Siamese Twin Ale - Uncommon Brewers

Siamese Twin AleSiamese Twin Ale

good

Uncommon Brewers visit their website

Dubbel |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: illidurit on 07-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Siamese Twin Ale Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #52 (May 2011):

Canned extreme beer, hell yeah! Dark ruby color, lacing is as good as it gets. Mouthwatering aroma, the lime leaves and lemongrass along with the malt sweetness make for one of the best-smelling beers we’ve seen in a long time. Brawny like a Dubbel, with a hint of broth, which quickly moves to showcase spices of lime leaves and lemongrass; coriander plays second fiddle. Tart bite from the spicing melds well with the malt base. Alcohol jumps on the palate with a sooth- ing warmth. There is a lot of unusual flavor not only for a beer, but for the style; however, it really works here. The result is a very interesting and very drinkable beer. Sometimes it pays to go out on a limb.

BeerAdvocate, Jul 28, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

16 ounce can, date stamped on can of 06/06/2011 (don't know if that's the canned on or best buy date). Served in a St. Bernardus chalice, the beer pours a cloudy reddish/brown color with almost a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both average. Aroma is sweet and spicy, the brew smells like caramel malt, lime, brown sugar, dark fruit and some lemongrass. It tastes like caramel and bready malt, lemongrass, lime, coriander, herbs, and a bit of dark fruit. There's also a lingering bittersweet finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit sticky with moderate carbonation. I think this is an interesting brew, I liked it. It's worth a try.

bluejacket74, Jul 21, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured slowly into a Bruery tulip. This beer is a muddy brown and seems to be quite thick. The smell when I opened the can was a bit worrying. I got a whiff of rusty metal and old beer. Upon properly smelling the beer I get definite hints of ginger and lemongrass mixed with the sweet and alcohol qualities of a dubbel. None of the smells stand out though and if I were to blind taste this beer I would be wary of how it tasted after smelling it.

Not much to taste on the front but after that the beer washes over your mouth coating it with a bitter sweetness with perhaps just a bit of ginger spiciness. Aftertaste is plain and malty. I taste absolutely no Belgian yeast in this.

I'm pretty disappointed in this beer. I was excited when I found a store selling single cans of it because I was unwilling to buy a 4-pack of it where I normally buy all my beer.

20ozmonkey, Jul 14, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -24.2%

This Emperor is not wearing any clothes, and I'm not afraid to say it. This is not a Dubbel, sorry.

Pours with a decent off white head over a deep amber body, with plenty of carbonation flowing up when held to the light.

Aromas are initially of lemongrass and lime, and as it warmed I picked up dark fruits and spices, with a touch of caramel.

Flavors are tart and tangy. Lots of lime, mint, and herbal / grassiness, with just a bit of coriander - quite different from the latter-stage aromas. Nothing rich or dark fruity about this - it's all citrus. Sort of like a gin and tonic with a sprig of mint and drop of caramel.

Mouthfeel is pretty sharp and thin. Nothing like the style should be (assuming they were going for this).

Unique and "uncommon" indeed. I give them credit for an original brew, but this is not something I would choose to buy again.

BeerImmediately, Jul 03, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

pours a rich golden red murky hue with a two-finger ruddy-tan head that fades quickly and leaves fair lacing.

aroma of sugar, maple syrup, ginger and green apple. a hint of yeastiness and a touch of lemon (lemongrass?)

mouth is sweet. fruity, tart, yeasty. lemon or maybe lemongrass and some interesting citrus. my mind wants me to think this is going funky, but the addition of lime and lemongrass to a dubbel would do this. interesting.

mouth is full, slick, a bit sticky, with light but somehow prickly carbonation. it kind of works for the flavors, although it's right on the edge of cloying.

admittedly, i'm not a big belgian fan. but I like interesting ingredients... I really wanted to be able to give this one an a+ based on concept alone, but it just falls a bit short. a bit sweet, a bit cloying, a bit muddled, and kind of murky. But still interesting and pretty damn drinkable given everything. I'll probably drink another one or two.

djeucalyptus, Jun 18, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

A: in glass its color appears dark brown, when held up to a light
it appears more maroon to ruby red. Head was about a finger thick didn't last too long but did leave a thin layer and a halo around the glass.

S: definitely different, my first sniff I instantly thought of mountain dew slurpee. Sweet fruit, lime, a swirl brings out more of a malt sweetness.

T: gladly the mountain dew that was in the aroma did not carry over to the taste. There is a bitter lime and lemon. Malt is sweet but the lime gives a refreshing "twang" that I've never experienced in a dubble. Aftertaste is a long lasting lime and slightly spicy.

M: seem a little bit lacking, could be a bit heavier, it could be the lime making it seem light but not too sure exactly if that's it.

O: uncommon, yes. Different, yes. Great, not really, more toward good. I would say at a minimum give this a try.

rootbeerman, Jun 11, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -24.2%

Picked up a 16 oz. can for $2.75, no canning date on the bottom. I wasn't terribly impressed by their Golden State Ale, but this is worse. Frankly it reminds me of failed homebrew.

I dont know, maybe this beer was kept in a hot warehouse for a month, or something went wrong between Santa Cruz and Pennsylvania, but I don't enjoy it. There's an odd grassy (not like hops) caramel taste. There's a hint of the kaffir lime that's added I can pull out of the aftertaste, but that's one of the few bright spots. Frankly this smells a bit like an Indian buffet with the coriander and lemongrass additions. I'm not sure what to make of this beer, but I don't want another can.

tempest, May 25, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My wife gave me a glass of this when I had no idea what it was. This is a blind taste review. Poured into a small wine glass.

Appearance- Cloudy dark copper appearance. Small white head that dissipates quickly. 3.5/5

Smell- Tart cherry aroma. Not much hop smell. Some malt aroma though out. 3.5/5

Taste- Tart cherry and malt. Not very hoppy, but very malty. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel- A little thick. Sweet and sticky. 4/5

Overall- Ok beer. A little thick and sweet. Not nessasarily my cup of tea. 3.5/5

MADhombrewer, May 02, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Thanks to lothore for dropping this into a recent marvelous box that barreled onto my front stoop. A new can, a new brewery. Always good. Bottom of the can states "packaged 12/7/09

Pours a full 16 oz. into my Free the Hops snifter, which takes it willingly. Very dark orange. Wildly spiced in the nose, must be the lemongrass, because it's unfamiliar.

Somebody tipped the spice rack into Siamese Twin Ale; I do believe that a chef could pick out dozens of undertones in this beer. But for all that it's aggressive for aggressive's sake. The spices run riot & it could be a dubbel, tripel, euro pale, Bud, or rum underneath. Not that it's bad; but the level of whack is heady. And a beer that I would have been happy to have in a 12 oz. can or bottle.

Really, a pretty good beer, it's just out of control, & bludgeons whatever the base beer is into a quaking, unset jelly. Nice effort; I'd rather brewers went too far than made another bland pale or IPA. I'd try another from them.

maximum12, Feb 23, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

16oz can poured into Bruery tulip.

It pours a nice amber color with lots of white-ish head, which settles to about a quarter inch.

The smell is somewhat harsh - herb, alcohol, and coriander. Maybe a hint of the lime/lemongrass.

Taste works pretty well overall. The coriander goes well with the lime and lemongrass. The lemongrass and lime give it a citrusy tang which is interesting next to the malty/dark fruit flavor of a dubbel.

Medium body - the alcohol isn't as evident as I expected based on the smell. Good carbonation.

ejyoung, Feb 18, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -20%

Tossed this into the pile when I was one short of a six of shit ciders I've yet to try. It's a hobby of mine. :)

Gouden Carolus goblet. No BB date, no rust, all good.

Sandy caked head, muddy orange/brown body. I upset some protein at the end. My bad.

Smell is a bit lemon wood polish, resiny DIPA, whiskey sour, & aloe. I sort of knew what was coming, but it's still a bit odd.

Upfront tang, bitter peel, heavy coriander. Too much coriander without a comparable malt base. Big herbal bitters. Malt is overshadowed. Bland yeasty middle. Subtly sweet rind & coriander on the finish. Bit of a metallic note. Ugly alcohol.

Frothy throughout. Though not harsh, it's distracting. It's beaded really well, but not what I need. Obvious ABV. It hurts.

I could of handled more lime I think. Not enough quality lime beers out there. Don't be shy.

PEBKAC, Jan 25, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into Bruery Tulip.

Pours out a deep murky golden color. Huge head emerges on this, half of the glass is foam. The head is bubbly and foamy and is white in color. The head seems to recede pretty quickly. No lacing is produced on the glass.

Lemon and lime are very apparent in the smell of this one. It really is an interesting smell as I don't think I've smelled a beer like this before (without adding a lemon or lime wedge). I'm not sure which I'm getting more, the lemon or the lime, but it's nice. Not getting a lot of coriander though.

The taste is a lot more of the Belgian flavor than the smell would let on (I didn't get much of any of smells I'd come to expect from Belgian beers). The lemon and lime really aren't too present in the flavor. There is a fruity ester that is present right before the beer is swallowed. Not tasting any alcohol on this one. I wish the lemon, coriander and lime were more pronounced in the taste.

The carbonation seems really high to me. It almost is distracting on the palate. I feel like foam is forming in my mouth with each sip, not really enjoyable. There is an estery taste that also lingers in the mouth after the beer is swallowed. Not the high point of the beer for me.

The drinkability of this one was alright. I mean I was able to finish it without a problem but the really high carbonation was really distracting from the taste of the beer. I'd like to try other beers from Uncommon but I'll probably pass on this one.

EDIT: While cleaning out the can I noticed the packaged on sticker on the bottom of the can saying it was packaged on 3/19/2010. This would make it 10 months old tomorrow. Not sure I would have bought it had I noticed that when buying it.

Swimsum, Jan 19, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

This is so far the strangest sounding beer I have ever tasted. I read the label and had to pick it up to try. I am glad I did.

It pours a cloudy brown with hints of red and orange. It looks amazing!

With all of the amazing ingredients in this brew, I would have expected a stronger scent to enjoy them, but I was a bit disappointed. You get hints of malt, citrus and coriander.

At first I wasn't a fan of the taste. I didn't know what to expect based on the description, but after a few more sips I began to taste all of the different ingredients and really started to enjoy it! It definitely grew on me. I can taste the dubbel base, but the "uncommon" ingredients come out well.

Overall, this drinks smoothly and tastes pretty good. It isn't something I would want every day, but I would have it again.

VWBuggirl, Dec 19, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Darker than expected, and very cloudy; a solid brick red-cinnamon, with very little head to speak of. Not particularly nice for a dubbel. The aroma is intriguing, appropriately fruity and tinged with Thai spices; the fusion seems to work, at least in the nose. Lychee sweetness and delicate malty notes of muscovado sugar and honey combine with banana and bubblegum yeast to create a nice foundation for the kaffir lime, lemongrass, and coriander. There is a hint of orange soda in there as well. The flavor is subtle and quite tasty, more Belgian than Thai, but that's probably a good thing; the coriander accentuates the earthy spiciness of the yeast, while the kaffir lime and lemongrass wed nicely to the natural fruity and citric flavors from the hops. A bit thin overall, stronger than it needs to be, and a bit vague - but in general a successful and tasty experiment.

soulgrowl, Dec 14, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +5%

16 oz can poured into large snifter glass. thanks to mrmiles for this during the Nice Cans II BIF

Pours a hazed burnt orange with an insane head (three fingers high at least) which threatens to slowly bubble over the rim of the glass. Retains almost too well with boatloads of puffy lacing all over the place.

Touches of herbs and spices in the nose, along with a bit of pleasant funk, lemongrass, and fruit sweetness.

Begins with some dark fruit sweetness (dates or figs), which quickly mixes with lime, citrus zest, and lemongrass. The citrus is curious but somehow pleasant, combining with some herbal spiciness and yeasty funk. A bit of caramel dark malt flavor moves in towards the finish, along with a splash of sweetness, tang, and a slight hint of warmth at the end.

Medium bodied, creamy, mid level carbonation, a little dryness. Pretty smooth drinking, and the flavors all seem to work fairly well despite my initial skepticism, although it was a little sweet towards the end. This is definitely an uncommon beer.

xnicknj, Nov 05, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Served on tap poured into a taster glass at the Bay Area Craft Beer Fest. Poured slightly hazy brown with some streaks of orange when held up to the light. Good carbonation visible on the sides of the glass to feed an initial two fingers of fluffy head.

Nose was a little weaker than I'd like from a Belgian style ale that had such a nice initial head. Temperature was fine for the beer, but it was only a feint dried figs, citrus (probably from the lemongrass), and brown sugar.

Taste follows the nose early on the tongue, with the citrus elements from the Thai spices helping to keep the typical dubbel flavors of fig and candy sugar interesting. Good malty backbone helps keep the spices in check.

Roughly medium bodied beer hid its alcohol nicely to make the beer nicely drinkable.

nataku00, Oct 24, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

Shared from a generous trader in the Nice Cans II BIF - thanks!
Poured into a snifter.

A - deep caramel color with nice 1-inch white head and nice lacing.

S - citrus, orange, coriander, bread, wheat grass.

T - semi-sweet fruit upfront, a slight lemony tartness on the back of the palate.

M - outstanding! Very smooth, perfectly carbonated, feels wonderful on the palate from start to finish.

D - really damn good beer and not a trace of alcohol. The only thing that might prevent me from having more than one or two in a row is the fruity sweetness - it may get to be too much. However, the one (and only) I have is going to be very much enjoyed.

GabrielM, Oct 17, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 16 oz can into my Zatec fluted glass. Light brown/amber color with about 3 fingers of foamy, light brown, very quickly dissipating head. Smells like Belgian yeast, maybe some spice and chocolate. Taste, and here's where it gets weird, definitely a sourish lemony something, spice, a medium light hop bitterness, and I don't know what. I guess probably the Kaffir lime puckering my mouth. Nice light crisp bubbles. Very drinkable for 8.5%, but then, I don't think I could drink another. I very much like how different this is, but I don't know if I actually like it. Get back to you on that one.

WestValleyIPA, Sep 25, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Reddish-caramel color. Nice fluffy foamy white head. Aroma has strong elements of lime & citrus, along with the more traditional Belgian-y aspects.
There is a somewhat strong malt presence that, while providing a nice chewy mouthfeel, just doesn't fit in all that well with the lime & corriander flavors.

This was an interesting beer, but for me the flavors just did not work all that well together. Probably not something I would seek out again, but glad I was able to try it.

thetomG, Aug 30, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured to a Chimay goblet from a 16 oz. can (sticker on the bottom: Packaged 5/12/10); picked this up at Bailey's Taproom in early July after trying it twice at NAOBF in June.

'Ale brewed with Kaffir lime leaves, Lemongrass, and Coriander'. A lengthy label sidebar better explains the conjoining of a more traditional Belgian style with the spicing/flavors of Thailand.

A: Simply put, one of the prettiest dubbels I've seen: deep ruby/garnet, excellent clarity at first (when held to light, otherwise a browner drabness) showcasing a cascade of small carbonation. Later, when nearing the bottom of the can, an unfiltered haze takes over. Not a tall head, but certainly a long-lived one: this 1/2" lid of ivory cream sat unmoving for the better part of ten minutes.

S: Very mellow: a fleeting graininess that hints at cocoa powder, a dusting of ground spice (coriander and a light pepper) and the odd introduction of tropical lime (just a squeeze).

T: Marry a decent abbey/dubbel (husky grain, ample coriander/spice, fruity sweetness) with the grassy/floral nature of Thai spicing and tart pithiness of citrus leaves...well that's what you got. Talk about 'uncommon': who mixed my cocoa with lemongrass? The abruptness with which the 'Belgian' stylings end and the other half of this set of twins takes over is fairly pronounced. Plenty flavorful, a finish that's more 'dirty' and bitter than expected, but the longer-lasting profile highlights 'citrus'. An enigma.

M: Creamy, velvety smoothness...a spiced zestiness without as much as a pinprick of harshness. A little warming glow creeping in at the finish, so the 8.5% isn't altogether hidden, but a pleasant medium-bodied feel. A yeasty coating/finish.

D: Hmmm...I'm a fan of 'curious' beers, ones where brewers push boundaries and craft originality in whatever they brew. This one has successes and shortcomings; while I think the introduction of Asian ingredients is an intriguing concept, they twist the dubbel that I know and enjoy in a way that I don't think I need to have again. A try or two is fine, but ultimately I'm not sold on the repeated drinkability of this experiment.

msubulldog25, Aug 26, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

This can was sent by the great msubulldog25, a man whose generosity knows no bounds. Thanks Brian! (And cheers to Chang & Eng)

Wowza, this thing is a beaut: over an inch of dirty white head, fluffy, firm and long-lasting. The color is a caramel-esque brown, veering toward milk chocolate but never quite getting that dark. About as interesting-looking as the label description of the ingredients (Belgian dubbel brewed with kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass and coriander).

Coriander, lemon and lime are detected in the aroma, but they're subtle...actually everything else about the aroma is subtle. The sweet caramel/toffee-like malt is there but hanging far back, as is that tell-tale Belgian yeast character (not sure they actually brewed with a Belgian yeast strain). Not bad, but doesn't leave much of an impression. Despite the exotic elements, it's a tame smell.

The flavor is about as strange as the description on the label. I just couldn't reconcile Belgian dubble meets lime leaves and lemongrass in my mind. Still can't now that it's on my tongue. Not saying it's bad, but...I guess "interesting" would be my best description of the flavor. Things are spicy and almost minty, with the coriander, lime and lemongrass working together as they do, as if you accidentally dropped some toothpaste into your glass of Belgian brown ale. The sweeter, candy-like characteristics of the malt "pop" thanks to these unusual ingredients. Intense herbal-ness and exotic spiciness are just barely kept in check by brown bread, caramel/toffee and earthy yeast dirtiness.

How much alcohol is in here? 8.5%? I wouldn't have known, as there's little to no alcohol flare, and the oddity of the flavor distracts from even thinking about alcohol content and its contribution to flavor. Finishes a little bit dry, even somewhat tart.

Feels smooth and slick, round and silky, gently carbonated; plenty of presence in the mouth. Just about right for the style.

Uncommon? Oh hell yeah. Just not as enjoyable as I'd hoped. But it did start growing on me, and with warming things began coalescing a little better. Still, every now and then my palate was rocked by the odd ingredients, just as I was starting to decipher and "feel" the dubbel-ness of this thing. Ultimately, even though I might never crave another, it's hard to dislike when I know I'll remember the flavor forever...there's no other beer out there like this one, as far as I know.

Metalmonk, Aug 02, 2010
2.71/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Thanks again to Tyler for grabbing this one for me. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a slightly cloudy version the reddish-brown color typical of the style. The aroma was a combination of the malty sweetness of the style and the different than usual spices added to this one.

On the tongue the spices pop across the tongue in an unexpected manner and linger with the malt and yeast at the back of the tongue. The body was on the thin side of average for the style. Drinkability will depend on your taste for the spices, personally, I probably wouldn't have more than a couple in a row. This is a unique take on the style, worth trying.

Edit 2/19/13: Had this again, not sure why it's listed here as Dubbel, but whatevs. I found the blend of flavors and spices here to really be a weird mess. The body had a sharp, harsh bite at the back. It wasn't an easy beer to drink, I suggest avoiding this one.

beertunes, Jul 05, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

A gift from my friend Marty. Another canned beer, and one that I had never heard of. Pouring this one into a pint glass results in a cloudy orange-brown pour, with merely a suggestion of light tan foam. An interesting nose on this one, though not unexpected after reading the can; lemon, lime, Belgian spices. On the palate, I get a little of that citrus, along with yeast, bready malt and some caramel. A unique and interesting beer.

emmasdad, Jun 02, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Chock up another winner for craft beer in cans. This is one interesting beer!

A: deep amber to brown with a white fluffy head. Tons of foam when I opened the can, maybe it was the elevation (I was up in the mountains) or maybe it's the style, but the foam would not stop! I had to rapidly pour it into a glass to avoid it getting all over the place.

S. Super heavy on the lime, bready malt and yeast.

T: crist and refreshing, a doughy, bready malt base, syrupy sweet with a nice citrus burst from the use of the lime leaves that balances the sweetness nicely. After two of these it became aparent that the lime is just too strong, and the malt too syrupy sweet to make this a session beer.

M: light carbonation and slightly syrupy.

D: refreshing yes, but not the most drinkable beer due to the strong flavors and syrupy finish. I would drink it again if I wanted a nice flavorful hot weather sipper.

loving44, May 30, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a dark copper with a foamy tan head. Smell of belgian yeast, bread, dough, spices, lemon, and a sweet aroma.

Taste of strong belgian yeast, Lime is pretty strong on a level by itself. I would say Kaffir lime is strangely similar to a chemical lime I have tasted in the past although just entirely coincidental. Medium to thick mouthfeel with a relatively light carbonation. Coriander and Lemongrass also make this a little bit of a sipper. The flavors go together well and would probably be tasty even on a hot day although I usually do not think of a Dubbel as a brew I would be sipping out on a beach etc. Maybe I should?

alpinebryant, May 28, 2010