Sip Of Sunshine - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Sip Of SunshineSip Of Sunshine

Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: MichaelAllenVT on 04-03-2014

This lupulin-ladin India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit character, bright floral aromas and delectable layers of hop flavor. Pour mindfully, inhale deeply and enjoy a tropical vacation in a glass. Always store cold, enjoy fresh and stay cool!
Sip of Sunshine IPA is brewed by Lawson’s Finest Liquids at Two Roads Brewing Co. in Stratford CT.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,927 | Reviews: 242
4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

One of the best beers available in my area and probably my all time favorite beer.

3.62/5  rDev -21%

Solid for an ipa, but I'm not a fan of the style

4.65/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Received a bounty of fantastically fresh SoS thanks to fellow BA JamesonTrades. So much that I was compelled to share with some local beer friends of mine. Reviewing from my notes after enjoying this particular one on 2/28 out of a 16 oz can and poured into a Speigelau IPA glass. The bottom is marked with a canning date of 2/13, so it's just a baby at two weeks old.

Appearance (4.5) - Pours a slightly hazy amber yellow with highlights of spun gold and saffron lowlights. If I look hard, I can see a lazy trail of carbonation bubbles rising up through the slightly cloudy liquid to replenish a towering three-finger head reminiscent of meringue and the color of the tops of fluffy white cumulus clouds. Retention is excellent, with the foam lasting for longer than I'm willing to wait to drink my beer. The glass is imparted with sticky rings of lace after the foam has gone save for some patches of fluff on the surface of the glass.

Smell (5.0) - Hard to describe this any other way than "wow". The initial burst is filled with tropical profiles, strong notes of mango and passionfruit, with subtler suggestions of clementine and citrus zest to give the softer tropical flavors a bit of bite. There is a hint of the underlying malt base, but it's clearly only present to provide a vehicle for the explosion of fruity hop characteristics. The smell is so lush and intoxicating that it's hard to imagine the taste possibly living up to my now lofty expectations.

Taste (4.5) - Sadly, the taste was doomed to take a back seat to that juicy aromatic explosion from the get-go. That said, the taste holds it's own quite well. The mango and passionfruit again make their presence known, with now some more astringent grapefruit notes and citrus zest. The taste may not be quite as dynamic and over-the-top as the aroma, but it's still quite amazing. Often times, I find double IPAs to have bit more of that bready malt presence than I would prefer, but the rub is that losing the malt often loses some of the luscious, juicy body that is needed to maintain balance. In this case, Lawson's seems to have found the perfect balance of malt to carry the hoppy goodness without trying to steal the show.

Mouthfeel (4.75) - Picking up where I left off with the taste, the body of this double IPA is close to perfect. Juicy and full feeling in the mouth, but not heavy or overbearing. Carbonation is moderate and the finish is semi-dry.

Overall (4.5), this is a stellar beer. I have no idea how well it holds up to time, because I was unable to resist drinking all of my cans before they had even reached the three-week-old point. I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say this is better than Heady Topper (although I'm pretty sure my score may reflect as much), but it's certainly in the conversation. For all intents and purposes, the two Vermont DIPA heavyweights are in a dead heat. Both are excellent, and in their own ways.

4.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4/11/15

Had 6 now and every time I pick out something different to like. Solid beer all around. Tons of hops in the smell, taste and feel. Believe it all citra over and over. Creates a great smell and taste but it does burn out a bit and the bitter tends to build up. Overall, great beer, and will drink as many as I can get my hands on.

4.73/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

SOS on draft is awesome. That's what my rating reflects. Two Roads is not brewing as good as Sean Lawson. In a can, it gets about a 4.1 overall rating.

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Love this beer. One of the best double IPA I have had the pleasure of tasting. Hate how hard it is to find.

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Served in an IPA glass from a 16oz can

A: Orange, slightly cloudy. Finger of head.
S: Citrus upfront. Some pine and herbal. Very faint sweetness. Tropical present throughout. Mango?
T: Pine upfront, followed by citrus and tropical fruit flavors. Finishes dry with lingering pine. Nicely balanced with some malt in the background.
M: Medium carbonation, decent body. Finishes up dry.
O: A lot of IIPAs come close to being pure hop juice, this has a nice balance for a style that's defined by lack of balance. Overall a great example of the style.

4.76/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried on draft in burlington. Had Heady and Abner for the first time on the trip and this was absolutely in any conversation for best beer of the trip. Just beautiful hoppy goodness with to die for nose.

Been trading for the last couple months and have 20+ on the top 250 list. This is probably my favorite.

Most amazing liquid sensation on the planet...

4.98/5  rDev +8.7%

Just a fantastic beer. Lived up to the hype for me.

4.65/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers currently!

4.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Canned 2/20 drinking on 4/6 stored cold

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

This is probably my favorite IPA out there. I am a new englander, and my vote goes here over heady topper. I can't get my nose away from the can after I pour it into a glass. I amost feel bad about getting rid of the can! I can smell grapefruit, pineapple, and other tropical fruits in the aroma of this one. The taste pretty much yields the same. It's like taking a tropical vacation in a can. I absolutely love this beer and it has quickly become my go to. I only wish it was a little easier to get.

3.52/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can.
Clear body with a decent head.
Dank, strong aroma.
The flavor is much more appealing, although still relying more on dank and resiny hops than I prefer.

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Hazy, light orange/golden yellow in color with plenty of bubbles coming to the surface. Pours a nice foamy white head.
S: Smells citrusy, piney, with noticeable notes of peach…smells extremely fresh (new batch)
T: Tastes a bit piney at first, but eases into a nice dry/prickly to the tongue hoppy character. I could detect some subtle malty sweetness with some citrusy flavors.
M: Medium amount of carbonation, well balanced between the hops and the malty sweetness combined with a citrus element.
O: This is the best beer i've had to date! Purely Extraordinary….I know some complained of bad batches in the past, but this certainly wasn't one of them. I'm dying to try heady now and to see how they compare!

4.23/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Obviously this is a good beer. Although the hype behind it may be leading to some of the higher than high scores. Most of the hype is valid. This is an ipa in the upper echelon for sure. Comparable to Heady, 077xx, Juju, Pliny and others.

4.27/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1821st Review on BA
16oz Tallboy to Beecher Pint
Thanks Bahnfire

App- A bright orange with a mild center of golden yellow with a bit of flecked peach pink to it. A lot of bubbles come floating up. A nice frothy and fluffy 2-1/2” head with a pure white color to it. A long retention period with good lacing to it.

Smell- I am always hesitant when a can states just how lush or tropical something is. I was pleasantly surprised by this one. A nice and wonderful aroma came up with big tropical notes. A great balance of hop oils with a semi sweet aroma.

Taste- It’s a very good IPA. These east coast IPAs are more lush and creamy and have a great hoppy balance to them. As mentioned in the above section, my skepticism over the tropical was short lived. A great amount of fruit flavors came out. Not overly bitter and was very crisp and clean. The 4 pk didn’t stand a chance.

Mouth- A good and solid medium body with a lusher leaning medium carbonation. A very nice layer or clean hops and balance tropical fruits.

Drink- It was good, Don’t get me wrong. Just expected more. Was thinking more HT level.

3.49/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Maybe I got a bad batch from the two roads location... Was super excited when I read about this beer and saw the 100 ba rating. Unfortunate that I don't see it, but the flavor profile was not for me. Did not get a glimpse of floral or citrus AT ALL. For me it's a bitter hoppy booze ridden ipa, that is very mildly carbonated. I can feel the boozy heat in my stomach. It's not that I dislike this beer at all but I don't think it lived up to my expectations of dipa due to the amount of wonderful ones I have had lately.

4.98/5  rDev +8.7%

Super juicy with tropical fruit all over the place. Incredibly easy drinking this is an example of a perfect beer. Lawson is on top of his game right now!

3.79/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had tried Sip of Sunshine three months ago. Was unimpressed, but to be fair I gave it a second shot this past weekend.

I decided that while it is definitely a quality made beer, the taste is just not for me.

I taste a very dank hop presence, not citrus/fruity as all as advertised.

My prefererance for IPAS has always been for the sweet taste with citrus/floral/graprefuit hop profile. This is very bitter /resiny on the palate.

I wanted to love this beer. I could not. Can name 8-10 beers from my home state of CT that blow this out of the water.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. One of my faves

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

Intriguing floral notes and well balance hop flavor. A truly nice IPA and I'm generally not an IPA fan.

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from can into tulip. Excited to try!

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden honey color. Nice head and lacing.

S - Bright, fresh floral and hoppy aroma. Fruity, piney. Very nice. Not overpowering like other beers but very pleasant.

T - Juicy and hoppy. Not a strong malt backbone which is fine for me. A bit more fruity than citrusy, more tropical. Reminds me of Jai Alai.

A very nice beer and look forward to trying more and trying the double version!

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Exceptional beer at a great cost now that it's canned. .

to view more.