Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Wants: 3,109
Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.
Reviews: 308 | Hads: 1,942

Serving: bottle

Appearance: Just like the name says, bright sunshine, slight haze.

Smell: Big citrus, grapefruit. Then some pine.

Taste: More grapefruit and soft malt, crisp pine finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and clean, almost dry quenching.

Overall: Definitely the best DIPA I've had, and probably the best beer overall.

One of the finest beers I have ever tasted. We came up for the lawsons anniversary and tried many of the best beers in the world at hill farmstead and alchemist. I have now had all of the top 10 except VBDL. I think this is my new favorite. Sunshine is the best of the 8 or so lawsons I tried this weekend.

Had this on tap at ACBF in Boston on June 1st. I tried every IPA there and some showed well but Double Sunshine was a stunner. I mean many 95-100 IPA's just paled in comparison. They seemed lackluster, which is a shame because alone they are excellent brews.

The nose is massive citrus, the flavor is huge grapefruit/orange/pineapple, and its bitterness is so smooth. My wife commented that it tasted like a summer day. I wish I could pump this into my veins!

As far as IPA's go Double Sunshine is more seamless than most IPA's made today. Lawson's makes some top notch beer. If you ever wanted to try a 100 point IPA, get some of this!

Bottom Line: Utterly fantastic! Memorable and beyond!

4.99/5  rDev +9%

This is an amazing brew! a citrus, orange aroma smacks you in the face when poured into the goblet. The appearance is very cloudy so this is the only drawback to this beer but really who cares what it looks like. The taste is legendary! Pliny, Heady, Abrasive status. This is a must seek, must have beer for any IPA lover. One of the finest, well crafted beers I have ever had...period!A crisp mouthfeel completes this truly incredible beer.

Bottom Line: Legendary IPA!

4.99/5  rDev +9%

Bottled around 1/16. Poured from a bottle into a snifter. The appearance is hazy but nothing untypical of an unfiltered DIPA. A fellow taster noted that it's actually pretty clean for being unfiltered. Deep hazy yellow color with bright white head. Smell is of tropical and citrus hops. The taste is the same. Very hoppy yet very balanced. This beer finishes really hoppy yet not too bitter. Hops linger on the tongue reminding you how delicious it is and leaves you wanting more. The perfect Double IPA!

4.99/5  rDev +9%

Poured from gold foil capped bottle into tulip glass. Poured a nice medium amber color with excellent clarity for the first pour. Thin white head with nice carbonation. Later pours were quite cloudy. The hops really come through in the nose, with nice citrus, tropical, and pine scents. The taste is phenomenal with tons of tropical fruit, balanced malt, and a very slight bitterness on the end. Mouthfeel was very refreshing and crisp. This is an extremely well balanced IPA that matches its description perfectly.

4.98/5  rDev +8.7%

S- Bomber bottle poured into a snifter
A- Poured this beer in thirds... First pour was Gin clear, 2nd pour was slightly hazy, and the final pour was quite hazy
S- WOW simply amazing! Nuff Said!
T- Super clean, super fresh and outstandingly refreshing!
M- Outstanding!
O- This beer is right there with the best of the best! Everyone likes to compare Pliny the Elder and Heady Topper but in my opinion this is better suited for the Pliny argument! These beers have more similarity. Double Sunshine gets the nod over Pliny in my opinion! Such an amazing beer! This beer is about as close to flawless as you can get! Looking forward to the Triple Sunshine!

4.98/5  rDev +8.7%

I had this at ACBF on Friday and went back 4 times just to make sure I tried it enough to write a coherent and honest review about it. I truly cannot find anything wrong about this beer. When the person poured me my allotment each time, I kept getting blown away. The aroma is, honestly, the closet thing we have to 'Ambrosia'. Every fruit you can think of: pineapple, mango, papaya, cantaloupe, grapefruit. Its the same for the flavor profile.

If I could say ONE little tiny criticism, is that the mouthfeel/flavor was just a TAD too sweet for me, but I am just nitpicking at this point. An absolutely amazing DIPA that I am lucky I got to have multiple tastings of.

4.98/5  rDev +8.7%

Had this on Tap at the Three Penny tap room in Montpeliet VT this weekend. Had a hard time decideing between the 3 different hill farmstead offerings, rising tide calcutta cutter, and Heady Topper but i was very happy i choose the Lawsons. To me this beer is a more well rounded heady topper. the taste has alot of simialarities but the mouthfeel of this beer is just so much better. The color was great and the aroma was out of this world. This beer is outstanding. So much going on with this one. Was blessed to get to try it on tap while i was there being the local bevy sold out of there delivery in 45 mins. If you are anywhere in the local viscinity of this beer on tap drop everything and get there if theres any left!

So happy when I received this in the GIF I'm in. Thanks baconsausage

Pours a slightly hazy golden color. Thin white head and a bit of lacing. For an IPA it could use more head and lacing.

Aroma is amazing. Every fruit and citrus hop aroma you can think of. Mango, peach, apricot, grapefruit, orange. Amazing. Maybe the best smelling IPA I have had.

