Snake River Lager - Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub

Snake River LagerSnake River Lager

Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub visit their website
Wyoming, United States

Vienna Lager |  4.80% ABV

Snake River Lager is our most popular beer. This is an amber colored Vienna style lager. The rich, caramel flavor is balanced with the use of several hop varieties for a subtle hop note. An authentic German lager yeast strain adds to the true flavor of this beer. The malt forward profile of Snake River Lager makes it a fine complement to pizzas and red meat.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-10-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Snake River Lager Alström Bros
4.68/5  rDev +24.5%

Appearance - hazy, soft looking flat, dark orange. White creamy head is thin but is trying to keep a covering. Some scattered streaky lacing.

Aroma - nice malty sniff with a lurking hop florality.

Taste - hey, that's not bad at all! A smooth tasting Vienna with some superb hop presence that is neither biting nor distracting from the intended style. That's a great way to work in the hop flavor without it taking over, in fact they taste almost gentle. I'm impressed. I salute their creativity on this one.

Mouthfeel - smooth and average to a little below average carbonation. Good weightiness complements the flavor very well.

Drinkability - one to seek out, IMO. I've only had a couple Vienna style lagers, this one is tops.

4.63/5  rDev +23.1%

BBD of 1 May.

Pours caramel with a 2 fingers deep tan head. Good lacing and okay head retention

Smell: Caramel, malt & nuttiness

Taste: Rich toasty malt and ever so slight spiciness. Dry & malty finish

mF: Great balance (malts & hops combine nicely) and very good carbonation

Super drinkability, from this underrepresented style. Compares favorably to any I drank in Germany, seek this out

4.6/5  rDev +22.3%

Tried a sample of this at the brewpub, and it really stood out as outstanding (redundant, I know). The thin head from pouring melts to almost nothing (though what *is* left is quite active), the beer has a rich, dark slightly cloudy amber color. The malty , nutty flavor leaves a nutty aftertaste, as well. I really wish I'd bought more to take home with me - my g/f keeps stealing drinks from mine!

4.55/5  rDev +21%

Notes from a trip to Colorado and Wyoming - May 2002 Purchased in Jackson Hole, WY.

Yes sir, I liked it. I liked it a whole bunch. Color of amber but with a nice hazy brown tint along with a nice, off-white head that was pretty thick and frothy. Smell is lightly hinted but so good and fresh. Had a nice caramel malt and hop presence, it was soft on the nose and very pleasing. Sip, slurp, ahhhh. So good, great medium body feel and tight with flavor. Smooth toasty malt with just the right touch of hop bitterness, but the malt is left to really stand out. Everything comes together so nicely. The finish is a touch sweet, very nicely done. Toasty fresh, robust,and flavorful, packed nicely with a 6% punch. This is one awesome Vienna style beer, one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. Very drinkable and enjoyable. Highly recommend picking some up if ever in Jackson Hole,Wyoming.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%

This one pours from 12oz bottle a medium gold with a large head of foam that shrinks slowly leaving just a few small "islands and some lacing" by the end of the session. This is one pretty beer to look at, for sure.

The smell is a nice mix of sweet malt tempered by some citrus hops. Delicate but nice.

The taste on first sip has an abundance of sweet malt and grain with a good earthy presence. Further sips in and I get a bit of hoppiness but the malt is king here and..swishing the brew in my mouth, I get a kind of a candy sugar flavour that is very pleasing indeed. Very tasty. The more I sip, the more the graininess and earthyness comes to the forefront and I have to slow down lest the liquid gold in my glass will disappear way too quickly. In other words, this one's drinkability is really amazing. I've had this many times before and I was surprised that I hadn't reviewed it until now. In my book, this is a top notch Lager that yeah, fits the style to which it was placed very nicely.

Bottom line: A most excellent in all ways example of the style. I can *only* recommend it!

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

Dark gold/light amber with a light tan head, good carbonation, and good lace. Very nice spicy Vienna Malt aroma. A soft malty character with light malt spiciness. Light bodied (leans medium) with medium carbonation. A very good example of the style.

Enjoy by Oct 02 Tasted 12/06/02

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

I'm normally not a lager fan, but this is one heckuva good lager, one that
will leave me reminiscing about my trip to Jackson, WY. Poors with a nice cloudy dark amber body with a thick frothy head. It has a wonderful sweet malty aroma, with some nice subtle grain and hops notes. It has a light, sweet, malty flover, with a pleasant sweet followthrough hinting of hops and fruit. A wonderful light mouthfeel, as well. Very drinkable, and highly recommended

4.38/5  rDev +16.5%

pours a amber, off gold color with a half inch of clean white head , head fades to a small cap but remains most of beer.
Nice lacing for entire drink.

Aroma is sweet , malt almost a little fruit. But to me the sweet malt stands out.

Tastes the same as it smells just a little deeper , sweet , toasted malt . A slight after taste but doesn't linger.

