Join our email list →

Lawson's Finest Liquids
Vermont, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.00% ABV

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.
Reviews: 322 | Hads: 1,993
4.81/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz. bottle poured into snifter.

A= Copper, but not red/amber, hint of orange. A little bit of haze, but fairly clear compared to many NE IPA/DIPA. The lacing is seriously crazy, sticky, syrupy, beautiful.

S= A bit more muted, a bit less in my face than expected, but still appealing. I get tropical, citrus (especially grapefruit and orange zest) as well as some malt sweetness and pine.

T= Deep hoppy flavors, mostly tropical fruits but definitely some earthy dankness, pine, and malt sweetness. I want to drink more.

M= Fairly full bodied with a bit of syrupy feel on the palate. Moderate carbonation.

O= This met my expectations. I have had Triple Sunshine multiple times, but rarely get a full bottle of this. I love Sip of S, but this is a completely different beer and blows it out of the water.

4.49/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally had one and it was worth the weight. The smell was fantastic. Pine and citrus truly shine through here. SOS on steroids. Wasn't easy to find but I would get it again in a heartbeat. Don't pass this one up.

Bottle poured into a snifter glass with a hazy copper color (not too dark though) with a decent amount of white frothy head. There is a good amount of lacing as the head subsides. The aroma was straight dank; you get a lot of pine and citrus with this one. The taste pretty much follows suit with a nice even balance throughout the whole bottle. The mouth feel has solid carbonation (not too much, not too little) with a slight dry finish on the palate. The hype surrounding this beer is definitely real. Lawson's totally delivered with this one!! Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not sure if there was something off with this batch, but it was not the beer most people remembered at a blind tasting. In fact, it finished at the bottom of 15 other top flight double IPAs.

3.5/5  rDev -23.4%

Acquired via trade and was told it was from a "recent batch", no bottle date, so I really don't know how fresh this was. Interesting citrus aroma/taste, but overall, I found this very disappointing. This was by no means a standout double IPA, very underwhelming. I shared the bottle with 2 friends that agreed that this just wasn't very good. I'd be very interested to try this again, knowing that the bottle was fresh, but until then, my rating will stand as-is.

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours an amber color. Great citrus and orange smell. Perfect combo of sweet and hoppy with a bit of resin/pine after taste. Awesome beer glad I traded for it.

4.32/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours bright orange, hazy, unfiltered with a one finger head. Smells of sweet orange and citrus, floral. Taste is sweet and smooth, with a caramel sort-of malt. Hoppier than Sip of Sunshine for sure. Finish is dry and bitter. Overall, pretty good. Well above average, but for Lawson's -- they've done better. I may actually take a standard Sip of Sunshine over this beer. I think the Triple Sunshine stood out a bit more than this as well. Still... a nice DIPA, and I'm really glad to have tried it.

4.87/5  rDev +6.6%

Received it in a trade. Probably had to give up too much for it, but nonetheless, it's a fantastic beer. Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. Decent amount of foam and lacing. Smell is hoppy and floral and the taste matches. Both bitter and sweet on the tongue. Thoroughly enjoy it. Would certainly drink again (psyched I have a second bottle).

4.74/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Right up there with good morning, Focal Banger and triple sunshine. Extremely soft/fluffy mouthfeel, very easy to drink and just an absolute juicebomb of a beer. Wish this was more readily available!

4.34/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

To be brutally honest Double Sunshine is a darn good beer...but it ends there. Drove to Winooski, waited in line from just after 5a to secure my bottle (HT and Sip too) and this just missed the mark for me. A bit muted compared with the other ales I've had from Lawsons. Having had Kiwi and Triple Play on multiple occasions, which I would stand in the cold to get again, the DS was meh.

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Amberish in color, not very cloudy. Filtered.
L - Much like Sip of Sunshine it is very fruity and floral
T-It starts out quite bitter in a grapefruit sense but there's some citrus there as well. Finishes piney
F-Light, well carbonated, and the finish is dry due to the bitterness. O- excellent brew. Sought this out for so long and glad I finally got to have it!

Had this for the first time tonight and WOW. This is a perfect beer in my opinion. I'm a huge ipa/dipa fan and this stands alone. I love Heady topper and it would be a mistake to compare it with double sunshine because they are completely different. This beer has a ton of fruit and floral on the nose and very full mouthfeel. Amazing. I'm glad I have two more to savor. Seek this out!

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

This is one of the better beers I've ever had. I prefer it to Lawson's Sip of Sunshine. For me, the nose is much cleaner and the after taste brighter, more floral, and cleaner. Its floral notes are strong but perfectly balanced, and the hops are not overpowering. Perfect IPA.

3.9/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Lawson's tulip glass. Acquired in a trade.

Pours a deep amber body with a nice frothy white head that sticks around for a while, leaving some lacing and a good amount of retention that sits on the surface for a while.

Aromas seem muted and subdued.. I get some grapefruit and pine, peppery and floral hops, a little buttery diacetyl, sweet caramel maltyness. Doesn't smell as potent or inviting as others.

