Siamese Twin Ale - Uncommon Brewers

Siamese Twin AleSiamese Twin Ale

good

Uncommon Brewers visit their website

Dubbel |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: illidurit on 07-26-2008)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Siamese Twin Ale Alström Bros
MADhombrewer

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My wife gave me a glass of this when I had no idea what it was. This is a blind taste review. Poured into a small wine glass.

Appearance- Cloudy dark copper appearance. Small white head that dissipates quickly. 3.5/5

Smell- Tart cherry aroma. Not much hop smell. Some malt aroma though out. 3.5/5

Taste- Tart cherry and malt. Not very hoppy, but very malty. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel- A little thick. Sweet and sticky. 4/5

Overall- Ok beer. A little thick and sweet. Not nessasarily my cup of tea. 3.5/5

05-02-2011 01:04:11 | More by MADhombrewer
maximum12

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Thanks to lothore for dropping this into a recent marvelous box that barreled onto my front stoop. A new can, a new brewery. Always good. Bottom of the can states "packaged 12/7/09

Pours a full 16 oz. into my Free the Hops snifter, which takes it willingly. Very dark orange. Wildly spiced in the nose, must be the lemongrass, because it's unfamiliar.

Somebody tipped the spice rack into Siamese Twin Ale; I do believe that a chef could pick out dozens of undertones in this beer. But for all that it's aggressive for aggressive's sake. The spices run riot & it could be a dubbel, tripel, euro pale, Bud, or rum underneath. Not that it's bad; but the level of whack is heady. And a beer that I would have been happy to have in a 12 oz. can or bottle.

Really, a pretty good beer, it's just out of control, & bludgeons whatever the base beer is into a quaking, unset jelly. Nice effort; I'd rather brewers went too far than made another bland pale or IPA. I'd try another from them.

02-23-2011 03:39:05 | More by maximum12
ejyoung

Arizona

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

16oz can poured into Bruery tulip.

It pours a nice amber color with lots of white-ish head, which settles to about a quarter inch.

The smell is somewhat harsh - herb, alcohol, and coriander. Maybe a hint of the lime/lemongrass.

Taste works pretty well overall. The coriander goes well with the lime and lemongrass. The lemongrass and lime give it a citrusy tang which is interesting next to the malty/dark fruit flavor of a dubbel.

Medium body - the alcohol isn't as evident as I expected based on the smell. Good carbonation.

02-18-2011 02:53:54 | More by ejyoung
PEBKAC

2.88/5  rDev -20.2%

Tossed this into the pile when I was one short of a six of shit ciders I've yet to try. It's a hobby of mine. :)

Gouden Carolus goblet. No BB date, no rust, all good.

Sandy caked head, muddy orange/brown body. I upset some protein at the end. My bad.

Smell is a bit lemon wood polish, resiny DIPA, whiskey sour, & aloe. I sort of knew what was coming, but it's still a bit odd.

Upfront tang, bitter peel, heavy coriander. Too much coriander without a comparable malt base. Big herbal bitters. Malt is overshadowed. Bland yeasty middle. Subtly sweet rind & coriander on the finish. Bit of a metallic note. Ugly alcohol.

Frothy throughout. Though not harsh, it's distracting. It's beaded really well, but not what I need. Obvious ABV. It hurts.

I could of handled more lime I think. Not enough quality lime beers out there. Don't be shy.

01-25-2011 06:06:42 | More by PEBKAC
Swimsum

3.43/5  rDev -5%

Poured into Bruery Tulip.

Pours out a deep murky golden color. Huge head emerges on this, half of the glass is foam. The head is bubbly and foamy and is white in color. The head seems to recede pretty quickly. No lacing is produced on the glass.

Lemon and lime are very apparent in the smell of this one. It really is an interesting smell as I don't think I've smelled a beer like this before (without adding a lemon or lime wedge). I'm not sure which I'm getting more, the lemon or the lime, but it's nice. Not getting a lot of coriander though.

The taste is a lot more of the Belgian flavor than the smell would let on (I didn't get much of any of smells I'd come to expect from Belgian beers). The lemon and lime really aren't too present in the flavor. There is a fruity ester that is present right before the beer is swallowed. Not tasting any alcohol on this one. I wish the lemon, coriander and lime were more pronounced in the taste.

The carbonation seems really high to me. It almost is distracting on the palate. I feel like foam is forming in my mouth with each sip, not really enjoyable. There is an estery taste that also lingers in the mouth after the beer is swallowed. Not the high point of the beer for me.