Good mouth feel a little heavier than expected.

good carbonation , good finish , easy drinking.

4.38/5  rDev +16.5%

First off this is my first beer review.

Appearance: Orange amber color. Able to see through the beer. Darker than most lagers.

Smell: To me more hoppy than grainy. Smells like a good lager to me.

Taste: More bitter finish than I like. Smooth, Clean, Crisp. Low alcohol lift. Very Very pleasant beginning. I get a stout note mid finish.

Mouthfeel: Light

Drinkability: Relatively fast for a person who cannot chug. One of my most favorite lagers hands down.

For me I am a larger fan but lagers do not have the flavors I look for when I drink a beer up in the Teton Mountains.

4.38/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy light amber color with a fluffy head that leaves a bunch of lace behind

Smell: Nice caramel aroma for a lager, with a hint of balsa wood underneath

Taste: Opens with a bready flavor that builds in caramel sweetness by mid-palate; after the swallow, the modest earthy bittering provides a nice foil to the caramel

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, almost creamy, with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This is one of those beers that redeems the much-maligned world of lagers; really nice

Thanks, younger35, for the opportunity

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

another hearty thanks goes out to pokesbeerdude for sending the snake river love my way! enjoyed from my blue point snifter.

a - brew poured a semi-transparent auburn brown with a HUGE super foamy creamy head. as the head vanished into...ya know, i don't really know where the head goes when it goes away...none-the-less, it left MASSIVE milk shake like chunks on the side of the glass. the glass was coated. looks appetizing.

s - sweet toasted malts with a good amount of grain and barley. some hints of brown sugar.

t - hoo ha!!! tastes pretty awesome. i'm a big fan of this style...love me some sam adams boston lager and blue point toasted lager...but this beer takes the cake. really wonderful sweet malts. perfect amount of grain and caramel.

m - crisp and refreshing. soft carbonation.

o - overall, paint me impressed. snake river steps to the plate AGAIN!!! hell of a beer. worth checking out even if you don't dig lagers...this one might turn you around. for the style, i couldn't imagine this beer being any better.

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

12oz picked up at the Coop today for about $1.40.. poured into my Delirium tulip.

Crusty big bubble head takes a while to die down.. clear orange brew.

Clean malts are the lion's share of the aroma.. toasted more than caramel.

Flavor is very fresh... inviting.. very smooth and drinkable.. toasted malts with a low earthy hop presence.. Great body for the style and again.. drinkable for days.

Everyone loves Zonker, but the Vienna lager is my favorite Snake River brew... Fantastic.

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

I moved to jackson hole wyoming about 6 months ago to ski. the first night i got here i went to the closest bar to my motel, which turned out to be the snake river brewery. I had just gotten done with a 10hr drive and I figured a simple easy drinking lager would be the best bet since i knew nothing of the brewery. After 2 sips i was in love stating, "this is the best beer I've ever had." Its not but it is damn good. 6 months and some 200 lagers later...

Serving type: a growler filled today at the brewery - doesn't get much better

Appearance: amazing. the head is perfect. about 1 in thick. dissipates to a permanent lacing in about 3 minutes. color is a rich caramel amber. slight thickness gives a nice coating to the glass - appropriate for this style.

Smell: My nose isn't great but the smell is pleasing and sweet with a little bit of toastedness

Taste: at first this beer is smooth smooth smooth with not too much carbonation. Then the sweet malt and gentle hops kick in. This is definitely a sweet lager but with a tiny bit of sourness and a combination of hops (giving slight bitterness to several areas of the mouth) that makes the drink feel smoother and more balanced on the tongue while still being sweet primarily. The aftertaste is where things go sour, literally. Its not bad but the beer definitely becomes more sour in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Great, i don't like too much carbonation in my beer and in my opinion this one hits the target. thickness is perfect. Only thing keeping this from a 5 is the feel of sourness on my tongue afterwards.

Drinkability: Also great. I've had many nights of drinking 10 of these. The only problem is the accumulation of sourness. but while you're drinking this its a 5+ on drinkability

4.25/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 22 oz brown bomber with a best enjoyed before date clearly printed.

Appearance: Orange amber with frothy tiny-bubbled lace. Great head retention.

Smell: Malty with hints of toasted malt and faint caramel, clean to the nose.

Taste: Moderate carbonation, medium bodied and very malty. The mouth feel is extraordinarily smooth as the substantial large toasted malt character creeps all around the taste buds. Subdued hop profile with only a touch of bitterness, this leaves the malt to shine through. A faint fruitiness and some residual sweetness reside in the end.

Notes: On the sweet and malty side. Fresh, flavorful and lively pack in a tight and clean palate. A beer I will unquestionably regard as one of the best in its style.

