Colorado Native Amber Lager - AC Golden Brewing Company

AC Golden Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Domingo on 04-05-2010

Colorado Native is a hand crafted lager made with all Colorado ingredients that celebrates the joys of life in Colorado.

Hold up a pint of Colorado Native and drink in its amber lager color, brought to life with pale and caramel malts from our famous Moravian 2-row barley. We painstakingly balanced its malt character against select Chinook, Centennial and Cascade hops to create a perfectly balanced, full-flavored beer. A lager yeast fermentation gives Colorado Native a slight fruitiness, complementing a citrus aroma note from a late kettle hop addition. Everything then comes together to deliver a clean taste and dry finish that is very drinkable by itself, or paired with your favorite foods.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colorado Native Amber Lager Alström Bros
4.02/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a 355 ml bottle (best by November 11, 2013) into a nonic glass.

A-An aggressive pour produces about one and one-half fingers of light khaki head. The retention is decent for a lager with a thick cap lingering for more than two minutes. The beer is pretty clear and medium amber in color.

S-The smell provides a nice balance between fruity (orange, maybe?) and lightly caramelized malt aromas and a drying, biscuity bitterness. The strength of the aroma is impressive for the style.

T-The taste provides a sharper, dryer, more hop forward experience that many beers of this style, but it works well here. I even detect some rye-like spice on the drying finish. That being said, there is still a nice caramel, fruity malt base.

M-The feel is medium to full body with lower carbonation levels. It is not heavy, but it provides some substance on the palate.

O-I tried this beer a few years ago when it first arrived and was less than enthused, but this second look was positive. The flavors are good and there is a great balance between malt and hop with a nice bite for the style. Setting aside the craft v. crafty issue here, I will drink this beer again. (1,164 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -35%

Bottle. Pours a reddish amber color with a slightly tan head. More red in appearance than I would have expected. I haven't had a lager in a while so this should be interesing. The aroma immediatly reminded me of walking through the Coors brewery when I was younger. Strong aroma of sweet malt and sweet corn. A slight hoppiness in the beginning followed by a subtle sweetness. The aroma is really the downfall on this one to me. Medium/light mouthfeel. Lingering bitterness. It's not terrible but it's not good either. (518 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -13.2%

Unfortunately I am not able to really see this beer as I am not able to drink it out of a proper glass right now...so I am drinking it out of the bottle. I don't imagine that it will make a heck of a lot of difference on this one, but my appearance comments will obviously be a little weak.

Appearance: Looks really clear in the bottle with no noticeable sediment on the bottom or anything. When I popped the top, there were a couple bubbles rising to the top, but nothing to write home about.

Aroma: Before the sip I am picking up a bit of hops in the aroma along with a very subtle sweet honey malt.

Taste: The flavor is really dry and the hops are very noticeable in the finish on the back of the throat for a while after the sip. It is so well attenuated that the hops are practically standing in a field all by themselves. I really can hardly tell that the malt is there except for a faint toasty honey-like thing going on somewhere in the finish, but is muddled by the hops.

Opinion: Well, this is an OK beer. I will drink the whole thing which is something to say for one of the big three. I am glad that I only got this one bottle in a "build your own six-pack" deal at the local liquor store. It might be OK for someone who has been brainwashed by the big three and is starting to think for themselves...otherwise there are a whole lot of better beers out there. (1,375 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Pour - dark golden in appearance with nice orange, brown and yellow hues. Very clean and clear with small bubbles streaming upwards and forming a good inch of thick, creamy white and foamy goodness. Looks very inviting.

Aroma - bread dough, biscuity, malty, caramel and a bit of apple combine with some citrusy hop aromas as well.

Taste - plenty of malt characteristics come out at first, this is sweet with some brown sugar flavors on the tongue. The sweetness is then followed immediately by a sharp, dry and bitter finish. Very crisp and refreshing...which is what I'd like to have in a lager. Very smooth and well-rounded with no off flavors. Instead this hits all the marks and comes together extremely well.

Overall - very impressive. I had my reservations at first but the folks at AC Golden have done a great job with this lager. I can't help but think that the packaging only improves upon something that was already well above par. If you live in Colorado definitely give this one a shot.

Would I buy more of it? - yes. I would be happy to get a 12-pack of this from time to time to stock the fridge or cooler this summer. This is an easy drinking, refreshing lager that would make both the craft beer enthusiast and the casual beer drinker very, very happy. (1,279 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the 3rd lager that's seen a bottled release from the Coors "craft" unit under the name AC Golden. I honestly liked the other two, so I'm looking forward to this one.
Pours a copper color with a really bubbly 1" head from a normal pour. The carbonation seems a tad bit heavy initially, but it calms down quickly and it does manage to lace the glass and stick around.
Smells hoppier than expected. Slightly sweet bready (Munich?) malts and American hops. It's a little familiar to be honest.
Oh...now I get it. It actually tastes a lot like Sam Adams Boston Lager. Dare I say it might be a tiny bit hoppier, but that's the inspiration. Bready and sweet up front, robust hops in the middle, and a finish that's dry with a little bit of lingering hop bitterness.
Easy drinking and tasty.
I could handle a couple at a time and not get sick of it.
It loses points for originality, but that isn't a BA score :)
I'd say it's a fine take on a Sam Adams-like brew that's no cheaper and with slight advantages/disadvantages in a few areas.

EDIT: I did a side by side, and this beer's hop profile from the 3 C's gives it more of a new world fruitier nose/taste (while the Boston Lager has more old world floral), but the two beers are pretty similar. Native definitely has more overall bitterness for better or worse, though.

Another interesting note. This beer is made with all Colorado ingredients from Monte Vista barley to hops from near Montrose. On tap I've found this brew to be a good go-to in the summer. Good stuff from Coors? Yes! (1,539 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

12oz skinny can.
A) Pours with a big white and creamy head that slowly settles. Clear bronze colored body.
S) A pleasant hop aroma with caramel malts but not too aromatic.
T) Caramel malts. Toffee. Subtle grainy-ness. Hints of citrus fruits and flowers. Mellow hops in the finish.
M) Medium light body. Dry in the finish. Clean throughout.
O) A delicious brew - proof that the "big boys" are capable of producing quality beer. (426 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%

Colorado Native has been out for months now. Its success has been remarkable. It currently outsells Fat Tire 6pks in our store 3 to 1. I recently realized that after enjoying so many 6pks of Colorado Native, I somehow failed to review it. Maybe I was just avoiding a difficult subject, maybe I thought my friendship with the brewers of this beer meant I should remain silent, maybe I've had a few drinks and I'm feeling ornery. Regardless, tonight I've got something to say.

Colorado Native is a surprisingly unique beer. Two things seem to draw immediate attention from most drinkers. The first is that Colorado Native is brewed with 100% Colorado ingredients. I think this is a really cool idea and an excellent way to highlight the potential for hop production here in Colorado. The second is that Colorado Native is "brewed by Coors." This is an easy knock to apply to the beer. Beer geeks love few things more than ripping on BMC producers. While there are certainly valid reasons for beer drinkers to express frustration with brewers like Coors, this particular claim is both confused and irrelevant.

To say that this beer is made by Coors is a half truth that doesn't tell the whole story. MillerCoors owns AC Golden much like they own Blue Moon, Molson, Leinenkugel and others. They brew on a small 30 barrel system and hand bottle their beer...inside the world's largest commercial brewery, the Coors facility in Golden, CO. If Colorado Native and other AC Golden products are well received and consumer demand grows, these brands may try to go nationwide. If they do that, I would expect to see these beers truly produced by Coors on their much larger equipment. I think the best way to look at AC Golden is as a brand incubator for Coors. Brew unique beer on a small scale and see what people think.

But in the end, I feel that this is a moot point. It is irrelevant. Many Beer Advocates have animosity towards brewers like Coors because they have come to represent the big, bad, multinational corporation out to ruin beer as we know it. If that is how you feel, so be it. You are entitled to your opinion. Me? I only care about how beer makes me feel when I drink it. If I enjoy it, I enjoy it, no matter who makes it. I suspect that deep down this is how most people feel too.

If Bud made beer that more people liked to drink, they wouldn't be part of InBev, they would still be the largest American-owned brewery. But they did not adequately adjust their product mix to satisfy the growing and more profitable segment of the beer market that wants more from their beer. For generations, most Americans wanted a light, fizzy, and above all, inexpensive beer, so that is what brewers brewed. They may have helped drive our opinions with marketing, but in the end, they brewed what they thought most people wanted. If AC Golden is an attempt to brew a new kind of beer for a new and growing subset of the beer market and they brew beer that I want to drink, who the fuck cares who bank rolls them? Good beer is good beer.

Rant over.

Colorado Native pours a light copper body with a bone white head that leaves a patchwork of lacing on my glass.

The nose is unlike any lager I have experienced. It smells like an American Pale Ale, showcasing the Colorado-grown Chinook, Centennial, and Cascade hops it was brewed with. That's right, this is a lager brewed with citrus "C" hops. To me, this is what makes Colorado Native so special.

The flavor is equally as impressive. It opens with toasty, bready malt that leads to a fruity, citrusy, floral hop finish. Bitterness is not too high, it stays true to its Lager roots. But American hop varietals are still at the forefront.

The body is medium to full for the style, the finish long.

Colorado Native is a total session beer. It manages to, "combine the great hop and malt flavors of a pale ale with the soft, delicate features of a lager." This is hands down the best Amber Lager I have tasted. If more Lagers tasted like this maybe Lager wouldn't be the curse word it appears to have become in the Craft Beer community. And maybe if the big boys brewed more beer like this, we wouldn't care so much about words like Craft. (4,193 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +11.1%

This beer pours, from the can, a dark amber color with a plentiful cap of foam. The lager has an inviting aroma with a wonderful mixture of clean barley malts and bittering hops. The accent on malt is a nice touch. A smooth and clean feel on the on the palate leads to caramel notes with a slightly bitter, nicely balanced, finished. A great refreshing beer to enjoy while at the ballpark. (389 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +13.7%

Thanks to my brother in law for bringing me a sixer of this.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint. This beer pours a golden caramel with a decent 2 inch head that quickly disappears even though the glass has a nucleation point. Just a bit of wispy lacing is left as I drink the beer. The aroma is good. Up front is a nice malt backbone with caramel and toast. A nice hop aroma is also present. I'm surprised with a bit of grapefruit and lemon. The flavor is much the same. Straight forward with a nice bready background and hops up front. Nothing muddling, straight forward. Nice and clean. Really tasty. Coors has done a really good job with this beer. I'm looking forward to seeing what else they put out. (723 characters)

I've had Colorado Native a few times now and decided to pick up a 6-pack for the wife and friends as I think it would appeal to a variety of drinkers, plus its a Colorado brew! Time for review...

A - Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass. The beer pours a soft copper/amber with a finger head of perfectly white head with decent retention and lacing.

S - Surprisingly hoppy aroma. I know they used Colorado grown hops but I wasn't expecting such a hoppy nose.

T/M - The beer starts with toasted specialty grains immediately and transitions to the hop character: almost a floral fruity citrus mix with mild bitterness. The beer finishes clean with a hint of hops on the palette that lingers. Medium bodied.

D - Very drinkable.

Overall, I found Colorado Native to be a unique beer. It's easy to put down and is a nice blend of lager and hops. I'd recommend you try it should you be given the chance.

Reviewed on: 01-31-2011 13:36:53 (1,095 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was ready to hate on this beer, given its association with megabrewer Coors, but that was impossible to do after the first few sips. Great head retention and lace particularly for a bottled beer. The aroma is malty and honeyed, what you might expect from a cloudy amber brew. A surprisingly soft start, despite the amount of carbonation shown when poured. Chewy body and great balance between the malt and hops. Long bitter finish. I'm sorry for only having brought one bottle back from CO. (492 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -7%

Poured into a tall thin glass. No freshness date on bottle.

Pours with one finger of quickly disappearing head that is made up of large bubbles that rise through the pale, washed out amber body. Despite the receding head, there is some good lacing.

Some mellow pine-like hops and alcoholic malts. Smells reminiscent of a large-scale produced amber or bock. Not much complexity and no subtlety. Not a promising sign.

Slam, bang, done. This flavor isn't waiting around. A shot of slightly bitter astringent hops swoosh through the mouth followed by a bit of sweeter pine and floral hop notes mixed with some roasty malts, and then it all goes away leaving a slightly bitter generic hoppy aftertaste to linger. I feel like there wasn't enough oomph to make any real impression, and not enough breadth to cause me to consider anything about it beyond "this is alright".

Medium mouthfeel and relatively smooth carbonation. It does fine here, but not outstanding. To much hop to caress the mouth with malty goodness, but not enough hop to wash the mouth with smooth, bitter and juicy hoppiness. Not quite like a reg lager or like an APA. The deeper into the bottle I get the better it is, but it never reaches outstanding.

Conclusion: This is a good beer, but it barely makes that status. There are many other red lagers and American ambers that surpass this brew. I am a native of Colorado and it makes me sad that a beer calling itself "Colorado Native Lager" would be so mediocre. Shouldn't it be wild like the tops of the mountains, rugged like the cliffs and lush like the roaring rivers?

Edit- As I finished the last few gulps of this beer I found I really enjoyed it more than I had as I wrote this during the first half of the experience. I bumped up my drinkability and mouthfeel marks. (1,796 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Oooh, such a lovely copper color, bright and clear. Lively streams of bubbles, lots of em. Head is a pale, light tan with white highlights, develops a thick pitted head with excellent lacing forming only a minute after the pour. The lacing is the absolute best I've seen from a BMC product. Aroma is full of crip floral hops. A powerful nose. Some fruits, a slight pleasent mustiness, a slight spiciness. A big sip brings a front-end maltyness, with bready caramel notes, followed by more of those crisp, vigorous hops. The hops are great; more flavor and less bitterness. Lots of fruit, apples and tangerines. A bit of oily bitterness remains on the palette after swallowing. The thick head is still sticking around close to halfway through the glass. The only real con to this beer is an aggressive carbonation that comes right through the medium-light body, adding a prickliness to the lingering hops finish. This was the only real flaw to me in this beer; while great tasting, I could see the mouthfeel making drinking a few of these a bit of a chore

This is ithe greatest beer Coors has ever brewed. Clealry a beer based on marekting and a bit gimicky, but on the other hand, this is a great tasting beer featuring all Colorado ingredients and "only" available in this, the greatest of states. A beer to be proud of, no matter who it's from. (1,347 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed 5/28/10

Poured into a pint glass. Crystal clear, ambered color body. White head.

Smell was mildly malty with hints of caramel. Slight butter aroma. Mild hoppiness.

Taste had hints of caram and a mild biscuity, earthy flavor. Extremely mild hop finish that seems floral. Mild malt sweetness. Smooth and clean.

Mouthfeel had some mild stickiness. Light body, medium carbonation.

Drinkability was very good. Clean beer, well balanced. Good summer session beer. (471 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

A- Clear orange tinted brew topped by a fluffy off white head. Head has legs and leaves lots of lace on the glass.

S- Sweet malt and mild notes of hops. There might be a hint of corn adjuncts in there as well, but it's hard to pick it out.

T- Nice pop of hops at first, I wasn't expecting that considering they were hidden in the aroma. The middle is a malty sweetness that fades to a nice slightly bitter hop finish. The finish is clean and dry.

M- Medium in body and well carbonated a nice refreshing beer.

D- Pretty easy to take down a bunch of this one, a good session candidate, and at 5.5% ABV it could work.

Not a bad lager, like a macro but with a little more. (675 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -3%

In the denver airport, on tap.
A: clear rich copper, no head (must have been a bad pour)
S: Caramel malt, a little grain, some floral hops.
T: Layers of malt: caramel, bready, toffee. Hops add a little crispness and keep the malty sweetness from becoming cloying, but...it is all about the malt on this one.
M: crisp but fairly sweet and very little bitterness. Medium carbonation and kind of surprisingly thin and watery.

Overall: Not bad, I'd do it again, and I don't regret choosing it instead of the Fat Tire that was my only other option. (550 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

Native pours a clean and clear copper color with amber highlights, and a thin off-white head that provides decent amounts of lacing. Sweet bready malt aromas are met with some slight hop tones. Toasty, bready malt flavors are very noticeable in the beginning, with a little hop bitterness providing good balance in the finish. The brew is crisp and clean with a medium-light body and a moderate amount of carbonation. (417 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

Looks good as it pours a medium to dark amber with a couple finger pillowy white head that
dissipates fairly quickly into a full foam layer leaving some heavy lace.

Aroma is a nice mix of grains and hops. Some corn, straw and pine smells blend in.

The flavor is OK. A little hops, not too much, and some sweetness.
However it is a bit too watery for my liking.

Mouthfeel is rather thin. Even for a lager. Almost light beer levels.
This lend to the watery taste.

Overall it's an acceptable beer, but nothing stellar. A notch above Bud but not into great beer territory. (586 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +5.4%

12 oz bottle, best by Feb 25, 2013, I traded with Myke to obtain. Poured into a straight sided 14 oz pint glass.

Appearance: A fairly rich looking lager. Not pale yellow fizzy water, this one has a two finger white head that settles to substantial foam. The color is almost IPA dark, a nice copper golden.

Smell: Sweetish biscuit malts, a touch of honey, and faint earthy hops.

Taste: A bit of sweetness up front fades to a slight bitterness toward the end. A touch of caramel from the bready malt. Nicely balanced. Crisp and clean.

Mouthfeel: A lighter bodied beer, but not unsubstantial. Crisp carbonation works very nicely with the body.

Overall: I liked this one a lot. It cleanly shows off the bready malts and a touch of hops. I am not sure I agree it is the "only lager ever brewed with Rocky Mountain water", but whatever. If visiting Denver, I would pick this up. (877 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -34.8%

12 oz bottle

App: frothy off-white head. Nice amber with hues of ruby

Smell: a touch of bready malt but dominated by dank, Fruity hops. Perhaps cascade? Because I smell grapefruit.

Taste: similar to the smell. Decent bready and biscuity malt with a touch if honey. Fades into some grapefruit rind bitterness.

Medium body with decent carbonation.

Tastes like the second runnings of sam Adams BL. (399 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured a nice coppery amber with a decent head that didn't last long. Thin skiff of foam stuck around throughout.

Aroma is nicely malty, with a bit of toast and bread crust. Not a lot of hops in the nose, but there is a hint that something is there. Overall it's very clean on the nose.

Taste is remarkably balanced. Very clean malt, with again the bready, toasty flavor coming to the fore. There are hops in here after all. Not "in your face", but noticeable. The beer is far from bitter, but the hops serve to give this one character, and balance out the sweetness of the malt. Quite well done. No mistaking this one for a macro lager. It has some "oomph" to the flavor.

The mouthfeel has just a tiny bit of heft as well, again distinguishing it from its macro cousins. It won't be mistaken for alcoholic spring water, let's put it that way.

This is really rather well done. Not earth shattering by any means, but then it's an amber lager. It isn't supposed to redefine craft beer. As it is, it's a good beer worth trying. Nice to see the big boys know how to do good beers too, eh? (1,088 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +3%

Left by a friend at a recent tasting - he said to go ahead and enjoy it on my own.

A - very little head upon pour, but retains a light lace. amber/red in color, as i expected.

S - grassy, slightly floral and earthy. some cereal sweetness rounds-out as swirls in my glass.

T - initial bready/cereal sweetness leaning toward a hint of caramel. grassy bitterness comes through at finish and lingers. crisp.

M - a little thick for me - I would prefer it if the mouthfeel complimented the crisp taste.

O - i didn't think i would care much for this, but i actually enjoy it. the light caramel/cereal sweetness with the grassy aromas and crisp finish fit in well with the beautiful weather we are having today in the Twin Cities. (727 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

This 12 ounce twist-cap bottle was received in a trade with jmkratt. Thanks John. I could not locate a bottle date or consume by date.

Yes, the AC Golden Company is another Coors smoke and mirrors brand, which makes it yet another beer brewed under the authority of the big three while masquerading as a craft brew. Still, I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt for a few reasons. According to the AC Golden website, all of the ingredients in this lager are local to Colorado, from the "rocky mountain" water to the barley, to the hops, to the supposedly oldest lager yeast strain known in the state. Also, as of now, this beer is only sold in Colorado. So it really does have a local feel to it, harkening back to a time when large breweries were large regional breweries. Plus I have to admit; Coors' Blue Moon brand is my favorite pseudo-craft brew.

This bottle was poured into a Pilsner glass. A standard pour gives me a huge four-finger off-white head. Head retention is not terribly fantastic. Lacing is spotty. The copper tint of this brew assures me that it's not simply a repackaged version of banquet Coors. The carbonation is very much visibly active through the glass. Dare I say it's the best looking lager I've seen from an American macro brewery?

Continuing the pleasant surprise is the treat that this beer is in the nose. Are those...hops?! Yup! Fresh hop aromas leap from the glass and greet the nose. I snickered a bit when I read the ingredients list online: Chinook, centennial and cascade hops. Against all odds, the hops are definitely accounted for. Aside from the fresh flowery hop aromas, there is a substantial maltiness in the nose as well as the strong essence of lager yeast. I remain impressed.

The flavor of this lager is quite interesting. It is grainy without the slightest hint of adjunct. It's a little sweet up front as well as mildly yeasty. There is an impressive hop presence providing some good bitterness to balance out the sweetness and finish off the brew. It is surprisingly full-flavored, resting comfortably between banquet Coors, and Sam Adams Boston Lager.

This beer is...wait for it...medium bodied! There is much more body to this than I was expecting. The carbonation level is also medium. It feels thick for the style, but goes down easy. The 5.5% ABV is virtually undetectable and this beer drinks so easy. This could be a very versatile American lager.

Every now and then a beer comes along that catches you completely off guard. I'm not a proponent of hating on a beer simply because it's brewed by one of the big industrial breweries, but I honestly didn't expect much out of another macro brewed lager. This beer is really exciting to me. I could share this with my macro-loving dad as well as my micro loving buddies. I would be ecstatic to see this beer locally. Way to go Coors!

---

The Two Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
Two Schlitz? If I could buy this in Michigan, it would replace Schlitz as my go-to macro lager. (3,022 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -3%

On tap at Old Chicago Westy. Color was somewhat of an amber (amberish if that's a word); a slight floral aroma. Hoppier than most Coors' products--very surprised. Taste was slightly sweet and quite quaffable. A pleasant surprise. Doubtful I'd buy a sixer of it but if I'm "forced" to choose amongst a few BMC offerings, I'd look for this one. (342 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +0.3%

Purchased at a local Wine & Spirits store in Northeast Colorado.

A- Copper colored body with a foamy, 1 finger head. Fast retention with a small trace of lacing.

S- bready/biscuity, nutty, caramel, small hints of floral.

T- Caramel, brown sugar, a mixture of nuts and a faint hint of hops. Follows closely behind the nose but with a nice bready taste.

M- medium bodied with a dry finish. Also, carbonation is medium. Just right for the style.

Enjoyable local brew. Glad I tried this one. Why aren't these guys shipping this out of state? If you enjoy a caramel/ biscuity beer then get ahold of this. (604 characters)

Colorado Native Amber Lager from AC Golden Brewing Company