Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Wants: 2,909
Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.
Ratings: 1,894 | Reviews: 313
Reviews by Saltee:

I honestly do not believe you if you rate this beer lower than a five. You either bought an old ass bottle off of mybeercellar, acquired one from a bad trader, or you are a gay (no offense) . This is literally without a doubt the best DIPA of all time. Not only that, it is quite arguably the best beer in the world, if not ever. Please, if you gave this a 4.5 or lower just stop acting like you are a professional tasting poop sniffer. // Anyways... the best beer evaaa! Lawson is da man..

4.92/5  rDev +5.1%

I drink this beer regularly as it is on tap at a local restaurant in my town. I have to say it is usually my go-to when I'm there, even though they have Heady Topper, I choose the Double Sunshine mostly because it's harder to get then Heady Topper. Though it is almost an even trade off between Heady Topper.

A - Orange, with a hint of yellow, nice white head, served on-tap in a snifter beer glass, heavenly.

S - Perfect blend of citrus hops, the intense hop aroma is very pronounced in this beer.

T - Oh god, the taste.. I can't talk enough about how amazing the taste of this beer is, the first sip you almost don't know what just happened to your taste buds, was that a grapefruit, or a beer, but in an amazing way. The citrus hops are so intense and so perfectly balanced, it hits all the right spots on your tongue, it's smooth and extreme at the same time.

Overall this is one of the best beers I have the opportunity to drink on a day to day basis. From the moment it leaves the tap, to the last sip of the glass, you'll be happy and satisfied for every second being in the presence of this beer. Lawson's has got a winner in this one.

4.51/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to Josh for bringing this out and offering to share it - this has been one of my top wants for a very long time. Poured out of a 22oz bottle into a mini chalice. Bottling date is about 3 weeks old.

Orange-amber in appearance, with about 2 fingers worth of a frothy white head (more so as the dregs are poured in the bottle). Cloudy overall, but not completely murky - contains a fantastic golden hue that lights up when placed against the light, as well as a greenish tint on the edges. All things considered, this does appear to be in the same league as HT. In other words, it's not the most important aspect that makes up what's to come.

I do love a fresh DIPA, and I especially love it, it seems, when it comes from Vermont. This is truly resinous, dank, flavorful stuff at the nose, but no different than other world class DIPAs I've had in the style. Stone fruit and tropical fruit marry fantastically, providing notes of peaches (freshly cut, in fact), apricots, mangoes, guava, pineapple, green melon, and pine, combined with a toasted (nearly nutty) toffee sweetness and caramel backbone at the finish. Very delightful - the only drawback is how quickly the beer's profile would shift into a one note pine-y, grapefruit soaked flavor over time. Otherwise, this is fantastic and jubilant.

The flavor proves instantly what I'd expect this beer to provide - an explosion of fruit, resinous hop oils, herbal flavors, and an overall magical drinking experience. Other than tons of peaches, a smörgåsbord of tropical fruits of all kinds (most notably, pineapple and guava). Combined with the bready sweetness (toffee and caramel, as well as a bit of honeysuckle), this produces an effect that is akin to drinking freshly blended guava juice. Never had anything quite like this before. Very wet overall, but finishes with a dry character that slowly becomes more predominant. As mentioned before, this becomes more progressively pine-y and grapefruit-like as it goes along, but the feel of the beer is always interesting - perhaps the most understated aspect in most reviews. This owes a lot to the yeasty profile of the beer, which is downright brilliant. Creamy, soft, spicy, and fruity. The carbonation is already great, but the yeast adds a texture that makes this pretty amazing to drink. Well done, with all things considered.

With that said, it's a ridiculously tough beer to get - from what I can gather, only through farmer's markets in specific towns throughout Vermont - but definitely worth trying once. One of my new top DIPAs, for sure. Although, I'm definitely curious - how many "Double Sunshines" are being brewed in this country and distributed in the same manner? There has to be more beers like this, out there, lurking in our local communities, waiting to be uncovered. Here's to hoping we cross paths again. Cheers!

4.92/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle about three weeks old

Pours a slightly hazy apricot color with big soapy white head that lingers quite nicely.

Aroma is floral and citrusy. Tangerine, orange juice, peach, pineapple, pungent flower, with a faint dankiness. Vary balanced aroma with a hint of sweetness.

The taste brings big resiny notes of spruce, orange peel extract, lemon, spearmint, bitter pineapple, dough in the shadows, and something earthy that I quite can't pinpoint. Definitely kumquat in there as well. Very unique flavor profile and doesn't really represent the west coast or east coast style of IPA. Some complained of too much sweetness in this but I can't taste it. The citrus hop character gives off a sweet like flavor but it's in no way off putting.

The mouthfeel on this is surprisingly full and somewhat creamy. Have not had this kind of mouthfeel before in an IPA. It works with the flavor profile.

Overall a world class IPA that doesn't quite make my number one spot but is definitely in my top five. Not another double IPA I could remotely compare to this. Well done Lawson's.

4.85/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Pours a cloudy light orange with no head even with a strong pour.

S - Heavy citrus and flowery hop aroma. Nice tropical fruits, tangerine, bit earthy, citrus rind, nice light but fruity, hint of malts.

T - Wow super hoppy and tasty with light malt sweetness. Great light pine and lots of tasty bitter grapefruits. Delicious.

M - Medium with a good amount of carb. One of the best mouthfeels I've ever seen in a DIPA

O - This is easily a top 5 all-time IPA for me. So smooth and hoppy and citrusy. This has everything a great DIPA should have. It's great to see another amazing East Coast IPA.

4.33/5  rDev -7.5%

Rare Batch: 212 Bottle: 74 and 77

Very hazy golden amber color with a creamy white head that retains very well. Smell has a lot of oranges and tropical fruit. No real malt coming through; it's hop forward and enticing. Taste has some sweet nectarine character going on along with mangos and grapefruit. Just a touch of light grain comes through in the taste, but it still is very much hop dominant. I seem to pretty much just be getting a heavy use of Citra hops in this, but I don't care if that's wrong, I'm loving the taste of this. Medium bodied and about medium carbonation. I gotta give it up, this is one very nice beer.

4.9/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Bright, hazy straw color with thick white head. Lacing lingers and head begins to slowly dissipate over a minute or two.

S- Overwhelming tropical fruit (passion fruit?) aroma hits the nose as soon as the cap comes off the bottle. Subtle pine aroma with a floral quality. Definitely haven't had an IPA with quite this aroma profile.

T- Taste follows the initial impression from the aroma. Very fruity early on. Some piney notes. Overall, a very drinkable DIPA. Alcohol well masked behind the flavor. My wife liked this, and she is not a beer drinker. Almost too fruity for my tastes, though I'll definitely try this one again. (Assuming I'm fortunate enough to obtain one with the hour long drive and one bottle limit).

M- Well balanced flavor comes off quite light bodied and drinkable with a light carbonation.

O- Excellent DIPA. Lives up to the hype. Worth the time, effort and cost to obtain it? Definitely, though it may have to be a once every few months type of beer for me.

4.39/5  rDev -6.2%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a hazy golden amber color with a nice one finger lightly yellow very sticky head that leads to lots of lacing. Nose is phenomenal, it's very fruity and floral, dank and spicy. Not sure how he does it with these IPAs, but they all smell amazing.

Wow, this is so creamy and juicy and dank. It coats your math with a smooth creamy hop coating - the bitterness is quite harsh, less so than hopzilla though, which means you get more fruity and vegetal flavors. The carbonation is nice, sharp and crisp but the body is almost like a cask IPA which is cool. The finish is really dry and leaves you wanting more but there is a bit of an earthy grass like flavor on the finish that's a bit too prominent for me.

Overall, it's a good little brother to Hopzilla.

4.68/5  rDev 0%

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, whartontallboy!

Hazy, unfiltered, somewhat murky orange with a moderately sized off-white head. This leaves the glass astonishingly messy on the way down. Perhaps the best lacing I've seen in a DIPA. Gorgeous.

Big citrus and tropical fruit aromas are most notable, a mild pine presence, and a very little sweetness.

The flavor is absolutely delicious, complete, quenching: superb. The tropical and citrus flavors are the most present, along with a moderate bitterness, light pine, and just a hint/presence of sweet malt. Simply perfect. The lingering citrus presence is stunning. This may be the finest DIPA in the world.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Crisp, though slightly sticky.

Perfect.

If you're reading reviews to see how good this beer is, just stop reading and find out how to get your hands on it. They'res alot of people saying that this beer is better than Pliny (i think so) Other people are saying Double Jack is equally good as this beer (not).

I wont get into that but I had a tough time not giving this beer all 5's. If I'd tried all the big DIPAs (Abrasive, Ephraim, etc etc) to compare I could king it the best, havent gotten there yet. I dont think there exists a "perfect" beer but this one didn't give me any reason to take points away from its score.

EDIT: Tried more big name DIPAs, this is the best IMO

A - pours hazy orange with nice white head that and nice lacing, a quick swirl reconstitutes the head very nicely

S- Pine, Citrus, Grapefruit, Tropical Fruits. Picking up Pineapple, Mango, few others I cant distinquish. Awesome.

T- Fruit up front, then malt, then hops. No bitterness though. Very well balanced. Leaves you wanting more.

M- No bite, no accumulation. Super balanced.

O- One of the best beers I've ever had. I consider myself to be a pretty staunch beer critic who typically tries to dissect each beer to give a true critque. Couldn't really find any flaws in this one, but as the reviews show, to each his own.

But, you should own this beer, its incredible.

4.8/5  rDev +2.6%

Got this one in my poker winnings from baconsausage. Thanks a lot!

Poured a hazy golden orange color with quite a bit of slightly off-white head on it.

Smell was very citrusy with some floral notes coming through. Very nice aroma.

Taste was pretty incredible. Great citrus flavor up front with the hops coming through in the finish. Really a well balanced beer.

Mouthfeel was fairly light. Smooth drinking beer.

Overall a great beer that I would love to have again. I could drink this beer all night.

4.54/5  rDev -3%

Purchased at The Valley Players Theater in Waitsfield, VT during the Farmers Market on 3/21/12
(240 calories)

Price - $9.99/bomber

Pours a hazy orange color with a creamy white one finger head. Suds stick around for a bit before fading off to patchy bubbles. Good and sticky looking with a fair amount of lacing.

The aroma is amazing with an intense blast of citrus fruit. First up is grapefruit and lemon followed by oranges, tangerines and a light smell of pine. The nose is full of hops from the start right to the finish.

The taste comes on strong once again bringing on the citrus flavors. Grapefruit, pineapple, lemon it's all there draped over a near perfect balance of sweetness. Surprisingly smooth and drinkable for the abv. Finishes clean and delicious.

The mouthfeel definitely stands up to a double with a medium body and not overly carbonated. A zesty feel through out followed by a delicate bitterness and ending somewhat dry and resinous.

Overall this beer has some amazing qualities (aroma in particular) and was a real treat to experience. Somewhat of a bitch to get a hold of but well worth the effort and price. I have several other styles from Lawson's I grabbed and can't wait to open them up. Add this one to an ever growing list of fantastic IPA/DIPAS coming out of Vermont. Nice job!!

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

I understand most west coast beer geeks believe they have a lock on the best IIPA's and they are mostly right. Lawson's is so small, lack of distribution will never impact enough left coast taste buds to alter that wide held notion. BUT, if you get a hold of this one, expect the best!
A: Pale straw and minor haze, medium white head
S: Bold and fruity hops abound! Intense citrus and clean, with a a hint of buscuit.
Taste: Simular to nose, with strong "C" hops first with pleasing but intense bitter and just a sense of malt backing. Finishes with a bite of bitter and pepper.
M: Smooth and well carbonated -
D: Get 2 or 3 of these if you can because it's a delight in evey way from the moment you pop the top and get a face-full of hops, to light lacing and a pucker-up finish. Drinks considerably lighter than the 8% would imply, with slight boozyness as it warms.

MANY MANY THANKS to Beenitty. A surprise extra that landed on my porch earlier this afternoon, and something I have been wanting to try since I heard of it. Pours from bottle into Brooklyn tulip. Pours a cloudy very light yellow color- pretty unique looking for a IIPA, normally much darker of a color. nice head and decent retention, after a few minutes it recedes and leaves a sticky looking lacing around the glass. Smell- wow. a blast of citrus to the nostrils. Lemon zest, tropical flavors (mango, pineapple, papaya). Very herbal and clean smelling. This smells amazing. Taste- WOW. I am blown away. Just a blast of citrus on the front of the palate. Almost puckeringly citrus sourness, like biting into a lemon. It rounds out with some sweetness on the backbone that balances out the tropical fruit and citrus, leaving just a perfect mix of citrus sweetness on the end. No real bitterness here, the hops manifest themselves almost 100% in the form of fruit/citrus/tropical flavors and the sweetness that the malt delivers is just amazing. I just burped and up came some piney flavors. This is a perfect beer. Just absolutely amazing. Getting a 5 on all fronts from me, officially better than Pliney, and all the other elite IPA's I have ever had. I'm blown away by this beer.

4.42/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from bottle to tulip

Looks golden with a hint of amber in it, enticing to say the least. Not much head at all, even with an aggressive pour.

Smells like...tropical fruit. Very good smell. I sit here hoping that the taste will follow suit!

Taste does indeed follow the smell well. Tropical fruit, bitter hops, absolutely no alcohol presence which is solid for an 8%. Enjoyable!

Mouthfeel is good, carbonation is there and the bitterness from the hops is present but no overpowering. Good aftertaste too. Almost like chewing a bit of juicy fruit gum, except not quite as intense and sugary, obviously!

Overall...I'd like to be able to get this alll the time. Unfortunately these beers are tough to find!!

Cheers

4.11/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A- cloudy and orange in color with a foamy white head
S- Orange, lemon zest, citrus hops
T- orange, grapefruit, bitter and a resinous hop finish that lingers on the tongue
M- medium body, crisp, and medium-high carbonation
O- A wonderful double IPA from one of my favorite states. DS is juicy and full of fruit flavor and bitterness. My only critique on this brew is the presence of alcohol, not strong but you can taste it. Also, this was not my first time trying this beer, but it sure wont be my last. Thanks to DrewGingras for this one!

4.02/5  rDev -14.1%

Solid beer. Nothing more, nothing less. The hype surrounding this beer, all the "juicy" reviews had me expecting more. Don't get me wrong, good, but not great.

A - beautiful hazy more sunshine lemon than orange. Unfiltered, so as expected.

S - More muted than expected. Aggressive swirl brings out grapefruit rind and a vegetal and earthy component. More impressed with the grassy raw earth component here than the citrus.

T - there is a less than refined and raw earthy hop component to the taste which I can appreciate, although the "tropical juiciness" that everyone raves about is slim to none. The raw and bitter grapefruit rind is trying to shine, followed by lemony orange hints that make their appearance ever so slightly. Honestly, my 4 rating here is borderline generous. I'm slightly confused as to why this is frequently compared to other heavy hitters overly discussed on here.

M - very nice, but not as "sessionable" as others I can think of that share the same ABV. 1/2 way through it gets somewhat mealy. After 22oz, I'm good; which usually isn't the case with most other 8% DIPAs.

O - my trader on this one is awesome, reliable, and I'm assured this is not an old bottle. However, there's no bottle date, so I have no true reference to freshness. All I can say is that I'm glad I've knocked this off my list, but I can think of plenty of year round accessible beers that easily measure up to this one. Don't get me wrong. I'm very appreciative of this trade and opportunity. The coolest thing about this beer is the slogan in the label. "Straight from the green Mountains to your head." My type of people.

4.34/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Paul for sharing. Review from notes.

A: Pours a clear golden color with a white foamy head on top, nice retention with streaky lacing all down the sides.

S: Not as in your face as I was hoping for, but still very nice. Lots of tropical/citrus fruit, some orange, grapefruit, and pineapple. A bit of pine and light caramel. A bit of sweetness as well.

T: Similar to the aroma, lots of citrus fruit mixed with a little bit of pine. Grapefruit and a big of orange and orange peel. Faint caramel and bready malt.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Had extremely high hopes for this beer, and while extremely good, as a slight let down. Was hoping for a more in your face beer, but still extremely well crafted and easy drinking.

4.29/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty clear orange-peach color with a nice 1cm white head with great retention and lacing.

Nose is quite nice at first. Would have a much higher score if it hadn't faded so quickly. Maybe could be a little fresher? Lovely notes of fruit like peach and mango with a mild floral bouquet.

Flavor is very nice. Great balance! Pretty different for the style as it has distinct fruity flavors from the great malt/hop blend. Notes of peach and mango and a nice mildly bitter floral hop transition on the backend.

Mouth is medium bodied with pretty high yet smooth creamy carbonation.

Overall this is a fantastic and pretty unique beer for the style. I love it and want more!

4.96/5  rDev +6%

Got this from a verrry generous IP trade. Pours a hazy orange with a half inch tight, white head. Aroma was sweet grapefruit and malt. Taste was just amazing....Nice citrus, floral flavors. Finishes with a beautifully smooth maltiness. Trying not to fall too deeply in love as this is a tough get. Highly recommended to anyone venturing to the northern reaches of Vermont. Imagine; Double Sunshine, HT & HF within half an hour of each other....Wow.

4.55/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle shared by Chris, and again by Ethan - thanks! Poured into Lost Abbey Tumbler both times. Golden color with a slightly hazy yellow and a foamy white cap settles to collar. Smell is very tropical and sweet, really nice hop balance, very green and fresh, grassy slightly sweet malt in the back. Taste is very grassy followed by tons of tropical bitter hops, some sweet tropical fruit, pineapple, grapefruit citrus incredibly complex hop flavor. Medium body and medium carbonation with a somewhat dry flavor. Very solid ipa with a unique hop profile. I thoroughly enjoyed this, one of the most drinkable beers at 8% abv. Lawsons should cease production of about half their beers (I am looking at you, maple nipple) and produce this one year round. One of the best beers in the style.

4.78/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Lawson’s chalice.

Pale hazy orange in color. Head is super frothy and white. The aroma of this is outstanding. There’s so much tropical fruit here – it smells like I’m walking through a citrus grove. Grapefruit galore, with juicy mango and orange peel. A slight grassy and herbal smell rounds it off. This is the juiciest IPA I’ve ever tasted. The fruit stands out so much it’s ridiculous. It’s subtly sweet and not too boozy, making it extremely drinkable. There’s more grapefruit and mango, but also an herbal quality like a fine green tea. It feels thick and frothy in your mouth , but all the flavors in here are extremely bright and alive, while the malt characteristics fit perfectly. I don’t know how Lawson’s does it.

3.85/5  rDev -17.7%

Enjoyed On tap at Prohibition Pg. White foam on yellow suds. A DIPA level of bitterness. Good drinkability, above average mouthfeel. Only a faint hop aroma. What a way to start, with a DIPA in the afternoon. Lots of citrus flavour, fruity. The alcohol is there.

the nectar of the gods. This blows away Heady Topper, and Heady is one of the best beers I've ever had. Truly the most amazing beer i have ever had.

4.28/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Kyle for this one. 22oz. bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 1 finger foamy white head with moderate retention. Beer is a cloudy sunset. Lacing is stringy and patchy with decent stick. Average.

Nose is mango, papaya and pineapple. Big citrus hop notes along with some cane sugar malt sweetness. Aromatic and very appetizing. Just what I'd expect a VT IIPA to be.

Opens citrus, resin, tree sap hop bitterness. Some papaya and mango in the middle with a big, cane sugar malt presence. Some spruce tips and grapefruit too. Finishes sappy and dry with a resiny, hop bitter aftertaste. Juicy, dry hop perfection!

Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Resiny and sticky in the mouth and goes down dry and sappy. Messy finish with a lingering, sticky, dry aftertaste. Nice.

If you had to pick 3 DIPAs to represent The Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, and Lawsons, you'd probably pick Heady Topper, Ephraim, and Double Sunshine respectively. DS is not in the same conversation as the other two. However, that doesn't mean its not a world class beer. Worth trying and easily the best hoppy offering I've had from Lawson's.

Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids