Colorado Native Amber Lager - AC Golden Brewing Company

AC Golden Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Domingo on 04-05-2010

Colorado Native is a hand crafted lager made with all Colorado ingredients that celebrates the joys of life in Colorado.

Hold up a pint of Colorado Native and drink in its amber lager color, brought to life with pale and caramel malts from our famous Moravian 2-row barley. We painstakingly balanced its malt character against select Chinook, Centennial and Cascade hops to create a perfectly balanced, full-flavored beer. A lager yeast fermentation gives Colorado Native a slight fruitiness, complementing a citrus aroma note from a late kettle hop addition. Everything then comes together to deliver a clean taste and dry finish that is very drinkable by itself, or paired with your favorite foods.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colorado Native Amber Lager Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

A- Clear orange tinted brew topped by a fluffy off white head. Head has legs and leaves lots of lace on the glass.

S- Sweet malt and mild notes of hops. There might be a hint of corn adjuncts in there as well, but it's hard to pick it out.

T- Nice pop of hops at first, I wasn't expecting that considering they were hidden in the aroma. The middle is a malty sweetness that fades to a nice slightly bitter hop finish. The finish is clean and dry.

M- Medium in body and well carbonated a nice refreshing beer.

D- Pretty easy to take down a bunch of this one, a good session candidate, and at 5.5% ABV it could work.

Not a bad lager, like a macro but with a little more.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Looks good as it pours a medium to dark amber with a couple finger pillowy white head that
dissipates fairly quickly into a full foam layer leaving some heavy lace.

Aroma is a nice mix of grains and hops. Some corn, straw and pine smells blend in.

The flavor is OK. A little hops, not too much, and some sweetness.
However it is a bit too watery for my liking.

Mouthfeel is rather thin. Even for a lager. Almost light beer levels.
This lend to the watery taste.

Overall it's an acceptable beer, but nothing stellar. A notch above Bud but not into great beer territory.

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%

Native pours a clean and clear copper color with amber highlights, and a thin off-white head that provides decent amounts of lacing. Sweet bready malt aromas are met with some slight hop tones. Toasty, bready malt flavors are very noticeable in the beginning, with a little hop bitterness providing good balance in the finish. The brew is crisp and clean with a medium-light body and a moderate amount of carbonation.

3.91/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz bottle, best by Feb 25, 2013, I traded with Myke to obtain. Poured into a straight sided 14 oz pint glass.

Appearance: A fairly rich looking lager. Not pale yellow fizzy water, this one has a two finger white head that settles to substantial foam. The color is almost IPA dark, a nice copper golden.

Smell: Sweetish biscuit malts, a touch of honey, and faint earthy hops.

Taste: A bit of sweetness up front fades to a slight bitterness toward the end. A touch of caramel from the bready malt. Nicely balanced. Crisp and clean.

Mouthfeel: A lighter bodied beer, but not unsubstantial. Crisp carbonation works very nicely with the body.

Overall: I liked this one a lot. It cleanly shows off the bready malts and a touch of hops. I am not sure I agree it is the "only lager ever brewed with Rocky Mountain water", but whatever. If visiting Denver, I would pick this up.

2.42/5  rDev -33.5%

12 oz bottle

App: frothy off-white head. Nice amber with hues of ruby

Smell: a touch of bready malt but dominated by dank, Fruity hops. Perhaps cascade? Because I smell grapefruit.

Taste: similar to the smell. Decent bready and biscuity malt with a touch if honey. Fades into some grapefruit rind bitterness.

Medium body with decent carbonation.

Tastes like the second runnings of sam Adams BL.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a nice coppery amber with a decent head that didn't last long. Thin skiff of foam stuck around throughout.

Aroma is nicely malty, with a bit of toast and bread crust. Not a lot of hops in the nose, but there is a hint that something is there. Overall it's very clean on the nose.

Taste is remarkably balanced. Very clean malt, with again the bready, toasty flavor coming to the fore. There are hops in here after all. Not "in your face", but noticeable. The beer is far from bitter, but the hops serve to give this one character, and balance out the sweetness of the malt. Quite well done. No mistaking this one for a macro lager. It has some "oomph" to the flavor.

The mouthfeel has just a tiny bit of heft as well, again distinguishing it from its macro cousins. It won't be mistaken for alcoholic spring water, let's put it that way.

This is really rather well done. Not earth shattering by any means, but then it's an amber lager. It isn't supposed to redefine craft beer. As it is, it's a good beer worth trying. Nice to see the big boys know how to do good beers too, eh?

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%

Left by a friend at a recent tasting - he said to go ahead and enjoy it on my own.

A - very little head upon pour, but retains a light lace. amber/red in color, as i expected.

S - grassy, slightly floral and earthy. some cereal sweetness rounds-out as swirls in my glass.

T - initial bready/cereal sweetness leaning toward a hint of caramel. grassy bitterness comes through at finish and lingers. crisp.

M - a little thick for me - I would prefer it if the mouthfeel complimented the crisp taste.

O - i didn't think i would care much for this, but i actually enjoy it. the light caramel/cereal sweetness with the grassy aromas and crisp finish fit in well with the beautiful weather we are having today in the Twin Cities.

4.15/5  rDev +14%

This 12 ounce twist-cap bottle was received in a trade with jmkratt. Thanks John. I could not locate a bottle date or consume by date.

Yes, the AC Golden Company is another Coors smoke and mirrors brand, which makes it yet another beer brewed under the authority of the big three while masquerading as a craft brew. Still, I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt for a few reasons. According to the AC Golden website, all of the ingredients in this lager are local to Colorado, from the "rocky mountain" water to the barley, to the hops, to the supposedly oldest lager yeast strain known in the state. Also, as of now, this beer is only sold in Colorado. So it really does have a local feel to it, harkening back to a time when large breweries were large regional breweries. Plus I have to admit; Coors' Blue Moon brand is my favorite pseudo-craft brew.

This bottle was poured into a Pilsner glass. A standard pour gives me a huge four-finger off-white head. Head retention is not terribly fantastic. Lacing is spotty. The copper tint of this brew assures me that it's not simply a repackaged version of banquet Coors. The carbonation is very much visibly active through the glass. Dare I say it's the best looking lager I've seen from an American macro brewery?

Continuing the pleasant surprise is the treat that this beer is in the nose. Are those...hops?! Yup! Fresh hop aromas leap from the glass and greet the nose. I snickered a bit when I read the ingredients list online: Chinook, centennial and cascade hops. Against all odds, the hops are definitely accounted for. Aside from the fresh flowery hop aromas, there is a substantial maltiness in the nose as well as the strong essence of lager yeast. I remain impressed.

The flavor of this lager is quite interesting. It is grainy without the slightest hint of adjunct. It's a little sweet up front as well as mildly yeasty. There is an impressive hop presence providing some good bitterness to balance out the sweetness and finish off the brew. It is surprisingly full-flavored, resting comfortably between banquet Coors, and Sam Adams Boston Lager.

This beer is...wait for it...medium bodied! There is much more body to this than I was expecting. The carbonation level is also medium. It feels thick for the style, but goes down easy. The 5.5% ABV is virtually undetectable and this beer drinks so easy. This could be a very versatile American lager.

Every now and then a beer comes along that catches you completely off guard. I'm not a proponent of hating on a beer simply because it's brewed by one of the big industrial breweries, but I honestly didn't expect much out of another macro brewed lager. This beer is really exciting to me. I could share this with my macro-loving dad as well as my micro loving buddies. I would be ecstatic to see this beer locally. Way to go Coors!

The Two Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
Two Schlitz? If I could buy this in Michigan, it would replace Schlitz as my go-to macro lager.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap at Old Chicago Westy. Color was somewhat of an amber (amberish if that's a word); a slight floral aroma. Hoppier than most Coors' products--very surprised. Taste was slightly sweet and quite quaffable. A pleasant surprise. Doubtful I'd buy a sixer of it but if I'm "forced" to choose amongst a few BMC offerings, I'd look for this one.

3.72/5  rDev +2.2%

Purchased at a local Wine & Spirits store in Northeast Colorado.

A- Copper colored body with a foamy, 1 finger head. Fast retention with a small trace of lacing.

S- bready/biscuity, nutty, caramel, small hints of floral.

T- Caramel, brown sugar, a mixture of nuts and a faint hint of hops. Follows closely behind the nose but with a nice bready taste.

M- medium bodied with a dry finish. Also, carbonation is medium. Just right for the style.

Enjoyable local brew. Glad I tried this one. Why aren't these guys shipping this out of state? If you enjoy a caramel/ biscuity beer then get ahold of this.

3.31/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I want so much to love this beer (as a Colorado transplant myself), but there's no magic for me. Maybe once I become a more sophisticated reviewer, I'll be able to articulate the disconnect. It's a nice brown color, big head, it smells of wet dog, and tastes like it came from a can. Not terrible, certainly, but I don't need to taste this again. Hooray for "build your own six packs."

2.49/5  rDev -31.6%

Appearance: Amber color, plesant amount of bubbles.

Smell: Not much to mention.

Taste: Mostly a sweet corn flavor. The color suggests a maltiness that this beer doesn't deliver.

Mouthfeel: A good, crisp lager.

Drinkability: Goes down smooth, but there's not much interesting going on here.

A perfectly fine American style lager gussied-up with a little roasted malt for color, is my guess. Anyone expecting the likes of a Märzen or Vienna lager will be dissapointed.

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

Had to try one for muhself, and I am actually impressed.

Beautiful amber color, head fades quickly. Wonderful malt aroma, munich and honey? Malt backbone, quick hop bite, finishes nice and smooth. Easily sessioned. Might... actually... buy.

Bottom line, I wanted to hate it, and I can't find much fault with it. Kind of reminds me of Boston Lager. Kind of octoberfesty as well. All and all, damn solid brew.

1.09/5  rDev -70.1%

This beer is not how an american amber lager is supposed to taste.. It is hoppy as hell, Amber lagers are supposed to be about the malts, I honestly can't taste much malt with all the hops in the way...

3.74/5  rDev +2.7%

On touring the Coors Brewery in Golden, and getting a tear in my eye when told I was standing in the world's largest room of beer, I knew I had reached my Nirvana. The tour ended in the tasting room (actually it ended in the gift shop à la Disneyworld) but the tasting room is where I tried their newest brew, Colorado Native.

I was told it was a lager. It was nicely golden in color and topped with a small head with bubbles noticeable in size. The head disappeared in half a minute. The scent was powerful, like a sharp IPA. First taste reminded me of an IPA with strong but generic citrus and hops - not that there's anything wrong with that. It went down ok and I did want another, but I couldn't sense any of the lagering throughout the 2 glass session. I felt like I was having an IPA throughout.

If the objective is to bring hoppy, IPA-like beer to the masses and call it a lager, they've succeeded. But to review this as a lager doesn't seem fit the requirement. I liked it, however, and will buy it again if it gets to my state.

3.99/5  rDev +9.6%

Bought at Mile High in Belmar at $6.99 for a sixer. I like that it is an all CO made beer.

Smell is bready with a light flowery and citrusy smell from the hops. Definitely not in your face like a PA or IPA.

Taste is a little sweet, bready from Munich-type malts. Fair amount of bitterness and a light orangey/grapefruit flavor from the hops. The sweetness makes me think of crystal-type malts, but I pick up only subtle caramel flavors

Drinkability is high. I could take down a lot of these this spring.

A good lager with some hops presence that has a good malt backbone that makes me think of a marzen. Price point is about right. I like this better than SA Noble Pils and Boston Lager which I think it competes with. Definitely worth a try.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last