Bourbon Barrel Aged Fayston Maple Imperial Stout - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Bourbon Barrel Aged Fayston Maple Imperial StoutBourbon Barrel Aged Fayston Maple Imperial Stout

Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 07-16-2010)
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Bottle 71 of 350, sent by sholland119 as part of the Blind Beers BIF. This was poured into my Bruery tulip and reviewed blind.

First, a review written by the lady: "It tastes like a beer. Red wine-ish. Probs a Pinot or some shit like dat. It's not my favorite cuz it's kind of sour. I wish it had more malt. It's brown. Can I be done now? This is not my forte. I suck at this. Also, you are very handsome. That is all."

Isn't she great? Here's my review:

Oily, syrupy, abyssal black. This is menacing. A sticky, half-finger head the color of cinnamon rises from the depths slowly.

Chocolatey nose. Milk chocolate, chocolate syrup, cocoa nibs. A little oak, some red wine grape and barrel notes. Lots of alcohol as well.

The flavor: malted chocolate spiked with vanilla vodka. A hint of green apple, fruity oak. Very grape-heavy. A little too fruity and alcoholic. Maybe some maple and vanilla.

Body is medium, not as heavy as expected, but fairly oily. Mild, tingly carbonation. A good amount of tongue-numbing alcohol.

This brew was a longtime want, and I expected to like it a lot more than I did. Definitely get the oak, don't get a lot of the maple or bourbon. Sad, yet eye-opening.

3.91/5  rDev -6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed blind as part of Blind BIF 8, courtesy of Auror. Poured into a tulip.

A - The pour is dark brown, but it settles to a solid black in the glass. Not much head, and the finger or so that was there to start quickly dropped to a thin ring.

S - There is definitely some oak and whiskey influence here. Sweet, dark fruits, with some caramel, booze, and maybe a touch of smoke.

T - Roasted malt takes a surprising lead over the barrel, but there's still prominent oak and some bourbon. It's somewhat dry for a big, barrel-aged stout (I'm guessing that's what this is), but there's still a sweet malt backbone in there among the roast.

M - Thinner than I'd like for a stout, which is probably related to its being drier than most stouts. Not much carbonation, and only a hint of booze in the finish.

Overall, it's slightly unusual; I think the brewers were aiming for a different sort of balance than your standard BA stout, but it works nicely!

Non-blind comments: Either I am incapable of detecting maple in beer, or maple syrup doesn't actually contribute much flavor after the yeast have had their way with it... Regardless, it's a delicious beer, and I'm liking it even more with every sip.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Many thanks to baconsausage for sending this along quite a while ago, one of very few beers that I've been reluctant to open...Maple Barrel Faytson's was one of my top 3 beers. Ever. So this comes with some lofty expectations. 750ML bottle, #58 of 350, split with my wife.

Pour is a rather aggressive dark with a wind-whipped head. The aroma slips past my nose hair as deep, rich chocolate, lovely sweetness that may be the maple. background of vanilla & bourbon. That, my friends, is how you open up a beer.

Fayston Maple Imperial Stout - Bourbon Aged...it doesn't lift me straight into orgasmic ecstasy. But. More roast than in the nose, which is the primary component. Bourbon & vanilla creep up as a secondary push, along with lovely maple sweetness that seems to seep into the skin of my mouth & pleasure my tongue. Chocolate arrives late but sticks around like a good plate of cookies...when you're alone in the house. Mouthfeel is straight-on creamy. Sucking this down like a 4.3% pale ale. Which it ain't.

Doesn't reach the heights of one of my all-time favorites, but this is an excellent beer. I hope Lawson's starts pumping these Fayston beers out by the metric ton, because I'd take a swimming pool full or two.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours deep black with a thin, brownish head.

S-The nose is great. Delectably sweet chocolate notes with rich java, barrel character and noticeable maple highlights. Sweet with complexity but balanced by roast.

T-This tastes excellent. The maple flavor is clear, well integrated and set to the perfect intensity. Barrel notes are another complement. Sweet chocolate fudge, oaky booze and rich roast.

M-Creamy and mildly viscous. Heat on the back end. Sticky and pleasant.

O/D-Yeah, Lawson's can make more than just hoppy beers. This was one of the better Stouts I have had in a while. Loads of delicious flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%