Siamese Twin Ale - Uncommon Brewers

good

Uncommon Brewers visit their website

Dubbel |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: illidurit on 07-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Siamese Twin Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
4.18/5  rDev +14.8%

Thank you papollo!

Pours a deep, hazy amber with a red-orange hue. Tiny soda like, fizzy head that fleeted quickly.

Oh, the nose starts off with a rich, sweet lemony, yeasty aroma. Sort of herbal smelling. This is quickly killed with a harsh alcohol odor accompanied by what I think smells like red rope licorice.

The taste overshadows the smell exponentially. Spicy comes to mind first, amazing (can says they use "Thai Spices.") There is also a mellow bite of lime flavor buried under the spice, that struggles to be noticed. Then comes the alcohol warmth, quite strong for 8.5%, but strangely balanced with the malt flavors that rear their head in the aftertaste. Awesome.

Mouthfeel could be better, severely low carbonation. Medium bodied, but the thickness and level of carbonation didn't really mesh for me.

Drinkability is crazy, combining the amazing taste and the alcohol level. This one could make a fool out of any BA. I wish I had more, this is brewery will rock the industry. (993 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Definately a "Different Beer Company" here, unfiltered Beligian style beer made with Thai Spices in a 16 OZ Tallboy beer can. Well if you are going to break all the rules might as well do a good job of it!

Pouring in the glass this is a furious foamer so take care getting it in a glass.

Cloudy reddish brown colored beer with a tall tan colored head.

Smell i sweet and soapy with the lime easy to scent. Coriander is quite strong but I can't find the lemon grass in the scent. Quite spicy to the nose.

Starts out Strong and spicy in the mouth, coriander hits hard and the lime does too. Very rich, the coriander is almost a hot spice here. Quite herbal to say the least.

Mouthfeel is thick.

This is just a little to weird to really be all that drinkable. (761 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +4.7%

16 oz tall boy can. Thats right, a Dubbel served out of a tall boy. This beer has my full attention. I got this one from the great Murchmac, and I had never heard of it. So needless to say, this is a pleasant suprise to a can whore (which I am). Straight from the can into a chalice, the way the gods intended.

A: Big time pop when I pulled the tab on this can. Much bigger than expected, and much better than I have ever heard from a can. Got a little bit of foamage coming out. The body is a very nice and murky, oak brown. Lots of haze in the body and when held to the light you get more of some honey hues coming out. The head is large and relentless. Got a good two fingers of light brown head built up on one of the most careful pours I have ever performed. The head is very thick and rocky, creating lace that is just thick and rocky. The glass is easily coated with this fine lace. Very impressive IMO.

S: When I cracked the can I got excited because a big whiff of malt and spice came out, but when I stick my nose in the chalice I am not getting as much as I expected. The malt is a bit sweet with a nice bready quality. Then you get all that earthy goodness that has some Asian influence. A really nice grassy aroma along with those lime leaves and lemongrass. Coriander is absolutely there, but it is light. The aromas are very nice, but I only wish they would come out in a more amplified way.

T: Whoa! Big flavor that pulls no punches. Really deceptive given the light aroma. You get walloped with some heavy coriander coming out first and foremost. Then comes that Belgian yeast and some nice bready malt. The malt appears to be a bit sweet but it is easily cut by that coriander presence and the spices that follow. There is a nice and earthy citrus profile coming out on the back end. Nice and slightly spicy notes mingle with the cooling of the lemongrass and the lime leaves. There is a bit of medicinal flavor that comes out with some alcohol to finish it off. At times that medicinal flavor can be a bit much. Still, very good.

M: A nice and slightly heavy on the medium in body. Has a pretty rich and slightly creamy feel that glides across the palate. There is a slight bitterness that lingers. Alcohol has some weight and some bite. Has some heat coming up on the palate, throat and some warmth in the belly. Aftertaste is that medicinal quality along with those citrus spices.

D: You know, when I read that this was an Asian inspired Dubbel, I didn't know what to think. After sampling it, I have to say it works. The flavors are really big and that does take away from the drinkability to me because it really weighs on the palate. With that said, its still an enjoyable brew and there is very little wrong with it IMO. The flavors are interesting and enjoyable. Sure the aroma is a bit weak and the flavors can be a bit heavy, but screw it. Damn impressive take on the style and a hell of impressive brew coming out of that can. Hell yeah! (2,973 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

Canned at the west coast beer festival.

A - Pours copper, with 2 fingers of orange-white head. Dissipates moderately slow and leaves nice lacing.

S/T - Caramel, estery sourness, citrus, and table sugar.

M - Well-balanced, malt dominated and slightly thin.

D - After hearing a lot about these brewers, I am a bit disappointed. (330 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap at The Red in Santa Cruz. Deep red-amber with a modest, creamy looking head. The aroma is sweet with light acidic notes and some spice. The flavor is quite malty like caramel and cookies, moderately sweet with less spice than the aroma, and a pronounced lime aspect coming in towards the end. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A richly flavored dubbel, although quite drinkable. It is a bit on the sweet side, and the lime is definitely a starring flavor component. I think that these guys have succeeded in being exactly what they claim to be: uncommon. That being said, this one is a bit more on the interesting side than the awesome side, but I would gladly have another when this becomes more available. 3.5 rerate: Canned. Less head, more alcohol, less lime. Still uncommon. this might not be what you think of when you think abbey dubbel, but it goes really well with foods that have a lot of flavors going on. The lime wasn*t overpowering like the draught pint i had a few months back, but it still gives a nice complexity along with the lemongrass and coriander. (1,084 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%

This thing showed huge carbonation but once that seceded things are very pretty. A deep unfiltered amber color with yeast galore and opaque. Head is yellow thick and chunky with long retention and thick sticky lace. Very nice.

Corriander really shines through the nose with hints of clove and lime. A very yeasty aroma with spicey esters. Hints of lemon and other citrusy fruits and a nice hop character.

I really like this. Reminiscent of a saison from the spicey and yeasty qualites but with the malt backing of a dubbel. Some caramel deep in the middle before the finish with earthy spicey components, nice hop bitterness. More corriander and clove, lemon, lime other citrus flavors. Very Nice and appetizing. (714 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz. can,

A: Comes out with a thick off-white fizzy head, that dies down quickly on a burnt sienna body.

S: Interesting, typical dubbel notes of raisin and plum, mixed with lime juice.

T: Again, really interesting, a strange mix of flavours, but they worked for me. Cake batter, treacle, full malt and brown sugar comes out fast and mixes with the bitter, herbal lemongrass. Lime comes in later, more bitter and medicinal than its traditional sour flavour and dries the beer out a bit.

M: Overly fizzy and carbonated initially, though a few swirls remedies this. Real nice warming alcohol effect without being boozy.

D: An unique tasting brew from Uncommon. The 2 beers I've had from them have really been like nothing I've ever had. A weird and enjoyable take on the dubbel, pick it up. (794 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%

Received a can of this from Murchmac as an extra in a recent trade. Definitely my first brew from Uncommon and I've honestly been pretty excited to try this. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Appearance- Pours a dark copper reddish with a hugely creamy sand colored head that has some serious staying power.
Smell- Very floral and perfumed with an almost lavender scent. Some citrus from the lime that's definitely not over-the-top, although it is interestingly aromatic. A light bit of candied malt and what I suppose is the coriander. Not much in the way of Belgium smelling by any means but definitely interesting.
Taste- Starts slightly sweet up front with a bit of biscuity malt and some lightly dirty Belgium yeast. Some spices are present but not near as forward as I thought they would be. A bit of lemon zest (or actually lime leaves this time) and some coriander are present but limited. The spices obviously should be light but after reading the can I thought they'd be more intense. Some caramel as it warms and some mineral water that is a touch metallic.
Mouthfeel- Medium body with very sharp carbonation and a sort of harsh prickly feel.
Drinkability- Not too bad. The smell is really nice and very interesting although it's not very Belgium. The taste however isn't as spicy and much more Belgium like. Granted it does open some as it warms. Overall very interesting and I did enjoy it. Thanks Tim!! (1,421 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a cloudy, dull, and murky orange color with a very faint head. Doesn't look to appealing...

Aromas are interesting, some citrus fruits, lime, a little vanilla, and light pine from the hops.

Taste is sweet up front. Some creamy malts, pineapple citrus fruit, light limes, and some corriander spices. Finish is crisp and warm, with the alcohol noticed, and a bit of mineral bitterness.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Full, smooth, and with good carbonation.

Drinkability is ok. Unique is an understatement when describing this beer. It's very odd, yet strangely refreshing. I'm glad I got to try it, but I'm not sure if I'd go out of my way to have it again. (661 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a murky orangy brown with an exploding orangy tan head. Expands up to 3 fingers before slowly dying down to a quarter inch. The color is really ugly, I'm not gonna lie, but there is pretty good retention with some lacing.

Smell is of lime and something slightly metallic. Not as unpleasant as that sounds.

Taste isn't too good. The first thing you notice, which is really distracting, is that it is overly carbonated. Really sparkly. The taste itself is something like a light Belgian dubbel with a lime squirted in it. A bit of the coriander comes out, but not as spicy as I expected.

The mouthfeel is thin and overly carbonated. This is pretty crisp and clean, and the alcohol is well hidden, however.

I could drink a lot of this, even at 8.5%

Overall, not a bad beer, especially at 10 bucks for 4 16oz cans, but not my favorite. Probably won't buy another 4pk. (877 characters)

Poured from a nifty 16 oz can

A - Honey amber brown with a rocky head that persisted for a while but settled to a wispy head.

S - Belgians are new for me. They are so different than other beers. I like it. Sweet and I detect the corriander.

T - Very tasty. Sweet but not cloying. Complex.

M - nice and chewy but very soft it the mouth.

D - 8.5 is dangerous but I like this beer. (383 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +18.7%

Born in the funky beach/college town of Santa Cruz, I wasn't surprised to find that Uncommon's Belgian-style Double had a few tricks up its sleeve. The first thing I noticed, apart from the can, was how thick and opaque this brew pours. Pumpkin-colored with a crazy hop-driven retentive head, the Siamese Twin throws off a nose full of yeast, spices, and a healthy underpinning of hops.

"What we have here is a hoppy Belgian dubbel with Thai spices ... especially coriander," said Nor Cal Bobby Java, without even looking at the can. This tasty treat disappeared from my glass before I could take further notes, always a good sign. (632 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

16 ounce can from Ledger's in Berkeley, poured into a pint glass, color is a golden amber color, 3/4 inch foamy white head that leaves lacing on the top of the glass, decent retention, smell was all over the place with lemongrass, raisins, coriander, bubble gum, lime, and booze, flavor starts off slightly spicy, some grassy accents mixed with fruit in the middle, finish has some dark fruit and a syrupy alcohol bite, Belgian yeast is overpowered by the bready malt once it warms, slightly sweet, spicy, chewy, and fruity mouthfeel, medium bodied on the fuller side, taste lingers, needs more carbonation, could not drink more than this serving as I barely got through this, heavy on the stomach, thickness got to me after a while, booze are not hidden either, first beer from this brewery, one of the weirdest dubbels I have ever tasted, not in a rush to drink this again, might be worth trying (897 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%

01/29/09- Purchased at Ledger's in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 16oz can, no freshness info found. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Deep golden colored pour with a semi-creamy full one inch head. Light patches and some streaks of lace left behind.

Smell- At first it has a rather unappealing nose. Kind of medicinal and rubbery. As it warms, you can definitely smell the corriander and a bit of lemongrass.

Taste- A must drink headed towards room temperature beer. Not very flavorful cold, but shows it's various spices as it warms towards room temp. Lemongrass, ginger, a good chunk of corriander and a honey like flavor.

Mouthfeel- Not really creamy, but smooth and somewhat thick. Leaves a light mouthcoating.

Drinkability- Not sure if this is a Dubbel. I would lean more towards a Belgian Strong Pale, but at any rate, it is quite different than the rest and worth a try. (888 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

Got this as a throw-in from Adam (Nanoslug) - thanks a bunch dude. Poured it into my Darkness goblet.

A - Opaque copper color, with a one-fingered tan foam that dissipates relatively quickly and leaves a bit of lacing. Tiny streams of bubbles make their way up the sides of the glass.

S - There's a fair bit of citrus here, but not in the hoppy kind of way. Lemon peel, spice, coriander. There's also some sweet malt and Belgian-style yeast that pops up as the brew gets a little warmer. There's a lot of bite to it when you get up close. The smell is really unique, but I'm not certain how I feel about it.

T - The citrus and spice take a back seat and I get more of the biscuit-y malt and yeast that I associate with dubbels. There's a touch of booziness but it's not overwhelming. The spice pops up more at the back end and tickles the palate a little - also lingers in the aftertaste.

M - Creamy and refreshing - I'm not a regular with dubbels, so I don't know if they are all this light, but then thinness corresponds with the citrus-y character. Probably a little more carbonation than I like.

D - Not sure if this could be a regular beer. The spice aftertaste, carbonation, and relatively high ABV make this more of an occasional peculiarity.

Glad I got to try this - although it's kind of weird drinking Belgian styles from a can. It's definitely Uncommon, and more successful than a lot of other "crazy" beer experiments (*cough* DFH *cough*). The organic certification combines with the high ABV to give me a warm feeling inside. (1,545 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

I decided to open this to drown my sorrows after FrognutUnl didn't accept my IP Relay call.

