Siamese Twin Ale - Uncommon Brewers

Siamese Twin AleSiamese Twin Ale

good

Uncommon Brewers visit their website

Dubbel |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: illidurit on 07-26-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Siamese Twin Ale Alström Bros

3.13/5  rDev -13.1%

Randomly picked up this 16oz can on a whim without knowing anything about this one...poured into an Allagash stemmed glass.

A - Pours a very clear, brownish mahogany capped with two fingers of foamy head that dies away to leave behind a bit of webby lacing on the glass.

S - Malty sweet on the nose, soft caramel, candy sugar, bread, light roasted malt and limes which end up dominating the aroma for me after I initially couldn't detect it on first pour. Definitely different, perhaps a bit weird but not necessarily in a bad way.

T - The aroma carries through right to the flavor. Alcohol is rather noticeable and warm. Lots of malt to dominate this one - bready, sweet and sugary, low hop bitterness, light roast, biscuits, some spices and the can't be missed limes...rather strange.

M - Thinnish end of medium bodied...carbonation is rather light. Mid-level alcohol warmth (more than I expected).

O - Not my favorite style and definitely not my favorite example of it. Had higher hopes for this, but the mix of spices and limes in a dubbel really didn't work well for me. Wasn't entirely unpleasant, just a bit too weird for my tastes. I think the lime is an interesting idea, but one that would play better in a lighter style.

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 16oz. can into a wine goblet.
Dark copper/reddish in color, with a short head of tan foam.
Aroma-Sharp whiff of malt, lime and coriander. Interesting.
Taste-Big initial blast of malt, then lime and coriander come to the forefront. Very drinkable, as alcohol is well-hidden by the exotic mix of flavors.
Overall a very unusual and interesting take on a Belgian dubbel.

1.9/5  rDev -47.2%

A - Cloudy golden copper color with lots of reds. Head is aggressive yellow foam. None of the lacing the Bros spoke of in their review...

S - Very vinegar... *-) Interesting. A definite miss on the scent.

T - Hum. Don't quite know what to think... Very piney. Lots of off flavor... Maybe this brew has some bugs??? Lots of weird citrus things going on.

M - Dry, super bitter and unpleasing. Lots of big heat flavor.

O - Not my favorite brew. Could easily end in the drain.... :( I really wanted to like this brew.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

16 oz tin from "Lifesource", Salem. $2.95 Bad pour out of the can.huge uncontrollable light tan head...wait a few minutes.When it semi-calms the beer is a nice havy dark amber. Aromas..nice sicy/toasty,bubblegum and coriander.Pleasing Taste is a little maltier but similar to the aroma..slight lemongrass finish and waming plum pudding alcohol. Nice on the palate..liked the carbonation. Nice beer a bit of a surprise.

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #52 (May 2011):

Canned extreme beer, hell yeah! Dark ruby color, lacing is as good as it gets. Mouthwatering aroma, the lime leaves and lemongrass along with the malt sweetness make for one of the best-smelling beers we’ve seen in a long time. Brawny like a Dubbel, with a hint of broth, which quickly moves to showcase spices of lime leaves and lemongrass; coriander plays second fiddle. Tart bite from the spicing melds well with the malt base. Alcohol jumps on the palate with a sooth- ing warmth. There is a lot of unusual flavor not only for a beer, but for the style; however, it really works here. The result is a very interesting and very drinkable beer. Sometimes it pays to go out on a limb.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

16 ounce can, date stamped on can of 06/06/2011 (don't know if that's the canned on or best buy date). Served in a St. Bernardus chalice, the beer pours a cloudy reddish/brown color with almost a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both average. Aroma is sweet and spicy, the brew smells like caramel malt, lime, brown sugar, dark fruit and some lemongrass. It tastes like caramel and bready malt, lemongrass, lime, coriander, herbs, and a bit of dark fruit. There's also a lingering bittersweet finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit sticky with moderate carbonation. I think this is an interesting brew, I liked it. It's worth a try.

2.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured slowly into a Bruery tulip. This beer is a muddy brown and seems to be quite thick. The smell when I opened the can was a bit worrying. I got a whiff of rusty metal and old beer. Upon properly smelling the beer I get definite hints of ginger and lemongrass mixed with the sweet and alcohol qualities of a dubbel. None of the smells stand out though and if I were to blind taste this beer I would be wary of how it tasted after smelling it.

Not much to taste on the front but after that the beer washes over your mouth coating it with a bitter sweetness with perhaps just a bit of ginger spiciness. Aftertaste is plain and malty. I taste absolutely no Belgian yeast in this.

I'm pretty disappointed in this beer. I was excited when I found a store selling single cans of it because I was unwilling to buy a 4-pack of it where I normally buy all my beer.

2.73/5  rDev -24.2%

This Emperor is not wearing any clothes, and I'm not afraid to say it. This is not a Dubbel, sorry.

Pours with a decent off white head over a deep amber body, with plenty of carbonation flowing up when held to the light.

Aromas are initially of lemongrass and lime, and as it warmed I picked up dark fruits and spices, with a touch of caramel.

Flavors are tart and tangy. Lots of lime, mint, and herbal / grassiness, with just a bit of coriander - quite different from the latter-stage aromas. Nothing rich or dark fruity about this - it's all citrus. Sort of like a gin and tonic with a sprig of mint and drop of caramel.

Mouthfeel is pretty sharp and thin. Nothing like the style should be (assuming they were going for this).

Unique and "uncommon" indeed. I give them credit for an original brew, but this is not something I would choose to buy again.

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

pours a rich golden red murky hue with a two-finger ruddy-tan head that fades quickly and leaves fair lacing.

aroma of sugar, maple syrup, ginger and green apple. a hint of yeastiness and a touch of lemon (lemongrass?)

mouth is sweet. fruity, tart, yeasty. lemon or maybe lemongrass and some interesting citrus. my mind wants me to think this is going funky, but the addition of lime and lemongrass to a dubbel would do this. interesting.

mouth is full, slick, a bit sticky, with light but somehow prickly carbonation. it kind of works for the flavors, although it's right on the edge of cloying.

admittedly, i'm not a big belgian fan. but I like interesting ingredients... I really wanted to be able to give this one an a+ based on concept alone, but it just falls a bit short. a bit sweet, a bit cloying, a bit muddled, and kind of murky. But still interesting and pretty damn drinkable given everything. I'll probably drink another one or two.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

A: in glass its color appears dark brown, when held up to a light
it appears more maroon to ruby red. Head was about a finger thick didn't last too long but did leave a thin layer and a halo around the glass.

S: definitely different, my first sniff I instantly thought of mountain dew slurpee. Sweet fruit, lime, a swirl brings out more of a malt sweetness.

T: gladly the mountain dew that was in the aroma did not carry over to the taste. There is a bitter lime and lemon. Malt is sweet but the lime gives a refreshing "twang" that I've never experienced in a dubble. Aftertaste is a long lasting lime and slightly spicy.

M: seem a little bit lacking, could be a bit heavier, it could be the lime making it seem light but not too sure exactly if that's it.

O: uncommon, yes. Different, yes. Great, not really, more toward good. I would say at a minimum give this a try.

2.73/5  rDev -24.2%

Picked up a 16 oz. can for $2.75, no canning date on the bottom. I wasn't terribly impressed by their Golden State Ale, but this is worse. Frankly it reminds me of failed homebrew.

I dont know, maybe this beer was kept in a hot warehouse for a month, or something went wrong between Santa Cruz and Pennsylvania, but I don't enjoy it. There's an odd grassy (not like hops) caramel taste. There's a hint of the kaffir lime that's added I can pull out of the aftertaste, but that's one of the few bright spots. Frankly this smells a bit like an Indian buffet with the coriander and lemongrass additions. I'm not sure what to make of this beer, but I don't want another can.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My wife gave me a glass of this when I had no idea what it was. This is a blind taste review. Poured into a small wine glass.

Appearance- Cloudy dark copper appearance. Small white head that dissipates quickly. 3.5/5

Smell- Tart cherry aroma. Not much hop smell. Some malt aroma though out. 3.5/5

Taste- Tart cherry and malt. Not very hoppy, but very malty. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel- A little thick. Sweet and sticky. 4/5

Overall- Ok beer. A little thick and sweet. Not nessasarily my cup of tea. 3.5/5

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Thanks to lothore for dropping this into a recent marvelous box that barreled onto my front stoop. A new can, a new brewery. Always good. Bottom of the can states "packaged 12/7/09

Pours a full 16 oz. into my Free the Hops snifter, which takes it willingly. Very dark orange. Wildly spiced in the nose, must be the lemongrass, because it's unfamiliar.

Somebody tipped the spice rack into Siamese Twin Ale; I do believe that a chef could pick out dozens of undertones in this beer. But for all that it's aggressive for aggressive's sake. The spices run riot & it could be a dubbel, tripel, euro pale, Bud, or rum underneath. Not that it's bad; but the level of whack is heady. And a beer that I would have been happy to have in a 12 oz. can or bottle.

Really, a pretty good beer, it's just out of control, & bludgeons whatever the base beer is into a quaking, unset jelly. Nice effort; I'd rather brewers went too far than made another bland pale or IPA. I'd try another from them.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

16oz can poured into Bruery tulip.

It pours a nice amber color with lots of white-ish head, which settles to about a quarter inch.

The smell is somewhat harsh - herb, alcohol, and coriander. Maybe a hint of the lime/lemongrass.

Taste works pretty well overall. The coriander goes well with the lime and lemongrass. The lemongrass and lime give it a citrusy tang which is interesting next to the malty/dark fruit flavor of a dubbel.

Medium body - the alcohol isn't as evident as I expected based on the smell. Good carbonation.

2.88/5  rDev -20%

Tossed this into the pile when I was one short of a six of shit ciders I've yet to try. It's a hobby of mine. :)

Gouden Carolus goblet. No BB date, no rust, all good.

Sandy caked head, muddy orange/brown body. I upset some protein at the end. My bad.

Smell is a bit lemon wood polish, resiny DIPA, whiskey sour, & aloe. I sort of knew what was coming, but it's still a bit odd.

Upfront tang, bitter peel, heavy coriander. Too much coriander without a comparable malt base. Big herbal bitters. Malt is overshadowed. Bland yeasty middle. Subtly sweet rind & coriander on the finish. Bit of a metallic note. Ugly alcohol.

Frothy throughout. Though not harsh, it's distracting. It's beaded really well, but not what I need. Obvious ABV. It hurts.

I could of handled more lime I think. Not enough quality lime beers out there. Don't be shy.

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into Bruery Tulip.

Pours out a deep murky golden color. Huge head emerges on this, half of the glass is foam. The head is bubbly and foamy and is white in color. The head seems to recede pretty quickly. No lacing is produced on the glass.

Lemon and lime are very apparent in the smell of this one. It really is an interesting smell as I don't think I've smelled a beer like this before (without adding a lemon or lime wedge). I'm not sure which I'm getting more, the lemon or the lime, but it's nice. Not getting a lot of coriander though.

The taste is a lot more of the Belgian flavor than the smell would let on (I didn't get much of any of smells I'd come to expect from Belgian beers). The lemon and lime really aren't too present in the flavor. There is a fruity ester that is present right before the beer is swallowed. Not tasting any alcohol on this one. I wish the lemon, coriander and lime were more pronounced in the taste.

The carbonation seems really high to me. It almost is distracting on the palate. I feel like foam is forming in my mouth with each sip, not really enjoyable. There is an estery taste that also lingers in the mouth after the beer is swallowed. Not the high point of the beer for me.

The drinkability of this one was alright. I mean I was able to finish it without a problem but the really high carbonation was really distracting from the taste of the beer. I'd like to try other beers from Uncommon but I'll probably pass on this one.

EDIT: While cleaning out the can I noticed the packaged on sticker on the bottom of the can saying it was packaged on 3/19/2010. This would make it 10 months old tomorrow. Not sure I would have bought it had I noticed that when buying it.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

This is so far the strangest sounding beer I have ever tasted. I read the label and had to pick it up to try. I am glad I did.

It pours a cloudy brown with hints of red and orange. It looks amazing!

With all of the amazing ingredients in this brew, I would have expected a stronger scent to enjoy them, but I was a bit disappointed. You get hints of malt, citrus and coriander.

At first I wasn't a fan of the taste. I didn't know what to expect based on the description, but after a few more sips I began to taste all of the different ingredients and really started to enjoy it! It definitely grew on me. I can taste the dubbel base, but the "uncommon" ingredients come out well.

Overall, this drinks smoothly and tastes pretty good. It isn't something I would want every day, but I would have it again.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Darker than expected, and very cloudy; a solid brick red-cinnamon, with very little head to speak of. Not particularly nice for a dubbel. The aroma is intriguing, appropriately fruity and tinged with Thai spices; the fusion seems to work, at least in the nose. Lychee sweetness and delicate malty notes of muscovado sugar and honey combine with banana and bubblegum yeast to create a nice foundation for the kaffir lime, lemongrass, and coriander. There is a hint of orange soda in there as well. The flavor is subtle and quite tasty, more Belgian than Thai, but that's probably a good thing; the coriander accentuates the earthy spiciness of the yeast, while the kaffir lime and lemongrass wed nicely to the natural fruity and citric flavors from the hops. A bit thin overall, stronger than it needs to be, and a bit vague - but in general a successful and tasty experiment.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

16 oz can poured into large snifter glass. thanks to mrmiles for this during the Nice Cans II BIF

Pours a hazed burnt orange with an insane head (three fingers high at least) which threatens to slowly bubble over the rim of the glass. Retains almost too well with boatloads of puffy lacing all over the place.

Touches of herbs and spices in the nose, along with a bit of pleasant funk, lemongrass, and fruit sweetness.

Begins with some dark fruit sweetness (dates or figs), which quickly mixes with lime, citrus zest, and lemongrass. The citrus is curious but somehow pleasant, combining with some herbal spiciness and yeasty funk. A bit of caramel dark malt flavor moves in towards the finish, along with a splash of sweetness, tang, and a slight hint of warmth at the end.

Medium bodied, creamy, mid level carbonation, a little dryness. Pretty smooth drinking, and the flavors all seem to work fairly well despite my initial skepticism, although it was a little sweet towards the end. This is definitely an uncommon beer.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

Served on tap poured into a taster glass at the Bay Area Craft Beer Fest. Poured slightly hazy brown with some streaks of orange when held up to the light. Good carbonation visible on the sides of the glass to feed an initial two fingers of fluffy head.

Nose was a little weaker than I'd like from a Belgian style ale that had such a nice initial head. Temperature was fine for the beer, but it was only a feint dried figs, citrus (probably from the lemongrass), and brown sugar.

Taste follows the nose early on the tongue, with the citrus elements from the Thai spices helping to keep the typical dubbel flavors of fig and candy sugar interesting. Good malty backbone helps keep the spices in check.

Roughly medium bodied beer hid its alcohol nicely to make the beer nicely drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

Shared from a generous trader in the Nice Cans II BIF - thanks!
Poured into a snifter.

A - deep caramel color with nice 1-inch white head and nice lacing.

S - citrus, orange, coriander, bread, wheat grass.

T - semi-sweet fruit upfront, a slight lemony tartness on the back of the palate.

M - outstanding! Very smooth, perfectly carbonated, feels wonderful on the palate from start to finish.

D - really damn good beer and not a trace of alcohol. The only thing that might prevent me from having more than one or two in a row is the fruity sweetness - it may get to be too much. However, the one (and only) I have is going to be very much enjoyed.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 16 oz can into my Zatec fluted glass. Light brown/amber color with about 3 fingers of foamy, light brown, very quickly dissipating head. Smells like Belgian yeast, maybe some spice and chocolate. Taste, and here's where it gets weird, definitely a sourish lemony something, spice, a medium light hop bitterness, and I don't know what. I guess probably the Kaffir lime puckering my mouth. Nice light crisp bubbles. Very drinkable for 8.5%, but then, I don't think I could drink another. I very much like how different this is, but I don't know if I actually like it. Get back to you on that one.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Reddish-caramel color. Nice fluffy foamy white head. Aroma has strong elements of lime & citrus, along with the more traditional Belgian-y aspects.
There is a somewhat strong malt presence that, while providing a nice chewy mouthfeel, just doesn't fit in all that well with the lime & corriander flavors.

This was an interesting beer, but for me the flavors just did not work all that well together. Probably not something I would seek out again, but glad I was able to try it.

Siamese Twin Ale from Uncommon Brewers