1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Double Sunshine IPADouble Sunshine IPA

Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010)
View: Beers (48) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,315 | Reviews: 275 | Show All Ratings:
Solomon420

I think this is one of only 3 reviews that I gave a full 5 stars on.

This beer is ABOVE par with any of the top Double IPAs around, be it West or East or 3rd Coast. This stuff is the bomb...I dont know why everyone is so up in arms about Heady Topper when this beer here is a clear winner and trump HT in overall drinkability and quality. Its a hop heads dream. I had this beer along side some HT and Pliny, and I preferred this beer easily over the others. From first pour, the bouquet was awesome, the appearance was just beautiful with its amber color and off white head. The taste, where do I begin? Its just awesome, hops hops and more hops with good balance and not overly bitter but just enough grapefruit bite and left an oily but no overpowering lingering taste, mouthfeel was good. Overall, this is one awesome DIPA and I hope to God that I can score more of it.
Well done Sean Lawson, and thanks for getting me a bottle of this!

01-14-2011 04:15:36 | More by Solomon420
yourefragile

District of Columbia

22 oz bottle, batch 183, bottle 99. Thanks Conor and TCassel! Shared with Jeff and Ben.

Pours a bright, slightly cloudy golden color with a massive, fluffy white head. Head never fades and leaves streaks of thin lacing. Aroma is pure hops, fresh and dank. Dominated by pine and floral notes, slightly sweaty, with a background of sweet tropical hops and malt. Flavor is strong fresh pine and citrus rind. Very clean and dry with a pleasant mild bitter finish. Mouthfeel is soft and medium thick, exceedingly drinkable. A little lighter than your typical DIPA, but extremely enjoyable and smooth.

Update. Just drank a few bottles of batch 211 within a few days of picking them up from the Warren Store. After being lucky enough to have this on 4 or 5 occasions, this has become my favorite IIPA. Tons of fresh tropical and citrus fruit with balancing, not abrasive bitterness, this is incredible.

Update 2/16/12. Eff it. One year later, still has never disappointed me and drinking a fresh sample now complements of Josh. If I don't give this a 5, I will never give anything a 5.

02-03-2011 01:25:15 | More by yourefragile
Reagan1984

This review is dedicated to my bride. She hates long drives and agreed to make the PILGRIMAGE to Warren, VT to grab this bottle (and a few others!!) Thanks for making the drive! Cheers to you Melissa!

Well, this review started Friday night at the ACBF in Boston. For some strange coincidence the best beer of the night has appeared to me in the first several samples in 3 of the last 5 years. This year was no exception and I literally fell in love. Of course, I wanted to visit Lawson’s booth as I had heard wonderful things. As my second beer of the night I tried this Double Sunshine. The heavens opened even before I tasted it. The aroma is just unreal. Let’s just say three hours later Sean and all at the Lawson’s booth knew exactly who I was as I visited again & again.

Fear NOT, this review is NOT from a sample size. I am sitting with bottle # 17 (my favorite number) of batch 212. I got up Saturday and drove 400 miles round trip to pick up a few bottles after hearing that there was some more AND that Sean mentioned he’s done brewing this “for a while” Enjoying the bottle is just the same. Insane.

So this is a first for me. I have decided that this is my favorite beer I’ve ever tried. For me IT IS “the perfect 5” Seriously, what could be better about this beer other than having it fresh on tap in my basement at all times?

Pours with a fluffy off white head with decent retention. Lacing clings in thick clumps everywhere. The beer has a subtle unfiltered haze to it while being a golden amber color. Gorgeous looking beer.

The aroma, frankly is to die for. So fresh and thick with floral grapefruit peel scents. It’s almost like someone curled a grapefruit peel under your nose and released all the oils in the skin. Just below this also lies some fruitiness. The best.

Where do I start? The resinous citrus/tropical flavors just burst in your mouth. Have you seen the current Starburst commercials where they claim the juice explodes in your mouth? Well this is that in a beer sense. Your mouth waters as is splashes in your mouth with a huge burst of juicy tropical goodness. The malt profile is perfect. Light cracker goodness that provides just enough backbone to let the freshness and hops shine. It’s been said before and it’s never been more true than here. The English created the IPA... Americans perfected it. Question, can there be a wonderfully bitter aftertaste that is refreshing? The answer is YES.

Body is amazingly smooth and refreshing for a DPA registering in at 8% abv. I almost can’t believe it. This beer can do some damage before you know it. Th bright fresh mouth feel is so lively and refreshing. The only thing holding you back from quaffing it is that you will only have it on a limited basis..

Truth be told, 400 miles wasn’t too bad to grab several bottles. I would have driven a lot more, but my wife would have made me make that trip solo. I’ll do it again, I can assure you. I think I am so intrigued knowing that it’s life is so short. Certainly after a month, it starts to fade into oblivion. Of course, few of Sean’s IPA’s ever make it that long on this earth. These sure as hell won’t

I’ve often talked about how the journey for the perfect beer was as much fun as the destination. I still agree with that notion. But the end of the line was PERFECT.

Congrats. You have made MY perfect beer!

Edit - Posting my review moved this from "A" to "A+" I could NOT be more proud!!!!

06-05-2011 22:45:51 | More by Reagan1984
funkel81

simply put, the perfect beer. try it and try to disagree with me

smells like it was dry hopped with angel wings

tastes like it was brewed with love

i only wish it were available outside of vermont

i'm not great at describing tastes (obviously) but this might be my new favorite ipa

06-08-2011 03:39:39 | More by funkel81
beenitty

If you're reading reviews to see how good this beer is, just stop reading and find out how to get your hands on it. They'res alot of people saying that this beer is better than Pliny (i think so) Other people are saying Double Jack is equally good as this beer (not).

I wont get into that but I had a tough time not giving this beer all 5's. If I'd tried all the big DIPAs (Abrasive, Ephraim, etc etc) to compare I could king it the best, havent gotten there yet. I dont think there exists a "perfect" beer but this one didn't give me any reason to take points away from its score.

EDIT: Tried more big name DIPAs, this is the best IMO

A - pours hazy orange with nice white head that and nice lacing, a quick swirl reconstitutes the head very nicely

S- Pine, Citrus, Grapefruit, Tropical Fruits. Picking up Pineapple, Mango, few others I cant distinquish. Awesome.

T- Fruit up front, then malt, then hops. No bitterness though. Very well balanced. Leaves you wanting more.

M- No bite, no accumulation. Super balanced.

O- One of the best beers I've ever had. I consider myself to be a pretty staunch beer critic who typically tries to dissect each beer to give a true critque. Couldn't really find any flaws in this one, but as the reviews show, to each his own.

But, you should own this beer, its incredible.

06-15-2011 17:06:19 | More by beenitty
tzieser

Arizona

enjoyed on-tap at the reservoir in waterbury, vt on 11/12/11.

a: served in a lawson's finest liquids glass. bright yellow in color with a very thick haze. wow! this is almost as bright as sunshine! (sorry, i just had to)

s: heavy citrus and flowery hop aroma. smells like a field of wildflowers and giant sliced-open grapefruits. no joke. probably the most citrus/flower/tropical hop aroma i have ever smelled.

t: citrus hop flavor dominates with flavors of tropical fruits like passionfruit and mango. slight bitter pine character. perfectly balanced and surprisingly refreshing. want more.

i was completely blown away by this double ipa. i knew it was going to be delicious, but i didn't think it would be "highlight-of-my-trip" delicious. well done, and deserves the straight fives.

11-15-2011 02:05:01 | More by tzieser
lnashsig

MANY MANY THANKS to Beenitty. A surprise extra that landed on my porch earlier this afternoon, and something I have been wanting to try since I heard of it. Pours from bottle into Brooklyn tulip. Pours a cloudy very light yellow color- pretty unique looking for a IIPA, normally much darker of a color. nice head and decent retention, after a few minutes it recedes and leaves a sticky looking lacing around the glass. Smell- wow. a blast of citrus to the nostrils. Lemon zest, tropical flavors (mango, pineapple, papaya). Very herbal and clean smelling. This smells amazing. Taste- WOW. I am blown away. Just a blast of citrus on the front of the palate. Almost puckeringly citrus sourness, like biting into a lemon. It rounds out with some sweetness on the backbone that balances out the tropical fruit and citrus, leaving just a perfect mix of citrus sweetness on the end. No real bitterness here, the hops manifest themselves almost 100% in the form of fruit/citrus/tropical flavors and the sweetness that the malt delivers is just amazing. I just burped and up came some piney flavors. This is a perfect beer. Just absolutely amazing. Getting a 5 on all fronts from me, officially better than Pliney, and all the other elite IPA's I have ever had. I'm blown away by this beer.

12-01-2011 23:36:51 | More by lnashsig
mz3frs

Pours a nice medium amber with a 1 finger head and decent lacing. A tropical hop bomb, with tons of pineapple/citrus flavor and aroma. Crystal malts take a back seat but lend a nice counterpoint to the hops. Mouthfeel is very smooth and drinkable for a beer like this. A must-try! My favorite DIPA to date.

02-21-2012 16:27:55 | More by mz3frs
joshuacavett

What the hell!!! Incredible example of this style. Blew my socks off. Nice head after a rigorous pour, beatiful golden/copper color with an incredibly dankish, extremely basil aroma. Hops are well balanced and I hungered for the beer afterwards. Can't wait to get my hands on another one of these! Do not miss this beer.

02-24-2012 23:32:20 | More by joshuacavett
jegross2

Reviewing the Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids out of Vermont. This is one of the most sought after IPA in the county, along with Heady Topper, and it is not easy to get a hold of if you do not live near the three places that sell Lawson's beer. This is my first Lawson's beer and I am very excited to try it.
Score: 100

No bottle date, but this once was received via trade on 04/05/12 and purchased towards the end of March. Served in a Half Acre tulip and enjoyed on 04/09/12.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy and pretty translucent golden orange color. Three fingers of off-white soapy head at pour slowly settles into a thin bubbly layer. Excellent lacing, good retention. 5/5

Smell: Tons of mango, pineapple and bright tropical citrus upfront. Peach, apricot, and lots of fresh, sweet grapefruit. A modest dose of pine. There's a sugary/candied tropical fruit aroma to this. 5/5

Taste: Fresh, sweet and sticky tropical citrus upfront quickly followed by a strongly bitter hops oil flavor on the midpalate and in the finish. Grapefruit, pineapple juice, peach and mango. A little bit of pulpy orange as the beer layers. There's a really nice piney hop kick in the finish. This beer takes you to the extreme of sweet and juicy citrus IPA flavor and reels you back with a deliciously bitter hop bite. Gets even better and more balanced as the beer layers. 5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium-plus carbonation that simultaneously perks the hops on the palate and lets the bitterness sit heavy. Really nice and oily mouthfeel. Dry, bitter finish. 5/5

Overall: Pitch perfect DIPA. Loads of juicy tropical citrus and bitter pine balance to boot. This one smells and tastes just as good as Abrasive Ale.

Recommendation: Seek this beer out. Assuming you like IPA's, this is one of the absolute best in the style that you will ever have the opportunity to try.

Pairings: Goose Island's "Black Earth Burger" would be perfect with this.

Cost: $10 for a 22 oz (bomber) bottle that really looks like a 750 ml.

05-01-2012 06:52:41 | More by jegross2
BERNUTBAG

picked this up last thursday at the warren store, this just a well rounded ipa, taste like the other vermont ipa's, like heady, hill farmstead, but does not have the smell of the heady topper,can not wait to drive buy again and pick up some more of this fantasic brew,this is a must try it beer if you like hoppy ipa beer

05-20-2012 20:44:33 | More by BERNUTBAG
elucchese

Unbelievable...I have to say (and I know this might sound crazy) but this beer is on par with RR's Pliny the Younger...so delicious and it has an incredible citrus smell and hoppy taste. I just hope it can make it's way down to Boston soon! Along with the Heady Topper, VT is cranking out some pretty stellar double IPAs.

06-23-2012 22:09:28 | More by elucchese
MagicJeff

Georgia

Got to share this with LiquidSwords and EyePeeAye. Great times fellas!

Poured from a bomber to a pint glass.

Appearance: Looks beautiful--hazy copperish gold with a nice head. Crazy lacing left afterwards. Head pretty much retained throughout drinking.

Smell: Mango, citrus, slight pine. Slightly sweet caramel? So complex.

Taste: WOW. If the smell is complex, I'm lost at the taste. So freaking good. Mango, grapefruit, yet so balanced with the sweet caramel and toffee malts. Some pepper and warmth from the alcohol on the back end. So enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied feel, goes down smooth.

Overall: I've had Pliny, Heady Topper, Hopslam, and other highly rated IPA's, and I'd put this with the best of them. I appreciated how balanced it tasted--you really appreciated the freshness and effort put into this beer. A world class brew.

08-28-2012 23:41:56 | More by MagicJeff
Vermont-the-Trader

I've had this beer many times..Best place to have it-on tap at the PIG.
This is right up there with Heady Topper and anything by Hill Farmstead.
I travel to the Warren Store often and depending on what the selection is at the time,i can usually score me up some tasty Lawson's. I'm always up for trading, let me know.

Okay, the double sunshine is almost do i dare say it: Heady Topper.
Same look and feel but taste a bit more bodied. Beautiful gold color, super creamy from head to finish. Very thick lacing, and such an inviting nose. One swallow and the first thing to come to mind is: Liquid Gold! I'm not sure of the hop content, lets just say Hop Heads are smiling every where about this beer.

I'll post a review on the Triple IPA as well, have a few in the fridge right now.

10-07-2012 12:57:29 | More by Vermont-the-Trader
Hendry

Vermont

This sample was super-fresh, and poured into a Lawson's snifter a cloudy off orange/copper hue with a thin white head that dissapated relatively soon. The nose is a fresh mango that was dropped into a pile of fresh Vermont pine needles: immediately you get the sense that a taste explosion awaits you with such a marvelous aroma, and taste explosion is what you get!

Don't let other reviews that compare Double Sunshine to Heady Topper convince you that they are the same: there are similaraties, both made in Vermont, and are both hand crafted small batch hop forward cloudy double IPAs, but the similarity ends there.

Double Sunshine has a flavor all of its' own, and my best description is a major league "mango bomb!" The mango is one of those tropical fruits that seems to embody qualities from an array of various fruits,and when fresh is a taste sensation. The carbonation seems perfect though difficult to see through the cloudiness, and the mouthfeel is a nice medium: nothing thin here and it hits the palate just right with some oily goodness.There is an ever-so-slight alcohol warming felt in the throat, but that won't distract you from the complex flavors. Lacing is good, not crazy but again the magnificent flavors overcome any aesthetic shortcoming one might conjur up.

The mango-pine needle blast leaves an aftertaste that seems to go on forever and is exceptional, keeping you coming back for another delicious sip. An excellent example of small batch craft brewing that you just can't get it in a 6 pack format.

Bottom line: the hype is very real for this bottled liquid gold, and like Heady Topper, has a way of spoiling one to the remarkable qualities of innovative cutting edge Vermont craft beers.
Double Sunshine is one of those rare hand crafted IPAs that simply must be tasted to appreciate the excellence, and if you are lucky enough to get your hands on some you are not likely to be disappointed. So far, the top of the pack in my book. Swirling Double Sunshine around a bit in the Lawson's snifter creates a wave of aroma that is second to none for my money, and worth the tremendous effort to obtain these heavenly bombers from the Green Mountain of Vermont.

UPDATE: Hard work pays off when you can score multiple bottles of Double Sunshine, however it is a two edge sword as most other beer does not begin to compare. The batches are truly micro and require a lot of perseverance to get multiple bottles unlike Heady Topper which has become much more visible in local convenience stores.
UPDATE: 6/21/13 NO ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT, THE BEST I HAVE TASTED!!

04-14-2013 02:21:00 | More by Hendry
80x2HopHead

Vermont

I dont feel as if I need to say much- best doub I have ever had. To me its even better than heady topper, although they are two entirely different doubs. More fruity than a heady- overwhelming mango and more subtle apricot and papaya notes whereas the heady has more of a citrusy pink grapefruit and tangerine taste. Extraordinarily well balanced with the perfect ratio of fruit and subtle citrus an pine resins followed by a supremely smooth hoppy taste. There is really nothing I would have changed in the brew and I plan to buy another 5 this Thursday at the Warren General Store. If you have the chance to get your hands on this unique brew in Warren then I highly recommend that you do so-I cant say there is anything more worth your time.

03-19-2013 05:33:23 | More by 80x2HopHead
JMScowcroft

Vermont

Lawson's Finest Liquids - Double Sunshine IPA aka "Dubs"

A friend of mine here on Beeradvocate (Hendry) hooked me up with one of these, which are hard to obtain even if you live here in Vermont.

Look - Pours hazy golden (sunshine? haha) with a slight tint of amber in the middle. Full, foamy head with great lacing.

Smell - Citrus and floral hop bomb to the face. Mouth-watering gloriousness. Grapefruit, sour orange, mango, and pine. These elements are apparent as soon as you pop the cap.

Taste - Immediately I noticed three waves of hoppy character. Blast of pine, blast of citrus, and a smooth mix of both and a casual finish. Juicy and full of flavor.

Mouthfeel - Quite a character, rugged and raw. Thick and hearty. Exceptionally drinkable.

Overall - Wow, utterly amazing brew. Complex, full of flavor and tough like a woodsman. Would highly, HIGHLY recommend. My favorite brew in this style and a bigger king among lesser kings.

04-23-2013 12:24:13 | More by JMScowcroft
TriggerFingers

Had this on tap at ACBF in Boston on June 1st. I tried every IPA there and some showed well but Double Sunshine was a stunner. I mean many 95-100 IPA's just paled in comparison. They seemed lackluster, which is a shame because alone they are excellent brews.

The nose is massive citrus, the flavor is huge grapefruit/orange/pineapple, and its bitterness is so smooth. My wife commented that it tasted like a summer day. I wish I could pump this into my veins!