Taste is great. Citrucy hops. Little bit of malt. I think I taste some Nelson hops. Great.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry how I like my IPA's. Great carb.

Overall an awesome IPA that I hope I can get again. So glad I got to try one.

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

This is a phenomenal ipa. This beer pours a golden yellow color with light orange hues. The smell is citrus and pine hops all rolled into one. The flavor is hugely hoppy with a real hop bite the citrus comes through first then the piney hops forward the middle followed by a bitter dry hop bite. This is the reason lawsons won the ipa crown. This beer has a nice light to medium body with good carbonations and a crisp bitter bite. Overall tied for my top two favorite ipas the other being Abner from hill farmstead.

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer is a clear, golden hue with a thick finger of white head that leaves a generous amount of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is awesome, and I know right away that I'm in for a treat. Pine, grapefruit, melon, citrus.

The taste does not disappoint, bringing a healthy dose of fresh hops and citrus fruits. Alcohol content is masked extremely well in both the aroma and flavor. At 8% abv, this beer is dangerously easy to quaff. Hoppy grapefruit juice. Mmm.

The feel is light to medium bodied with a very nice feel on the palate. The finish brings a healthy dose of dryness and bitter hops.

Overall, a terrific beer and well worth trying. I've been pretty impressed with everything I have had from Lawson's Finest Liquids so far.

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

Got this from a verrry generous IP trade. Pours a hazy orange with a half inch tight, white head. Aroma was sweet grapefruit and malt. Taste was just amazing....Nice citrus, floral flavors. Finishes with a beautifully smooth maltiness. Trying not to fall too deeply in love as this is a tough get. Highly recommended to anyone venturing to the northern reaches of Vermont. Imagine; Double Sunshine, HT & HF within half an hour of each other....Wow.

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from bottle into Bruery snifter.

This beer pours a cloudy neon orange. Large head quickly settles to form an uneven layer on the beer. Thick lacing all down the glass.
The smell, seriously....this smell of HUGE citrus. I could sniff this ALL day long.
Taste is wonderful; sweet and bitter all at once. There is a nice fresh hop oil presence. Big and bold, this is not subtle....but it isn't brash. It's big and bold in the best way possible. This shit is off the hizzle!!
My mouth is in heaven. When a take a big mouthful of this sexy woman in my mouth I want to leave her linger there, savoring the silky feel of her. Thick and full, this beer hits the mark.
This is a Hell of a beer. A rare treat for sure, I hope to enjoy this again!!

Had to update my review. Seriously, this is as perfect as a beer can get.

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

This poured out as a very nice looking yellow color with a fluffy white head on top. The head retention is strong and the lacing is very good too. The smell is loaded with floral, fruity and citrus aromas. The smell is almost addictive. The taste of the beer is solid as well, lots of piney citrus and melon flavors with a great malt backbone as well. The mouthfeel of the beer is very drinkable, soft and refreshing. Overall it's excellent. Very happy to have tried this beer finally.

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

Double Sunshine currently ranks as my all-time favorite beer, though it should be noted that this distinction is strictly reserved for the multiple batches of 2014 bombers and drafts I sampled throughout the spring and summer of that year.

Those delightful golden batches of Double Sunshine were without a doubt the best DIPA's in the world.

Subsequent tastings and revisits of this beer have fallen a bit short of what I remember this beer to be, but overall there is no beer better than Double Sunshine.

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

Picked it up at The Warren Store, Warren Vt.
22oz. bottle with foil top.
Poured into oversized Duvel snifter so I can get my nose into it and inhale the citrus love.

A- Poured out a beautiful golden hue that became clear enough to read the label through the other side of my glass. Amazing for an unfiltered brew. Well done.

S- Citrus explosion... juicy juicy juicy... yum. Tropical notes...grapefruit... yum

T- Amazing... this is what I crave in an IPA. Great flavor profile... hoppy and well balanced. Crisp and refreshing.

M- Light bodied and incredibly light on the tongue. Carbonation is right on the money.

O- I've had most of the others in the top 10 DIPA's...( Pliny E and Y, Heady Topper etc) and I gotta say-- Double Sunshine is top notch. Lawson really knocks it out of the park with this one. Can't wait until I get back to VT. and get more.

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

On tap at Hen in the Woods restaurant in Burlington.

A: It pours like every other DIPA, dark yellow/light orange color, hazy, pure white head, good lacing and good retention.

S: This is juicy stuff. Tons of fresh (slighlty unriped) pineapples, peaches, mango, clementines. A very sour but very tropical juice. Then, you get some of grass like hops that is typical to Vermont it seems. Sugars seem low.

T: This is extremely tasty, tons of sour pineapples, peaches, mango and clementines just attack the tongue right at the beginning. Super fruity and juicy. Then you get a real solid hop smash of dry-ness that never gets chalky, but is always on the side of citrus peels and grass. A light sweetness lingers on after the storm to remind you of the fruit notes. Amazing.

M: Super light and never sticky, just like I love my DIPA's.

