2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Double Sunshine IPADouble Sunshine IPA

Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010)
View: Beers (48) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,322 | Reviews: 276 | Show All Ratings:
Givemebeer

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Golden slightly hazy beautiful white head nice lacing

S: Just an overwhelming amount of citrus and tropical scents in the nose this jumps out at you

T: Kiwi, melon, grapefruit, berries just every tropical fruit you can imagine soothing your taste buds before fading to a biscuity refreshing malt character and very little bitterness.

M: Medium bodied and fairly dry

O: World class. Had this just before Heady and preferred this. Just an incredible beer. Preferred by me over Pliny as well.

04-17-2014 18:23:14 | More by Givemebeer
maxcoinage

4.6/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - Bomber to snifter, 2 finger white head left some soapy lacing, color is orange/yellowish , a bit cloudy

s - citrus and tropical fruits combine with some resinous hop notes to make a wonderful aroma

t - the taste starts off with similar flavors as were present in the aroma, a bit of malty sweetness comes through but is balanced out with a hoppy bite that sends you off with a lingering bitter finish

m - great carbonation and a medium to strong body, dry finish

o - A world class beer no doubt Many thanks to @dwduncan2 for hooking me up with this! I am definitely glad I got to try this and would recommend seeking it out to try at least once. However, don't know if I personally would go through much trouble to acquire again, whereas I will definitely be seeking out Heady Topper many more times!

04-13-2014 19:21:16 | More by maxcoinage
centex-brewer

4.38/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance - Hazy golden appearance

Smell - Bright, clean citrus nose

Taste - Nice citrusy hop forward taste with a great malt backbone

Mouthfeel - Clean and concise presence in the mouth

Overall - This is a beer I've only ever seen reviews and heard about. I was finally able to obtain these from the Warren Store on the Thursday release day. I was very excited to try this and was not under-whelmed by this beer. It pours a very nice hazy golden color with a nice citrus aroma. The balance and malty support of this beer in the mouth makes it fantastic.

04-12-2014 03:45:44 | More by centex-brewer
leveejr

4.78/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle received in trade. Pours a slight murky golden color. Nose is a big herbal, resiny, and fruity smell. Taste is similar with the slightly bitter herbal and resiny taste but with sweet fruit notes. Overall one of the best IIPA's I've ever had. Can't find a fault with it honestly

04-07-2014 13:26:33 | More by leveejr
Tmyhre802

4.83/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had the pleasure of having it on both tap and from the bottle. First off let me say the drive to the warren country store and fighting the line is definitely worth it. Like others have said it is the exact opposite of heady topper but in the best way.

04-04-2014 22:01:24 | More by Tmyhre802
mynie

Indiana

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

This is the exact opposite of Heady. Do not drink this directly from the container. Good god, if you never listen to another word I say please pay attention now: do not drink this direct from the bottle. You will deprive yourself of the most heavenly IPA aroma any American brewer has ever before created.

Aside from the aroma, it's an excellent example of its style and one of the 20 or so best beers I've ever had.

04-03-2014 01:01:16 | More by mynie
thesocialdrinker

4.86/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had the pleasure to drink Dbl Sunshine on tap at Mad River Glen in VT after a great day of skiing. This was the best the beer had ever tasted. Beautiful mandrine orange/gold appearance with a light fluffy mouthfeel and perfect notes of hoppy citrus. This batch put Double Sunshine ahead of Heady Topper for me...that good!

03-31-2014 03:38:58 | More by thesocialdrinker
hillvt4me

3.95/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Pours a golden orange with a white foamy head that dissipates quickly. Solid lacing all down the sides.

S: tropical fruit including pineapple and grapefruit. There was pine and light bready note.

T: Grapefruitand, papaya, pine and ETOH are prominent. bready notes.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: I've been fortunate to have had this beer approx a dozen times. While solid, this particular bottle was the least balanced. Bought at Montpelier farmers market early March.

03-29-2014 00:13:52 | More by hillvt4me
kgncfl

4.61/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this for my CBS. Craft Beer Sunday for March Madness.

Poured into a tulip glass, along with some great friends. Bottle was less than a week old, so it was super fresh.

A- Poured more yellow than orange, poured to a one finger head that held its own. Less opaque than the average DIPA.

S- Started subtle with a hint of pine, closed with a moderate pineapple scent. A very unique and smooth experience.

T- Hops hit you semi-hard, but very consistent over time. Bitterness comes, and holds with a very grapefruit flavor, extremely pleasant experience. One could even say calming.

M-Very crisp for an DIPA, and extremely smooth.

This was not too hard and not too soft. The Goldilocks of DIPAs. A top ten for sure.

03-25-2014 01:06:02 | More by kgncfl
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

4.2/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Many thanks to Dereck for sending a couple bottles of this.

The beer pours a slightly hazy orange amber color with good head retention and light lacing. The nose is interesting in this beer, and not what I was expecting. There is a LOT of tropical fruit on the nose, with mango, papaya, peach and cherry. There is some underlying pine and orange citrus as well, just enough to let you know this won't be hot mess of a malt bomb. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, though as expected, there is enough hoppy bitterness to counter all the tropical fruit and malt in this beer. This beer is really a mouthfill, and I get almost something of a dry honey flavor in the midpalate as well. The mouthfeel is almost dense in this beer, and is very full, especially for a DIPA. Alcohol is generally well integrated into the flavor profile, though there was a hint of heat from the alcohol at the very end of the finish.

A very nice beer, no doubt, though I'm not quite sure I understand the top 10 ranking. This sort of reminds of masala mama on steroids, and while delicious, it's really not in the same league with Heady Topper, Hop Slam or the two pliny's. Regardless, this a delicious IPA, and one I'm very glad to have finanlly had the chance to try.

03-17-2014 18:12:28 | More by johnmichaelsen
weiserr

Connecticut

4.74/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'll preface the review by saying that if you're a beer enthusiast and Vermont is within driving distance, albeit a trek, the hours spent in the car are worth the price of admission. Is it a double sunshine, or is it a solar flare in liquid form that just emptied into my Surly pint? Either way, this unfiltered masterpiece is looking more like a mimosa than a glass of beer. There's enough residual lace on my glass to give a dendrochronologist a beergasm. The nose on this (for me) is pretty straightforward: Juicy Fruit chewing gum and fresh cut grass. It tastes like a well-balanced mixture of tropical fruits with just enough malt backbone to give it that perfect kick. Not overly bitter, just exceptionally balanced and masterfully crafted. So smooth; so drinkable; the abv on this one is masked and then some. This is a stellar beer. Lawson's Finest has done what I'm sure numerous other brewers have attempted, but their labor of love is simply put -- better executed. To my fellow hop heads and self-professed IPA lovers, I implore you to seek out this beer. If it were more accessible, it would maintain a permanent residence in my fridge.

Well done.

03-16-2014 22:05:50 | More by weiserr
RBassSFHOPit2ME

4.01/5  rDev -14.1%

Solid beer. Nothing more, nothing less. The hype surrounding this beer, all the "juicy" reviews had me expecting more. Don't get me wrong, good, but not great.

A - beautiful hazy more sunshine lemon than orange. Unfiltered, so as expected.

S - More muted than expected. Aggressive swirl brings out grapefruit rind and a vegetal and earthy component. More impressed with the grassy raw earth component here than the citrus.

T - there is a less than refined and raw earthy hop component to the taste which I can appreciate, although the "tropical juiciness" that everyone raves about is slim to none. The raw and bitter grapefruit rind is trying to shine, followed by lemony orange hints that make their appearance ever so slightly. Honestly, my 4 rating here is borderline generous. I'm slightly confused as to why this is frequently compared to other heavy hitters overly discussed on here.

M - very nice, but not as "sessionable" as others I can think of that share the same ABV. 1/2 way through it gets somewhat mealy. After 22oz, I'm good; which usually isn't the case with most other 8% DIPAs.

O - my trader on this one is awesome, reliable, and I'm assured this is not an old bottle. However, there's no bottle date, so I have no true reference to freshness. All I can say is that I'm glad I've knocked this off my list, but I can think of plenty of year round accessible beers that easily measure up to this one. Don't get me wrong. I'm very appreciative of this trade and opportunity. The coolest thing about this beer is the slogan in the label. "Straight from the green Mountains to your head." My type of people.

03-14-2014 22:09:33 | More by RBassSFHOPit2ME
gueuzedreg

Colorado

4.31/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I thought this beer would be more tropical. I think Lawson's has underwhelmed me on all the expectations I had for their beers.

A- Foggy non-transparent golden. Thick head with no retention.

S- Very mild tropical fruit, with more malty smell than anything.

T- Very sessionable, which is not a good thing when talking about a beer of such magnitude (though Pseudo Sue is sessionable too, but crushes this). Mild tropical fruits (mango, papaya, pineapple).

M- Medium to high grade on this. Thicker than most. Lots of carb follows.

O- I had expectations that this would be the best ever pale that I have had. It was way short of that. I could go shelf local and be just as satisfied. I will take one more look at this, as I just crushed a Godiva Dark Chocolate Bar that my have f*cked with my palate. I will seek out another bottle to look back on

03-01-2014 23:36:47 | More by gueuzedreg
anteater

Oregon

4.78/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22oz bottle

A: Golden orange, slightly hazy

S: Not a punch in the face of hops as you'd expect from most IPAs of this reputation, however the nose is fantastic. Full of mango and peach, there is something very very unique about it.

T: If this isn't the best tasting IPA I've had it may at least be the most unique. Major juicy mango, peach, pineapple fruitiness with some earthy and grassy notes in the background. Hardly any bitterness detectable, hardly any alcohol detectable. There is almost something savory or meaty about it, like biting into the flesh of a mango.

M: Juicy juicy juicy

O: This one is a real winner, I wish it were easier to get.

02-25-2014 16:17:41 | More by anteater
HopHead_44

4.98/5  rDev +6.6%

Had this on Tap at the Three Penny tap room in Montpeliet VT this weekend. Had a hard time decideing between the 3 different hill farmstead offerings, rising tide calcutta cutter, and Heady Topper but i was very happy i choose the Lawsons. To me this beer is a more well rounded heady topper. the taste has alot of simialarities but the mouthfeel of this beer is just so much better. The color was great and the aroma was out of this world. This beer is outstanding. So much going on with this one. Was blessed to get to try it on tap while i was there being the local bevy sold out of there delivery in 45 mins. If you are anywhere in the local viscinity of this beer on tap drop everything and get there if theres any left!

02-24-2014 18:07:36 | More by HopHead_44
WolfBrothers

4.98/5  rDev +6.6%

S- Bomber bottle poured into a snifter
A- Poured this beer in thirds... First pour was Gin clear, 2nd pour was slightly hazy, and the final pour was quite hazy
S- WOW simply amazing! Nuff Said!
T- Super clean, super fresh and outstandingly refreshing!
M- Outstanding!
O- This beer is right there with the best of the best! Everyone likes to compare Pliny the Elder and Heady Topper but in my opinion this is better suited for the Pliny argument! These beers have more similarity. Double Sunshine gets the nod over Pliny in my opinion! Such an amazing beer! This beer is about as close to flawless as you can get! Looking forward to the Triple Sunshine!

02-24-2014 13:26:09 | More by WolfBrothers
PaBrewSki

4.99/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottled around 1/16. Poured from a bottle into a snifter. The appearance is hazy but nothing untypical of an unfiltered DIPA. A fellow taster noted that it's actually pretty clean for being unfiltered. Deep hazy yellow color with bright white head. Smell is of tropical and citrus hops. The taste is the same. Very hoppy yet very balanced. This beer finishes really hoppy yet not too bitter. Hops linger on the tongue reminding you how delicious it is and leaves you wanting more. The perfect Double IPA!

02-10-2014 23:00:04 | More by PaBrewSki
koutkid41

4.53/5  rDev -3%

A: Pours a clear golden orange color with a white foamy head on top, nice retention with streaky lacing all down the sides.

S: I was expecting it to be much more pungent but still very nice. I smell alot of tropical fruit (mango, pineapple) to start then some citrus, orange, and grapefruit. There was a little bit of pine and light caramel. A bit of sweetness as well.

T: Just like the aroma lots of citrus fruit mixed with a little bit of pine. Grapefruit and a big of orange and orange peel. On the back end it get bready malt notes.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, dry on the tongue (love that).

O: Really enjoy this beer but not as in your face as I thought it would be, really nice aroma and flavor that is dry and not really sweet. One of my favorites for sure.

Perfect beer for my #1,000 checkin at Untappd.

02-05-2014 23:43:16 | More by koutkid41
dar482

The beer comes in a hazy dark orange yellow color.

The aroma is hugely hoppy of tropical fruits. Juicy peaches, mango, as well as grapefruit and a bit of pine and earthy herbal and grassiness. Almost a Sunny D juicy or absurdly sweet fruit aroma.

The flavor follows with that tropical fruit and grapefruit citrus note in the front. It goes on and on with juicy tropical, oranges, tangerine, sweet mango, pineapple, passionfruit. Just an onslaught of juicy hops like no other beer. The middle has a light bready honey malt that adds a bit of sweetness. The finish transitions to earthy herbal hoppy and pine notes, fresh and bitter grapefruit peel. A strong bitterness on the finish, but with that "hop juice" flavor throughout.

The oats do this beer a wonder with a viscous, medium plus body that flows beautifully under the tongue.

I had it in a blind taste against Abner and Heady Topper, which I thought was my favorite beer of all time. This is now my favorite beer of all time.

02-02-2014 05:08:01 | More by dar482
Seanniek91

Rhode Island

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

Served from a bomber into an Alchemist Will Becher glass.

Appearance- Moderately clear gold with full foamy two finger head that lingers long leaving great lacing.

Smell- Big pineapple, tangerine, peach, white grape, green apples, vanilla, earthy grass and pine. No booze smell or real malt aromas.

Taste- Flavors of the aromas are present. A soft vanilla mixed with the pine and grass are standing out wonderfully. Finsih is green grapes and nectarines. No hint of booze what so ever.

Mouthfeel- Perfect body for an IPA. Smooth, no heat, medium-full carbonation, nice resinous quality. Super easy drinking.

Overall- The best IPA there is. I had it on tap in the summer at 3 penny and I've been dying to try it again. I wish it was easier to come by.

02-02-2014 00:35:16 | More by Seanniek91
Bosoxfan20

Missouri

4.38/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

S- Pineapple, mango, some grapefruit. Maybe a little more subdued and maltier than expected at first, but this bad boy opens up well when it warms up.

T- Juicy as can be. Straight up tropical goodness. Very smooth as well. Complex and unquestionably balanced for a beer that pack quite a hop punch. Reminds me a lot of Mercenary.

M- Mid body with perfect carbonation. Hop oils make it a little slick. Timely bitterness. Warmth, but not boozy.

O- Not a whole lot of flaws to this one. Lots of bright flavors. Compared side-by-side with Enjoy By 2-14-14. My wife preferred this one, but I would give a slight edge to Enjoy By. Outstanding either way.

01-30-2014 04:24:09 | More by Bosoxfan20
Mikeypnh

New Hampshire

4.83/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

About a Month old. Have had fresh ones and two months old, from what I rememeber I prefer the "aged" one. Let's see how this is. Pours a nice golden yellow, 2 finger bubbly head. The smell is so fruity. Tropical fruits and citrus dominate. The flavor is right there, too. Nice grapefruit and slight pine after taste. Creamy and somewhat thin. Goes down easy with almost no alcohol burn. I remember when fresh the alcohol is not noticeable. This is a great double ipa. It's very hop forward but also balanced nicely, with the malt taking a back seat.

01-29-2014 22:33:23 | More by Mikeypnh
RyanOooh

4.73/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle from Hunger Mountain round Christmas time. From the bottles I've had in the past, this is the first I've wanted to sit on for another month to see what happened. First pour was incredibly clear, golden, bubbly, fat 1.5finger soap bubble head just a bit off white.
Smell is pretty dank and earthy, it actually smells a lot like Northern VT in the summer. Whatever.
Taste is pretty phenomenal, big grapefruit/citrus, hop bite and DIPA sweetness. Pretty earthy when colder. One of the best DIPA flavor profiles. An elusive beer and an extraordinary drink. If you like DIPAs, this is a must for you. Screw hype, get one fresh or well kept for a month and you'll know. Cheers

01-27-2014 23:43:58 | More by RyanOooh
Axnjxn

4.71/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

bomber into a snifter.

light golden color with a majestic head. nose is super resiny but also very fruity. yes. taste is skunky...citrus..guava...resin. oh man. so complex and drinkable. what a flavor profile. medium body, medium carbonation.

overall world class and possibly the best dipa in the world. really.

01-26-2014 05:20:31 | More by Axnjxn
SpasmWaiter

4.66/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I absolutely love this beer. I really can't find fault with it without sounding like some nitpicky douche bag. One of my favorite offerings from Lawson's, and one of my favorite beers on this entire planet of Earth. I only wish Sean would brew it more often.

01-25-2014 01:13:10 | More by SpasmWaiter