As far as IPA's go Double Sunshine is more seamless than most IPA's made today. Lawson's makes some top notch beer. If you ever wanted to try a 100 point IPA, get some of this!

Bottom Line: Utterly fantastic! Memorable and beyond!

06-03-2013 19:27:05 | More by TriggerFingers
GarthDanielson

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a bright, yellow-copper coloring with a tall, frothy, big bubbled, bright white head and a steady flow of carbonation throughout the body. Nose of rich, floral hops on the forward nose, with a tangy grapefruit backbone blending with a truckload of resiny character. Layered and inviting nose. Wow! Flavors are smooth and balanced, with a grapefruit tart and sweet blending with a peppery and resiny hops character on the forward tongue. Some roast characteristics toward the end of the palate. The hops characteristics provide both floral aromas and bitter, resiny flavor characteristics. Fantastic. Robust body, but light at the same time. The aftertaste is richly sweet and bitter at the same time, with a heavy fistful of hops resin and citrus tenderizing your palate into a blissful state. Smooth, bitter finish with a slightly drying feel. Fantastic beer!

08-25-2013 02:39:36 | More by GarthDanielson
HRamz3

Pitcairn

Serving: bottle

Appearance: Just like the name says, bright sunshine, slight haze.

Smell: Big citrus, grapefruit. Then some pine.

Taste: More grapefruit and soft malt, crisp pine finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and clean, almost dry quenching.

Overall: Definitely the best DIPA I've had, and probably the best beer overall.

08-27-2013 19:14:06 | More by HRamz3
jbellows

Vermont

This has to be the second best D-IPA in the world. Having tasted most of them, I'm continuously blown away by this beer. I only wish he would brew it more often....but maybe that's part of what makes it so great. excellent hops punch, both smell and taste, and one of the best after tastes out there. Just a great beer, and I can't get enough....literally.

09-27-2013 18:06:35 | More by jbellows
dar482

The beer comes in a hazy dark orange yellow color.

The aroma is hugely hoppy of tropical fruits. Juicy peaches, mango, as well as grapefruit and a bit of pine and earthy herbal and grassiness. Almost a Sunny D juicy or absurdly sweet fruit aroma.

The flavor follows with that tropical fruit and grapefruit citrus note in the front. It goes on and on with juicy tropical, oranges, tangerine, sweet mango, pineapple, passionfruit. Just an onslaught of juicy hops like no other beer. The middle has a light bready honey malt that adds a bit of sweetness. The finish transitions to earthy herbal hoppy and pine notes, fresh and bitter grapefruit peel. A strong bitterness on the finish, but with that "hop juice" flavor throughout.

The oats do this beer a wonder with a viscous, medium plus body that flows beautifully under the tongue.

I had it in a blind taste against Abner and Heady Topper, which I thought was my favorite beer of all time. This is now my favorite beer of all time.

02-02-2014 05:08:01 | More by dar482
themind

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

This is an amazing brew! a citrus, orange aroma smacks you in the face when poured into the goblet. The appearance is very cloudy so this is the only drawback to this beer but really who cares what it looks like. The taste is legendary! Pliny, Heady, Abrasive status. This is a must seek, must have beer for any IPA lover. One of the finest, well crafted beers I have ever had...period!A crisp mouthfeel completes this truly incredible beer.

Bottom Line: Legendary IPA!

06-09-2013 02:51:49 | More by themind
PaBrewSki

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottled around 1/16. Poured from a bottle into a snifter. The appearance is hazy but nothing untypical of an unfiltered DIPA. A fellow taster noted that it's actually pretty clean for being unfiltered. Deep hazy yellow color with bright white head. Smell is of tropical and citrus hops. The taste is the same. Very hoppy yet very balanced. This beer finishes really hoppy yet not too bitter. Hops linger on the tongue reminding you how delicious it is and leaves you wanting more. The perfect Double IPA!

02-10-2014 23:00:04 | More by PaBrewSki
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.98/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer is a clear, golden hue with a thick finger of white head that leaves a generous amount of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is awesome, and I know right away that I'm in for a treat. Pine, grapefruit, melon, citrus.

The taste does not disappoint, bringing a healthy dose of fresh hops and citrus fruits. Alcohol content is masked extremely well in both the aroma and flavor. At 8% abv, this beer is dangerously easy to quaff. Hoppy grapefruit juice. Mmm.

The feel is light to medium bodied with a very nice feel on the palate. The finish brings a healthy dose of dryness and bitter hops.

Overall, a terrific beer and well worth trying. I've been pretty impressed with everything I have had from Lawson's Finest Liquids so far.

03-21-2011 23:56:01 | More by Huhzubendah