Colorado Native Amber Lager - AC Golden Brewing Company

AC Golden Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Domingo on 04-05-2010

Colorado Native is a hand crafted lager made with all Colorado ingredients that celebrates the joys of life in Colorado.

Hold up a pint of Colorado Native and drink in its amber lager color, brought to life with pale and caramel malts from our famous Moravian 2-row barley. We painstakingly balanced its malt character against select Chinook, Centennial and Cascade hops to create a perfectly balanced, full-flavored beer. A lager yeast fermentation gives Colorado Native a slight fruitiness, complementing a citrus aroma note from a late kettle hop addition. Everything then comes together to deliver a clean taste and dry finish that is very drinkable by itself, or paired with your favorite foods.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Colorado Native Amber Lager Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.9/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Bright, clear copper/amber color. Poured a 1 finger coarse white head that dissipated to thick skim and held. Lazily decanted. Spots of lacing.

S: Bready malt, but not strong. Light floral hop aroma; primarily citrus zest, but some spice as well. Also hay and grass.

T: Sweet bready malt and caramel up front. Transitions to a light citrus zest. Bread lingers a bit in an even bitter finish.

M: Light body. Moderate carbonation. Crisp and fairly clean with just a bit of malt flavor lingering in the finish.

D: Easily drinkable with all the well-blended balance of a good lager. Light abv helps too.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap at Old Chicago Westy. Color was somewhat of an amber (amberish if that's a word); a slight floral aroma. Hoppier than most Coors' products--very surprised. Taste was slightly sweet and quite quaffable. A pleasant surprise. Doubtful I'd buy a sixer of it but if I'm "forced" to choose amongst a few BMC offerings, I'd look for this one.

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Finally found this one in the mix six cooler so I figured I'd give it a try. Not at all what I was expecting. Poured a nice copper-amber color, with a bit of ecru foam. Aromas of sweet malt and caramel. Nothing too overwhelming on the palate, but a very nice malty body, with just a hint of spicy hops. A very pleasant surprise.

3.99/5  rDev +9.6%

Bought at Mile High in Belmar at $6.99 for a sixer. I like that it is an all CO made beer.

Smell is bready with a light flowery and citrusy smell from the hops. Definitely not in your face like a PA or IPA.

Taste is a little sweet, bready from Munich-type malts. Fair amount of bitterness and a light orangey/grapefruit flavor from the hops. The sweetness makes me think of crystal-type malts, but I pick up only subtle caramel flavors

Drinkability is high. I could take down a lot of these this spring.

A good lager with some hops presence that has a good malt backbone that makes me think of a marzen. Price point is about right. I like this better than SA Noble Pils and Boston Lager which I think it competes with. Definitely worth a try.

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

Had to try one for muhself, and I am actually impressed.

Beautiful amber color, head fades quickly. Wonderful malt aroma, munich and honey? Malt backbone, quick hop bite, finishes nice and smooth. Easily sessioned. Might... actually... buy.

Bottom line, I wanted to hate it, and I can't find much fault with it. Kind of reminds me of Boston Lager. Kind of octoberfesty as well. All and all, damn solid brew.

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the 3rd lager that's seen a bottled release from the Coors "craft" unit under the name AC Golden. I honestly liked the other two, so I'm looking forward to this one.
Pours a copper color with a really bubbly 1" head from a normal pour. The carbonation seems a tad bit heavy initially, but it calms down quickly and it does manage to lace the glass and stick around.
Smells hoppier than expected. Slightly sweet bready (Munich?) malts and American hops. It's a little familiar to be honest.
Oh...now I get it. It actually tastes a lot like Sam Adams Boston Lager. Dare I say it might be a tiny bit hoppier, but that's the inspiration. Bready and sweet up front, robust hops in the middle, and a finish that's dry with a little bit of lingering hop bitterness.
Easy drinking and tasty.
I could handle a couple at a time and not get sick of it.
It loses points for originality, but that isn't a BA score :)
I'd say it's a fine take on a Sam Adams-like brew that's no cheaper and with slight advantages/disadvantages in a few areas.

EDIT: I did a side by side, and this beer's hop profile from the 3 C's gives it more of a new world fruitier nose/taste (while the Boston Lager has more old world floral), but the two beers are pretty similar. Native definitely has more overall bitterness for better or worse, though.

Another interesting note. This beer is made with all Colorado ingredients from Monte Vista barley to hops from near Montrose. On tap I've found this brew to be a good go-to in the summer. Good stuff from Coors? Yes!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last