Pale Rider Ale - Capitol City Brewing

good

Capitol City Brewing visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 03-27-2004)
Reviews by dexterk1:
3.25/5  rDev -11%

dexterk1, Oct 20, 2013

DOCRW, Apr 23, 2014

czillmer, Apr 08, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

A hazy amber ale, an off-white head with good lacing, some curtains.

Fruity smell, apples and grape-fruit. Some toffee.

Tasting of brown bread, some honey, citric acidity and some alkaloid bitterness.

Medium carbonation, soft, small body, a dry finish.

Good hop composition, a bit to acid tough.

rarbring, Apr 01, 2012
3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

cyclonece09, Sep 05, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

SocalKicks, Aug 17, 2012

On tap at the Shirlington location. I don't drink pale ales all tha often, and so was a bit disdainful when I read the description of this beer at the brewpub (hophead's dream, or something to that effec). While this beer won't make me forget sculpin any time soon, I thought this pretty tasty for a pale ale.

The beer pours an amber orange color with pretty good head retention and lacing. The nose is certainly attractive, showcasing quite a bit of the simcoe hops I read about in the beer description. Yes, there's some sweet malt on the nose, but I also pick up some dry citrus and an impressive amount of dank earth as well (at least for a pale ale). The flavor profile replicates the nose in this well balanced, easy drinking pale ale. The beer has a bit more hoppy bitterness than what I normally encounter in a pale ale, though not overly so. Still, this medium bodied beer finishes fairly well, with a nice wash of hoppy bitterness. Alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile, and I have to say this is a very easy to drink pale ale.

Nothing extraordinairy here, but this a very easy to enjoy and appreciate pale ale.

John_M, Aug 10, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured ontap into pint glass from the downtown and Arlington locations. Pours a dark yellow pour with a foamy tan head, potent nose of floral hoppiness and a bit of sweet candi sugar, complex flavors of chocolate, rosy hops and peace compete with a nice and strong tart finish, an excellent APA. One of my favorite offerings from CCB.

CuriousMonk, Feb 07, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Notes from Thursday night's happy hour:

Came off the tap with a clear, reddish orange body with a medium white head that laced the glass quite nicely. Smells of citrusy hops and sweet malts. Tastes good: sweet malts up front before a bright blooming of hops make for a nice, dry finish. Good body, very drinkable. A terrific pale ale.

droomyster, Jan 31, 2009

mintfish, Sep 03, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

I'm not sure why I just poured this into my DuClaw Colssus snifter. Perhaps it's because I'm a badass?

A: Golden in color, crystal clear, and with a frothy white head that clung to the glass and then some.

S: Nice balanced hop character, with a tinge of candy sugar mixed in.

T: Much more bitter than sweet (which I appreciated), and the citrus was more on the grapefruity (piney) side as opposed to the orange one. Nice.

M: I wish the carbonation was a bit more spritzy overall, but that's just a minor complaint. I welcomed the bitterness...

O: I've had this one many times and have always enjoyed my session.

Chaney, Nov 12, 2011