D: This is superbly drinkable. Like any top tier DIPA, you don't feel the alcohol at all and it has a similar level of drinkability as a tropical fruit juice.

THIS IS IT! This is the best DIPA I've ever had. It's the perfect blend of fruits, sourness, dryness, and just enough sweetness. This is a top tier beer and, to my tastebuds, this is better than Heady Topper. Damn near perfect if you ask me.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Fortunate enough to find some of this brew at the notorious Winooski Bevvy. At $10 a bomber, I figured it was worth a try. Served in a Fiddlehead snifter.

A: Cloudy, beautiful. Somewhere between yellow and orange--a bit different from some of the IPAs I've had of late.

S: Overwhelming citrus hop profile, with an emphasis--as the label description alludes to--on tropical notes.

T: Akin to the aroma, this beer is overflowing with juicy, refreshing, fruity tropical hop flavors. I could drink this again and again.

M: Perfect & supple.

O: Having had what I believe to be some of the best beers Vermont has to offer, I somewhat reluctantly decided to give Lawson's a try despite the relatively steep pricetag. It's an obligation, really, when so many would kill to try such an amazing beer from a fantastic brewery. And, despite the fact that, even living just an hour or so from Warren, Lawson's beers are still relatively unreliable to come by, I am extremely grateful I dropped $10 on this guy. Double Sunshine is undoubtedly one of the best--if not THE best--DIPA I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. It is very much on par, for me, with some of Hill's best stuff in the category. Finally, this beer did something I had previously thought impossible--that is, make Heady Topper feel relatively subdued and simple. Try it if you can.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Had on tap at the Reservoir Taproom in Waterbury, VT. Why did I get only one pour?

The best beer I had from many I tried on my Vermont trip. Pours and looks like orange pineapple juice. Smells like pure citrus hops, juicy and ripe as all hell. Tastes like what I imagine heaven is like- so fruity, citrusy. The hops are having sex with my mouth. Light bitterness lingers on the palate with each sip.

Medium bodied, great carbonation. Unbelievably drinkable, no alcohol presence.

Thank god for this beer.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Golden slightly hazy beautiful white head nice lacing

S: Just an overwhelming amount of citrus and tropical scents in the nose this jumps out at you

T: Kiwi, melon, grapefruit, berries just every tropical fruit you can imagine soothing your taste buds before fading to a biscuity refreshing malt character and very little bitterness.

M: Medium bodied and fairly dry

O: World class. Had this just before Heady and preferred this. Just an incredible beer. Preferred by me over Pliny as well.

Can... not... type...

Thank you Dean for this wonderful treat! Pours a light, cloudy orange with a very small head and some lacing. This is the only score under a 5.0 for me. THE NOSE IS OUTRAGEOUS. Pine, cannabis, vines, sap. Taste is virtually indescribable. Front end is all pine, leaves, and sap. Massive bitterness. It moves into a brief sugar cookie sweetness, then blasts with rich, citrus flavors. Finishes pretty dry and a touch of biscuity malt. HOLY EFF!!! No alcohol present. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side for the style, which I prefer. Overall a 5.0. This is in the elite class of IIPAs for me with Younger, Heady Topper, and Barley Brown's Tankslapper being the only other beers in this league. Find this. Drink it. Love life.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to Mikeypnh for the trade! Pours a hazy golden with thick white head that settles into a thin cap. Good retention and excellent lacing. As looks go, this is one good looking Imperial IPA. Lots going on in the aroma - tropical fruit, citrus, hints of pine and a distinct cat urine aroma. The best word to describe the nose - WOW! Sweet citrus hits the tongue first quickly followed by a strong hop bitterness in the middle and through the finish. All that Hoppiness is beautifully balanced by a solid malt backbone. Layered, complex, balanced, this IPA has it all.
Medium bodied with good carbonation and a dry, bitter finish. Overall, this is textbook DIPA; tropical fruit, bitter pine resin, balanced by a sweet malt bill, this might be the quintessential DIPA. One of the best crafted DIPAs out there!

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

This is the exact opposite of Heady. Do not drink this directly from the container. Good god, if you never listen to another word I say please pay attention now: do not drink this direct from the bottle. You will deprive yourself of the most heavenly IPA aroma any American brewer has ever before created.

Aside from the aroma, it's an excellent example of its style and one of the 20 or so best beers I've ever had.

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Served from a bomber into an Alchemist Will Becher glass.

Appearance- Moderately clear gold with full foamy two finger head that lingers long leaving great lacing.

Smell- Big pineapple, tangerine, peach, white grape, green apples, vanilla, earthy grass and pine. No booze smell or real malt aromas.

Taste- Flavors of the aromas are present. A soft vanilla mixed with the pine and grass are standing out wonderfully. Finsih is green grapes and nectarines. No hint of booze what so ever.

Mouthfeel- Perfect body for an IPA. Smooth, no heat, medium-full carbonation, nice resinous quality. Super easy drinking.

Overall- The best IPA there is. I had it on tap in the summer at 3 penny and I've been dying to try it again. I wish it was easier to come by.

Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids