Maple Nipple Ale - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-06-2009

Our hearty Vermont Maple ale is a unique and tasty brew loaded with local maple syrup and a kick!
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to queens1130 for sharing this one at drewone's tasting.

Pours a clear dark orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, maple, spices, and alcohol. Taste is much the same with a mild spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but the maple doesn't really come out all that much in my opinion.

4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

i am an egregious lush for anything maple, so this is inherently a biased opinion. i expected this to be a maple syrup bomb like some of the other maple ales coming out of the green mountain state, but what i found was something very different. maple always ferments out pretty efficiently, so if its maple flavored, its usually sweet, and when it has maple syrup and is on the drier side, you cant usually taste it all that much. in this one, i get as much of the wood and the leaves and the sap itself, prior to boiling down, as i do the finished maple syrup. its earthier, less sweet, definitely woodier and a different kind of richness, organic and rustic, the qualities i love about vermont itself. criticisms of its lack of maple presence must come from those who are not familiar with the tree or the process, as i found this to be a sort of lovely throwback and homage to the maple as a plant. layered beer where copper and caramel malts interweave with the maple. there is a fine nutty quality in the finish with the sugars, and there is even some balancing hops. lawsons keeps making me happy everytime i get to drink one of their beers, and isnt that, afterall, the point of beer in the first place?

3.11/5  rDev -15.3%

Served in a snifter.

Pours a moderate copper color with a half-finger of white head. A moderate amount of a white head and a bit of a thin collar as it goes down. The nose brings some slight maple character. Very faint indeed. There is a bit of sweet grain and some brown sugar there as well. The taste is slight molasses and brown sugar in addition to a bit of maple character. Medium body with pretty good carbonation. Not my favorite Lawson's beer, though glad I got to pick this bottle up.

1.59/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bubba83 opened a bomber of this. Thanks, Kevin.

Copper colored, the body is cloudy, almost opaque. A small head forms and retains pretty well.

Maple, toast and oxidation on the nose. A lot of cardboard. This smells very off, oxidation is overwhelming.

Palate is also dominated by cardboard, really oxidized and stale with a bit of maple behind it. A little toasted bitterness comes through in the finish, and an odd medicinal flavor. The body is thin. This is pretty bad.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orangish amber with a half finger of off white head that fades to a ring with very mild lacing.

Smell: Quite sweet and malty. I'm picking up some brown sugar and a mild apple smell. There is also some alcohol.

Taste: Malty and a bit sweet with a fairly strong bitterness throughout. The finish contains some brown sugar and maple as well as some alcohol. Not bad, but not nearly as interesting as I had hoped.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side of medium and a little bit sticky. The carbonation is tingly and the finish is dry.

Overall: I wanted this to be spectacular, but it was just alright. Oh well, still not bad.

3.45/5  rDev -6%

Bottle thanks to Todd.

A: The beer pours amber in color with an off-white head.

S: Sweet maple and bread are pretty much it on this one. It's exceedingly simple. There might be a touch of apple and pear, maybe some woody notes and toffee.

T: Like the nose, most of the character is just sweetness. A fair bit of sugar, toffee, and brown sugar with perhaps some toasted bread. Despite being so high gravity, it's a little bit watery.

M: Medium in body with medium carbonation.

O: Nothing offensive or repulsive, just boring, bland, and uninteresting.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz foiled topped bomber into a couple of snifters. This was from Batch #152 Bottle # 57.

Pours a hazed, rose-hued amber, topped with a tight finger of creamy off-white head. This retains with a thin layer of bubbly froth, which just rings the sides with robust foamy lacing. The aroma is VERY smooth in the nose, with the sugary and slightly roasted character of the molasses mixing with a rather robust fruitiness from some citric hops. Notes of bread and some caramel round out the back. You can just tell that this is heavy from the way it sits in the nose but the flavors keeps a silkiness to them that I'm digging.

The taste is sweet up front, with a backbone of bread and caramel. There is definitely an aggressive bitter edge to this from the hops, along with some quite flavorful fresh citric notes of orange and lemon. The molasses is not overdone at all and a has a bit of a burnt roastiness of it's own going on, as it mostly stretches through whole way through but is REALLY coming out to me in a flush across the back end of the profile. The finish is a combo of dry, roasty, bitter, and earthy but it's the residual sugars from the molasses that linger the most. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a crisp yet creamy feel that is equal parts lively and bubbly on the tongue. I just can't stress enough though how ridiculously smooth and easy this is for a 9% beer. No alcohol is detected whatsoever and I would have never guessed how big this was, except for the warmth that slowly started to creep across my face as I was working on this.

Wow, this was a VERY pleasant surprise that slowly worked its magic on me and a buddy as we got through two bottles of this. I think that this is one of those beers that you have to "get" and this completely worked for me. I loved how the molasses worked with the bright citric fruit notes and that big but approachable body makes for some fantastic sipping during those cold late fall nights. This beer just screamed Vermont to me. I nominate this as the official state beer!

3.35/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with foiled-over silver pry-off unbranded pressure cap acquired in a trade with the gracious ICCULIS and served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof; this is me first Lawson's beer and I've heard nothing but fantastic things about the brewery. 8% ABV confirmed. I dig the simple no-nonsense label art. Unpasteurized and unfiltered - I like that.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. Not paired with food.

A: Pours a head of one finger height and healthy khaki colour. Good creaminess and attractive soft complexion. Good thickness and retention - about 3-4 minutes. Nice supple lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Even and consistent. No "legs" here.

Body colour is difficult to describe; it's a glowing murky caramel-brown with orange-peach hues. Some mild translucence, but it's nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Certainly appears unfiltered, but I wouldn't call it hazy or cloudy.

Looking good for a "maple ale." I'm content to review as an Herbed / Spiced beer as is currently listed, but I'm not going to very stringent as this style is sort of a rubbish catch-all anyway.

Sm: Rich maple wood and maple syrup - but real true syrup, not the crap you buy in the store. It's evocative yet subtle; I'm liking where this is going. Mellow nuts - perhaps hazelnut or walnut. The nuts and syrup blend well together in an attractive cohesive melange. Brown sugar. Perhaps birchwood. No alcohol or yeast character is detectable. Any hop character is minimal in strength and likely merely there as a preservative. Some cream. Subtle and below average in terms of strength. Brown malts. Light breadiness. Light fleeting cidery notes. As it warms somewhat, I get a bit of subtle spice; I'm terrible at guessing spices but I'd wager one of them is nutmeg. Not getting clove. Some toffee and caramel. I like the execution here, and as it warms I uncover more and more complexity. Really excited to try it.

T: Hm. Pleasant maple syrup is indeed the first thing I notice; it's spread throughout and supported by a pleasant unobtrusive brown malt bready foundation. Good body here. Slight cream. Brown sugar evenly sprinkled throughout. The spicing is subtle; maybe some buried nutmeg? Some woody (mainly maple) undertones. The nuttiness is buried, if present - certainly not as evocative as it was in the aroma. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Overall, it's an approachable well balanced flavour profile with interesting complexity - albeit less than promised by the aroma. I do like it, and there's some mild subtlety here, but I'm not blown away like I hoped to be given Lawson's' reputation. Very likable interesting stuff and unconventionally executed; I'm not convinced it's best examined as an "Herbed / Spiced beer," but there's intriguing experimentation here and it doesn't fit neatly into any style I've had before per se. It delivers on its concept - it's indeed a maple-driven ale. I just wish it brought a bit more to the table. Any hopping is unnoticeable.

Mf: Good carbonation. Smooth and wet. Not as syrupy as you might expect, and it never comes off too thick or overbearing. Nice presence on the palate. Suits the flavour profile generally well, facilitating flavour delivery more than adequately. Not oily, harsh, or biting. Not crisp. Unrefreshing.

Dr: I guess this is one of Lawson's more available offerings? I'm far from blown away, but I'm not unimpressed. The beer overall isn't incredible, but based on this alone I do think Lawson's is a promising brewery to investigate. Would I get this again? Maybe in the right mood. It might even develop a bit with age. But the complexity, subtlety, and balance I look for in truly great beers just isn't here to full bore. I'm glad I got to try this and I'm far from disappointed, but I'm not able to get a good read on whether or not Lawson's reputation as an amazing brewery is justified. I like what I'm seeing, but I need more. A drinkable brew overall with intriguing experimentation, but nothing to write home about. Certainly worth checking out, but I wouldn't recommend it to friends or go out of my way to track it down. Pleasant mellow stuff. Thanks again, ICCULIS!

If I had to guess/impose the style, I'd go with American Strong Ale. Definitely doesn't come off like an "Herbed / Spiced Beer."

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First had: bottle from Warren Store, Warren, VT

Poured into a Heady Topper stemless snifter, a clearish maple brown color (appropriately), with a finger or so of foamy white head that receded to a wispy layer, leaving some short-lived lacing on the glass. Woody aroma, bready, with hints of maple. I've learned from homebrewing that maple is an extremely difficult sugar to work with, and after the yeast noms it up, it's hard to get any maple aroma or flavor remnants, so all things considered, the maple in the nose was adequate. Taste was similar to the smell, woody, bready malts, caramel, maple was more subtle at first, but came out more as the palate adjusted, moderate earthy hops, and a decent booze kick for a dry finish. Medium body, tasty, very good overall. Just don't go in expecting to get a pure glass of gooey sweet maple syrup booze.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

From 12/12/10 notes. Had at a local tasting thanks to Thorpe429; thanks for sharing this one Mike.

a - Pours a mahogany amber color and one inch of white fluffy head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of caramel malts, maple, molasses, fruit, and a hint of alcohol.

t - Tastes of caramel malts and maple again up front, and then wheat, fruit, sugar, molasses, and alcohol. More alcohol than the smell.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - A decent spiced beer but something in the taste was a little weird to me. I enjoyed the smell but not the taste as much. Probably wouldn't seek it out again but would give another try if I came across it.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Thanks to stowehop for snagging a couple of these for me - I know how tough it is to get any Lawson's. Served in a tumbler. This was Batch 131, Bottler 45.

A - Pours with a finger of white foam that dissipates to a jagged ring and some haze. Some spotty lace is left behind. The body looks like Type B Maple Syrup - a transparent darker brown.

S - Belgian yeast, light toasted grains, a touch of maple syrup, and a mix of spices. Nowhere near as maple-heavy as I'd expect from the name. Quite wit or tripel-like in fact.

T - The taste is a bit muddled, with more zesty bitterness and even less overt maple character. Malt is also a bit too understated, leading to too much spice and bitterness. Can't taste any alcohol thankfully.

M - There's a little heat on the back end, but otherwise it's pretty solid. Seems a bit light in body for 9%, but the body is otherwise smooth with lower carbonation.

D - Decent, but not a Lawson's offering I'd seek out again. Looking forward to the beers made with actual maple/bourbon barrels.

3.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a medium amber in color with some orange, copper, and red highlights along with a light amount of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall light tan head that slowly reduces to a couple of small patches with a very thin film covering the majority of the surface and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Overall this is a light to medium aroma with some sweet bready malts with a touch of caramel, toffee, and maple syrup. Just a touch of woodiness.

T: There is a moderate to strong amount of malty sweetness to this brew including brown sugar, caramel, and maple syrup with just a touch of toffee. The beer is sweet but not cloying at all and there is a bready backbone to it all. Slightly earthy...

M: Slightly less than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly creamy with a touch of alcohol heat in the finish.

O: I was a little disappointed, I was really hoping for a lot more maple presence to this beer (especially with it being called maple nipple). It was an interesting and fairly unique beer but nothing out of this world. Alcohol is fairly well hidden for this big a beer.

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

Beer shared by Thorpe, thanks.

Beer is amber with a big white head of medium bubbles and moderate carbonation. Some lacing is left behind.

Beer smells like maple and malt / molasses. Nice.

Beer has an almost nutty quality to it, lots of maple, lots of sweetness, and some alcohol in the front half. The beer overall is medium in body and has low carbonation on the palate. The finish is a little dry but not overly so. Interesting, it's a good beer for the ingredients, a little too hot but overall a decent beer.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Review from random scribbled papers I thought I lost. This sampling took place at the same time mentioned by Ffej. Thanks to Jason for sharing on 4/2/11. Bottle 21, batch 152 poured into a mini snifter.

This brew appears a hazed orange, almost brown color. A creamy head retains fairly decent and provides a coating of huge, leggy lace that finds a place to stick all over the glassware.

The smell of the brew was quite sweet which to me initially smelled very candy-like. After thinking more about it, maple makes sense but it didn't have that specific scent about it that screamed maple. The grainy aspect of this brew comes across very fresh and enjoyable.

The taste of this brew again is quite fresh and grainy with a sweetness I associate initially as being candy-like but again, a maple incorporation makes sense. A little toasted malt comes through as it warms with a light spiced aspect that is somewhat like orange zest.

This is a medium bodied brew with a nearly full feel. It boasts a light level of carbonation but is easy drinking. It is my understanding that maple sugar is highly fermentable, that didn't seem to be the case with this beer. If it was a little more attenuated I couldn't have easily drank more but as-is, it lends itself as a very sweet desert offering.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

A: Orange in color and slightly hazy with about a half inch of white head that leaves a thin sheet of lacing behind.

S: Malt, maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar.

T: I estimate that this beer tastes exactly as intended. Of course this beer was brewed in Vermont,home of the best maple syrup in the nation. The beer is sweet, with flavors of maple syrup, molasses, and brown sugar.

M: Very sweet, with a medium body and moderately low carbonation.

D: An interesting idea and well done, but still not very drinkable. Enjoyable in very small quantities. I'm glad I got to try this unique brew.

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bomber, Bottle 95, Rare batch 156. Purchased at the Warren Store.

Pours medium honey amber, hazed, khaki head, long lasting, frothy, high quality looking all the way, leaves tongues of sheeting and nice looking stands and bits of lace. Nice looking brew. Silky smooth, rich and chewy

The sniff reveals waves of sweet malt, honey, vanilla.

Flavorful, super smooth, maltolicious offering. Maple, vanilla, honey all noted. Smoke, wood undertones. Softly biting hops come in late.

Luxorious fall/winter offering. Well crafted, delicious, understated yet bold, mild yet heady at 9%. Well worth seeking out.

3.12/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep copper with a decent off white head. Chunky collar. Clear body.

Smell - Bland aroma. Mapley. Slightly metallic aroma.

Taste - Much more mapley. Sweet and caramely. A little too sweet. No bitterness. No complexity. Kinda blah also.

Mouthfeel - Sweet and then dries out just a touch. Needs it.

Overall - Very uninspired. I like maple beer, but this is dull.

2.87/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Enjoyed this beer at the dive.

A - Poured into a tulip a dark clear light brown hue with a light thin blanket that fades to leave a thin light blanket and left a thin halo.

S - Aromas of maple dog? Really maple acrid dampness. Ugh.

T - Taste is light maple, metallic, malts caramel, awful.

M - Mouthfeel is lightly carved and faintly drinkable.

O - Overall I was somewhat disappointed by this beer. Faint maple, more metallic than anything.

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

22 oz foiled bottle, big thanks to MasterSki for the hookup. Rare batch 131, bottle #43.

Pours a crystal clear and very bright orange/reddish, some amber highlights, thick slightly off white head forms and settles down to a medium sized ring and layer around the glass, some lace chunks stick, looks pretty good.

Smell is neat, very sweet and malty, candi sugar, some caramel, a touch of maple syrup, very fruity, strawberry jam, a touch of citrus, orange marmalade, lightly herbal, pretty neat if simple aroma.

Taste is really neat, big and fruity, very sweet but not cloying, some maple sap, strawberry jam, fruit gum, orange marmalade, a bit of toast and biscuit, caramel, golden raisins, a bit of treacle/corn syrup in the finish, really big.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low to medium carbonation, a touch of warmth but alcohol is really well hidden. Not really any maple character but a pretty unique beer. Thanks Alex!

I got this bottle in a BIF, thanks Greg! Very excited to try a Lawson's creation, been wanting to for a while. This is from Rare Batch 156, bottle 15.

Nice looking bottle for starters, the gold foil adheres to the glass as if glue was applied. Popping the cap, the beer pours a light copper color, very hazed looking with a thin off-white foam that settles quickly. Good aroma, maple syrup is strong and maybe a little reminiscent of Life & Limb. Hints of alcohol in the background, but other than that it's hard to pick out any "beer" smells. The malts are silent and I suspect hops were added for bittering only, nothing late in the process for aroma (only my guess).

This tastes unique, definitely a lot of maple syrup character, sweet but not over-the-top, with a sort of sticky mouthfeel as well. That defines it more or less, really no counterplay from malts, just clean pale malts I suppose. I can't taste the alcohol but the burn comes through in the upper digestive system, making it a sipper. Rich and delicious, a good night cap of a beer.

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%

Thanks to Sean for this 22oz bottle poured in a perfect pint glass... This pours a clear medium copper with about a full finger of off white head. Good retention leaves a solid ring, ok lacing... the aroma is light and sweet. Maple is the main note throughout, also some honey. Boring... The taste is borderline bad slight maple, stale wet grains, medicinal and flat. This just doesn't taste very good, not appealing or new. I had a tough time drinking my pour.

Pass on this.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to imagineiii for a box full of Lawson's. As an avowed maple syrup fan, I just had to have one of these. Batch #186, bottle 30.

Looks a lot more like maple syrup than I thought it would, somehow I was expecting a dark beer; no idea why. Deep, burnished copper. Smell is more nutty than mapley.

Maple Nipple is sweet without leaning on the sugary warmth of malts, which is odd. The maple is understated; I was hoping for more strength in the syrup. Small caramel tastes, a few hops, sugar, malts underneath it all. Fairly simple & straightforward. Drinkable for the amount of alcohol, which is well-hidden.

One of the strangest beers I've tasted in a while; not what I expected, much more subtle, which is a bit of a lost art. Good beer, & I'm growing fonder of Lawson's with each bottle we pop.

2.94/5  rDev -19.9%

A - Nice amber colored beer with nice carbonation bubbles moving up the glass. Good sized head with some nice lace.

S - Caramel malts, maple syrup, really kind of a one note thing here.

T - The maple definately comes through here with some caramel and toffee malts. Overly sweet with little complexity, this really isn't that good.

M - Smooth, slightly sugary, with moderate carbonation.

D - Kind of hard to drink as it's too sweet and not really all that good. I'll pass on this.

3.72/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes over the weekend. Glad to finally be able to try some Lawson's beers after a few years of missing out on them. Skinny Pancake, Montpelier.

A- Poured into the Lawson's tulip with a dark red body and a small fizzy off-white head. Head falls to a ring quickly with spotty lace.

S- Fruity almost apple and cherry feel. Pretty laid back for an 8 (9?)% beer. Some caramel and grain in the background.

T- Reminds me of a rye beer I once made. Has good toasty nutty malt flavors but once again I find apple and cherry fruit flavors to be stronger. Just a balanced, strong ale to me. Maple is there but not really sweet and more dark and earthy than what you would typically get from maple syrup flavor, real syrup is probably used here.

MF- Silky moderately thick body. Carbonation is high but supports the balanced flavor well. Slight bitterness in the finish.

A balanced and relaxed strong ale for me. Not a maple bomb I expected but more refined, still solid and very drinkable for the ABV.

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Bomber (Batch #169, bottle #47) into a Weyerbacher tulip, shared at a tasting hosted by HopStoopid120. Thanks again, Tony!

A: Hazy reddish-orange body with a finger of creamy off-white head. Decent retention and excellent lace. Attractive.

S: Weird. Sweet malt, maple, and some faintly herbal hops. Ok, but not especially enticing.

T: Opens with pure caramel malt, then finishes with pure maple essence. Surprisingly dry finish. Simple, unique, and tasty.

M: Soft medium body with light carbonation. Fine.

D: Considering that maple and caramel are basically the only flavors, it's really not overly sweet. Pretty drinkable, with no really booze presence.

Notes: My expectations for this one weren't too high, since I experience firsthand the horror that was Lawson's Maple on Brett at NotF. I'm happy to report that the Nipple was a far nicer thing to taste, as instead of tasting like moldy dirt and syrup-soaked gym socks, it provided a distinct (yet somehow seamless) transition from malt to maple, coupled with an astonishingly dry, clean finish. I won't be driving to Warren to seek this one out, but I'd gladly drink it again.

Maple Nipple Ale from Lawson's Finest Liquids