Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Wants: 2,899
Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.
Ratings: 1,892 | Reviews: 313
4.52/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had a glass of this at Blackback in Waterbury. From notes.

A - Poured cloudy orange with a ton of carbonation. One finger of off white head and good spotty lace with a film of retention.

S - Juicy. Holy hell. Juicy bright hops. Hops from all directions. Grapefruit and pineapple for sure.

T - Really nice hop profile. Bright. Mango, sweet fruit, resin, peach, and lovely floral notes. Beautiful.

M - Nice strong bitterness. Oily. Good carbonation, medium body.

O/D - A really nice DIPA. Really lovely with so much complexity and great flavours. Nice to sip and figure out while being easy to drink. Good stuff.

3.92/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Tapped at 3pm on 3/2/2013 at Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. Served in a standard pint. Pours a light, golden-orange hue with a dense, half-inch, cream-colored head embedded with tiny pinpricks. Nose is fairly subdued with some light citrusy notes only really coming forth. Taste reveals citrus, buttermilk and an earthy/herbal quality. Finish expresses a slight biscuity character. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a creamy texture and a slightly oily quality. An easy drinking IPA, but not what I would consider a DIPA per se (perhaps it's the cask conditioning). I was lead to believe that Double Sunshine was a juicy DIPA loaded with fruit; however, I don't get this here. I'll have to see how the presentation in the bottle compares with the cask.

4.32/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a lightly hazed golden orange. Head is exact. Off-white and dense but still tall. This beer retains its cap perfectly. This surely looks the part; especially with the lacing it leaves.

S-Nose is piney and blatantly hop-forward. Definitely stresses the abrasive pine and grass qualities more than the tropical/fruity aspects. Grains and cracker malt. Mild caramel. Floral hoppiness too.

T-Akin to the nose. Green grass and heaps of pine. Grains back up the coercive piney flavors. You get some moderate citrus and grapefruit. Florals kick in too. Finishes quite bitter and piney. Tastes great but could use a bit more complexity.

M-Medium body with moderate carbonation. Finish is dry and endlessly bitter. Resinous.

O/D-Overall, this did not live up to the hype. Nowhere near one of the best beers I have tried. It's clearly an above average Imperial IPA; but thats the ceiling for this beer. This is not in the same realm as others from the state of VT.

4.65/5  rDev -0.6%

Big thanks to mikesgroove for dropping bombs on my palate during Hobo Cookout #1 and sharing this with me! Bottle #53 from Batch #174! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured a hazy yellow-orange with a two finger slightly off-white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of swee malt, mango, grapefruit, citrus, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, mango, citrus, grapefruit, citrus hop, grapefruit hop, and subtle marijuana. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. Really great in all aspects on this one. The flavor completely floored me on how fresh and potent it was... Really glad I got the chance to try this one and if you have not, you should as well as it is definitely worth it!

3.95/5  rDev -15.6%

pour is light golden peach, faint haze, tight white head. The nose is of tropical fruit and faint herbal note. Taste of light doughy malt, strong tropical citrusy fruit, notes of peaches, herbal vegetal I'm the back with an assertive bitterness and moderate carbonation. The body is oily medium body, slick on the back of the tongue bordering a nice velvety finish.

4.91/5  rDev +4.9%

Got to try this at the bottle share during Hunahpu Day 2012. Thanks to all you guys at the J-Table that enabled me to try so many good brews, and had me wasted by 11 am. As for this brew, Heady Topper to date is my favorite ipa/dipa i've ever had. This is a very close second. Cheers

Side by side with heady topper and dc brau on the wings of armageddon on 3/2/14.

Agree with my original tasting review, only thing that I would like to add is this has the best nose on it imo of any DIPA i've ever had. Still take heady overall as my favorite, but the nose on this thing is the best. cheers

4.42/5  rDev -5.6%

Thanks to spycow and the rest of the Chicago Crew for leaving me a tickable portion of this bottle.

A - Yellow colored beer that was a touch hazy, white head bubbled up. Little bit of stick left on the sides for a nice looking beer.

S - Awesome good. Citrus, pineapple, tropical fruit, subtle touch of pine, and a hint of resin. Pretty much as good as it gets on the nose.

T - Taste is right up there with the best DIPAs I've had. Tropical fruit is great and not too sweet. There is enough malt precense to give it body, but you really don't notice it. Good bitterness to it.

M - Medium bodied, refreshing carbonation.

O - Awesome beer, I want more. One of the better crafted DIPAs I've had in some time.

4.25/5  rDev -9.2%

Thanks to baconsausage for my first taste of Lawson's. I've been digging these tiny breweries lately & more excited to try their stuff than most saltwater amphibians. Shared with my wife as the last beer on a quiet Friday night after an afternoon of ice fishing.

Bottle #17. Pour is quite the ray of sunshine in a glass; I also like Lawson's simple, cool label. Smell is juicy hops.

Juicy is the word on the bottle, & the word to describe Double Sunshine. This is the JuicyFruit of IPAs, I kind of expect pulp to be dripping down my chin. Huge floral, piney hops. There's earthiness in there too. Tongue-numbing bitterness lays about my tongue & mouth-skin. The only drawback is that dusty, dirty taste that sticks around in the aftertaste.

I don't know what hops were used to make this, & I suspect the freshness is showing, but this is pure hop-head territory. Not much in the way of depth, no subtlety, negative amounts of malts were clearly used in the recipe. That's the way an IPA should be made. Hop-forward. I like it. Excellent beer.

4.67/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bomber from caguiar.

Pours a hazy golden orange with a small wispy white head that recedes to a swirl of foam and thick collar.

Aroma is massively hoppy with mostly juicy citrus hops - pithy white grapefruit and orange zest. Some lemongrass and pien resin underneath the citrus. There is a bit of bready malt sweetness but definitely not a lot of balance in the nose.

The taste has a mix of oranges and pineapple citrus with a hefty floral dankness with some herbal and grassy notes. The finish is bitter and resinous.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodiied and well carbonated. I do get a hint of alcohol burn in the finish which surprised me a little but didn't take away from the beer.

Another outstanding hoppy beer from Lawson's. I was a big fan of the Triple Play I just tasted and this is even better I think.

4.68/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark orange with a foamy white head. Aroma of fresh herbal hops, exotic fruits, lemon, citrus, grapefruit, grass, pine and resin. Taste is hoppy, fruity and grassy with notes of herbal hops, grapefruit, bitterness and lemon. Finish is fruity, herbal and hoppy with loads of bitterness, grass, pine, resin, citrus and lemon. Nicely hopped, herbal and fruity DIPA. Well balanced.

4.22/5  rDev -9.8%

Note's from Captain Lawrence Rosso Batch 3 release / tasting:

Lawsons Double Sunshine – very murky yellow…nice looking. Not much head, a few glass swirls builds a little head. Good carbonation. Very murky. OOH nice sweaty, sticky hops smell…very balanced and really smells beautiful. Very nicely balanced flavor…perhaps could back off the hops a bit, they are sticky and sweaty. Bitter finish. Mouth it’s good. Overall another good ipa/iipa, but a little too bitter on my palette, but I could understand a lot of people going wild for this one. Cheers

4.94/5  rDev +5.6%

Had on tap at the Reservoir Taproom in Waterbury, VT. Why did I get only one pour?

The best beer I had from many I tried on my Vermont trip. Pours and looks like orange pineapple juice. Smells like pure citrus hops, juicy and ripe as all hell. Tastes like what I imagine heaven is like- so fruity, citrusy. The hops are having sex with my mouth. Light bitterness lingers on the palate with each sip.

Medium bodied, great carbonation. Unbelievably drinkable, no alcohol presence.

Thank god for this beer.

4.94/5  rDev +5.6%

This is the exact opposite of Heady. Do not drink this directly from the container. Good god, if you never listen to another word I say please pay attention now: do not drink this direct from the bottle. You will deprive yourself of the most heavenly IPA aroma any American brewer has ever before created.

Aside from the aroma, it's an excellent example of its style and one of the 20 or so best beers I've ever had.

4.17/5  rDev -10.9%

Served on-tap in Vermont.

Appearance is a cloudy orange tone with one finger of a bright white head. Its` nose has pineapple, lemons, hop resin. This a beer with a fantastic nose, perhaps a bit "dank" but nice. Moving on to the taste, there are citrus hops, good bitterness, some bread. Mouthfeel is medium with a rather dry finish which lingers for some time. All in all, a very nice DIPA, not as nice as a certain beer made a few towns away.

4.81/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Review #1000. Woo.