Extra from Nanoslug. 16oz can from July 23rd 2008.

Pours light hazy brown with a giant creme colored head. Smells of Lemon, Limes, Bananas, Coriander, and Crystal Malt. Tastes the same but with Chocolate. Nice Citrus finish. Very original and interesting. I'm not a huge fan of Coriander, but I'd still definitely recommend this. (424 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

On tap.

Poured a medium and cloudy amber color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of gerneral herbalness, lemongrass, some spices, and limes. Tastes of the same but the herbalness wasnt as strong and some citrus too. I wasn't getting the normal profile I would expect in a dubbel. (288 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

This is the first double I ever poured from a can. And it is delightful.

A: Good head, with Belgian lacing on the glass. A translucent chocolate brown.

S: Tropical fruits of all kinds, chocolate, spice cake.

T: A light tropical taste, with lime and coriander being the main ingredients and really come through. Stylistically, I'd say it is like a tripel due to the fruitiness and sweetness, but then you have the dark malt and the coffee and chocolate going too. So I'd say it's a hybrid double/tripel. Taking coriander to the heights, now I really get a sense of what coriander can taste like in a beer. As I linger over this, I am getting all kinds of tropical fruit salad, butterscotch, and coffee.

M: Light mouthfeel, coats all areas equally well, and the cilantro really leaves a lingering zip on the top of the tongue, while the chocolate flavors seem to jump around then settle under the tongue.

D: This is really an experience. One will probably do me fine in an evening because of the explosion of flavors as well as the alcohol (8.5% ABV).

This is an exciting, uncommon beer from Uncommon Brewers, certified organic, with locally sourced ingredients from the Santa Cruz, CA area. I look forward to more innovations from this brewer. (1,252 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

This is a very flavourful and interesting dubbel, if somewhat sweet.

Red brown, it has a big pale tan head, slightly orangish, that shrinks slowly to a foamy ring and leaves a little bit of lace.

The aroma is citrus (with a specific hint of grapefruit), toasted malt-whole wheat bread, pears, a faint hint of banana, yeast. It smells a lot like an abbey, but different, with more citrus and a definitely stronger range of elements than many.

The taste is very nice, very interesting, with caramelly fruit-whole wheat bread, citrus, rum, spices and raisiny spiciness. It's sweet, zesty, and a bit spicey, but very smooth, with the alcohol warming and not harsh or overpowering. It has a definite abbey/dubbel character, but with a lot of flavour and s lightly different quality to it. It's very nice with quite a lot of flavour. My main complaint is that alone it is a bit too sweet although they suggest pairing it with SE Asian food and I can see how this would work really well. (983 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a dark cloudy copper brown. Thin off white head that disappears quickly. A whiff of malt and no hops in the aroma. Taste is unique-a very very candy sugar sweetness coats your tongue, and you can really get the lemongrass and Thai spices when you taste this beer-and this for me is the saving grace of this beer ad sets it apart from other doubles-however, I find it difficult to drink an entire can because it is so sweet. Mouthfeel is medium and drinkability medium-I like this beer but I wish it were more drinkable. (525 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +11%

16 ounce can dated May 27, 2008. Poured into a St Bernardus goblet. Translucent, cloudy amber/caramel color with a light tan, centimeter-tall head. The foam fizzles too quickly for a Belgian style ale, and leaves little lacing.

Nice aroma, lots of chewy sweet malt, dark plummy fruit, obvious coriander, and a bright tart lime note that while being a little strong, is an interesting complement.

Maine maple syrup maltiness provides a basis of flavor with accents of banana pith, grass, and a more subdued kaffir lime note. Great job of hiding the alcohol, but the finish is rather short and the complexity in taste is a little low considering the great aroma.

This beer vanishes from the palate very cleanly, its only remnant a pleasant mild warmth in the chest. Both the carbonation and the body could stand to be a little more substantial. Impressive drinkability.

Overall a nice, creative dubbel that has helped to partially restore my faith in the ability of a Santa Cruz brewery to produce good beer. (1,010 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +17.6%

On tap at Mission Pizza in Fremont. Served in a chilled pint glass. Great lookin' beer. Amber with a nice sandy colored head which left some impressive lacework down the glass. Aroma is somewhat muted but I'm picking up a little malt, a little banana. Wonderful flavor...big malt, nutty, grainy, nuances of raisin and banana. Medium to full bodied with a smooth mouthfeel. Very well done. Tastes a little stronger than the 8.5 listed here. I would definitely recommend this. (474 characters)

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last