The drinkability of this one was alright. I mean I was able to finish it without a problem but the really high carbonation was really distracting from the taste of the beer. I'd like to try other beers from Uncommon but I'll probably pass on this one.

EDIT: While cleaning out the can I noticed the packaged on sticker on the bottom of the can saying it was packaged on 3/19/2010. This would make it 10 months old tomorrow. Not sure I would have bought it had I noticed that when buying it.

01-19-2011 04:53:17 | More by Swimsum
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%

This is so far the strangest sounding beer I have ever tasted. I read the label and had to pick it up to try. I am glad I did.

It pours a cloudy brown with hints of red and orange. It looks amazing!

With all of the amazing ingredients in this brew, I would have expected a stronger scent to enjoy them, but I was a bit disappointed. You get hints of malt, citrus and coriander.

At first I wasn't a fan of the taste. I didn't know what to expect based on the description, but after a few more sips I began to taste all of the different ingredients and really started to enjoy it! It definitely grew on me. I can taste the dubbel base, but the "uncommon" ingredients come out well.

Overall, this drinks smoothly and tastes pretty good. It isn't something I would want every day, but I would have it again.

12-19-2010 20:47:58 | More by VWBuggirl
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Darker than expected, and very cloudy; a solid brick red-cinnamon, with very little head to speak of. Not particularly nice for a dubbel. The aroma is intriguing, appropriately fruity and tinged with Thai spices; the fusion seems to work, at least in the nose. Lychee sweetness and delicate malty notes of muscovado sugar and honey combine with banana and bubblegum yeast to create a nice foundation for the kaffir lime, lemongrass, and coriander. There is a hint of orange soda in there as well. The flavor is subtle and quite tasty, more Belgian than Thai, but that's probably a good thing; the coriander accentuates the earthy spiciness of the yeast, while the kaffir lime and lemongrass wed nicely to the natural fruity and citric flavors from the hops. A bit thin overall, stronger than it needs to be, and a bit vague - but in general a successful and tasty experiment.

12-14-2010 19:26:52 | More by soulgrowl
xnicknj

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

16 oz can poured into large snifter glass. thanks to mrmiles for this during the Nice Cans II BIF

Pours a hazed burnt orange with an insane head (three fingers high at least) which threatens to slowly bubble over the rim of the glass. Retains almost too well with boatloads of puffy lacing all over the place.

Touches of herbs and spices in the nose, along with a bit of pleasant funk, lemongrass, and fruit sweetness.

Begins with some dark fruit sweetness (dates or figs), which quickly mixes with lime, citrus zest, and lemongrass. The citrus is curious but somehow pleasant, combining with some herbal spiciness and yeasty funk. A bit of caramel dark malt flavor moves in towards the finish, along with a splash of sweetness, tang, and a slight hint of warmth at the end.

Medium bodied, creamy, mid level carbonation, a little dryness. Pretty smooth drinking, and the flavors all seem to work fairly well despite my initial skepticism, although it was a little sweet towards the end. This is definitely an uncommon beer.

11-05-2010 02:56:56 | More by xnicknj
nataku00

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Served on tap poured into a taster glass at the Bay Area Craft Beer Fest. Poured slightly hazy brown with some streaks of orange when held up to the light. Good carbonation visible on the sides of the glass to feed an initial two fingers of fluffy head.

Nose was a little weaker than I'd like from a Belgian style ale that had such a nice initial head. Temperature was fine for the beer, but it was only a feint dried figs, citrus (probably from the lemongrass), and brown sugar.

Taste follows the nose early on the tongue, with the citrus elements from the Thai spices helping to keep the typical dubbel flavors of fig and candy sugar interesting. Good malty backbone helps keep the spices in check.

Roughly medium bodied beer hid its alcohol nicely to make the beer nicely drinkable.

10-24-2010 20:57:10 | More by nataku00
GabrielM

New Mexico

4.43/5  rDev +22.7%

Shared from a generous trader in the Nice Cans II BIF - thanks!
Poured into a snifter.

A - deep caramel color with nice 1-inch white head and nice lacing.

S - citrus, orange, coriander, bread, wheat grass.

T - semi-sweet fruit upfront, a slight lemony tartness on the back of the palate.

M - outstanding! Very smooth, perfectly carbonated, feels wonderful on the palate from start to finish.

D - really damn good beer and not a trace of alcohol. The only thing that might prevent me from having more than one or two in a row is the fruity sweetness - it may get to be too much. However, the one (and only) I have is going to be very much enjoyed.

10-17-2010 23:51:48 | More by GabrielM
WestValleyIPA

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 16 oz can into my Zatec fluted glass. Light brown/amber color with about 3 fingers of foamy, light brown, very quickly dissipating head. Smells like Belgian yeast, maybe some spice and chocolate. Taste, and here's where it gets weird, definitely a sourish lemony something, spice, a medium light hop bitterness, and I don't know what. I guess probably the Kaffir lime puckering my mouth. Nice light crisp bubbles. Very drinkable for 8.5%, but then, I don't think I could drink another. I very much like how different this is, but I don't know if I actually like it. Get back to you on that one.

09-25-2010 06:16:49 | More by WestValleyIPA
thetomG

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

Reddish-caramel color. Nice fluffy foamy white head. Aroma has strong elements of lime & citrus, along with the more traditional Belgian-y aspects.
There is a somewhat strong malt presence that, while providing a nice chewy mouthfeel, just doesn't fit in all that well with the lime & corriander flavors.

This was an interesting beer, but for me the flavors just did not work all that well together. Probably not something I would seek out again, but glad I was able to try it.

08-30-2010 21:27:21 | More by thetomG
msubulldog25

3.35/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured to a Chimay goblet from a 16 oz. can (sticker on the bottom: Packaged 5/12/10); picked this up at Bailey's Taproom in early July after trying it twice at NAOBF in June.

'Ale brewed with Kaffir lime leaves, Lemongrass, and Coriander'. A lengthy label sidebar better explains the conjoining of a more traditional Belgian style with the spicing/flavors of Thailand.

A: Simply put, one of the prettiest dubbels I've seen: deep ruby/garnet, excellent clarity at first (when held to light, otherwise a browner drabness) showcasing a cascade of small carbonation. Later, when nearing the bottom of the can, an unfiltered haze takes over. Not a tall head, but certainly a long-lived one: this 1/2" lid of ivory cream sat unmoving for the better part of ten minutes.

S: Very mellow: a fleeting graininess that hints at cocoa powder, a dusting of ground spice (coriander and a light pepper) and the odd introduction of tropical lime (just a squeeze).

T: Marry a decent abbey/dubbel (husky grain, ample coriander/spice, fruity sweetness) with the grassy/floral nature of Thai spicing and tart pithiness of citrus leaves...well that's what you got. Talk about 'uncommon': who mixed my cocoa with lemongrass? The abruptness with which the 'Belgian' stylings end and the other half of this set of twins takes over is fairly pronounced. Plenty flavorful, a finish that's more 'dirty' and bitter than expected, but the longer-lasting profile highlights 'citrus'. An enigma.

M: Creamy, velvety smoothness...a spiced zestiness without as much as a pinprick of harshness. A little warming glow creeping in at the finish, so the 8.5% isn't altogether hidden, but a pleasant medium-bodied feel. A yeasty coating/finish.

D: Hmmm...I'm a fan of 'curious' beers, ones where brewers push boundaries and craft originality in whatever they brew. This one has successes and shortcomings; while I think the introduction of Asian ingredients is an intriguing concept, they twist the dubbel that I know and enjoy in a way that I don't think I need to have again. A try or two is fine, but ultimately I'm not sold on the repeated drinkability of this experiment.

08-26-2010 13:34:47 | More by msubulldog25
Metalmonk

3.5/5  rDev -3%

This can was sent by the great msubulldog25, a man whose generosity knows no bounds. Thanks Brian! (And cheers to Chang & Eng)

Wowza, this thing is a beaut: over an inch of dirty white head, fluffy, firm and long-lasting. The color is a caramel-esque brown, veering toward milk chocolate but never quite getting that dark. About as interesting-looking as the label description of the ingredients (Belgian dubbel brewed with kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass and coriander).

Coriander, lemon and lime are detected in the aroma, but they're subtle...actually everything else about the aroma is subtle. The sweet caramel/toffee-like malt is there but hanging far back, as is that tell-tale Belgian yeast character (not sure they actually brewed with a Belgian yeast strain). Not bad, but doesn't leave much of an impression. Despite the exotic elements, it's a tame smell.

The flavor is about as strange as the description on the label. I just couldn't reconcile Belgian dubble meets lime leaves and lemongrass in my mind. Still can't now that it's on my tongue. Not saying it's bad, but...I guess "interesting" would be my best description of the flavor. Things are spicy and almost minty, with the coriander, lime and lemongrass working together as they do, as if you accidentally dropped some toothpaste into your glass of Belgian brown ale. The sweeter, candy-like characteristics of the malt "pop" thanks to these unusual ingredients. Intense herbal-ness and exotic spiciness are just barely kept in check by brown bread, caramel/toffee and earthy yeast dirtiness.

How much alcohol is in here? 8.5%? I wouldn't have known, as there's little to no alcohol flare, and the oddity of the flavor distracts from even thinking about alcohol content and its contribution to flavor. Finishes a little bit dry, even somewhat tart.

Feels smooth and slick, round and silky, gently carbonated; plenty of presence in the mouth. Just about right for the style.

Uncommon? Oh hell yeah. Just not as enjoyable as I'd hoped. But it did start growing on me, and with warming things began coalescing a little better. Still, every now and then my palate was rocked by the odd ingredients, just as I was starting to decipher and "feel" the dubbel-ness of this thing. Ultimately, even though I might never crave another, it's hard to dislike when I know I'll remember the flavor forever...there's no other beer out there like this one, as far as I know.

08-02-2010 22:57:44 | More by Metalmonk
beertunes

Washington

2.71/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Thanks again to Tyler for grabbing this one for me. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a slightly cloudy version the reddish-brown color typical of the style. The aroma was a combination of the malty sweetness of the style and the different than usual spices added to this one.

On the tongue the spices pop across the tongue in an unexpected manner and linger with the malt and yeast at the back of the tongue. The body was on the thin side of average for the style. Drinkability will depend on your taste for the spices, personally, I probably wouldn't have more than a couple in a row. This is a unique take on the style, worth trying.

Edit 2/19/13: Had this again, not sure why it's listed here as Dubbel, but whatevs. I found the blend of flavors and spices here to really be a weird mess. The body had a sharp, harsh bite at the back. It wasn't an easy beer to drink, I suggest avoiding this one.

07-05-2010 00:58:06 | More by beertunes
emmasdad

Colorado

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

A gift from my friend Marty. Another canned beer, and one that I had never heard of. Pouring this one into a pint glass results in a cloudy orange-brown pour, with merely a suggestion of light tan foam. An interesting nose on this one, though not unexpected after reading the can; lemon, lime, Belgian spices. On the palate, I get a little of that citrus, along with yeast, bready malt and some caramel. A unique and interesting beer.

06-02-2010 23:16:38 | More by emmasdad
loving44

3.93/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Chock up another winner for craft beer in cans. This is one interesting beer!

A: deep amber to brown with a white fluffy head. Tons of foam when I opened the can, maybe it was the elevation (I was up in the mountains) or maybe it's the style, but the foam would not stop! I had to rapidly pour it into a glass to avoid it getting all over the place.

S. Super heavy on the lime, bready malt and yeast.

T: crist and refreshing, a doughy, bready malt base, syrupy sweet with a nice citrus burst from the use of the lime leaves that balances the sweetness nicely. After two of these it became aparent that the lime is just too strong, and the malt too syrupy sweet to make this a session beer.

M: light carbonation and slightly syrupy.

D: refreshing yes, but not the most drinkable beer due to the strong flavors and syrupy finish. I would drink it again if I wanted a nice flavorful hot weather sipper.

05-30-2010 05:30:19 | More by loving44
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a dark copper with a foamy tan head. Smell of belgian yeast, bread, dough, spices, lemon, and a sweet aroma.

Taste of strong belgian yeast, Lime is pretty strong on a level by itself. I would say Kaffir lime is strangely similar to a chemical lime I have tasted in the past although just entirely coincidental. Medium to thick mouthfeel with a relatively light carbonation. Coriander and Lemongrass also make this a little bit of a sipper. The flavors go together well and would probably be tasty even on a hot day although I usually do not think of a Dubbel as a brew I would be sipping out on a beach etc. Maybe I should?

05-28-2010 23:04:50 | More by alpinebryant
Mora2000

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this beer. A Belgian Dubbel in a can? Interesting.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is lemon and lime with some sugar and alcohol. The flavor is lime with caramel malt, lemon and some sweeter dark fruit. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A nice twist on a dubbel.

05-22-2010 04:34:01 | More by Mora2000
Kegatron

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can into a goblet.

Pours a deep clear copper, with about 2 fingers of stiff off-white head. This retains with a frothy 1/2 finger, that leaves a thick and foamy cascade of lacing that quickly slides down the sides of the glass. The aroma is well...interesting. It's got that basic Dubbel mix of bread, sugars, and yeast going on with it, but the tart fruity notes of lemon and lime, as well as the spice from the coriander really gives this a deep zesty pop in the nose that pretty much controls things. A touch of alcohol warmth adds some thickness to the bouquet.

The taste is similar, with a thick and sticky base of sweet breads and candied sugars starting things off. Man, you can really taste that lemon grass and kaffir lime in this (both rather distinctly), which add a zesty bite of flavor to the profile. Spice and earthy dryness linger long past the finish after each sip. The mouthfeel is full bodied, with a sharp creaminess that sits on top of some much thicker feeling alcohol beef. Speaking of which, the ABV is very much felt here, warming the finish before laying some heat in the chest and stomach after each sip.

While I can't really say that this absolutley worked for me, I do have to give props on the innovative angle these guys took on a Belgian-Style Dubbel. Just a bit too much going on with the spices here and I wish that this had held the alcohol in check just a bit more as well. I will say that this does make me interested in trying some more offerings from these guys. Uncommon indeed...

05-10-2010 17:11:16 | More by Kegatron
srandycarter

3.43/5  rDev -5%

A - Opened the sucker and out came massive foam. Poured slowly into Duvel, TONS of head. Had to wait for some time. Lots of sticky lace. Brown, fairly clear dark tea color.

S - Do not care for the smell. Kind of smells like rust on iron to me.

T - Sweet and spicy to start, bitter to a fault near the end.

M - Fairly nice body in style, balance is ok but a little heavy handed on the bitter at end.

D - One per session is enough for me!

04-16-2010 06:16:21 | More by srandycarter
koopa

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

Can received as an extra in a trade with a generous BA thanks!

Appearance: Pours a glowing orange that is btw copper and pumpkin. Like "sun tea" if you have seen that unsweetened crap before. Crown is white, 2 fingers, shows little retention and some lace. Not a bad looking brew, but it doesn't resemble a Dubbel in my opinion. Oh and massive "clay like' chunks of sediment floating throughout...

Smell: Loads of coriander, belgian yeast, a hint of candi sugar, lemon grass.

Taste: Same as nose but Kaffie lime leaves really do come through. Kind of like a belgian yeast and malt meets yuzi but a touch more lime than yuzi in flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with decent carbonation.

Drinkability: The mouthfeel is good but the flavor profile and the abv hold this one back a bit for me.

04-01-2010 19:30:20 | More by koopa
tpd975

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

A beer in a can... off to a good start.

A: Pours a hazy dead shade of brown. Huge puffy off white head. Crazy good retention with tons of lace.

S: Lots of spice in the nose. Coriander for sure with notes of lemon zest and fresh lime. A bit of chemical and and alcohol sting to the nose as well.

T: Lime is the first thing I pick up. It is quickly overtaken by a huge coriander punch. There are hints of bread and Belgian yeast. Very herbal raw tea, hints of grass, and earth. The finish has a blast of boozy burn to it.

M: Medium in body, pretty good carbonation.

D: Just okay too much going on. Everything seems to be a bit in excess. Too much lime, too much spice, too much booze in the finish.

02-28-2010 19:17:08 | More by tpd975
DoubleJ

2.73/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If The Bruery can make a tripel with Asian spices, why not Uncommon Brewers with a dubbel? Bought this in Santa Cruz, and it's a beer that would make my Siamese cat proud. On to the beer:

Not much of a head forms on top of this beer. The appearance is on target to style: cloudy caramel orange color, with tanned hues and some brown hues. There are some dark fruits in the nose. A smell something sweet n' spicy....it must be those spices. Peppery.

I'm not getting a whole lot of malty goodness. A little bit of plum emerges underneath whatver oddball spices are there. There is a good amount of heat from the alcohol at first, but as time passes it cools some. Peppery flavor begins to dominate during the second half of the time the beer is in the mouth. A little spice and plum in the aftertaste.

Ehh....not the most memorable beer I've had. The overall flavor isn't doing the trick, and it seems a little thin and overspiced in the mouth. Maybe dubbels aren't ideal to have added spices?

02-11-2010 05:20:19 | More by DoubleJ
womencantsail

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

A: The pour is a hazy light brown color with an extremely fluff off-white head which sticks around forever and leaves wonderful lacing.

S: The nose offers the typical fruity Belgian esters and spicy yeast qualities. The coriander that is added to the beer is very noticeable, but not so much in terms of the lime leaves or lemongrass.

T: The flavor is very interesting. The beer has an underlying sweet maltiness with a touch of dark fruit, which would be the only hint that you are drinking a dubbel. The lemongrass and lime leaves really provide a citrus note that provides quite a twist on the style. The coriander is present in there too, as are the other spice flavors, especially on the finish.

M: The body is medium with a very high level of carbonation which leaves a full, creamy feeling on the tongue.

D: I'm not entirely sure what to make of this beer. The brewers have certainly lived up to their moniker (Uncommon), and it's an interesting twist on a classic style.

02-09-2010 04:30:47 | More by womencantsail