Double Sunshine pours about medium orange. Darker than I expected. It's quite hazy, and that cloudiness makes the color seem a bit flat, rather than glowy. On the other hand, it has a truly excellent head. The foam is a bit rocky and bone white. Very good retention. A couple inches of bubbles stayed up for a long time, and there's lots of lacing. Bubbles are all over the walls of the glass.

The aroma is a superb tropic fruit salad of hoppiness. Pineapple and mango for days. There's also some bright tangerine, lemon and peach flavors in the mix and a touch of pine at the end. Best of all, the aroma is fresh and strong. Hops hit me right as the cap came off the bottle. Juicy as can be. There's probably a touch of pale malt in the background, but this is a hop party.

The taste is similarly loaded to the gills with tropical fruit hop flavors, though there's a bit more citrus to it. It tastes like pineapple-tangerine joy. It's sweet and bright, but the hops show a little muscle with some solid bitterness that courses through each sip. However, it's among the most flavorful bitter hop notes that I've come across, just a perfect level to keep the sweetness from running away. Mild honey-ish pale malt flavors hold up all of these wonderful hop flavors, and it stays appropriately out of the way. Finish is long and full of pineapple, pine and grapefruit hop flavors.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full, but the beer still seems pretty light. There's a very pleasant hop oiliness to the beer. Carbonation is pretty normal. Good stuff.

This is an absolutely wonderful beer. I've had a lot of DIPAs, and this one is way up near the top for me. The hop flavors are big, juicy and bright, and the tropical fruitiness is just great. I particularly like the flavor-packed taste, which doesn't scrimp too much on bitterness. The malt doesn't get in the way, and there are simply no real flaws to point out. Lawson's is an absolutely wonderful brewer, and I'm happy to have this beer mark a reviewing milestone for me.

The beer comes in a hazy dark orange yellow color.

The aroma is hugely hoppy of tropical fruits. Juicy peaches, mango, as well as grapefruit and a bit of pine and earthy herbal and grassiness. Almost a Sunny D juicy or absurdly sweet fruit aroma.

The flavor follows with that tropical fruit and grapefruit citrus note in the front. It goes on and on with juicy tropical, oranges, tangerine, sweet mango, pineapple, passionfruit. Just an onslaught of juicy hops like no other beer. The middle has a light bready honey malt that adds a bit of sweetness. The finish transitions to earthy herbal hoppy and pine notes, fresh and bitter grapefruit peel. A strong bitterness on the finish, but with that "hop juice" flavor throughout.

The oats do this beer a wonder with a viscous, medium plus body that flows beautifully under the tongue.

I had it in a blind taste against Abner and Heady Topper, which I thought was my favorite beer of all time. This is now my favorite beer of all time.

4.47/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber courtesy of TheLostGringo, poured into a Gandhi-Bot tulip. Been pining after this one for quite some time.

A: Very slightly hazed pale amber body under an inch of fine off-white head. Standard retention, plenty of delicate lace. Attractive.

S: Much more subdued than I was expecting, but once I stick my nose down in the glass I get some nice ripe tangerine balanced against a keen minty herbal note. Lovely, but not the room-filling hoppiness I was hoping for.

T: My first sip more than makes up for any disappointment I felt from the nose, as this is a truly delicious brew. Richly juicy citrus hops are front and center, with orange, tangerine, grapefruit, and mango. Underneath the sweet hops is a layer of pleasantly bready malt, followed by clean herbal bitterness on the finish. Absolutely phenomenal.

M: Soft, well-carbonated medium body. Velvety.

O: Great. I think I'd still take Heady or S&S #5 over this, but it would be a tough decision. Worth the hype, and by far my favorite Lawson's IPA.

Cheers!

4.65/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #400!

Huge thanks to lalaloveyou for trading this beer to me! Thanks Lauren! I have wanted to try this beer for a long time!

reviewed from notes on 6/15/12.

poured into duvel tulip.

Appearance: Golden yellow bodied beer with big 2 fingers of white head. Nice lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell: Really citrusy. Tons of oranges and tagerines. Some grapefruit and pineapple. Buttermilk biscuits and cracker like malts.

Taste: moderate bitterness. The orange, lemon zest, and mangos are really big in the hop profile of this beer. Its crazy and I like it! Pineapple and a hint of resinous pine complete this hop profile. Hops are mostly citrusy / fruity and a malts add a touch of bready sweetness to the mix.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. This beer is so damn drinkable. With a light and dry finish that screams awesomeness!

Overall: This is a really awesome brew that really lives the hype. Great taste and balance; really a fantastic brew by lawsons! This is my second Lawson beer and this one did not dissapoint!