Upfront on the tongue is sweet caramel malt, followed by grapefruit/citrus rind bitterness, floral notes, creamy orange sorbet, but it takes a hit because I still get a buttery diaceytl off-note that distracts from the overall hop character.. on the finish is a somewhat cloying bitterness. A little off-balance. Mouthfeel is medium with medium carbonation.

Somewhat underwhelmed by Double Sunshine.. between the muted aroma and odd flavor profile, I probably wouldn't seek this out again, but I am happy that I got to try it!

4.33/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz bomber with no discernible bottling date.

The pour is a slightly hazy, bright golden orange color. The head is a 2-finger, beautiful soapy white color. Whilst the head dissipates rather quickly, it leaves some gorgeous cobweb lacing around the glass.

The aroma is booming with floral notes, but has a nice balance of tropical fruit aromas and pine resin as well. I get notes of grapefruit, orange, and tangerine, as well as some pineapple. There's plenty of bitterness there but it's balanced out by the sweetness of the tropical fruits. Not getting a lot of malt here, however.

The taste starts off bitter, and even slightly tart, but is followed by the sweet orange and pineapple character. The back end returns to bitterness from the piney, earthy notes. Very dry, but not a lingering dryness. Very floral and very tropical. The cracker malt just barely makes its presence known as the beer warms.

The mouth is medium-bodied with pretty good carbonation. Once again, very dry, but the dry bitterness does not linger for long.

Overall, while I'm not sure this beer meets the hype it receives, it is still an absolutely fantastic version of the style and one that is absolutely worth seeking out. I've been trying to get my hands (and lips) on this beer for quite some time now, and I am ecstatic that I was finally able to.

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Overall, a great DIPA - extremely well balanced elite mouthfeel keeps you coming back for more. One of, if not the, most balanced DIPA I have had the pleasure to try!

1.9/5  rDev -58.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Released Nov 12, 2015, opened Nov 21, 2015

A - Beautiful pour. Three fingers of bone-white head on top of a bright peach gold body. Nice retention and lace.

S - Really odd nose. Roast beef and strawberry jam... hopefully there isn't something wrong with the bottle.

O - Unfortunately there is definitely something wrong with this bottle. Malt body with pine, cilantro and a touch of citrus but then loaded with a off-flavor of roast beef through the finish.

M - Smooth medium body.

O - A contaminated bottle. Sucks given how much we traded to get it :(

4.59/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

So nice to revisit last night after a long absence. Wish it were available more often. Wonderful beer. One of my top 5 DIPAs. More juicy than heady. More dank than haze. It's a nice combination of tropical and resiny. Classic Lawson's mouthfeel. Nose isn't social and it's a tiny bit too sweet for me, but otherwise almost perfect.

4.09/5  rDev -10.5%

L-The pour is cloudy and golden. The head is immense and makes me wait for it recede to finish my pour.
S- Much like Sip of Sunshine it is very fruity and floral.
T-It starts out quite bitter in a grapefruity way. My palate eventually adjust and I find myself enjoying the beer longer the more I drink it.
F-Light, well carbonated, and the finish is dry due to the bitterness.
O- Another very good IPA from Lawson's. I feel like it it too similar to sip though. Still glad I got a chance to try it.

4.6/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very traditional look. Bronze orange one finger head that stays very well. Elite lacing. Great clean hop smell. Get the scent from a few feet away. Noticeable malt backbone. A dank resin on the taste and feel. Some orange & peel. A little juicy and a little sticky. Medium carbonation.

4.18/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomber bought at Winooski Beverage Warehouse. This was poured into a Lawson’s tulip. The appearance was a hazy burnt orange almost brown color with a one finger white to off white foamy head that concaved gracefully to leave some bubbles inside of a thin white cap. The smell starts off with a sweet onion up front and then some light tropical fruits and a delicate sweet and bitter sprucy piney stickiness. The taste was mainly bitter backed up by a light sweet tropical fruit revolving around the pine. Bitter sticky piney-ness leading into the aftertaste and finish. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium in body with a good sipping quality and a danky sweet stickiness clinging to my tongue. Some slight hop oils lay down to want to allow a certain slick feel, but still indicates a well balanced oily to slick and clinginess on my tongue. Overall, what a wonderful DIPA that I know I would have again.

4.6/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent brew. Wonderfully smooth and easy to drink. Go's down nice and full of flavor. I had several of Lawsons brews on a recent VT run and this was my fave. Would certainly enjoy on my next VT pilgimmage.

One of the DIPA's that started it all for me. Had it after a Heady, and loved the different hop flavor, so much citrus, both on the nose and palette.

3.75/5  rDev -17.9%

Bottle shared by Seth. Clear pale yellow pour. Grapefruity hop aromas. Super dry with floral and herbal notes. A little unbalanced. Above average body. Average mouthfeel. Didn't quite live up to all the hype.

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Hazy dark orange body, three fingers of pure white level foam, plenty of carbonation streams. Lacing is a perfect film.

Huge fresh inviting citrus aroma. Grapefruit, orange, but of lemon, peach.

A quick base of sweet malt, big blast of fresh juicy fruit, quick bitter nip, and it all lingers long into the afterglow.

Medium, bubbly, prickly mouthfeel that dances along the tongue.

Simply outstanding. Lives up to all the build up.

Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids