Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Double Sunshine IPADouble Sunshine IPA

Wants: 2,381
Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010)
Reviews by AltBock:
4.56/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

22oz. bomber bottle with a simple plain white label and some gold foil over the cap. The label has an oddly shaped but cool looking sun, 8 maple leafs, a brief description of the beer, and the mandatory US info. A bottled on or a best before date would have been nice. A beer this of this quality deserves a special glass so I poured it into my Hunahpu Snifter.

From behind the plain Jane label came a not so ordinary and impressive extremely hazy and pale lemon yellow colored beer. The color was a bit on the odd side, but in a good way. Now I'm seen some hazy Double IPAs in my day, but this one takes the cake. Usually I can see, at a minimum the shadow of my fingers on the other side of the glass. I held the glass up to the light and I couldn't even see that. That's some hazy goodness! Sitting on top of this beer was a 1/2 an inch pearl white head of foam. I was so distracted by the color and the beer's haziness that I didn't see how fast it receded. OOPS! What I can say was that it left behind a thin white film and a nice big fast sting of white rings along the side. Beautiful appearance!

Was this beer brewed in Vermont or the Caribbean? If I based the aroma off where the beer was brewed, I would be forced to say the Caribbean. This hoppy beer is very tropical in the nose. There was a lot going on in the aroma, but some of the main fruit aromas in this beer were the pineapple, grapefruit, and mango. Don't count out the hops! Following the strong whiff of tropical fruits was a nice bitter aroma of citrus hops. This bitter citrus aroma lasted a long time before it through the pine. Pine? What? Who knew that they had pine trees in the Caribbean. A very good hoppy tropical aroma!

If I had to guess where this beer was brewed just off the taste, I would be happy to say that this beer was brewed in the good ol' US of A. I don't think they brew beer this hoppy type of beer down in the Caribbean. This citrus hops were assertive without being over the top. Intermingled with the tasty citrus hops was some tart grapefruit, a splash of lemon, and a pinch of pineapple. The taste wasn't as tropical as the aroma was. The taste was more bitter and citrusy. After the citrus hops and fruits had their fun in the sun, the taste then finishes up with tea leaves and a tiny taste of toasted malt. A very well done not over the top hoppy beer.

This was a medium bodied Double IPA that had a good amount of carbonation and a dry bitter aftertaste. Like the taste, the hops were assertive without being over the top. This hoppy aftertaste lingered on for some time after the sweet nectar left.

This is one of those beers that raises too many questions. What are they doing up in Vermont? Why are their beers so good? What are they doing that the lower 47 states (not including Alaska and Hawaii) aren't doing to their Double IPAs? Overall, this was an extremely well done Double IPA. I would be very happy if I had another bottle. Big thanks to fellow BA mnbuffalo for hooking me up with this winner!

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

I drink this beer regularly as it is on tap at a local restaurant in my town. I have to say it is usually my go-to when I'm there, even though they have Heady Topper, I choose the Double Sunshine mostly because it's harder to get then Heady Topper. Though it is almost an even trade off between Heady Topper.

A - Orange, with a hint of yellow, nice white head, served on-tap in a snifter beer glass, heavenly.

S - Perfect blend of citrus hops, the intense hop aroma is very pronounced in this beer.

T - Oh god, the taste.. I can't talk enough about how amazing the taste of this beer is, the first sip you almost don't know what just happened to your taste buds, was that a grapefruit, or a beer, but in an amazing way. The citrus hops are so intense and so perfectly balanced, it hits all the right spots on your tongue, it's smooth and extreme at the same time.

Overall this is one of the best beers I have the opportunity to drink on a day to day basis. From the moment it leaves the tap, to the last sip of the glass, you'll be happy and satisfied for every second being in the presence of this beer. Lawson's has got a winner in this one.

4.51/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to Josh for bringing this out and offering to share it - this has been one of my top wants for a very long time. Poured out of a 22oz bottle into a mini chalice. Bottling date is about 3 weeks old.

Orange-amber in appearance, with about 2 fingers worth of a frothy white head (more so as the dregs are poured in the bottle). Cloudy overall, but not completely murky - contains a fantastic golden hue that lights up when placed against the light, as well as a greenish tint on the edges. All things considered, this does appear to be in the same league as HT. In other words, it's not the most important aspect that makes up what's to come.

I do love a fresh DIPA, and I especially love it, it seems, when it comes from Vermont. This is truly resinous, dank, flavorful stuff at the nose, but no different than other world class DIPAs I've had in the style. Stone fruit and tropical fruit marry fantastically, providing notes of peaches (freshly cut, in fact), apricots, mangoes, guava, pineapple, green melon, and pine, combined with a toasted (nearly nutty) toffee sweetness and caramel backbone at the finish. Very delightful - the only drawback is how quickly the beer's profile would shift into a one note pine-y, grapefruit soaked flavor over time. Otherwise, this is fantastic and jubilant.

The flavor proves instantly what I'd expect this beer to provide - an explosion of fruit, resinous hop oils, herbal flavors, and an overall magical drinking experience. Other than tons of peaches, a smörgåsbord of tropical fruits of all kinds (most notably, pineapple and guava). Combined with the bready sweetness (toffee and caramel, as well as a bit of honeysuckle), this produces an effect that is akin to drinking freshly blended guava juice. Never had anything quite like this before. Very wet overall, but finishes with a dry character that slowly becomes more predominant. As mentioned before, this becomes more progressively pine-y and grapefruit-like as it goes along, but the feel of the beer is always interesting - perhaps the most understated aspect in most reviews. This owes a lot to the yeasty profile of the beer, which is downright brilliant. Creamy, soft, spicy, and fruity. The carbonation is already great, but the yeast adds a texture that makes this pretty amazing to drink. Well done, with all things considered.

With that said, it's a ridiculously tough beer to get - from what I can gather, only through farmer's markets in specific towns throughout Vermont - but definitely worth trying once. One of my new top DIPAs, for sure. Although, I'm definitely curious - how many "Double Sunshines" are being brewed in this country and distributed in the same manner? There has to be more beers like this, out there, lurking in our local communities, waiting to be uncovered. Here's to hoping we cross paths again. Cheers!

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle about three weeks old

Pours a slightly hazy apricot color with big soapy white head that lingers quite nicely.

Aroma is floral and citrusy. Tangerine, orange juice, peach, pineapple, pungent flower, with a faint dankiness. Vary balanced aroma with a hint of sweetness.

The taste brings big resiny notes of spruce, orange peel extract, lemon, spearmint, bitter pineapple, dough in the shadows, and something earthy that I quite can't pinpoint. Definitely kumquat in there as well. Very unique flavor profile and doesn't really represent the west coast or east coast style of IPA. Some complained of too much sweetness in this but I can't taste it. The citrus hop character gives off a sweet like flavor but it's in no way off putting.

The mouthfeel on this is surprisingly full and somewhat creamy. Have not had this kind of mouthfeel before in an IPA. It works with the flavor profile.

Overall a world class IPA that doesn't quite make my number one spot but is definitely in my top five. Not another double IPA I could remotely compare to this. Well done Lawson's.

4.88/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Pours a cloudy light orange with no head even with a strong pour.

S - Heavy citrus and flowery hop aroma. Nice tropical fruits, tangerine, bit earthy, citrus rind, nice light but fruity, hint of malts.

T - Wow super hoppy and tasty with light malt sweetness. Great light pine and lots of tasty bitter grapefruits. Delicious.

M - Medium with a good amount of carb. One of the best mouthfeels I've ever seen in a DIPA

O - This is easily a top 5 all-time IPA for me. So smooth and hoppy and citrusy. This has everything a great DIPA should have. It's great to see another amazing East Coast IPA.

4.25/5  rDev -9.2%

4.35/5  rDev -7.1%

Rare Batch: 212 Bottle: 74 and 77

Very hazy golden amber color with a creamy white head that retains very well. Smell has a lot of oranges and tropical fruit. No real malt coming through; it's hop forward and enticing. Taste has some sweet nectarine character going on along with mangos and grapefruit. Just a touch of light grain comes through in the taste, but it still is very much hop dominant. I seem to pretty much just be getting a heavy use of Citra hops in this, but I don't care if that's wrong, I'm loving the taste of this. Medium bodied and about medium carbonation. I gotta give it up, this is one very nice beer.

4.89/5  rDev +4.5%

A- Bright, hazy straw color with thick white head. Lacing lingers and head begins to slowly dissipate over a minute or two.

S- Overwhelming tropical fruit (passion fruit?) aroma hits the nose as soon as the cap comes off the bottle. Subtle pine aroma with a floral quality. Definitely haven't had an IPA with quite this aroma profile.

T- Taste follows the initial impression from the aroma. Very fruity early on. Some piney notes. Overall, a very drinkable DIPA. Alcohol well masked behind the flavor. My wife liked this, and she is not a beer drinker. Almost too fruity for my tastes, though I'll definitely try this one again. (Assuming I'm fortunate enough to obtain one with the hour long drive and one bottle limit).

M- Well balanced flavor comes off quite light bodied and drinkable with a light carbonation.

O- Excellent DIPA. Lives up to the hype. Worth the time, effort and cost to obtain it? Definitely, though it may have to be a once every few months type of beer for me.

Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids