Zonker Stout - Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub

Zonker StoutZonker Stout

Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub visit their website
Wyoming, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  6.00% ABV

A rich, well-balanced foreign style stout with a huge amount of roasted barley as well as chocolate, black, and caramel malts. The intense roast character is the main attribute of this black colored beer. The alcohol content is 6.0%. Zonker has been recognized time and again as one of the top foregin style stouts.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zonker Stout Alström Bros
RBorsato

Dark black with a low dark brown head, decent carbonation and decent lace. Strong chocolate malt aroma. Chocolate and roasty malt flavor - Rich and Robust ! Medium (leans full) bodied and creamy with a roasty finish. Awesome !!

Hard to choose between this and Moose Juice Stout so I'll choose both !!

Note: Silver medal winner 1994 GABF (Dry Stout)

Best By: Nov (assuming '02 - "02" embossed on bottom of bottle)
Tasted: 04/25/03

New Hampshire

11-28-2011 20:08:44 | More by Rochefort10nh
KarlHungus

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

This beer pours a think opaque black color. The head is an inch in height, and recedes slowly into a quarter inch of tan foam that sticks around. The aroma is very intense. Graham cracker, milk chocolate, cream, and lot of roasted malt. This is everything I like in the aroma of a stout. The taste is just as intense, and just as thought provoking. The mouthfeel medium bodied with a silky texture, and appropriately low carbonation. Overall, this is a great beer. I can't remember the last time a beer impressed me this much. It has probably been years. There is really nothing out of the ordinary going on in this beer. It is just a stout done as well as a stout can be done, and at a ABV that let me enjoy it all night long.

09-02-2009 22:40:27 | More by KarlHungus
kaszeta

New Hampshire

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

The beer camed with a deep, deep black body and a thick dark caramel head that lingered. The beer sports a strong roasted malt aroma with plenty of mocha turns, and a bit of a pleasant burnt smell. Tastewise, this was a wonderful stout: a bit of initial bite, plenty of sweet maltiness rolling over your tongue, fading to coffee and roasted malt aftertaste. A well-balanced, smooth, rolling mouth feel. A very drinkable stout, easy one of my top five. I highly recommend it.

05-23-2003 18:57:40 | More by kaszeta
andyo

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

What else can I say that hasn't been said from the other reviews? I had this on Labor Day almost on accident. I reached into my buddies cooler (in the dark) and pulled this beer out, as well as an Old Rasputin. Having had the Rasputin on several occasions, I opted for the Zonker Stout. I'm glad I did.

Jet black in appearance, with an earthy, chocolate nose. Upon first taste I was pleasantly surprised! This beer is fantastic! It's not that it is far too different from most stouts, it is just somewhat better. It seemed to me that all the best qualities of a stout were just magnified in this beer a bit- kicked up a notch! This beer resemebled milk chocolate flavors, with a faint nutty vanilla background. Nice espresso notes come through with a bit of hops in the finish. Very balanced, very good.

This beer could easily become a session stout for me. I will definately be visiting this one again.

09-10-2004 12:54:21 | More by andyo
thomas2357

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

08-22-2014 02:46:37 | More by thomas2357
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Pitch black dark all the way through after a rough pour forms a standard sized two finger width head dark tan in color that as it dwindles leaves behind fine even lacing. Aroma: Robust milk chocolate creamy edge with coffee accents what an excellent smelling brew with just a touch of hops to balance. Taste: Ideal stout, Wyoming has it good robust sweet chocolate slight coffee very creamy just rolls along the palate bringing an immediate smile to this imbiber's grill. Does a finish a tad on the dry side with just noticeable amounts of alcohol session stout, pick this one up by the case you won't be sorry. Mouthfeel: Full body creamy texture doesn't even attempt to sit heavy with me what a perfect mouthfeel with dead on carbonation, great stuff. Drinkability: Perfect I'm a believer in the things I heard of this stout all expectations of this rare brew have been met, thank you for being available in Cleveland.

09-09-2004 22:54:25 | More by WVbeergeek
dwren89

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: ink black, opaque, dark tan head

Aroma: chocolate, coffee, and roasty caramel, clean yeast

Taste: great chocolate flavor that fades To caramel on the finish, with a semisweet coffee and caramel hint to it. Smooth and easy drinking. Exceptionally well balanced

Mouthfeel: smooth, creamy, thick, and soft. A great sipper with full body and low carbonation

Overall: Fantastic overall. Great semisweet chocolate with coffee and caramel hints. Well balanced, creamy, and easy drinking.

01-08-2014 00:43:17 | More by dwren89

Penguin3200

02-07-2013 15:48:35 | More by Penguin3200
DanThomas

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Easily the best stout, of any kind, that I've tried to date.

A- Simple. Black opaque, minimal foam rim, no lacing.

S- Pure roasted barley dominates, and a mild nutty coffee undertone.

T- The roasted barley dominates initially (and it's an extremely dark roast), but the finish is a nice melange of complex roasted flavors, particularly coffee and maybe hazelnuts. Finish is a good amount of bitter.

M- Sharp carbonation in between the initial intake and the finish, maybe a little too much, but it helps introduce that wonderful roasted complexity on the finish. Beer feels substantial, too, like drinking (or chewing) french press coffee as opposed to something like drip.

D- It's both strong and robust, perfect for cold winter nights by the fire, and light and refreshing for warmer weather/ lighter occasions. I don't know how they do it, but this is a fantastic stout for any occasion. Unbelievable.

10-24-2010 23:52:46 | More by DanThomas
brewdlyhooked13

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Prepare yourself for this one, it's a keeper. The pour reminds me of the 20W-50 I used to put into my VW. Not as thick, but this is a solid beer. Awesome looking mocha head that I initially thought had a shot at lingering due to its creamy foam, but alas it was gone inside of two minutes.

Interesting aroma experience for me. I detected some kind of grassy, earthy smell that I couldn't quite identify, seemed a little out of place for a stout, it had me thinking this was going to be a break from the mainstream stout style. Towards the end of the glass the smell turned abruptly to strong chocolate and coffee persuasion. I'm not sure how that happened. I had been munching on popcorn prior to the tasting, maybe that affected my olfactory pickups for a bit until the stout burned on through. Fantastic aroma eventually, though.

The is a different stout in that it starts out with more of a bite than the typical stout. A very smooth mouthfeel, nice mellow coffee tones at first, followed by a slightly bitter finish. Towards the end, the chocolate started coming through really strong, it's unusual for a beer flavor profile to change like that from beginning to end. Maybe I was just picking up the flavors better as the liquid warmed up a bit. Wish I'd had another to explore this more thoroughly, I see a mail order in the future...

This beer is quite well-balanced between the malt and hops, it's an easy drinker for the whole six pack, a difficult statement for a stout as my mouth can become anesthetized (sp) after a few dark ones. This beer makes quite the statement, however.

10-31-2002 12:56:04 | More by brewdlyhooked13
CHickman

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Came with the Beer of the Month Club. Pours black with zero visibility and a 1/2 inch creamy chocolate milk like head; smells of coffee, roasted malts, caramel, burnt wood and maybe some rum or raisin...this is a robust odor that's quite pleasing and is a cross between a nice roasted or burnt coffee and a chocolate shake.

Tastes like it smells with coffee, roasted malts, caramel, burnt wood, coco and/or chocolate, nut, molasses and light hops at the end. It has a heavy feel but smooth or maybe slick on the tongue and the malts dominate with medium carbonation, yet the hop finish makes it feel crisp and lighter than it is as it goes down smooth overall. The carbonation is actually perfect and allows for savoring of the complex malt and coffee mix that is present throughout this brew. The finish is on the dry side where the nut and roasted malt flavor peek through before the hops make an appearance.

A really enjoyable beer for anyone who likes stouts, or coffee for that matter. A definite recommendation, as this brew is not too sweet and yet the malts carry the taste with such a nice mix of coffee, chocolate and roasted flavor. Drinkability is very high, as I could drink this beer all night or have it with a meal. Glad this arrived in the mail!

01-15-2010 03:45:56 | More by CHickman
mentor

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Bottle provided by mattcrill, ala BIF16. Actually, that bottle arrived empty, but then I saw the same beer at Liquor Mart (Boulder) a couple days later. I never would have tried it otherwise, thanks for the suggestion. The freshness notch on the side of the bottle is Oct. Pours a half finger brown-tan head over a black liquid. Poured thicker than I expected from a stout, more like a very dark B-wine. Smells tamed coffee. Roast, but sweetened and with a hint of chocolate. It's got a lactose smell to it, which is a scent I often get in oatmeal stouts, too. Overall the smell is subdued and simple. Tastes of coffee muted with a milk and caramel sweet. I can't tell if the roast is gentle or if the other characteristics steal away the bitter punch of the roast. It's got a little bit of an alcohol sting and some grassy hop character which is coming across to me as Williamette. The sweet runs out in the finish leaving the beer dry and with the feel of roasty bit on the tongue. Wow, I'm really impressed by this simple little stout from a small brewery in the state to the north. Mouthfeel is md-thick and, although the carbonation is fine, it's a bit sharper and more than I would expect. As the beer warms, a sour (from black patent) appears, but this is new challenge of angst is countered by a thick chocolate that has also risen. Well done, this was a really nice offering.

09-25-2005 10:08:15 | More by mentor
dqderrick

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Served at 47°F.

Nice frothy chocolate milk colored head that has staying power. Awesome. Nice lacing on the side of my glass. I'm not sure a beer this style could have a better appearance. 5.

Chocolate hits the nose with roasted malts. The smell isn't as strong as I hoped, but quality is better than quantity I suppose. 4.

Taste is mellow, dark roasted, a little sweet honey, maybe a hint of tobacco with a pinch of cocoa and maybe... I'm reaching here, a little coffee. Fun stuff here. 4.5

Mouthfeel bangs it out of the park. The carbonation plays on my palate and makes for a bubbly mellow experience that begs for more... and more. What a great 6.0 % beer! 5.0

I could drink several of these. The flavor is approaching imperial stout levels which blows me away. I don't drink many regular stouts, but I've had Mad River's Stout, SN's Stout and a couple other within the last 6 months... this one is better. Not by a lot, but it stands out. 4.5

In closing, I got this through a trade with JohnGalt1 who has always been a GREAT trader. I can't get this local to me in San Diego so I probably won't be getting more any time soon. Maybe I'll throw this on my WANTS in case I can pick one up as an extra.... hmmm.

08-28-2009 04:57:05 | More by dqderrick
orfeu

New Mexico

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

I've been wanting to try this stout for quite some time, and now through the gracious efforts of one pimpp I have an opportunity (x3, in fact) to do so. Best before the end of January (2008, I presume). Oily, viscous, pitch body with densely packed, fat head of dark tan foam. Sticky clumps of lacing. Chocolate, roast, dark toffee, slight herbal hop aroma. Firm roastiness wrapped in robust baker's chocolate and coffee flavors. Soft mineral twang and leafy-musty hops accent the lingering, char-inflected finish. Silky smooth body, gorgeous in its balance of substance and unobtrusiveness. Incredibly drinkable. Reminds me of why I love stouts so much. I wish they all could be as fantastic as this one.

11-16-2007 04:51:44 | More by orfeu
cokes

Wisconsin

4.63/5  rDev +11%

Looks like liquid sin poured from the bottle. Absolutely pitch black, seems non-carbonated as it is poured, then a decent tan head cascades up from nowhere and decides to stick around and leave filthy amounts of lace down the sides of the glass.
Burnt dark fruit, strong coffee and earthiness are all over the aroma and the taste buds, with a quelling sense of milk chocolate. The hops kick in and add peppery spicy notes to the melee. More earthiness and coffee follow, and ride long past the swallow.
While intense in all aspects, this beer delivers what a top notch stout should. Certainly a treat for stout lovers.

02-19-2002 00:51:37 | More by cokes
electricfields

Idaho

4.63/5  rDev +11%

A: Gave it an aggressive pour and came up with a quickly dissipating finger-and-a-half hot chocolate brown head with an opaque dark reddish-brown body.

S: Lots of roasted malts and caramel. A slight coffee bitterness. Smells really delicious.

T: Sort of tastes like a bitter mocha. Chocolate and coffee of course, with a nice light honey style sweetness. This is probably one of the better stouts I've had lately, and definitely renews my faith in a style that i wasn't really sold on before.

M: Nice and thick without being syrupy. A little sticky, but refreshing. Very creamy with a good amount of carbonation. Pretty much exactly the exact texture I expect from a good stout.

D: This is about as drinkable a stout as you're going to find. Good from the second it's poured 'til the second you're pouring another.

10-15-2009 22:22:47 | More by electricfields