Bacon Brown Ale - Uncommon Brewers

Bacon Brown AleBacon Brown Ale

Uncommon Brewers visit their website

American Brown Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: illidurit on 02-12-2010)
4.5/5  rDev +45.6%

bernat1971, Jan 17, 2014
4.3/5  rDev +39.2%

The CANQuest (TM) has been in hiatus for far too long! It is time for me to get Crackin' & Gluggin' again, posthaste. This beauty was scored recently at The Fridge in Lancaster and I love that something like this is certified "Organic", so much so that I opened one for a vegetarian friend of mine. Does this mean that I will eventually be consigned to Hell?

From the CAN: "Uncommon beer for uncommon people" - that puts me in mind of Adam Ant's "Ant Music for Ant People" and the later compilation, "Rat Music for Rat People"; "Uncommon Brewers - In 2002, we set out to discover the forgotten potential of an ancient beverage all too often taken for granted. Uncommon Brewers was born out of that exploration. Our products are sourced whenever possible from local farms and growers. Some are even harvested by hand from the hills of Northern California."; "It's a simple fact of life: bacon makes everything better. From eggs to ice cream, delicious bacon is turning up just about everywhere. Our uncommon [CAN]tribution to this cured pork renaissance is the Bacon Brown Ale. This is a West Coast Nut Brown Ale brewed with toasted buckwheat and a generous serving of bacon-cured pork."; "Ale brewed with Buckwheat and Bacon"; "This uncommon beer was brewed to be enjoyed fresh. Store in a cool place and enjoy soon."

No place cooler than my reefer! And so we begin with a Crack 'n' Glug, a sound not heard 'round these parts for some time. I had to move fast as some began to burble out of the aperture as soon as I had it open. This resulted in a massive two-plus fingers of deep-tan head with reasonable retention. It began to leave behind some nice sticky lacing as it fell. Color was a deep brown with ruby/garnet highlights. Nose was malty sweet and there was no question that it was a brown ale, but where's the bacon?!? Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and I got a maple sweetness infused with minty hops on the tongue, but I still was not feeling the bacon. Finish was more hoppy than sweet and while I am not (necessarily) complaining, it seemed like a waste of hops. Rest easy, I rail against Black/Cascadian IPAs also. I poured the remainder of the CAN, hoping that, like a secret surprise in a box of Cracker Jacks, I would find a piece of bacon at the bottom. No soap, or bacon, either. No wonder my vegetarian friend didn't balk ... I think that I am still going to Hell, though. It is too bad that we CANnot rate on truth in advertising because this deserves a low score. MORE bacon is needed!

woodychandler, Apr 26, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +37.5%

msondel, Jan 16, 2013

GoGators, Feb 18, 2012

drewone, Dec 07, 2013

BFro, Mar 17, 2012

Pretty decent brown ale that is full bodied and fairly hoppy but not really too bacony. I got a bit of smokiness on the finish but I wouldn't know about the bacon unless I read the can. The buckwheat is not too apparent as well but I applaud the alternative grain use. Fun beer that is a decent brown ale.

canucklehead, Jan 03, 2013

OBeerMeGreatOne, Mar 01, 2013

AutumnBeerLove, Feb 13, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +28.8%

Nothing burps better than bacon! (movie line)

Nice looking beer. Nice nose on it too. Seems kind of oily and deep. Flavor is hearty. Nicely robust. Slightly sweet in a brown ale kind of way.

To be frank, I was ready to write this brewery off after all their other offerings just fell way too short for me. But this one works pretty well for me. I bit too thick on the feel and flavor and the carbonation could be toned down; but that's just me being picky.

RblWthACoz, Apr 14, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +25.6%

Pour – fills the glass with a deep, dark, chestnut color. A very rich brown with a nice fluffy off-white head on top. Great looking pour coming out of the can.

Aroma – fairly sweet with a toasted brown bread and doughy aroma along with some slight hints of smokiness as well as dark fruits like red grapes, plums and ripe apples.

Taste – the first sip is a definite mix of flavors. Plenty of those fruit flavors come into play at first, its sweet and malty but in the end there is a lingering smokiness. This is a beer that you'll want to sip many times and let warm up to really allow for the flavors to come out. As my glass warms the flavor profile shifts and the smokiness of the bacon begins to manifest itself slowly and surely. Wow, is this good. Not over the top smokey which is key. You don't want to drink this too quick or too cold or you're liable to miss out on the main attraction.

Overall - I'm a big supporter of brewers doing what they want to do and Alec at Uncommon Brewers is a great example of this. His Bacon Brown Ale is an altogether unique and "uncommon" ale with an ingrediant that many of us never thought they'd find in their beer - but it works. The smokey undertones of bacon in this brown ale really work well and to the unassuming imbiber they might not even realize there is bacon in their beer - organic bacon at that! Cheers Alec! Keep on being uncommon!

indiapaleale, May 05, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

473ml can. I am not an adherent of the 'bacon makes everything better' camp. Bacon is just fine all by itself.

This beer pours a crystal clear, dark brassy amber hue, with three pudgy fingers of teeming, foamy, and yet still densely caked beige head, which leaves some random droopy cloud lace around the glass as it slowly sinks away.

It smells of toasted grainy malt, and a rather biscuity one at that, a dry oily nuttiness, wet ash, a musty, vegetal character, some faint fruit salad sweetness, and flat earthy hops. The taste is lightly roasted caramel malt, somewhat pithy, weedy grain, semi-sweet generic nut butter, a certain sense of umami, that could be meaty, but I'm not wholly convinced, with a very subtle fruity, leafy hoppiness. The 6.8% alcohol is deftly integrated, not a trace is overtly perceptible.

The carbonation is pretty laid-back, a wee bit frothy, and duly supportive, the body a decent medium weight, with a late-arriving metallic edge taking its pound of flesh out of the overall smoothness. It finishes off-dry, the nutty caramel malt reasserting itself, as the vegetal and fruity notes diminish without fading, amongst a softly lingering ashy bitterness.

Judged solely on its glass-borne merits, this is an agreeable brown ale - toasted biscuits, caramel, nuts, and a fairly reserved hoppiness. However, in terms of the proclaimed guest ingredients (and especially the one that made into the name), if their mention weren't so splattered all over the label, I wouldn't have noticed them in the beer. Wait, I didn't - ok, maybe the buckwheat, but that was tenuous at best.

biboergosum, Mar 22, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +21.4%

JohnK17, May 10, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +21.4%

wl0307, Feb 25, 2014
3.73/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear oaky brown. Thin whispy head.

S: MMmmm, yum! Malty mostly. Slight alcohol. Slim Jim. Wheat bread. A BLT sandwich. Doughy.

T: No bacon really. Very malty, slight smoke, and slight slight salt. Slight hops.

M: Way too thin. For a bacon beer, it should be thick and greasy and oily. Good coat on the tongue.

O: A little disappointed in the bacon part of the brew. But not a bad brown ale.

NEED MORE BACON!!!

gkatsoris, Apr 08, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +19.1%

On tap at 515 in Santa Cruz. Brooklyn is getting a ton of hype over their bacon beer and I've heard Cigar City is not far behind, but this is the first one out that I know of. This is also made with organic buckwheat. Sample size glass as part of a flight. Very light in color for a brown ale, actually closer to a hazy orangish gold. Nice off-white froth leaving some lacing. Aroma is lightly smokey with a citric tinge, again not very 'brown.' Flavor is citric with a hint of nuttiness (buckwheat). The bacon comes through during the finish as a smokey ashy note, sort of like the aftertaste of bacon rather than the de facto taste of bacon. Light bodied and maybe a bit thin, I would say this beer comes up short of its potential but it's still a cool concept and another solid offering in the Uncommon lineup.

illidurit, Feb 12, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +18.1%

Drank on 04/25/10
Poured on-tap into a pint glass

Was looking at the tap list an Beachwood BBQ today and saw this interesting looking beer. I had been thinking about doing a homebrew with bacon, so I would though I'd give this bacon beer a try.

A - It was poured for me, and it had a medium brown hue with some light amber tinting to it in the light. It had a small light beige head to it with minimal lacing when I drank it.

S - The smell was quite pleasant. It had a faint bacon/smoky smell to it, along with some sweetness. It also had a bit of malty/buckwheat smell to it. None of the smells were very strong but they were pleasant.

T - The taste was a bit disappointing there was more bacon flavor in the smell rather than the taste. Has a sweeter maltier taste at the beginning and then has a bit more bitterness with the hops in the middle and finishes with a light smokey/maybe a tiny bit of bacon flavor at the end. The flavor isn't as toasty as your standard brown, it is much more subdued in that way. Flavor wasn't bad at all, I guess I was just hoping for a bit more of the salty stronger bacon flavor.

M - The mouthfeel was nice it was light with the right amount of carbonation. Not much so say about that except it felt nice when I was drinking it, and it went well with the style

D - Overall it was a decent beer that went well with the BBQ I was having this afternoon. Beer tasted just fine, but I don't think I would have it again unless they modified the recipe a bit, then I would try it for comparison.

This beer tasted fine, and was good in many other respects but I just don't see it as a beer I would have more then once without a few changes.

Krevee, Apr 26, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +18.1%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a medium brown with a nice off-white head, good retention.

S: Quite hoppy with a lot of pine, citrus, light smoke.

T: Intriguing for sure. Dark malt, with a gamey, meaty flavour. It didn't really taste like bacon, but it was there in the background. Still quite hoppy as with the nose.

M: Medium-bodied, soft/medium carbontion, quite smooth on the tongue.

D: If you can say one thing about the Uncommon brewers is that they're interesting. Nothing I've had from them has tasted like anything I've had before.

Halcyondays, Apr 27, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a russet coppery amber with a two finger cream colored head that dissipates slowly, leaving lots of lacing. Aroma dominated by sweet bready malt, light nuts and a faint boiled vegetable component; hint of brown sugar. Flavor is muted toasted and bready malt, lightly nutty with a somewhat astringent bitterness that may or may not have been hops. Finishes with mild bitterness, dark bread and brown bready malt. Medium bodied. Hmm, different, but subdued and not very interesting. Flavors are pleasant enough, but not balanced or interesting. No bacon is evident. I finished the glass without regret, but his is a one-and-done. An uncommon beer indeed.

LiquidAmber, May 06, 2013
3.58/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a 16oz can into 3 glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn & HollyAnn for the assist!

Canned 02/22/2012

A: Pours a deep ruby brown. One finger of light brown head forms on top and leaves quite a bit of lace in the glass.

S: Interesting aroma. Slightly sweet grain...or cocoa. Not too much roast or bacon to be found, but likable none the less.

T: Like above but with more sweet grain and some caramel. Slight aspirin-y hop flavor comes late in the game.

M: Starts sweet and relatively full with a nice bit of drying bitterness at the end of every sip. Lingering finish drys the tongue.

O: Good, but we were a little let down by the lack of the advertised bacon.

GbVDave, Apr 19, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +14.9%

My girlfriend brought this home as a surprise, and I must admit I didn't have much hope for a "bacon brown ale", but I must admit it was a lot better than I expected.

The appearance is decent, perhaps more amber than brown, with a rather short-lived head and no lacing. This may be attributed to the growler it came in.

The smell is fairly light, with hints of almond or hazelnut, and a faint bit of malt. It's a nice introduction to the beer, and manages to remain inviting throughout the glass.

The taste is also rather light, a surprise considering the 7.8% ABV. If there is bacon in this brew, it's hard to detect. I feel like I get the faintest hint of it in the aftertaste, but otherwise the flavor is dominated by malt, with almost no hop balance to speak of.

The mouthfeel is rather boring. Again, this may be due to the growler. Whatever carbonation there is does not translate onto the back of the palate. After refilling my glass with a more vigorous pour to try again, it didn't improve, making this the most disappointing part of the brew. By no means is it bad, but I am just spoiled by all the great beer lately.

In general, this is worth trying if you find it. I can't help but wonder if some oils from the bacon are responsible for killing the head and mouthfeel, or if it is because of the growler, but otherwise it's a tasty novelty.

Clamwacker, Apr 14, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

yay, gotta love them tall-boy cans.

Pours a slightly darker colored fizzy almost 1 finger head on an aggressive pour, that starts to fade fairly quickly like it doesn't want to be there. The beer is a very dark molasses brown color with hints of ruby light sneaking through the thin points.

Nose is mostly like a brown ale, toasty brown malts, molasses, brown sugar, sweetness, light caramel and toffee, and just a hint of an earthy hop.

Taste starts with more toasty brown malts, less so on the sweeteners this time, but there is a hint of caramel, molasses, toffee, and some nutty malt flavors. Plenty of nutty malts and toasted malts. Earthy hops kick in fairly quickly with a decent bitterness, some grassy earthy almost herbal hop flavors, that ramp up and practically dominate by the end. They call this bacon, but I don't get any bacon, I get a hint of a grainy slight roasted malt flavor that brings a light bitter briny taste. Finish brings more bitterness with more of the earthy hops, a bit of a briny taste, and toasty malts, but fairly dry.

Mouth is med bodied, decent carb.

Overall not bad, but not great either, decent malts and a good hop blend, but no bacon, just a light briny bitter roasty flavor in what I believe they tried to do for "bacon".

jlindros, Mar 31, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +14.9%

Appears a dark brown color with a thin brown head.

Smells of roasted malts, caramel malts and I suppose smoky bacon.

Taste is composed of a smoky roast flavor and a caramel flavor as well. A grassy hop taste is noticeable in the finish. The smokiness of the beer does seem to come from the bacon but the fat flavor of the bacon thankfully did not appear in the beer.

The carbonation is moderate. The drinkability is ok but it is too smoky to really drink more than one of these.

Overall uncommon did a nice job using bacon in a beer without making me sick. If you see it is worth trying.

chumba526, Jul 10, 2010