Maple Nipple Ale - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-06-2009

Our hearty Vermont Maple ale is a unique and tasty brew loaded with local maple syrup and a kick!
to view more.
Ratings: 221 | Reviews: 67
4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

i am an egregious lush for anything maple, so this is inherently a biased opinion. i expected this to be a maple syrup bomb like some of the other maple ales coming out of the green mountain state, but what i found was something very different. maple always ferments out pretty efficiently, so if its maple flavored, its usually sweet, and when it has maple syrup and is on the drier side, you cant usually taste it all that much. in this one, i get as much of the wood and the leaves and the sap itself, prior to boiling down, as i do the finished maple syrup. its earthier, less sweet, definitely woodier and a different kind of richness, organic and rustic, the qualities i love about vermont itself. criticisms of its lack of maple presence must come from those who are not familiar with the tree or the process, as i found this to be a sort of lovely throwback and homage to the maple as a plant. layered beer where copper and caramel malts interweave with the maple. there is a fine nutty quality in the finish with the sugars, and there is even some balancing hops. lawsons keeps making me happy everytime i get to drink one of their beers, and isnt that, afterall, the point of beer in the first place?

Bottle shared with native Vermonters.

"It's good" was everyone's reaction.

It tastes like maple sap that collects in metal buckets during sugaring season. A soft, sugar candy flavor in a simple ale. There is no complexity to this beer. The "kick" they mention in the description is not there.

For the price, you are better off sucking on real maple hard candies while swigging whatever beer cheap beer you have in your hand to mimic its taste.

I subjectively rated this a 4 because I like maple syrup anything, but I think most would find this beer disappointing.

Overall, this is a novelty beer that I only bought because it had the Lawson's label on it. I enjoyed it but I would probably refrain from buying it again at future sales.

3.84/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a Prohibition Pig snifter.
Pours dark amber, minimal head that dissipates.
Smells sweet, maple is prominent. Some alcohol.
Taste is inline with aroma, but a more complex maple flavor is present than what I was expecting.
Mouthfeel is nice, a smidge thicker than normal ale, I'm assuming from the maple.
Overall, a well done beer!

3.35/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with foiled-over silver pry-off unbranded pressure cap acquired in a trade with the gracious ICCULIS and served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof; this is me first Lawson's beer and I've heard nothing but fantastic things about the brewery. 8% ABV confirmed. I dig the simple no-nonsense label art. Unpasteurized and unfiltered - I like that.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. Not paired with food.

A: Pours a head of one finger height and healthy khaki colour. Good creaminess and attractive soft complexion. Good thickness and retention - about 3-4 minutes. Nice supple lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Even and consistent. No "legs" here.

Body colour is difficult to describe; it's a glowing murky caramel-brown with orange-peach hues. Some mild translucence, but it's nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Certainly appears unfiltered, but I wouldn't call it hazy or cloudy.

Looking good for a "maple ale." I'm content to review as an Herbed / Spiced beer as is currently listed, but I'm not going to very stringent as this style is sort of a rubbish catch-all anyway.

Sm: Rich maple wood and maple syrup - but real true syrup, not the crap you buy in the store. It's evocative yet subtle; I'm liking where this is going. Mellow nuts - perhaps hazelnut or walnut. The nuts and syrup blend well together in an attractive cohesive melange. Brown sugar. Perhaps birchwood. No alcohol or yeast character is detectable. Any hop character is minimal in strength and likely merely there as a preservative. Some cream. Subtle and below average in terms of strength. Brown malts. Light breadiness. Light fleeting cidery notes. As it warms somewhat, I get a bit of subtle spice; I'm terrible at guessing spices but I'd wager one of them is nutmeg. Not getting clove. Some toffee and caramel. I like the execution here, and as it warms I uncover more and more complexity. Really excited to try it.

T: Hm. Pleasant maple syrup is indeed the first thing I notice; it's spread throughout and supported by a pleasant unobtrusive brown malt bready foundation. Good body here. Slight cream. Brown sugar evenly sprinkled throughout. The spicing is subtle; maybe some buried nutmeg? Some woody (mainly maple) undertones. The nuttiness is buried, if present - certainly not as evocative as it was in the aroma. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Overall, it's an approachable well balanced flavour profile with interesting complexity - albeit less than promised by the aroma. I do like it, and there's some mild subtlety here, but I'm not blown away like I hoped to be given Lawson's' reputation. Very likable interesting stuff and unconventionally executed; I'm not convinced it's best examined as an "Herbed / Spiced beer," but there's intriguing experimentation here and it doesn't fit neatly into any style I've had before per se. It delivers on its concept - it's indeed a maple-driven ale. I just wish it brought a bit more to the table. Any hopping is unnoticeable.

Mf: Good carbonation. Smooth and wet. Not as syrupy as you might expect, and it never comes off too thick or overbearing. Nice presence on the palate. Suits the flavour profile generally well, facilitating flavour delivery more than adequately. Not oily, harsh, or biting. Not crisp. Unrefreshing.

Dr: I guess this is one of Lawson's more available offerings? I'm far from blown away, but I'm not unimpressed. The beer overall isn't incredible, but based on this alone I do think Lawson's is a promising brewery to investigate. Would I get this again? Maybe in the right mood. It might even develop a bit with age. But the complexity, subtlety, and balance I look for in truly great beers just isn't here to full bore. I'm glad I got to try this and I'm far from disappointed, but I'm not able to get a good read on whether or not Lawson's reputation as an amazing brewery is justified. I like what I'm seeing, but I need more. A drinkable brew overall with intriguing experimentation, but nothing to write home about. Certainly worth checking out, but I wouldn't recommend it to friends or go out of my way to track it down. Pleasant mellow stuff. Thanks again, ICCULIS!

If I had to guess/impose the style, I'd go with American Strong Ale. Definitely doesn't come off like an "Herbed / Spiced Beer."

B-

3.72/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes over the weekend. Glad to finally be able to try some Lawson's beers after a few years of missing out on them. Skinny Pancake, Montpelier.

A- Poured into the Lawson's tulip with a dark red body and a small fizzy off-white head. Head falls to a ring quickly with spotty lace.

S- Fruity almost apple and cherry feel. Pretty laid back for an 8 (9?)% beer. Some caramel and grain in the background.

T- Reminds me of a rye beer I once made. Has good toasty nutty malt flavors but once again I find apple and cherry fruit flavors to be stronger. Just a balanced, strong ale to me. Maple is there but not really sweet and more dark and earthy than what you would typically get from maple syrup flavor, real syrup is probably used here.

MF- Silky moderately thick body. Carbonation is high but supports the balanced flavor well. Slight bitterness in the finish.

A balanced and relaxed strong ale for me. Not a maple bomb I expected but more refined, still solid and very drinkable for the ABV.

2.87/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Enjoyed this beer at the dive.

A - Poured into a tulip a dark clear light brown hue with a light thin blanket that fades to leave a thin light blanket and left a thin halo.

S - Aromas of maple dog? Really maple acrid dampness. Ugh.

T - Taste is light maple, metallic, malts caramel, awful.

M - Mouthfeel is lightly carved and faintly drinkable.

O - Overall I was somewhat disappointed by this beer. Faint maple, more metallic than anything.

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lawson's Finest Liquids - Maple Nipple Ale

Look - This poured a pink in the middle when held up to the light, red towards the sides, and an amber further on the edges. Not much head but lots of sticky lacing.

Smell - Smell is definitely a red style, deep malts and some faint maple, not overpowering, well balanced.

Taste - I would classify it as a red ale meets roasted maple. There is a push of red malts, a bitter red-style peak, then a settle down to a sweet maple.

Mouthfeel - It is sticky but not boozy at all. Quite drinkable and refreshing for this kind of brew, not overly sweet and I appreciate that, I am not a fan of Foley's, which is a sweeter brown ale variety of this category.

Overall - Solid brew. I think it gets a bad rap on here and frankly I disagree. To each their own! I personally think this is a great fusion brew.

4.65/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I feel perfectly fine about my rating being the current highest on Lawson's Maple Nipple because a good Vermonter loves their maple syrup and a masterfully crafted beer! The ratings on this maple mélange are low for the very reason Vermont amber syrup (lighter and sweeter) is more popular than the dark syrup (richer,woodsier).

Hard to get any kind of head even with an aggressive pour. Color is a gorgeous rich dark maple syrup color: very enticing. Opaque in appearance as is the variety of the boiled sap employed. Nose offers a hint of caramel with maple overtones:don't look for hops in the nose and you won't be disappointed. Does Lawson's MAKE hoppy beers? YES, but the style being reviewed here is a Maple Ale, so onward.

Dark syrup is what Lawson's chose for this concoction & imbues a rich and hearty flavor: you really get a solid hit of that with each rich hearty sip.
Sweet? Yes, it is indeed, the way a dark Vermont maple syrup tastes, but blended masterfully with hops,yeast and spices. Notes of alcohol are slight as it warms,not overly hot as other reviewers have noted.
Medium to heavy body, perfect carbonation,similar to a rich Vermont maple soda,but with an interesting blend of malt and slight hop character.

I'm wishing that I had purchased more than one bomber of this gourmet Vermont ale when I had the chance, but with Double Sunshine and Peril taking up most of my budget at Lawson's 5th Anniversary celebration, that's just the way it goes. Guess I'll have to wait until next April to score multiples of this delightful elixir!

3.16/5  rDev -14.8%

A - pours a deep mahogany brown color with bright ruby highlights. Two fingers of off-white foam dissipate to a thin fill with a almost a fingers thick of foam around the edge.

S - the nose is a bit muted but pleasant. Plentiful fruit esters in the form of figs, raisins, and cherrirs. Notes of toasted almond, brown sugar, chocolate shavings round out the nose.

T - sweet notes of granulated sugar and doughy bread on the forefront. Dusty brown sugar and toasty flavors as well. In the center the flavors all meld to create a french toast sort of character. There is a present yet pertinent american hop profile with an earthy and slightly citric bitterness. Finish is chocolatey but quick.

M - medium bodied with a slick and slightly watery texture. medium carbonation.

O - interesting ale. I was expecting something more from this ale but it was still decent.

3.12/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep copper with a decent off white head. Chunky collar. Clear body.

Smell - Bland aroma. Mapley. Slightly metallic aroma.

Taste - Much more mapley. Sweet and caramely. A little too sweet. No bitterness. No complexity. Kinda blah also.

Mouthfeel - Sweet and then dries out just a touch. Needs it.

Overall - Very uninspired. I like maple beer, but this is dull.

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Maple Nipple pours a clear dark amber with a miniscule tan head. What fizz there is fades quickly, but leaves a few spots of lace on the glass.

The aroma is faint but has notes of maple, apricot and caramel malt.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is creamy with light carbonation. The flavor is very sweet. Caramel malt, brown sugar, light fruit (apricot) and a little maple. Finishes a little dry with a slight herbal flavor. Once gone the brown sugar and fruity notes linger.

Very tasty easy drinking beer. Not as mapley as I thought it would be, but the sweetness is nice.

3.39/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to kevanb for the share. 750 ml bottle served in a FW mini snifter.

A: Pours a dark amber color with a thin tan had forming on the pour. It recedes quickly to a thin ring. Minimal lace.

S: Slightly hoppy with maple sweetness. Stale malts with a light cookie sweetness to it. Raw honey.

T: Lagery and kolsch like. Maple sweetness. Pale malts with a little blandness to them.

M: Medium to light bodied. Medium low carb. Slighlty sweet.

O: This was ok. Very odd style of beer. Wouldn't really want to try again.

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer is the beer for maple lovers. If you love maple syrup then you have got to try this beer and really no better place for a brewer to make a maple beer than Vermont. After a vigorous pour this beer had a 2 mm head which faded to lace. There was a floating solid peace of something in the glass that I couldn't identify but it made me excited. First taste this beer screams maple syrup, even down the the mouth feel of the beer. It is smooth and ohhh so tasty as you continue to drink the maple falls to the background but the smoothness stays with you. Overall a delicious and uniquely Vermont experience.

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Opaque caramel-amber body with 2" of off white head.

The smell is bready with caramel and maple syrup.

The taste is undeniably maple syrup. It's sweet but cut with a earth bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation.

It's pretty basic but still very tasty. I enjoyed it very much.

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A-medium brown color with an off-white head and some lacing

S-maple, light roasted malt, hint of dark fruit

T-light roasted malt, brown sugar, light maple flavor, minimal bitterness in the finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth

O-pleasant enough, but really lacks a kick of spices or maple that would make this much more enjoyable

3.71/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a medium amber in color with some orange, copper, and red highlights along with a light amount of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall light tan head that slowly reduces to a couple of small patches with a very thin film covering the majority of the surface and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Overall this is a light to medium aroma with some sweet bready malts with a touch of caramel, toffee, and maple syrup. Just a touch of woodiness.

T: There is a moderate to strong amount of malty sweetness to this brew including brown sugar, caramel, and maple syrup with just a touch of toffee. The beer is sweet but not cloying at all and there is a bready backbone to it all. Slightly earthy...

M: Slightly less than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly creamy with a touch of alcohol heat in the finish.

O: I was a little disappointed, I was really hoping for a lot more maple presence to this beer (especially with it being called maple nipple). It was an interesting and fairly unique beer but nothing out of this world. Alcohol is fairly well hidden for this big a beer.

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Bomber into a rock art pint glass bought the bottle from the man himself at the warren farmer's market

A: There is a dark brown red coloring with a thin tan head i can't help but say it looks a lot like maple syrup

S: There is a wonderful smell of roasted maple goodness it is not as strong as I would like but its there with some malt in there too I think. I can smell a little bit of the alcohol which isn't a good thing but its not overpowering.

T: Well its definitely one of the sweeter beers that I have tasted its almost a weird flavor in a beer but it is maple syrup in it. Which I'm kind of disappointed about as its not a strong flavor but its definitly there. The roasted malt is there too but theres only a hint of it.

M: It is pretty thin on the outside but there is definitely a thickness too it. It is much more of a sipper then I expected it to be. It has an oiliness to it as well but is still enjoyable

O: I love Lawson's but this is not one of their best offerings, its not bad by any stretch of the imagination though. I like the flavors here, but I wish they were more robust or maybe overpowered by sweetness which isn't to say its not enjoyable, I liked it. I did not love it, worth a try in my opinion especially if you have an infinitely to maple syrup and hey he's in the middle of maple syrup country so why not do it up.

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

22oz bottle purchased at the Lawson's farmer's market release a week and half ago. Poured into Lawson's tulip and consumed right after Maple Tripple.

A- Dark mahogany brown with some translucency (definitely darker then the tripple), slightly below average carbonation, about a half finger of yellowish head.

S- Sugars, light maple syrup, malts, toffee, caramel, a bit of yeast. Smells almost like a watered down version of the tripple being slightly less sweet, not as aromatic, and not as much maple syrup.

T- Sweet caramel malts, a bit of yeast, a little bit of sugar, and a light maple syrup finish with a hint of booze. Fairly pleasant, maple syrup is definitely toned down compared to some of the other Lawson's maple beers. Could be a little bit more flavorful, but still very enjoyable.

M- Medium bodied, low carbonation, smooth.

O- This was a decent offering from Lawson's which is very good, but definitely a little bit toned down on the maple syrup compared to his other offerings. The maple syrup still adds a nice sweetness which in my opinion goes well with the beer. While this wasn't anything mind-blowing and definitely not one of Lawson's best offerings, I still definitely enjoyed this and in my opinion it is under-rated. I would definitely have this again and I recommend checking it out if you get the chance.

bomber into 2011 SAVOR snifter. no bottled on date.

A: slightly hazed. very amber, more like copper body. slightly off-white head, small bubbled. retention is good. tight lacing left behind.

S: sweet. burnt caramel. raisins. bubblegum. popcorn? hard to tell if the sweetness is from syrup or the malt. regardless, big, sweet, things i would expect from a maple syrup ale.

T: super sweet start. chestnuts. sugar in the raw. lots of unfermented sugars here. or maybe it's the maple? the finish definitely reinforces that maple was used somewhere.

M: moderate carb on a medium, almost full body.

D: sweet, cloying, a big beer indeed. if you like sweet, maple syrup, i highly recommend. more of a holiday brew for me, but since this was consumed so close to Christmas i cant say i mind.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to queens1130 for sharing this one at drewone's tasting.

Pours a clear dark orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, maple, spices, and alcohol. Taste is much the same with a mild spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but the maple doesn't really come out all that much in my opinion.

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First had: bottle from Warren Store, Warren, VT

Poured into a Heady Topper stemless snifter, a clearish maple brown color (appropriately), with a finger or so of foamy white head that receded to a wispy layer, leaving some short-lived lacing on the glass. Woody aroma, bready, with hints of maple. I've learned from homebrewing that maple is an extremely difficult sugar to work with, and after the yeast noms it up, it's hard to get any maple aroma or flavor remnants, so all things considered, the maple in the nose was adequate. Taste was similar to the smell, woody, bready malts, caramel, maple was more subtle at first, but came out more as the palate adjusted, moderate earthy hops, and a decent booze kick for a dry finish. Medium body, tasty, very good overall. Just don't go in expecting to get a pure glass of gooey sweet maple syrup booze.

3.72/5  rDev +0.3%

Grabbed this bottle at the beverage store in Winooski this morning. Fills the glass with a nice chestnut colored body and a creamy ivory colored head. Sweet but not overly syrupy on the nose. Maple blends nicely with the malts and theres just a hint of medicinal-cough syrupy sweetness in the background.

Maple adds a nice touch to the palate but it doesn't play as nearly as strong a role as it does in some of Lawsons other maple beers (Faystons stout). Biscuity and toffee malt flavors pair well with it. A bit of a full bodied feel to it makes for a nice drink on a cool fall evening.

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

well i went into this with low expectations, so it's no surprise I was happier than most. i was expecting a drink with big maple flavor and perhaps a cloying sweetness and I got neither.
the maple syrup is a nice sweetening agent, but if i tried this blindfolded i wouldn't even know there was maple in it. however, the sweetness is smooth, and as i said not cloying at all - a very nice balance not often attained. the result is just a nice slightly sweet dark ale with a nice carbonation fit for a cool fall evening. is it overpriced? many would say yes. I'm glad I bought it, but moneywise, when it comes down to this or three cans of heady, well you know....

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orangish amber with a half finger of off white head that fades to a ring with very mild lacing.

Smell: Quite sweet and malty. I'm picking up some brown sugar and a mild apple smell. There is also some alcohol.

Taste: Malty and a bit sweet with a fairly strong bitterness throughout. The finish contains some brown sugar and maple as well as some alcohol. Not bad, but not nearly as interesting as I had hoped.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side of medium and a little bit sticky. The carbonation is tingly and the finish is dry.

Overall: I wanted this to be spectacular, but it was just alright. Oh well, still not bad.

3.45/5  rDev -7%

Bottle thanks to Todd.

A: The beer pours amber in color with an off-white head.

S: Sweet maple and bread are pretty much it on this one. It's exceedingly simple. There might be a touch of apple and pear, maybe some woody notes and toffee.

T: Like the nose, most of the character is just sweetness. A fair bit of sugar, toffee, and brown sugar with perhaps some toasted bread. Despite being so high gravity, it's a little bit watery.

M: Medium in body with medium carbonation.

O: Nothing offensive or repulsive, just boring, bland, and uninteresting.

to view more.