Nectar IPA - Humboldt Brewing Co.

Nectar IPANectar IPA

Humboldt Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: avylover on 10-03-2002)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
bogus564

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into a pint glass at my favorite pub...

Last night, I enjoyed a few good beers at my favorite watering hole with my mentor. As the place was crowded, and we had a big table, we offered some seats to a nice couple we just met. The woman was into all different beer styles, and the man patiently drank Coors Light while we all talked about beer and soccer (he's from Portugal). The beer flowed freely, including this one, but I digress; on to the review...

A: The color is nice, reddish amber, with a small head that doesn't hold. This is the third beer in a row I've had whose head doesn't hold up. I wonder if it has anything to do with the temperature in the pub.

S: It smells nice, hoppy, but citrus hoppy. I prefer that over piny hoppy. It helps that I'm distracted by the woman's cleavage. My goodness. There's a slight sweetness to the smell, which is nice. Did I mention the woman's cleavage? It was quite nice.

T: Very good. To try and feel less guilty about staring at a married woman's body, I talk to the man about how this beer tastes. I try to go into the grapefruit taste, the piny note of the hops, the light caramel taste, but he could care less. He's perfectly happy with his Coors Light; God bless him. And his nicely bosomed wife.

M: Good, doesn't knock me off my stool. It's light-bodied, well carbonated, with a really bitter finish. But the conversation is so much fun that I don't care that I've got bitter beer face.

O: Pretty good beer overall. The mentor and I left the married couple, but I've a feeling we'll see them again, at least in one of the many social networks.

09-04-2011 01:28:26 | More by bogus564
scruffwhor

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Copper and bronze in color with nice bubbling and a tan head of two fingers that leaves a thick foam throughout all twelve ounces.

Very earthy hop aroma. Makes me think of gardening. Planting annuals with lots of dirty on my hands along withyour normal grden flower and organic matter aroma.

Teh taste starts with earthy citric notes of dried orange peel and grass. The malt adds some toasted biscuit sweetness to hop earth and bitterness. The palate makes me think of a syrupy hop resin. A good earthy with citrus tasting IPA.

04-29-2011 18:17:57 | More by scruffwhor
Bookseeb

Washington

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance holds a golden amber color supporting a fair head that dissipates leaving fair lace. Smell has a very nice sweet malt aroma balanced by the grapefruit bitter of the hops. Taste again has the sweetness of the malt with the grapefruit piney bitter of the hops. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. A sweet tasty IPA.

01-09-2014 03:13:22 | More by Bookseeb
treehugger02010

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

The best girlfriend in the world got me a mixed six pack and this bottle happened to be in it. I just poured it into a flared pint glass.
Appearance: A beautiful transparrent dark gold or light amber colored body with a trendous head full of huge bubbles and super sweet retention and the stickest of lacings all the way down.
Smell: A brilliant alpha hop aroma that became muted as it warmed.
Taste: Very well balanced beer, with the strong presence of floral hops, but again as the beer warmed this also was muted.
Mouthfeel: A typical ridgid and crisp IPA mouthfeel.
Drinkability: Absolutly superb.
Don't drink and review.

04-29-2007 23:49:59 | More by treehugger02010
hero27

12 oz bottle.

Glowing light copper color. Light khaki head.
Fresh hop aroma of pine & grapefruit. Resiny hop bite right from the first sip. The malt lingers well in the background, but leaves this aggressively hoppy while not being completely unbalanced. Plenty of hop character and a very drinkable IPA from Humboldt Brewing Company.

07-30-2006 21:58:07 | More by hero27
shand

3.99/5  rDev +4.7%

Nectar IPA pours out copper with a small head. The aroma features a sharp citrus, spicy and floral hoppiness over caramel malts. The taste delivers on the nose, with a well integrated spicy and floral hop packed up by a decently strong, slightly toasted caramel malt backbone. Light citrus tones lurk until the finish, where they amplify slightly. The mouthfeel is light and crisp, and the drinkability is great. Overall, a solid, fresh tasting floral forward IPA. Tastes much lighter than the ABV suggests.

02-07-2013 17:17:45 | More by shand
oberon

I love an old shcool left coast IPA and this fits the bill perfectly.Poured one and a half bottles into an imperial nonic a burnt orange color with a nice tight one finger white head atop.Aromas of pine resin and citrusy hops over top of a sweetish doughy caramel malt base,just like it should be in my opinion.Flavors of big pine resin and grapefruit rind with a bit of herb to go along with a caramel malt base wich is almost as big as the hops.I love the old school IPA's and this is something I could drink all night,wich I likely will.

07-24-2013 23:11:15 | More by oberon

West Virginia

05-02-2013 15:53:36 | More by williamjbauer
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

Ruby copper tinted body floating in my chalice with a big off white cream colored head chunky appearance of clouds floating in the sky. Aroma big earthy hops, citric notes with herbaceous qualities of Humboldt county recipes an provide...I know it's currently brewed and bottled in Paso Robles which is Firestone Walker country can't beat that I hope it means that this beer coming back to Ohio equates to the fact that we want to drink DBA, Union Jack, and the other standard beers that FSWBC makes. Flavor big streaks of undying hops in each sip this is IPA at the West Coast perspective and everyone that enjoys good IPA, hops are bodacious in their undertaking here with big citric, earthy notes, and floral aspects I love this IPA. I'm down for more of this kind of brewing quality control lasts the trip across the country true West Coast IPA. Mouthfeel is medium bodied IPA flowing carbonation good mix of hops and body on the palate great WCIPA, overall solid in every way I want to drink more.

07-30-2013 21:30:54 | More by WVbeergeek
jamisonspitzer

Maryland

05-10-2013 18:40:46 | More by jamisonspitzer
rhoadsrage

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a hazy dark orange body with a bubbly tan head that fades to a thick ring after a bit. There is a gentle carbonation of microbubbles gliding to the surface.

S- The citrus and green earthy hops have some tropical fruit notes and a watermelon hint that is interesting. As the beer opens there is some dry pale malt and caramel malt aromas underneath.

T- The sweet pale malt flavor lays a base for the soft green hops that have fruity notes and a slight watery taste when it warms.

M- The medium mouthfeel with a gentle fizz has no alcohol heat noticed.

O- This beer has a nice malt flavor with some good complex hop smells. This is a nice solid pale ale even though the hops are a bit soft in the taste. The good malt flavor makes up for that. I wouldn't call it an IPA.

02-20-2012 17:09:44 | More by rhoadsrage

Eaglefan344

Missouri

07-27-2013 00:05:16 | More by Eaglefan344
GregPearson33

A: deep reddish amber with a thin head. Delicious looking, but darker than I typically perceive with an IPA. Honestly, an absolute A+ as I see it in the snifter. After a few sips it laced exceptionally, while keeping its thin "I'm still fresh and great to sip" head.

S: Citrusy, with hints of lemon peel, grapefruit, etc. There's a great sweet maltiness in the background backing up the hops.

T: Hoppy as f*ck! delicious! way better balanced and with more pronounced flavors than I would have thought from the nose... the hop profile (Citra, basically the same as the nose) conforms well with the deep amber malt presence.

D/M: Not too thick, not too thin, just a great session-able IPA. Would definitely go for this again!

04-09-2011 03:40:35 | More by GregPearson33

gtermi

06-15-2013 00:11:01 | More by gtermi
st9647v3

05-10-2013 01:30:45 | More by st9647v3
Nectar IPA from Humboldt Brewing Co.