4.25/5  rDev +13%

12 ounce bottle. Hazy amber colored with a small head. Sweet, fruity aroma. Toasy malt flavor with some caramel and fruits. The tangy fruit flavor is more pronounced than in most beers of the style. Quite hoppy too. I really enjoy the balance of flavors in this beer. It's not really typical to style, but who cares. Between this beer and the Zonker stout, Snake River appears to be an impressive brewery.

4.24/5  rDev +12.8%

4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

Simply a top-notch vienna lager. Well rounded and lovely to drink.
Pours a great-looking dark peach with a dense, creamy head.
Big, sweet malts on the nose and in the taste. Fruit sweetness and carmel manifest themselves here. Some toasty note are evident as well. This is balanced by a touch of hop bitterness. Maybe I would prefer just a little more, but it is very difficult to argue with the balance and results of this bier.
Pretty robust, with a delightfully smooth mouthfeel.
Stellar brew all around. Highly recommended.

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

Served in a pub glass. I must say that lagers are not among my favorite styles and I have not had that many of them.

Pours a strong amber color with a large creamy head that melts into practically nothing very quickly. Light body with medium loose carbonation.

Smells mostly of caramel maltiness with a light spicy citrus aroma. Vague grassy/earthiness.

Tastes of sweet malt with carmel/toffee flavors. Finishes with a light spicy, citrus (lemon?) dryness. Somewhat earthy in the sweetness and grassy in the dryness. It is almost like very mild lemongrass finish without the extremeness.

Excellent mouthfeel and drinkability. Surprising mouth fullness for a light bodied beer without being oily or filmy. I started to crave a big old beefy burger to eat with this. I could drink these all the time. Smooth and tasty. Maybe a little too easy to drink.

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer was poured into a pub glass.

Apperance: The beer pours a glowing copper coloration. The beer has a thin biege colored head. The head has minimal retention.

Smell: The beer has a very rich toasted caramel maltyness. This combines well with a grassy smell.

Taste: The beer has a pleasing toasted malt. The beer has a good grassy hop bitterness at the tail end of the taste.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is medium bodied. The beer has ample carbonation. The beer is on the sweeter side but has a good complementing grassyness. The beer is major league drinkable. I could suck these down all day long.

4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Holy overcarbonated-beer, Batman!

I got a 12oz bottle in a trade from Fishdawg71. I pop the top and begin to pour it into a 16oz glass and I am overwhelmed with head(heh)! There is easily about 4-5 inches of head and I have barely poured any in yet! Anyways it comes out an appealing golden straw color with quite a bit of haze. The foam on this is absolutely gorgeous! You know thos nice lazy summer days when you look up into a vast blue sky and see it plastered with thick, puffy cumulonimbus clouds? You know what I mean? Yeah think of that, only in a glass. It also collapses in a very unique way; it doesn't dissipate evenly, instead it partially falls and I'm left with a mountain of head! It's been about five minutes and I'm still letting this beast do it's thing! The first thing I smell is alcohol and lots of it. There's a pretty dominant backbone of bread-like malts, which smells absolutely delicious. Probably not surprising, but this beer tastes much like smells; plenty of alcohol and malt with very little hops. I'm certainly not complaining, in fact I like it. It tastes pretty light on the tongue but it has way too much carbonation for my taste. Who knows, maybe it was a bad batch. I'd definitely try this one again!

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours almost like a true pale ale, surprising how good this looks. The head isn't as attractive, but the sheer color is nice. Incredibly malty on the nose, almost like a nice sweet pastry. Not much of a hop presence noticed yet. A very interesting mouthfeel, that is creamy yet very light. Low carbonation, that gives way to biscuits and sweet caramel. Not much more I can say, rather than its quite drinkable and somewhat complex

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

I'm glad to see the distribution of this brewery getting better.
Pours a nice amber color. Darker than a typical Vienna...more like an Oktoberfest.
Smells malty. Not a huge hops presence, but some.
Flavor is sweet, followed by a little grain and lager yeast. Caramel and hazelnut are the flavor that come to mind. Maybe gingerbread? Much like the smell, this one isn't huge on the hops, but the malt MORE than makes up for it. I like this one.
Mouthfeel is light and makes this one go down like a lager, but it's got more than enough flavor to appease someone looking for something bold.
I could drink these one after another until I ran out.

I can see why this is listed as a Märzen/O-fest as that's really what it reminds me of. Granted I haven't had too many Vienna's, but this one stands as a WONDERFUL beer no matter the style. Now that I can get this anywhere, I think this will be my new "always in the fridge" beer.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

A-Amber colored with orange notes....not much head but nice lacing on the glass.

S-Nice toasted maltiness with a little toffee as well...smells very good

T-A nice toasted malt backbone..certainly nothing complicated here but it is nice.

M-Just a little bit watery....wish it had just a little more body...it's close to where I'd want it but kind of splitting hairs I'd like it a tad bigger.

D-Nice flavorful vienna lager that would be a great summer session beer.

Snake River Lager from Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub