Maple Nipple Ale - Lawson's Finest Liquids

good

Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Our hearty Vermont Maple ale is a unique and tasty brew loaded with local maple syrup and a kick!

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-06-2009)
t0rin0

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

10-20-2012 03:21:22 | More by t0rin0
UCLABrewN84

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to queens1130 for sharing this one at drewone's tasting.

Pours a clear dark orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, maple, spices, and alcohol. Taste is much the same with a mild spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but the maple doesn't really come out all that much in my opinion.

12-03-2012 21:48:11 | More by UCLABrewN84
djrn2

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

12-21-2012 00:49:16 | More by djrn2
Thorpe429

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Served in a snifter.

Pours a moderate copper color with a half-finger of white head. A moderate amount of a white head and a bit of a thin collar as it goes down. The nose brings some slight maple character. Very faint indeed. There is a bit of sweet grain and some brown sugar there as well. The taste is slight molasses and brown sugar in addition to a bit of maple character. Medium body with pretty good carbonation. Not my favorite Lawson's beer, though glad I got to pick this bottle up.

12-19-2010 23:48:09 | More by Thorpe429
acurtis

12-20-2012 01:58:10 | More by acurtis
womencantsail

3.45/5  rDev -7%

Bottle thanks to Todd.

A: The beer pours amber in color with an off-white head.

S: Sweet maple and bread are pretty much it on this one. It's exceedingly simple. There might be a touch of apple and pear, maybe some woody notes and toffee.

T: Like the nose, most of the character is just sweetness. A fair bit of sugar, toffee, and brown sugar with perhaps some toasted bread. Despite being so high gravity, it's a little bit watery.

M: Medium in body with medium carbonation.

O: Nothing offensive or repulsive, just boring, bland, and uninteresting.

09-13-2011 18:32:33 | More by womencantsail

Connecticut

11-17-2011 05:28:31 | More by JAHMUR
largadeer

1.58/5  rDev -57.4%

Bubba83 opened a bomber of this. Thanks, Kevin.

Copper colored, the body is cloudy, almost opaque. A small head forms and retains pretty well.

Maple, toast and oxidation on the nose. A lot of cardboard. This smells very off, oxidation is overwhelming.

Palate is also dominated by cardboard, really oxidized and stale with a bit of maple behind it. A little toasted bitterness comes through in the finish, and an odd medicinal flavor. The body is thin. This is pretty bad.

11-18-2010 02:54:26 | More by largadeer
SocalKicks

06-18-2013 05:31:05 | More by SocalKicks
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Thanks to stowehop for snagging a couple of these for me - I know how tough it is to get any Lawson's. Served in a tumbler. This was Batch 131, Bottler 45.

A - Pours with a finger of white foam that dissipates to a jagged ring and some haze. Some spotty lace is left behind. The body looks like Type B Maple Syrup - a transparent darker brown.

S - Belgian yeast, light toasted grains, a touch of maple syrup, and a mix of spices. Nowhere near as maple-heavy as I'd expect from the name. Quite wit or tripel-like in fact.

T - The taste is a bit muddled, with more zesty bitterness and even less overt maple character. Malt is also a bit too understated, leading to too much spice and bitterness. Can't taste any alcohol thankfully.

M - There's a little heat on the back end, but otherwise it's pretty solid. Seems a bit light in body for 9%, but the body is otherwise smooth with lower carbonation.

D - Decent, but not a Lawson's offering I'd seek out again. Looking forward to the beers made with actual maple/bourbon barrels.

06-23-2010 00:59:46 | More by MasterSki
Kegatron

4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

22 oz foiled topped bomber into a couple of snifters. This was from Batch #152 Bottle # 57.

Pours a hazed, rose-hued amber, topped with a tight finger of creamy off-white head. This retains with a thin layer of bubbly froth, which just rings the sides with robust foamy lacing. The aroma is VERY smooth in the nose, with the sugary and slightly roasted character of the molasses mixing with a rather robust fruitiness from some citric hops. Notes of bread and some caramel round out the back. You can just tell that this is heavy from the way it sits in the nose but the flavors keeps a silkiness to them that I'm digging.

The taste is sweet up front, with a backbone of bread and caramel. There is definitely an aggressive bitter edge to this from the hops, along with some quite flavorful fresh citric notes of orange and lemon. The molasses is not overdone at all and a has a bit of a burnt roastiness of it's own going on, as it mostly stretches through whole way through but is REALLY coming out to me in a flush across the back end of the profile. The finish is a combo of dry, roasty, bitter, and earthy but it's the residual sugars from the molasses that linger the most. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a crisp yet creamy feel that is equal parts lively and bubbly on the tongue. I just can't stress enough though how ridiculously smooth and easy this is for a 9% beer. No alcohol is detected whatsoever and I would have never guessed how big this was, except for the warmth that slowly started to creep across my face as I was working on this.

Wow, this was a VERY pleasant surprise that slowly worked its magic on me and a buddy as we got through two bottles of this. I think that this is one of those beers that you have to "get" and this completely worked for me. I loved how the molasses worked with the bright citric fruit notes and that big but approachable body makes for some fantastic sipping during those cold late fall nights. This beer just screamed Vermont to me. I nominate this as the official state beer!

12-16-2010 20:55:48 | More by Kegatron
drabmuh

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Beer shared by Thorpe, thanks.

Beer is amber with a big white head of medium bubbles and moderate carbonation. Some lacing is left behind.

Beer smells like maple and malt / molasses. Nice.

Beer has an almost nutty quality to it, lots of maple, lots of sweetness, and some alcohol in the front half. The beer overall is medium in body and has low carbonation on the palate. The finish is a little dry but not overly so. Interesting, it's a good beer for the ingredients, a little too hot but overall a decent beer.

12-19-2010 21:43:35 | More by drabmuh
Rifugium

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%

First had: bottle from Warren Store, Warren, VT

Poured into a Heady Topper stemless snifter, a clearish maple brown color (appropriately), with a finger or so of foamy white head that receded to a wispy layer, leaving some short-lived lacing on the glass. Woody aroma, bready, with hints of maple. I've learned from homebrewing that maple is an extremely difficult sugar to work with, and after the yeast noms it up, it's hard to get any maple aroma or flavor remnants, so all things considered, the maple in the nose was adequate. Taste was similar to the smell, woody, bready malts, caramel, maple was more subtle at first, but came out more as the palate adjusted, moderate earthy hops, and a decent booze kick for a dry finish. Medium body, tasty, very good overall. Just don't go in expecting to get a pure glass of gooey sweet maple syrup booze.

11-01-2012 04:44:55 | More by Rifugium
oline73

Maryland

3.28/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orangish amber with a half finger of off white head that fades to a ring with very mild lacing.

Smell: Quite sweet and malty. I'm picking up some brown sugar and a mild apple smell. There is also some alcohol.

Taste: Malty and a bit sweet with a fairly strong bitterness throughout. The finish contains some brown sugar and maple as well as some alcohol. Not bad, but not nearly as interesting as I had hoped.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thick side of medium and a little bit sticky. The carbonation is tingly and the finish is dry.

Overall: I wanted this to be spectacular, but it was just alright. Oh well, still not bad.

11-17-2011 02:05:47 | More by oline73
mdfb79

3.45/5  rDev -7%

From 12/12/10 notes. Had at a local tasting thanks to Thorpe429; thanks for sharing this one Mike.

a - Pours a mahogany amber color and one inch of white fluffy head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of caramel malts, maple, molasses, fruit, and a hint of alcohol.

t - Tastes of caramel malts and maple again up front, and then wheat, fruit, sugar, molasses, and alcohol. More alcohol than the smell.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - A decent spiced beer but something in the taste was a little weird to me. I enjoyed the smell but not the taste as much. Probably wouldn't seek it out again but would give another try if I came across it.

12-16-2010 20:28:24 | More by mdfb79
DrunkinYogi

Connecticut

12-08-2013 14:33:08 | More by DrunkinYogi
kojevergas

3.34/5  rDev -10%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with foiled-over silver pry-off unbranded pressure cap acquired in a trade with the gracious ICCULIS and served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof; this is me first Lawson's beer and I've heard nothing but fantastic things about the brewery. 8% ABV confirmed. I dig the simple no-nonsense label art. Unpasteurized and unfiltered - I like that.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. Not paired with food.

A: Pours a head of one finger height and healthy khaki colour. Good creaminess and attractive soft complexion. Good thickness and retention - about 3-4 minutes. Nice supple lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Even and consistent. No "legs" here.

Body colour is difficult to describe; it's a glowing murky caramel-brown with orange-peach hues. Some mild translucence, but it's nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Certainly appears unfiltered, but I wouldn't call it hazy or cloudy.

Looking good for a "maple ale." I'm content to review as an Herbed / Spiced beer as is currently listed, but I'm not going to very stringent as this style is sort of a rubbish catch-all anyway.

Sm: Rich maple wood and maple syrup - but real true syrup, not the crap you buy in the store. It's evocative yet subtle; I'm liking where this is going. Mellow nuts - perhaps hazelnut or walnut. The nuts and syrup blend well together in an attractive cohesive melange. Brown sugar. Perhaps birchwood. No alcohol or yeast character is detectable. Any hop character is minimal in strength and likely merely there as a preservative. Some cream. Subtle and below average in terms of strength. Brown malts. Light breadiness. Light fleeting cidery notes. As it warms somewhat, I get a bit of subtle spice; I'm terrible at guessing spices but I'd wager one of them is nutmeg. Not getting clove. Some toffee and caramel. I like the execution here, and as it warms I uncover more and more complexity. Really excited to try it.

T: Hm. Pleasant maple syrup is indeed the first thing I notice; it's spread throughout and supported by a pleasant unobtrusive brown malt bready foundation. Good body here. Slight cream. Brown sugar evenly sprinkled throughout. The spicing is subtle; maybe some buried nutmeg? Some woody (mainly maple) undertones. The nuttiness is buried, if present - certainly not as evocative as it was in the aroma. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Overall, it's an approachable well balanced flavour profile with interesting complexity - albeit less than promised by the aroma. I do like it, and there's some mild subtlety here, but I'm not blown away like I hoped to be given Lawson's' reputation. Very likable interesting stuff and unconventionally executed; I'm not convinced it's best examined as an "Herbed / Spiced beer," but there's intriguing experimentation here and it doesn't fit neatly into any style I've had before per se. It delivers on its concept - it's indeed a maple-driven ale. I just wish it brought a bit more to the table. Any hopping is unnoticeable.

Mf: Good carbonation. Smooth and wet. Not as syrupy as you might expect, and it never comes off too thick or overbearing. Nice presence on the palate. Suits the flavour profile generally well, facilitating flavour delivery more than adequately. Not oily, harsh, or biting. Not crisp. Unrefreshing.

Dr: I guess this is one of Lawson's more available offerings? I'm far from blown away, but I'm not unimpressed. The beer overall isn't incredible, but based on this alone I do think Lawson's is a promising brewery to investigate. Would I get this again? Maybe in the right mood. It might even develop a bit with age. But the complexity, subtlety, and balance I look for in truly great beers just isn't here to full bore. I'm glad I got to try this and I'm far from disappointed, but I'm not able to get a good read on whether or not Lawson's reputation as an amazing brewery is justified. I like what I'm seeing, but I need more. A drinkable brew overall with intriguing experimentation, but nothing to write home about. Certainly worth checking out, but I wouldn't recommend it to friends or go out of my way to track it down. Pleasant mellow stuff. Thanks again, ICCULIS!

If I had to guess/impose the style, I'd go with American Strong Ale. Definitely doesn't come off like an "Herbed / Spiced Beer."

B-