Maple Nipple Ale - Lawson's Finest Liquids

good

Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Our hearty Vermont Maple ale is a unique and tasty brew loaded with local maple syrup and a kick!

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-06-2009)
Reviews by Jimmys:

bomber into 2011 SAVOR snifter. no bottled on date.

A: slightly hazed. very amber, more like copper body. slightly off-white head, small bubbled. retention is good. tight lacing left behind.

S: sweet. burnt caramel. raisins. bubblegum. popcorn? hard to tell if the sweetness is from syrup or the malt. regardless, big, sweet, things i would expect from a maple syrup ale.

T: super sweet start. chestnuts. sugar in the raw. lots of unfermented sugars here. or maybe it's the maple? the finish definitely reinforces that maple was used somewhere.

M: moderate carb on a medium, almost full body.

D: sweet, cloying, a big beer indeed. if you like sweet, maple syrup, i highly recommend. more of a holiday brew for me, but since this was consumed so close to Christmas i cant say i mind.

Jimmys, Dec 21, 2012

Callmecoon, Nov 21, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

bierdabbler, Feb 03, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bomber, Bottle 95, Rare batch 156. Purchased at the Warren Store.

Pours medium honey amber, hazed, khaki head, long lasting, frothy, high quality looking all the way, leaves tongues of sheeting and nice looking stands and bits of lace. Nice looking brew. Silky smooth, rich and chewy

The sniff reveals waves of sweet malt, honey, vanilla.

Flavorful, super smooth, maltolicious offering. Maple, vanilla, honey all noted. Smoke, wood undertones. Softly biting hops come in late.

Luxorious fall/winter offering. Well crafted, delicious, understated yet bold, mild yet heady at 9%. Well worth seeking out.

Billolick, Nov 06, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap at the SIPtember fest at Mad River Glen.

Pours a nice light golden color with a bit of lacing that stays for a while. Aroma is nice and maple with some sugar and sweetness.

Taste is nice and maple as well, some sugary notes and a bit wheaty. Very nice! A bit of nice light malt character as well, but almost no hops to it.

kingcrowing, Sep 27, 2009

RyanOooh, Dec 08, 2013

Photekut, Nov 19, 2011

troegaarden, Mar 02, 2013
2.42/5  rDev -34.8%

Bomber shared by Bubba83 on BA.

Pours hazy amber in color with a one-finger light khaki head and some lacing.

The aroma is big cardboard box, maple, and sweet malts. Could be a little oxidized or something.

The flavor is rather oxidized. Cardboard is the dominant flavor note. Besides that it's caramel malt, slightly sweet, and maple syrup.

Medium bodied with average carbonation.

Not great overall, definitely a bit off. I wonder if this is how it always is or if something happened to this bottle.

nickd717, Nov 17, 2010
3.14/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep copper with a decent off white head. Chunky collar. Clear body.

Smell - Bland aroma. Mapley. Slightly metallic aroma.

Taste - Much more mapley. Sweet and caramely. A little too sweet. No bitterness. No complexity. Kinda blah also.

Mouthfeel - Sweet and then dries out just a touch. Needs it.

Overall - Very uninspired. I like maple beer, but this is dull.

Alieniloquium, Mar 19, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz foiled topped bomber into a couple of snifters. This was from Batch #152 Bottle # 57.

Pours a hazed, rose-hued amber, topped with a tight finger of creamy off-white head. This retains with a thin layer of bubbly froth, which just rings the sides with robust foamy lacing. The aroma is VERY smooth in the nose, with the sugary and slightly roasted character of the molasses mixing with a rather robust fruitiness from some citric hops. Notes of bread and some caramel round out the back. You can just tell that this is heavy from the way it sits in the nose but the flavors keeps a silkiness to them that I'm digging.

The taste is sweet up front, with a backbone of bread and caramel. There is definitely an aggressive bitter edge to this from the hops, along with some quite flavorful fresh citric notes of orange and lemon. The molasses is not overdone at all and a has a bit of a burnt roastiness of it's own going on, as it mostly stretches through whole way through but is REALLY coming out to me in a flush across the back end of the profile. The finish is a combo of dry, roasty, bitter, and earthy but it's the residual sugars from the molasses that linger the most. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a crisp yet creamy feel that is equal parts lively and bubbly on the tongue. I just can't stress enough though how ridiculously smooth and easy this is for a 9% beer. No alcohol is detected whatsoever and I would have never guessed how big this was, except for the warmth that slowly started to creep across my face as I was working on this.

Wow, this was a VERY pleasant surprise that slowly worked its magic on me and a buddy as we got through two bottles of this. I think that this is one of those beers that you have to "get" and this completely worked for me. I loved how the molasses worked with the bright citric fruit notes and that big but approachable body makes for some fantastic sipping during those cold late fall nights. This beer just screamed Vermont to me. I nominate this as the official state beer!

Kegatron, Dec 16, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

Got as an extra in a recent trade. Thanks a lot, Greg.

Pour is a mostly clear orange, with a head the color of the San Francisco Giants' home uniforms. A thin cap of bubbles of varying sizes sticks around pretty well, though the glass is bereft of appreciable lacing.

Aroma is... not what I expected. This seems to me to be akin to an American Strong Ale. Boozier than I would have anticipated. Maple is barely, barely there. Vanilla is noticed when breathing out. Booze.

As boozy as it is in the aroma, the alcohol is pretty well-hidden in the taste. Still a stunning lack of maple though. Caramel apple, some breadiness. Solventy, slightly astringent. Medicinal in the long finish.

Mouthfeel: Way too thin. Pretty smooth, adequately carbonated, but this beer is very, very light-bodied.

Drinkabiliy. Eh. I can't see myself putting down much of this.

This isn't a bad beer, but it's not very good. I'm glad I got a chance to try this, and I will seek out other Lawson's in the hopes that this beer is an anomaly, but I don't ever think that this beer will grace my lips again.

davod23, Nov 15, 2010
3.74/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Opaque caramel-amber body with 2" of off white head.

The smell is bready with caramel and maple syrup.

The taste is undeniably maple syrup. It's sweet but cut with a earth bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation.

It's pretty basic but still very tasty. I enjoyed it very much.

Vonerichs, Jan 22, 2013
3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

Grabbed this bottle at the beverage store in Winooski this morning. Fills the glass with a nice chestnut colored body and a creamy ivory colored head. Sweet but not overly syrupy on the nose. Maple blends nicely with the malts and theres just a hint of medicinal-cough syrupy sweetness in the background.

Maple adds a nice touch to the palate but it doesn't play as nearly as strong a role as it does in some of Lawsons other maple beers (Faystons stout). Biscuity and toffee malt flavors pair well with it. A bit of a full bodied feel to it makes for a nice drink on a cool fall evening.

Kinsman, Oct 28, 2012

GRG1313, Nov 25, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

incubuscience, Jul 22, 2013

dvmin98, Sep 29, 2013

Stonehill64, Jan 21, 2014
3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

Sneakily cleared out the Warren Store with BeerTruth of this beer a mere hour before hitting SIPtemberfest :) Thanks to the wonder of hand bottling and signing I know there were only a limited number produced of this batch #66 of this, but thanks to the wonder of condensation, my bottle # is a blue felt tip pen mess of unreadable (#43?).

I poured this into my fancy "I spend way too much at Ithaca and get free shit" Excelsior tulip. I love the head (that's what he said) on this one, 2 fingers thick and it sticks around for a good minute before giving way to some real healthy lacing and thin white ring.

Ok I'm really not sure what to make of the nose on this. I get a hint of maple but then there is something else grassy (not hops) that is there as well. I'll have to come back and edit this sometime when I can put my finger on what I smell.

I'm loving that the maple flavor is really coming through on this, not just straight sweet sugar maple but real dark amber maple flavor, dark brown sugar but not too syrupy in the mouth. I still get that taste lingering after a few minutes but I have no problem with that. The carbonation on this is good. I want pancakes.

Oooooh yeah, 9%. Where? I don't really pick up the tell tale signs of higher ABV in the nose and not in the mouth until I start reaching the end of the bomber (and my sobriety). That is a + for drinkability, but I am finding now that the cloying maple sugar residue in the mouth is bringing it down a touch. A bomber will see its demise by my mouth, but not two.

P.S. Is this really a "fruit beer"? Unless I am failing at life again and do not understand the definition of "fruit", this contains none.

naproxen, Nov 04, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

KevinGordon, Aug 16, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -23.2%

Medium bronze colpr, light offwhite head decent lace.aroma was sport of metallic,astringent and mapley. Taste was maple and bopze, some oak and odd astringency. Feel was medium creamy nicely carbonated. Drink was average. Nothing special rashly. Nice to at least try though.

EgadBananas, Mar 19, 2011