Zonker Stout - Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub

Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub visit their website
Wyoming, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-26-2001

A rich, well-balanced foreign style stout with a huge amount of roasted barley as well as chocolate, black, and caramel malts. The intense roast character is the main attribute of this black colored beer. The alcohol content is 6.0%. Zonker has been recognized time and again as one of the top foregin style stouts.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Zonker Stout Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Never heard of this brewery or beer but I got it down in Ohio over the holidays on a whim. Definitely a good choice!

Pours an opaque black with a medium airy caramel colored head. Head reduces to nothing and lacing is a bit weak.

Aroma is strong on rich, high quality dark chocolates. Roasted barley and smoky undertones accompany the chocolate. A bit of half and half seems to be there as well.

Taste is similar to aroma but an espresso precense I didn't get in the smell arrives. More of a dry yeast flavor also comes midway through to even out the chocolates. Finish has a bittersweet chocolate taste with a touch of acidity to clean it up.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy, but its not really smooth. Its very thick and chewy. Odd but I like it.

Overall quite drinkable and enjoyable. I regret only buying one bottle.

3.71/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a black, black with a dense brown head that falls with gobs of sticky lace left behind on my glass.

Aroma is roasted malts light coffee and light chocolate flavors mingled together with some light citrus hops.

Taste is nice roasted malt some epresso and dark chocolate intermingle but neither dominates. A decent stout flavorable but not anything extraordinary either. Finish is bitterness from the coffee like roasted malts and a light citrus hop presence.

Mouthfeel is a big medium with nice mellow carbonation.

Drinkabilitys is good an enjoyable easy drinking stout, great for everyday drinking. Thanks go to mentor for this extra treat he threw in.

12oz single, Brennan's on University

best by date is September, but I'm not too worried about this one

appearance: pours a dark mahogany, near black, slight ruby highlights...glorious creamy chocolate brown head, prety solid lacing on this one

smell: very powerful aromas, which was a nice sign...dark roasted coffee hits the nose first, a very smoky aroma only seems fitting for a Jackson Hole stout, cocoa powder is prevalent, plenty of roasted malts...delicious aromas

taste: well, this is a top notch stout. rich and dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, some sweet cherry, plenty of smoke, nicely roasted malts, light caramel and toffee, a mild clean hoppiness balances this one out nicely

mouthfeel: creamy, medium bodied

drinkability: quite drinkable

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from bottle a pitchblack with a smalish head that dissipated quickly leaving just a wee bit of lacing around the edge of the glass.

The smell is all about the roasted malt and the promise of good things to come.

The taste is pretty complex; roasted malt with chocolate and coffee tones up front and in the middle and a note of bitterness at the end. A very well made stout that is sure to satisfy. I'm very glad this is available locally!

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Inky blackness from a 12oz stubby bottle.

The aroma of sweet malts and chocolate dominate, with hint of coffee bean in there, too.

Taste is roasted malt, with a slight hoppiness that fades into a baker's chocolate sweetness.

Has a medium body and carbonation levels, smooth and easy to drink. Really enjoyable. I think I might have found a replacement for 8 Ball and Sierra Nevada Stout.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: A dark stout with a nice tan head. Small bubbles. The head doesn't last forever but there is some lacing.

Smell: Sweet fruits are upfront in the nose. Burnt caramel notes with a smokey finish.

Taste: Heavy roasted/smokey flavor. Figs and other dark fruits. Hops add a light spice to the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel is okay. I like a thicker stout.

Drinkability: This could easily be a session beer. It was for me on my last brew session.

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a very opaque black, some brown highlights, a medium tan head and lots of lace. Smell is sweet, with roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and a sweet smokiness. Taste is bizaare, as its watery and tasteless until the end of the sip when you're hit with a strong chocolate and roasted coffee bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, low carbonation and silky smooth.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Picked this up on a whim while on vacation out west. My first brew from Wyoming!
Pours a deep, dark brown, basically black, topped with a large bubbled, toffee colored head. Entirely opaque. Impressive amounts of lace, clinging to the glass everywhere. Smells fairly standard for an american brewed stout. Charry malt, mild citric hop notes, cocoa, coffee, and a dash of toffee for good measure. Pretty clean, with perhaps a soft note of oak, cracked nutshells and damp earth. The flavor opens with a surprisingly smooth dark roast coffee presence. Burnt malt, cocoa, and a light hint of cream. Is this an oatmeal stout? The mouthfeel is super smooth, gentle carbonation, just gliding into the finish. A touch of woody/nutty flavor, like walnuts, into the finish, meeting a well balanced, mildly piney hop flavor. Excellent bittersweetness from the malt, lingering on the palate long after each sip. Roast, roast and more roast. Bigger bodied than I expected, on the fuller side.
Quite complex for a beer of session strength. Absolutely delicious, this is a gem of a beer. Now to figure out how to get more.

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

A dark brown head a half inch thick, composed of fine bubbles, topped this black beer that had faint chocolate highlights. Decent head retention too and some lacing to boot. The aroma was creamy, with a light roast coffee character and milk chocolate. The flavour started out quite weak and watery, but sweetness soon followed. Things picked up at the midpoint, with chocolate and hop flavours accompanying a moderate bitterness. A thick, lactose sweetness also showed up at this point. It finished roasty and off-dry, with some lingering acidity. Silky, viscous body and low carbonation with a bit of slickness. Overall, it had a good flavour once it kicked in, but I found myself enjoying it less as I proceeded through the bottle. Thanks Viggo!

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

Bottle provided by mattcrill, ala BIF16. Actually, that bottle arrived empty, but then I saw the same beer at Liquor Mart (Boulder) a couple days later. I never would have tried it otherwise, thanks for the suggestion. The freshness notch on the side of the bottle is Oct. Pours a half finger brown-tan head over a black liquid. Poured thicker than I expected from a stout, more like a very dark B-wine. Smells tamed coffee. Roast, but sweetened and with a hint of chocolate. It's got a lactose smell to it, which is a scent I often get in oatmeal stouts, too. Overall the smell is subdued and simple. Tastes of coffee muted with a milk and caramel sweet. I can't tell if the roast is gentle or if the other characteristics steal away the bitter punch of the roast. It's got a little bit of an alcohol sting and some grassy hop character which is coming across to me as Williamette. The sweet runs out in the finish leaving the beer dry and with the feel of roasty bit on the tongue. Wow, I'm really impressed by this simple little stout from a small brewery in the state to the north. Mouthfeel is md-thick and, although the carbonation is fine, it's a bit sharper and more than I would expect. As the beer warms, a sour (from black patent) appears, but this is new challenge of angst is countered by a thick chocolate that has also risen. Well done, this was a really nice offering.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

09/04/05- On tap via samplers at the Snake River Brewery in Jackson Hole, WY.

Presentation- Two 5oz samplers via the tap.

Appearance- Deep black color with a light chocolate brown colored head. Excellent lace.

Smell- One of the best scents from a stout I have set my nose upon. Huge hit of burnt coffee grounds, plus some dark chocolate and cigarette smoke smell.

Taste- Super deep burnt flavor. Large smoky taste as well. First you get the coffee grounds, then the rest is mostly smoke flavoring. I would almost put this in a smoked beer category.

Mouthfeel- Super smooth, close to velvety. Very small carbonation effect.

Drinkability- Not a huge fan of the smoke, but it worked fairly well with this beer. Lots of flavor in this one for sure.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Presentation: Label notched with a "best by" October '05

Appearance: Pure black pour into the snifter with a tan foamy head. It dissolves and leaves a tan ring around the glass. Pretty much what you would expect a stout to look like. Nothing penetrates this bad boy.

Smell: Strong chocolate profile with just a touch of a vinous and alcohol character. It comes out in the form of some ripened dark fruit. It's very subtle though. The chocolate dominates the nose.

Taste: Strong bitter chocolate presence. A hint of some oak, vanilla, and some dry roasted nuts. Again, the chocolate malts dominate here. The dry chocolate profile is very well done here.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp. Hedging towards over-carbonated but still on the good end of things.

Drinkability: A great stout for sure. Nice and roasty and can easily do a session with the lower ABV. Not sure I would agree with "outstanding" but I would highly recommend it. A classic example of an American Stout.

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

Knuckles picked this up for me in Montana along with a number of other delicious beers. Many thanks yet again for Knuckles and his 2005 beer safari.

Pours a very nice, deep dark brown - almost black from the squat bottle that I had. Overall the coloring was good, but I can't say that there was really anything to set it apart from other nice American Stouts that I've had. A coffee-colored head of tiny, round bubbles came up, but didn't linger quite as long as I had hoped.

Smell is wonderful on this one. Coffee, smoke, with a somewhat sharp woodiness to it. There's malt in there for sure, but the thing that gets me the most are the sharper elements in the nose.

Taste is good, but just a tiny bit disappointing after the nose. One thing I can say for sure is that this beer warms up well. My first sip didn't have the same kind of malty tones that my later ones did. Definitely there are notes of chocolate and smokey grains in there, but these are a little weak until the beer has had a chance to warm up.

The initial mouthfeel of this beer when it's cold may be its weakest point. It's almost too dry for me. I like an American stout to give you that creamy rich malty mouthfeel and this one didn't really get there until after it had warmed up a bit and then only a little.

If you like a dryer stout, this may not be a problem for you at all.

Overall this is a really good stout and one that I would have absolutely no problem drinking on a regular basis. I'd just make a point to let it sit for a few minutes before I started.

3.3/5  rDev -21.1%

came ina 12 oz brown short neck.
Very attractive looking dark, dark almost pitch black beer with purpleish toes, small very dark tan head good for the style.
Very strong and appealing aroma of dark unsweetned chocolate and sweet overripe black cherries.Cocoa powder and malted milk also
Weird after the great aroma I was expecting more, but what i got was a very sour , lactic tasting stout, with barelly a bit of chocolate flavour near the end and a very sweet aftertaste.
Mouthfeel was pretty mundane and too watery for the style.
I found this beer not very drinkable..a let down .
I hope this was just an odd bad bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

I moved to Bozeman, Montana back in December of 1995. Being a native Seattleite, this was my first exposure to real winter. It was a harsh introduction, as I quickly realized that there was no such thing as a "snow day" (of course, I didn't have a car, either, so that made life a little difficult as well). It was with great joy, then, when I dragged my frozen ass into Osco and picked myself up a six pack of Zonker to warm myself up (and, quite seriously, thaw out my ass). I've loved this stout ever since, and a decade's passing hasn't cooled my ardor. Come to me, sweet, sweet, Zonker. Knuckles misses you terribly.

Appearance: This may not be the Beer of the Sith that the Silver City Imperial Stout is, but it could pass for Palpatine's underpants of evil. Black, but not totally opaque. Slight hints of light brown/ruby around the edges if held up to the light, but the center of the glass is completely impenetrable, much like my wife.

Smell: This thing is so much more than I remember: oak, raisins, caramel and smoke. Pinot Noir? Syrah? Damn. Am I at the casino with my kids, or am I huffing beer? It's fantastic.

Taste: My initial reaction on drinking this beer is this: Wyoming! Fuck Yeah! Even though I don't care much for Wyoming itself (but by GOD do they have the nicest goddam rest stops I've ever had the pleasure to pee in), and Jackson, WY is about as representative of that state as Kenny G is of Washington. It's smoky, vinuous, raisiny and delicious. Stouts like this one just aren't fair to the other stouts of the world. I love you, Zonker Stout. You make me happy.

Mouthfeel: Again, if you could drink Salma Hayek's pants (and please god, let me try at least once!), this beer is the zymurgic equivalent. Understand, of course, that is is purely an idealized construct of what I envision Salma Hayek's pants to be in liquid form, and that I would drink them if covered with cat hair cigarette butts, and mold. But that's neither here nor there. This beer is one velvety smooth motherfucker, and strikes a perfect balance between malt character and malt body. A mouthfeel that belies its relatively low ABV. Yow.

Drinkability: Well, here I'm in a bit of a quandary. Not everyone can suck down stouts like I can, and this beer is only distributed as far as Montana (as far as I know). That said, I have downed so many cases of this spectacular beer that I'm going to rate it at a solid 4.5. Any stout that clocks in at a mere 5.8%, and tastes like a stout rather than an ill-named brown freaking ale needs to be supped as much as possible. Sadly, I only have one bottle left, squirreled away in my basement (ok, it's not IN my basement yet, but it's in my kitchen. Which is by my basement. Sort of. I'm working on it.).

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

It was on the verge of being thick and black when poured with a little bit of tan foam and little lace clinging to the side of the glass. The smell of roasted malts dominated this brew. The sweet/tart taste of roasted malts was well balanced. A nice stout.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

This beer is very dark brown (black out of the bottle) with brown edges. It sports 1cm of still, thick, brown head. Swoops and small spots of lacing. Strong aroma of toffee and cocoa. Acres of chocolate. Chocolate and toffee in front, a little watery in the middle. Medium body. Bitter chocolate-cocoa powder at the end. A little fruity too. Almost smoky in the aftertaste, with a little veggie. Not bad. Quite full-flavored.

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a medium deep brown head with excellent retention. Aroma of roasted malt with light sweet chocolate are easily detectable. Taste has a real creamy feel with a good dose of roasted malt and bitter hops. Lack a little something to make this truly great but still very enjoyable.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

12 ounce bottle. Pours out thick and black, with little head even with a hard pour. Roasted coffee and chocolate aroma. Big roasted flavor. High acidity. Bitter chocolate. This is a very flavorful stout. More hops than usual for this style of beer. Pretty drinkable for the style. While I enjoyed everything about this beer, nothing really blew me away. Still, this is definitely a stout worth looking into.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

This brewery known for this product alone. I found it a competent stout compared to what I had before in the style, and just a better than average brew. Syrupy, some sourness, not watery but not a full mouthfeel either. Picked up at Lina's this week near Cleveland, expiry date March. Now, if this is the past March, because they seems to have a fresh stock of beers from everything else I have seen, it shouldn't be significant.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Very dark brown coffee with a tight, cocoa-brown head that lasts. Sweet, milk chocolate, molasses, rum, roasted coffee, and some earthy bitterness make up the nose. Yum. Taste starts with dark fruit and chocolatey sweetness. Roasted barley comes on strong, leading to a coffee bitter, well-hopped finish. Lingering roasty sweetness. A great stout, right up there with Shakespeare. Big bodied, full, creamy mouthfeel. Delicious.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Jet black. Big sweet malts and plenty of roast on the nose. Choclate in there too. Dark tan head. A full mouthfeel of sweet malts. Soft feel. Hops present through the roast. The roast malts develop very well with chocolate flavors. The finish has a nutty taste, but very long roast flavors and plenty of hop bittering. A near perfect balance. Despite all the flavor, it still reatains a somewhat delicate mouthfeel.

A beer full of flavor. The last sip leaves you wanting another. SImply outstanding

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

This pours like motor oil with 20,000 miles on it - just like a stout should. Few bubbles, which dissipate rather quickly. The foam ring laces the side of the glass.

Smell of coffee. Some chocolate, some "bitter".

Tastes quite coffee like, but hints of carmel and unsweetened chocolate come through, along with, to me, roasted malts.

Mouthfeel is good, very creamy for a stout.

Decent body. Not thin.

The finish is very creamy, chocolatey, and at the very end some dry hops come along and clean the pallette, leaving the empty mouth with a clean fresh taste.

This is really good, I recommend it!

3.13/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours black with a thick brown head. Cocoa, roasted grain and chocolate malt in the nose. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. Bland front opens up to a bitter-sweet middle of roasted malt and barley. But a hop bitterness dominates the finish. Unfortunately, the flavor turns sour. Overly carbonated right out of the bottle, it softened as the beer warmed a bit to room temperature. This is not a great stout. Drinkable, but not worth purchasing again.

3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

Brought back directly from the Jackson Hole. It poured out like motor oil! The head was suprisingly darker than I have noticed from other stouts. It was almost a deep brown. The smell was somewhat pleasing with caramel, buttery, choclate aroma. The taste was nice upfront, but the finish was a little out of balance. The bitter chocolate and roasted nut were a little too sharp for me. It seemed to me that this was a little to heavy for an all nighter. Good stout overall, but a little overrated in my mind.

Zonker Stout from Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub