Siamese Twin Ale - Uncommon Brewers

Siamese Twin AleSiamese Twin Ale

good

Uncommon Brewers visit their website

Dubbel |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: illidurit on 07-26-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Siamese Twin Ale Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

- Ale brewed with kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass and coriander. Serving can dated 12/19/11. Consumed 2/2/12.

A: A beautiful deep ruby red when backlighted exposes a spacious light rise of effervesce. Tawny head, low profile, doesn’t hold long nor offer any window dressing. Easy clarity.

S: Scents of lemongrass and dried lime peels are most evident on the open. Spicy flowers and spices as well soft coriander hints and grape stems. Intriguing, interesting enough.

T: Again an interesting mix of flavors and spices quite unique to most beers. Lime, grapes with a spicy herbaceous flowering. Fresh toasty caramel, dried grapefruit with a soft offering of coriander. Fresh greenery, briary with some woodsy evergreen and lemon grass. There are indications of some spicy herbaceous notes which are quite hard to define, dried tomato-basil. Touches of starfruit rounds out with a warming Belgian yeastiness of alcohol and warm fruit.

M: sparkling with a bright carbonation factor, an oily texture and malty presence that delivers a spicy bite of seasoning on the inner cheeks and tongue on the swallow.

O: Overall an interesting flavor, odd, yet intriquing, don’t know if I could tackle a four pack at once but definitely has enough head scratching oddity to it to warrant at least a try. Spicy lime flower and herbaceous notes that step outside the box. Good alcohol feel and quite hard to label.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

01/29/09- Purchased at Ledger's in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 16oz can, no freshness info found. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Deep golden colored pour with a semi-creamy full one inch head. Light patches and some streaks of lace left behind.

Smell- At first it has a rather unappealing nose. Kind of medicinal and rubbery. As it warms, you can definitely smell the corriander and a bit of lemongrass.

Taste- A must drink headed towards room temperature beer. Not very flavorful cold, but shows it's various spices as it warms towards room temp. Lemongrass, ginger, a good chunk of corriander and a honey like flavor.

Mouthfeel- Not really creamy, but smooth and somewhat thick. Leaves a light mouthcoating.

Drinkability- Not sure if this is a Dubbel. I would lean more towards a Belgian Strong Pale, but at any rate, it is quite different than the rest and worth a try.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a murky orangy brown with an exploding orangy tan head. Expands up to 3 fingers before slowly dying down to a quarter inch. The color is really ugly, I'm not gonna lie, but there is pretty good retention with some lacing.

Smell is of lime and something slightly metallic. Not as unpleasant as that sounds.

Taste isn't too good. The first thing you notice, which is really distracting, is that it is overly carbonated. Really sparkly. The taste itself is something like a light Belgian dubbel with a lime squirted in it. A bit of the coriander comes out, but not as spicy as I expected.

The mouthfeel is thin and overly carbonated. This is pretty crisp and clean, and the alcohol is well hidden, however.

I could drink a lot of this, even at 8.5%

Overall, not a bad beer, especially at 10 bucks for 4 16oz cans, but not my favorite. Probably won't buy another 4pk.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

APPEARANCE: This beer, poured from a tap into a goblet, produced a medium-tan frothy 1" head that dissipated somewhat slowly leaving good head lacing. Carbonation was soft in a muddy deep amber body.

AROMA: Some sweet malts but the predominant aroma was of lemon and ginger and a bit of alcohol.

TASTE: Initially, moderate amounts of lemon, lime, mint and grass, a hint of yeast, a bit of sweet malt and a bit of warm alcohol.

MOUTHFEEL: This beer had a somewhat light body with a thin texture, soft carbonation and modest body lacing that dissipated somewhat slowly. The initial flavor was moderately tart and bitter with a somewhat sweet finish that lasted for a moderate length of time.

DRINKABILITY: This is a sipping beer, not one I'd want for a session beer. Two would be tops for me. While easy to drink and having a good price point, the beer suffered from some deficiencies, not least of which was that it didn't taste much like a dubbel. It's described as "unique and uncommon," and I'll give them that -- and points for creating an original brew -- but I doubt that I'll buy it again; it just wasn't that outstanding.

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Opened the sucker and out came massive foam. Poured slowly into Duvel, TONS of head. Had to wait for some time. Lots of sticky lace. Brown, fairly clear dark tea color.

S - Do not care for the smell. Kind of smells like rust on iron to me.

T - Sweet and spicy to start, bitter to a fault near the end.

M - Fairly nice body in style, balance is ok but a little heavy handed on the bitter at end.

D - One per session is enough for me!

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into Bruery Tulip.

Pours out a deep murky golden color. Huge head emerges on this, half of the glass is foam. The head is bubbly and foamy and is white in color. The head seems to recede pretty quickly. No lacing is produced on the glass.

Lemon and lime are very apparent in the smell of this one. It really is an interesting smell as I don't think I've smelled a beer like this before (without adding a lemon or lime wedge). I'm not sure which I'm getting more, the lemon or the lime, but it's nice. Not getting a lot of coriander though.

The taste is a lot more of the Belgian flavor than the smell would let on (I didn't get much of any of smells I'd come to expect from Belgian beers). The lemon and lime really aren't too present in the flavor. There is a fruity ester that is present right before the beer is swallowed. Not tasting any alcohol on this one. I wish the lemon, coriander and lime were more pronounced in the taste.

The carbonation seems really high to me. It almost is distracting on the palate. I feel like foam is forming in my mouth with each sip, not really enjoyable. There is an estery taste that also lingers in the mouth after the beer is swallowed. Not the high point of the beer for me.

The drinkability of this one was alright. I mean I was able to finish it without a problem but the really high carbonation was really distracting from the taste of the beer. I'd like to try other beers from Uncommon but I'll probably pass on this one.

EDIT: While cleaning out the can I noticed the packaged on sticker on the bottom of the can saying it was packaged on 3/19/2010. This would make it 10 months old tomorrow. Not sure I would have bought it had I noticed that when buying it.

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

I believe the PC term is conjoined twins.

Poured from a can into an imperial pint glass. Beer is brown and hazy. Forms a gigantic head of small to medium sized bubbles and carbonation is HIGH. This is one of the most carbonated beers I've ever seen. Served with yeast (didn't know couldn't avoid the can trub, oops).

I didn't know this was a dubbel until I started reviewing it, so I didn't know what to expect. I got this beer in a trade with Arbitrator (Thanks!). Beer's aroma is really strong. High ethers, some yeast and a lot of sweetness. It would be tempting to call the sweetness alcohol but I'm not sure that's accurate.

Have to break this head up so I can taste it. Beer has a slight metallic taste to it. Overall the beer is sweet and has nice malt character. has the nice Belgian yeast spiciness that is associated with Belgian ales. Second taste, I can taste the alcohol in this beer, that's unfortunate. Beer is a little thin, no real bitterness, drinkability moderate (hurt by alcohol flavor). Its a decent beer.

3.41/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

16 ounce can poured into a pint glass. Color is a ruddy dark brown color with a half finger of foam that fades quickly. Aroma is pungent with plum malty flavors and lemongrass. It does smell appetizing to me.

First sip is bomb of sweet sugary malts. Molasses and toffee flavors dominate but it is cloyingly sweet. Lime coriander and lemongrass all take a back seat. Credit for trying something out of the ordinary but this misses the mark with me... Too sweet and not refreshing.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Canned on 7/13/12.

Pours a murky dark brown with a 1 inch foamy orange-tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is fairly mild and is of malt, Asian peanut sauce, and some herbal aromas. Taste is of malt, dark fruit, peanuts, and some herbal and citrus flavors. There is a mild spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer flavor wise but there are some odd aromas coming from this one.

3.39/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer tastes nothing like you'd expect given the packaging.
Has a yummy malty taste but with an edge. I saw it described as liquid candy but it is not really that over-sweet. Didn't love it the first time but tried it again the next day and it was lovely. Enough flavour to be interesting but not heavy so not too filling.
Now, lets talk about the branding. It sucks. The packaging at first glance gives the impression of a cider or light beer. The name suggests a genetic abnormality but it is an organic beer. The whole branding is an oxymoron so maybe this is a hipster beer and intended to be ironic? Either way it is worth a try.

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a dark cloudy copper brown. Thin off white head that disappears quickly. A whiff of malt and no hops in the aroma. Taste is unique-a very very candy sugar sweetness coats your tongue, and you can really get the lemongrass and Thai spices when you taste this beer-and this for me is the saving grace of this beer ad sets it apart from other doubles-however, I find it difficult to drink an entire can because it is so sweet. Mouthfeel is medium and drinkability medium-I like this beer but I wish it were more drinkable.

3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured to a Chimay goblet from a 16 oz. can (sticker on the bottom: Packaged 5/12/10); picked this up at Bailey's Taproom in early July after trying it twice at NAOBF in June.

'Ale brewed with Kaffir lime leaves, Lemongrass, and Coriander'. A lengthy label sidebar better explains the conjoining of a more traditional Belgian style with the spicing/flavors of Thailand.

A: Simply put, one of the prettiest dubbels I've seen: deep ruby/garnet, excellent clarity at first (when held to light, otherwise a browner drabness) showcasing a cascade of small carbonation. Later, when nearing the bottom of the can, an unfiltered haze takes over. Not a tall head, but certainly a long-lived one: this 1/2" lid of ivory cream sat unmoving for the better part of ten minutes.

S: Very mellow: a fleeting graininess that hints at cocoa powder, a dusting of ground spice (coriander and a light pepper) and the odd introduction of tropical lime (just a squeeze).

T: Marry a decent abbey/dubbel (husky grain, ample coriander/spice, fruity sweetness) with the grassy/floral nature of Thai spicing and tart pithiness of citrus leaves...well that's what you got. Talk about 'uncommon': who mixed my cocoa with lemongrass? The abruptness with which the 'Belgian' stylings end and the other half of this set of twins takes over is fairly pronounced. Plenty flavorful, a finish that's more 'dirty' and bitter than expected, but the longer-lasting profile highlights 'citrus'. An enigma.

M: Creamy, velvety smoothness...a spiced zestiness without as much as a pinprick of harshness. A little warming glow creeping in at the finish, so the 8.5% isn't altogether hidden, but a pleasant medium-bodied feel. A yeasty coating/finish.

D: Hmmm...I'm a fan of 'curious' beers, ones where brewers push boundaries and craft originality in whatever they brew. This one has successes and shortcomings; while I think the introduction of Asian ingredients is an intriguing concept, they twist the dubbel that I know and enjoy in a way that I don't think I need to have again. A try or two is fine, but ultimately I'm not sold on the repeated drinkability of this experiment.

3.3/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16oz can into my Trappistes Rochefort goblet. Bottled (so to speak) on 9/11/2009.

Russet body with a hint of cordovan - quite dark overall, but revealing copper and sienna highlights when held to the light. Despite a vigorous pour into the center of the glass, head formation is non-existent. No lacing, though the legs form a uniform lip.

Herbaceous aroma, suggesting cilantro more than coriander. Faint citrus and an almost smokey malt note along with hints of golden raisins and perfume.

The straight-forward (though I wouldn't go so far to say, "pedestrian") flavor profile is like brown bread dipped in a fruit-infused brandy. Sugars are pronounced, but the finish is still somewhat dry. I don't know if it is the lime leaf or the brewer's water, but there is the slightest hint of iron as well.

Flat, watery, and thin-bodied; heat creeps up slowly, especially on the gums. I hate to say it, but there is some resemblance here to mouthwash.

I initially approached this ale with some trepidation, but since I've had some amazing canned craft beers, I decided to put my skepticism aside; at <$3, this seemed like a remarkable value as well. Unfortunately, what I imbibed was far from a revelation - in fact, because of the poor execution it borders on an affront to the classic style it claims to be based on.

Perhaps this is the result of poor quality control (next time I'm in Santa Cruz, I'd like to see how this does on-tap at which point I'll re-review), but this sample may as well have been chugged straight from the can.

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

First sighting I have had of Uncommon Brewers down in SoCal. I'm a big fan of their Baltic Porter and hope to see that one here as soon as can be managed.

Whoa nelly, this can is a foamer, dropped it right into my glass and poured slowly for a fairly huge light amber head. The beer itself is a sort of apple juice brown. Suspended yeast the further I get in the can, but I got a decently clear pour off the top of this. Decent retention for as fizzly as this was, though little lace to be had.

While this is a freaky twist on a dubbel, they are traditionally estery and fruity, and this beer keeps that in mind with a tropical fruit twist. The kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass give it a crisp citrus scent. Lightly spicy, but I cannot pick out the coriander. I also get a bit of apple juice sweetness which is also unique when it all matches up with a bit of Belgian style yeast. I'm going to have to say this one smells good, intriguing even!

Lightly sweet citrus at the very front, then an intesifying fruitiness with apples and raisins comes along and intensifies, leading to a quite spicy Belgian yeast redux. Long spicy finish ends with a bit of earth. Tropical twist on the fruitiness of a dubbel, and surprisingly spicy. In general, the kind of beer I would refer to as "interesting" though probably would not go for again. Lightly bodied with a very big dose of carbon dioxide, much too much of it. Enough to damage the score.

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: While the beer doesn't deliver the foamy head I would expect from a dubbel, the mahogany liquid and lacing action both do their bit to fit the style

Smell: Caramel and dark fruit underpin appropriately, but the Asian adjuncts (kaffir lime and lemongrass) while distinct, don't blend well

Taste: As with the aroma, the taste is a bit unusual here; starts out, as expected, delivering caramel, candi sugar and some dried dark fruit; in the middle and after the swallow, the Asian adjuncts add a very strange lemon/lime flavor; the coriander works better, adding complexity; ultimately, however, the beer tastes a bit like a wet dog smells

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate to high carbonation

Overall: I love Thai food and was really looking forward to seeing how the Kaffir lime and lemongrass worked with this beer but have come to the conclusion that a dubbel is the wrong style with which such spices should be blended

Thanks, bytemesis (from the other site) for the opportunity

Siamese Twin Ale from Uncommon Brewers