2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Siamese Twin Ale - Uncommon Brewers

Siamese Twin AleSiamese Twin Ale

good

Uncommon Brewers visit their website

Dubbel |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: illidurit on 07-26-2008)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Siamese Twin Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 197 | Reviews: 117 | Show All Ratings:
chugalug06

Colorado

1.9/5  rDev -47.4%

A - Cloudy golden copper color with lots of reds. Head is aggressive yellow foam. None of the lacing the Bros spoke of in their review...

S - Very vinegar... *-) Interesting. A definite miss on the scent.

T - Hum. Don't quite know what to think... Very piney. Lots of off flavor... Maybe this brew has some bugs??? Lots of weird citrus things going on.

M - Dry, super bitter and unpleasing. Lots of big heat flavor.

O - Not my favorite brew. Could easily end in the drain.... :( I really wanted to like this brew.

08-19-2011 00:37:06 | More by chugalug06
harrymel

Washington

2.2/5  rDev -39.1%

Canned 14AUG12

Pours nice and toasted brown with some central light etching. Smells of lime, some sweet syrups, a little bit of belgian yeasts, some coriander, and the lemon grass. Taste is lightly tart, some alcohol, some bitterness, some candy. Medium on full body with hi carb and a semi dry finish. Not a good beer really.

03-11-2013 06:14:25 | More by harrymel
Arbitrator

2.53/5  rDev -29.9%

Chilled can into a glass. Purchased at K&L in Redwood City.

A: Pours a murky maroon color. Slight translucence at the edges reveal active bubbles coming up the glass, which fuel the enormous, fluffy off-white foam cap that fills the glass. As it recedes into a half-finger film on the brew, it deposits sticky lacing down the sides.

S: Has 'traditional' dubbel flavors with raisins and coriander, but it is also floral and lime-like. Some yeast and grass. Oh - and booze.

T: Lime, grass, and yeast up front. Raisins and brown sugar in the mid-taste. Coriander and a light ethanol evaporation in the finish. Actually a pretty interesting flavor, but it needs some tweaks to integrate well. It's just kind of muddled and rough right now. The lemon in particular accentuates the booze and reminds me of that burn you get from cheap gin and tonics.

M: Medium-bodied with a chewy texture. High carbonation, but it doesn't remove the slightly-hotter-than-warming effect.

D: I'm not quick to write these guys off, because they obviously have some mad scientist tendencies that could pay off with some excellent beers down the line. This just isn't their magnum opus yet.

11-17-2009 07:21:59 | More by Arbitrator
20ozmonkey

2.63/5  rDev -27.1%

Poured slowly into a Bruery tulip. This beer is a muddy brown and seems to be quite thick. The smell when I opened the can was a bit worrying. I got a whiff of rusty metal and old beer. Upon properly smelling the beer I get definite hints of ginger and lemongrass mixed with the sweet and alcohol qualities of a dubbel. None of the smells stand out though and if I were to blind taste this beer I would be wary of how it tasted after smelling it.

Not much to taste on the front but after that the beer washes over your mouth coating it with a bitter sweetness with perhaps just a bit of ginger spiciness. Aftertaste is plain and malty. I taste absolutely no Belgian yeast in this.

I'm pretty disappointed in this beer. I was excited when I found a store selling single cans of it because I was unwilling to buy a 4-pack of it where I normally buy all my beer.

07-14-2011 23:18:36 | More by 20ozmonkey
kojevergas

2.63/5  rDev -27.1%

16 fl oz aluminum can served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I like the style but I don't know that I've ever had a good one from a can.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger light khaki head of okay cream, okay thickness, and pretty good retention considering the high ABV. Colour is a deep chestnut-amber. Nontransparent. Non-opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Belgian biscuit malt, cream, amber hops, and toasted malt. I don't get any spice or coriander. A very mild strength aroma.

T: Amber hops, some toasted malt, biscuit malt, amber hopping, and caramelization. A strange build for a dubbel. Tries too hard with its spices, never reaching the level of a good trappist example of the style. Very simple, to its detriment. Not particularly enjoyable. No alcohol or yeast comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some bad coarseness and dryness. Too thick for its lack of good body. Carbonation is off.

Dr: Drinkable but boring. I wouldn't get it again. A disappointment. Pretty underwhelming for the style.

C-

06-29-2012 06:52:08 | More by kojevergas
cbutova

2.65/5  rDev -26.6%

Interesting, didn't think this would be a Dubbel.

A- Pint can poured into a chalice with a brown body and a tan head. Head has a good size but doesn't retain all that well. Small ring remains leaving legs but no lace.

S- Dubbel profile with dark brown sugar, nutty caramel malts, raisins and spices. Also an earthy herbal quality, coriander and lemon lime.

T- Like the aroma but intensified. The spices and yeast really take over. A clash of raisin, nuts, dark fruit, licorice, coriander, lime, lemon, herbs and brown toasty caramel malts. Somewhat metallic and medicinal.

MF- High carbonation stings the tongue and it lacks that silky smooth feel of good Dubbels. Bitter and warm finish on the palate.

I like innovation but the spices they chose did not mix all that well with a Dubbel for me. Too much lime and coriander doesn't mix with the medicinal dark fruit base beer. Drinkable but harsh and not something I'll get again.

12-16-2011 02:33:29 | More by cbutova
beertunes

Washington

2.71/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Thanks again to Tyler for grabbing this one for me. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a slightly cloudy version the reddish-brown color typical of the style. The aroma was a combination of the malty sweetness of the style and the different than usual spices added to this one.

On the tongue the spices pop across the tongue in an unexpected manner and linger with the malt and yeast at the back of the tongue. The body was on the thin side of average for the style. Drinkability will depend on your taste for the spices, personally, I probably wouldn't have more than a couple in a row. This is a unique take on the style, worth trying.

Edit 2/19/13: Had this again, not sure why it's listed here as Dubbel, but whatevs. I found the blend of flavors and spices here to really be a weird mess. The body had a sharp, harsh bite at the back. It wasn't an easy beer to drink, I suggest avoiding this one.

07-05-2010 00:58:06 | More by beertunes
DoubleJ

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If The Bruery can make a tripel with Asian spices, why not Uncommon Brewers with a dubbel? Bought this in Santa Cruz, and it's a beer that would make my Siamese cat proud. On to the beer:

Not much of a head forms on top of this beer. The appearance is on target to style: cloudy caramel orange color, with tanned hues and some brown hues. There are some dark fruits in the nose. A smell something sweet n' spicy....it must be those spices. Peppery.

I'm not getting a whole lot of malty goodness. A little bit of plum emerges underneath whatver oddball spices are there. There is a good amount of heat from the alcohol at first, but as time passes it cools some. Peppery flavor begins to dominate during the second half of the time the beer is in the mouth. A little spice and plum in the aftertaste.

Ehh....not the most memorable beer I've had. The overall flavor isn't doing the trick, and it seems a little thin and overspiced in the mouth. Maybe dubbels aren't ideal to have added spices?

02-11-2010 05:20:19 | More by DoubleJ
tempest

2.73/5  rDev -24.4%

Picked up a 16 oz. can for $2.75, no canning date on the bottom. I wasn't terribly impressed by their Golden State Ale, but this is worse. Frankly it reminds me of failed homebrew.

I dont know, maybe this beer was kept in a hot warehouse for a month, or something went wrong between Santa Cruz and Pennsylvania, but I don't enjoy it. There's an odd grassy (not like hops) caramel taste. There's a hint of the kaffir lime that's added I can pull out of the aftertaste, but that's one of the few bright spots. Frankly this smells a bit like an Indian buffet with the coriander and lemongrass additions. I'm not sure what to make of this beer, but I don't want another can.

05-25-2011 04:11:28 | More by tempest
BeerImmediately

2.73/5  rDev -24.4%

This Emperor is not wearing any clothes, and I'm not afraid to say it. This is not a Dubbel, sorry.

Pours with a decent off white head over a deep amber body, with plenty of carbonation flowing up when held to the light.

Aromas are initially of lemongrass and lime, and as it warmed I picked up dark fruits and spices, with a touch of caramel.

Flavors are tart and tangy. Lots of lime, mint, and herbal / grassiness, with just a bit of coriander - quite different from the latter-stage aromas. Nothing rich or dark fruity about this - it's all citrus. Sort of like a gin and tonic with a sprig of mint and drop of caramel.

Mouthfeel is pretty sharp and thin. Nothing like the style should be (assuming they were going for this).

Unique and "uncommon" indeed. I give them credit for an original brew, but this is not something I would choose to buy again.

07-03-2011 15:25:30 | More by BeerImmediately
RblWthACoz

2.73/5  rDev -24.4%

This beer smells like hairspray. I'm sure there is some very technical term that would impress everyone. But hey. I don't know it. Anyways. This doesnt really work for me. I could have done without it. Unfortunately, that seems to be the theme for this brewery, for me.

08-31-2012 05:30:18 | More by RblWthACoz
Floydster

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

16 ounce can from Ledger's in Berkeley, poured into a pint glass, color is a golden amber color, 3/4 inch foamy white head that leaves lacing on the top of the glass, decent retention, smell was all over the place with lemongrass, raisins, coriander, bubble gum, lime, and booze, flavor starts off slightly spicy, some grassy accents mixed with fruit in the middle, finish has some dark fruit and a syrupy alcohol bite, Belgian yeast is overpowered by the bready malt once it warms, slightly sweet, spicy, chewy, and fruity mouthfeel, medium bodied on the fuller side, taste lingers, needs more carbonation, could not drink more than this serving as I barely got through this, heavy on the stomach, thickness got to me after a while, booze are not hidden either, first beer from this brewery, one of the weirdest dubbels I have ever tasted, not in a rush to drink this again, might be worth trying

02-06-2009 23:52:33 | More by Floydster
mdfb79

2.85/5  rDev -21.1%

Picked this up at Rick's in Alexandria a week or two ago. Poured from a 16 oz. can into my Lost Abbey glass.

a - Pours a deep medium brown color with two fingers of dark tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for two minutes or so and a few bubbles throughout drinking.

s - Smells a bit metalic, and or nuts, toasted malts, raisins, figs, dark fruits, fruity malts, and light sugar. The metalic notes throw it off a bit.

t - Tastes of sugar, sweet dark fruits, sweet fruity malts, raisins, plums, figs, molasses, toasted malta, bready malts, and burnt malts. A little too sweet but no metalic notes.

m - Medium body and moderate to high carbonation. Little bit of alcohol and a little too carbonated.

o - Overall I wasn't a big fan of this one. I thought the nose was a bit metalic, the taste was a little too sweet, and the body was a little too carbonated. Overall not a great beer and something I wouldn't seek out again or recommend.

03-21-2012 22:58:32 | More by mdfb79
PEBKAC

2.88/5  rDev -20.2%

Tossed this into the pile when I was one short of a six of shit ciders I've yet to try. It's a hobby of mine. :)

Gouden Carolus goblet. No BB date, no rust, all good.

Sandy caked head, muddy orange/brown body. I upset some protein at the end. My bad.

Smell is a bit lemon wood polish, resiny DIPA, whiskey sour, & aloe. I sort of knew what was coming, but it's still a bit odd.

Upfront tang, bitter peel, heavy coriander. Too much coriander without a comparable malt base. Big herbal bitters. Malt is overshadowed. Bland yeasty middle. Subtly sweet rind & coriander on the finish. Bit of a metallic note. Ugly alcohol.

Frothy throughout. Though not harsh, it's distracting. It's beaded really well, but not what I need. Obvious ABV. It hurts.

I could of handled more lime I think. Not enough quality lime beers out there. Don't be shy.

01-25-2011 06:06:42 | More by PEBKAC
Knapp85

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

This poured out as a hazy brown color. It's got an interesting yellowish colored head. The smell of the beer has some spicy citrus notes. There is some caramel and even some booze on the nose too. The taste of the beer has dark fruit flavor with some caramel in there, as it warms up the flavors become more earthy. The mouthfeel is smooth, interestingly soft carbonation. Dry finish too. Overall this beer is decent. Not my favorite Dubbel.

09-11-2012 01:15:22 | More by Knapp85
MisterClean

3.1/5  rDev -14.1%

Canned at the west coast beer festival.

A - Pours copper, with 2 fingers of orange-white head. Dissipates moderately slow and leaves nice lacing.

S/T - Caramel, estery sourness, citrus, and table sugar.

M - Well-balanced, malt dominated and slightly thin.

D - After hearing a lot about these brewers, I am a bit disappointed.

05-17-2009 19:02:22 | More by MisterClean
portia99

3.13/5  rDev -13.3%

Randomly picked up this 16oz can on a whim without knowing anything about this one...poured into an Allagash stemmed glass.

A - Pours a very clear, brownish mahogany capped with two fingers of foamy head that dies away to leave behind a bit of webby lacing on the glass.

S - Malty sweet on the nose, soft caramel, candy sugar, bread, light roasted malt and limes which end up dominating the aroma for me after I initially couldn't detect it on first pour. Definitely different, perhaps a bit weird but not necessarily in a bad way.

T - The aroma carries through right to the flavor. Alcohol is rather noticeable and warm. Lots of malt to dominate this one - bready, sweet and sugary, low hop bitterness, light roast, biscuits, some spices and the can't be missed limes...rather strange.

M - Thinnish end of medium bodied...carbonation is rather light. Mid-level alcohol warmth (more than I expected).

O - Not my favorite style and definitely not my favorite example of it. Had higher hopes for this, but the mix of spices and limes in a dubbel really didn't work well for me. Wasn't entirely unpleasant, just a bit too weird for my tastes. I think the lime is an interesting idea, but one that would play better in a lighter style.

11-18-2011 02:06:55 | More by portia99
TMoney2591

3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass.

Yeah, I'd say Siamese Twins are indeed pretty uncommon... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear ruby-garnet topped by a half-finger of dusty khaki foam. The nose comprises caramel, toasted rye bread, light lime peel, lemon zest, and a touch of banana. The taste holds notes of caramel, burnt rye bread, light lime zest, lemongrass (hey, for once it's actually in the beer!), clove, light fig, and a bit of banana peel. The fruit and grass combine for an occasionally harsh bitterness that tends to clash with the sweetness enveloping it. Luckily, this doesn't happen all the time. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a decidedly drying finish. Overall, an interesting dubbel, that's for sure, but one that's not my bag.

02-22-2012 05:37:38 | More by TMoney2591
tpd975

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

A beer in a can... off to a good start.

A: Pours a hazy dead shade of brown. Huge puffy off white head. Crazy good retention with tons of lace.

S: Lots of spice in the nose. Coriander for sure with notes of lemon zest and fresh lime. A bit of chemical and and alcohol sting to the nose as well.

T: Lime is the first thing I pick up. It is quickly overtaken by a huge coriander punch. There are hints of bread and Belgian yeast. Very herbal raw tea, hints of grass, and earth. The finish has a blast of boozy burn to it.

M: Medium in body, pretty good carbonation.

D: Just okay too much going on. Everything seems to be a bit in excess. Too much lime, too much spice, too much booze in the finish.

02-28-2010 19:17:08 | More by tpd975
thetomG

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

Reddish-caramel color. Nice fluffy foamy white head. Aroma has strong elements of lime & citrus, along with the more traditional Belgian-y aspects.
There is a somewhat strong malt presence that, while providing a nice chewy mouthfeel, just doesn't fit in all that well with the lime & corriander flavors.

This was an interesting beer, but for me the flavors just did not work all that well together. Probably not something I would seek out again, but glad I was able to try it.

08-30-2010 21:27:21 | More by thetomG
maximum12

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Thanks to lothore for dropping this into a recent marvelous box that barreled onto my front stoop. A new can, a new brewery. Always good. Bottom of the can states "packaged 12/7/09

Pours a full 16 oz. into my Free the Hops snifter, which takes it willingly. Very dark orange. Wildly spiced in the nose, must be the lemongrass, because it's unfamiliar.

Somebody tipped the spice rack into Siamese Twin Ale; I do believe that a chef could pick out dozens of undertones in this beer. But for all that it's aggressive for aggressive's sake. The spices run riot & it could be a dubbel, tripel, euro pale, Bud, or rum underneath. Not that it's bad; but the level of whack is heady. And a beer that I would have been happy to have in a 12 oz. can or bottle.

Really, a pretty good beer, it's just out of control, & bludgeons whatever the base beer is into a quaking, unset jelly. Nice effort; I'd rather brewers went too far than made another bland pale or IPA. I'd try another from them.

02-23-2011 03:39:05 | More by maximum12
CrazyDavros

Australia

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours brown with ruby highlights and a non-existent head.
Nose shows lemongrass, coriander, banana, caramel, chocolate fudge and Belgian doughy yeast. A bit weird.
Similar herbal flavours, along with caramel and more Belgian yeast.
Very low carbonation, could use a fair bit more.
Yep, weird sums up this beer quite well.

08-31-2012 02:24:22 | More by CrazyDavros
ricke

Sweden

3.23/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Reddish brown, quite pale for the style. An off-white very big head with good retention leaves lots of lacings.

S: Distinct, freshly tart lemon notes, some spices and earthy yeast upon a decent caramel malty backbone.

T: The taste is not too impressive. Quite a lot of spices and herbal notes. Citric notes are present, but slightly muted, and add a hint of tartness to the dominating sweetness. I get a very very faint note of funky blanket and stale yeast, and I'm wondering if this bottle is completely healthy. Decent malty flavors of caramel and chocolate, but for a double it's quite bland and one-sided. The finish is mildly bitter with spices, citric notes and warming phenolic alcohol. An almost burning sensation lingers on in the mouth, and I don't know what's causing it.

M: Quite full-bodied and smooth. Good.

D: Interesting and not as weird as it sounds like. But still, it's a bit edgy and unbalanced.

10-22-2009 23:41:03 | More by ricke
younger35

3.25/5  rDev -10%

Received a can of this from Murchmac as an extra in a recent trade. Definitely my first brew from Uncommon and I've honestly been pretty excited to try this. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Appearance- Pours a dark copper reddish with a hugely creamy sand colored head that has some serious staying power.
Smell- Very floral and perfumed with an almost lavender scent. Some citrus from the lime that's definitely not over-the-top, although it is interestingly aromatic. A light bit of candied malt and what I suppose is the coriander. Not much in the way of Belgium smelling by any means but definitely interesting.
Taste- Starts slightly sweet up front with a bit of biscuity malt and some lightly dirty Belgium yeast. Some spices are present but not near as forward as I thought they would be. A bit of lemon zest (or actually lime leaves this time) and some coriander are present but limited. The spices obviously should be light but after reading the can I thought they'd be more intense. Some caramel as it warms and some mineral water that is a touch metallic.
Mouthfeel- Medium body with very sharp carbonation and a sort of harsh prickly feel.
Drinkability- Not too bad. The smell is really nice and very interesting although it's not very Belgium. The taste however isn't as spicy and much more Belgium like. Granted it does open some as it warms. Overall very interesting and I did enjoy it. Thanks Tim!!

05-04-2009 03:12:57 | More by younger35
vacax

3.28/5  rDev -9.1%

First sighting I have had of Uncommon Brewers down in SoCal. I'm a big fan of their Baltic Porter and hope to see that one here as soon as can be managed.

Whoa nelly, this can is a foamer, dropped it right into my glass and poured slowly for a fairly huge light amber head. The beer itself is a sort of apple juice brown. Suspended yeast the further I get in the can, but I got a decently clear pour off the top of this. Decent retention for as fizzly as this was, though little lace to be had.

While this is a freaky twist on a dubbel, they are traditionally estery and fruity, and this beer keeps that in mind with a tropical fruit twist. The kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass give it a crisp citrus scent. Lightly spicy, but I cannot pick out the coriander. I also get a bit of apple juice sweetness which is also unique when it all matches up with a bit of Belgian style yeast. I'm going to have to say this one smells good, intriguing even!

Lightly sweet citrus at the very front, then an intesifying fruitiness with apples and raisins comes along and intensifies, leading to a quite spicy Belgian yeast redux. Long spicy finish ends with a bit of earth. Tropical twist on the fruitiness of a dubbel, and surprisingly spicy. In general, the kind of beer I would refer to as "interesting" though probably would not go for again. Lightly bodied with a very big dose of carbon dioxide, much too much of it. Enough to damage the score.

09-28-2009 01:54:00 | More by vacax