4.35/5  rDev -7.1%

1385th Review on BA
Bottle to HF Stem
22oz

Thanks to BA Tony32408 for this one

App- More of a dark orange with a good haze to it being unfiltered. A little murky and a little heavy looking. A small one finger white head with fast receding bubbles formed and left some good lace lines, not great but was nice.

Smell- When you open the cap you get little whiffs of the citrus inside the bottle. Nice aromatics with tropical notes coming forward early. A bit of pineapple, mango and tangering. A stronger pull leaves some of the impending creamy hops and pine flavors with a little bit of the thicker booze from the 8%

Taste- This was a very balanced large abv DIPA. The 8% is there but is very well layered in between what I am going to a a lush creamy hoppy flavor intermixed with a small smidgen of pine and resin flavors. For a large DIPA, not overly dry either. The creaminess brings the flavors together very nicely.

Mouth- This really was a very good beer on the palate. A bit of a thicker medium body with a creamy hoppy and fruity residual flavor. A good amount of bubbles but more of a thicker carbonation as well.

Drink- An outstanding DIPA from VT. Becoming a trend and I like it!! I am glad I live near alpine and have access to it, because I'd go broke trading for this guy all the time.

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had a few fantastic Lawson's IPAs, but this appears to be their coup de gras! Lets see...

Pours, well, sunny. Yellow, mild haze, bright orange tones, bright white finger of head, fairly lacy. The aroma is good, but not hugely pungent. Herbal hops mixed with a jarring bit of tropical fruits dominate. Taste though, is a tropical fruit laden punch in the mouth. Mango and pineapple, robust herbal notes orange and grapefruit, with a soft maltiness and medium bitterness. Solid upper medium feel with good carbonation lends a lighter, refreshing feel and a dangerous drinkability.

All in all, this IIPA is every bit worth the trouble to get...or no trouble all cuz miamilice is a beast and extra'd it. Thanks Matt!

4.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into Gulden Draak tulip. Batch 211, bottle 46. Huge thanks to SneezyAchew for sending this my way. This is apparently my 500th beer review. Let’s not get all mushy.

A: Pours a light golden-amber with a billowing, fluffy, off-white head that lasted forever. Finally the greasy mass of foam receded into a thick oily film with a towering central butte in the center and left sticky rings and streaks of lace down the glass. The final pour is a bit hazy but that is to be expected.
S: Big juicy notes of tropical fruits and sweet citrus. This is one fruity smelling brew with notes of tangerine rind, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple. I get a note or two of mint, and even ganga. There is a hint of sweet sugary caramel in there as well that reminds me of syrup covered pineapple.
T: Not as tropical as the nose but still very very citrusy. There may be some notes of pineapple in the finish, as this beer finishes rather sweet. The aftertaste is bitter but not overwhelming. Overall, very juicy tasting, and the alcohol is masked extremely well.
M: Full bodied, heavy mouthfeel, but I wouldn’t call it thick. It’s definitely got some chewy heftiness to it though. Alcohol is completely hidden, the carbonation is smooth and easy, and the bitterness is under control.
O: I have not had a single beer from Lawson that hasn’t completely impressed me. If you’re new to this brewery, seek out everything you can from him, even if it’s not a style you like. Thanks again Michael for being my Lawson’s hook-up. This is great beer.

This review is dedicated to my bride. She hates long drives and agreed to make the PILGRIMAGE to Warren, VT to grab this bottle (and a few others!!) Thanks for making the drive! Cheers to you Melissa!

Well, this review started Friday night at the ACBF in Boston. For some strange coincidence the best beer of the night has appeared to me in the first several samples in 3 of the last 5 years. This year was no exception and I literally fell in love. Of course, I wanted to visit Lawson’s booth as I had heard wonderful things. As my second beer of the night I tried this Double Sunshine. The heavens opened even before I tasted it. The aroma is just unreal. Let’s just say three hours later Sean and all at the Lawson’s booth knew exactly who I was as I visited again & again.

Fear NOT, this review is NOT from a sample size. I am sitting with bottle # 17 (my favorite number) of batch 212. I got up Saturday and drove 400 miles round trip to pick up a few bottles after hearing that there was some more AND that Sean mentioned he’s done brewing this “for a while” Enjoying the bottle is just the same. Insane.

So this is a first for me. I have decided that this is my favorite beer I’ve ever tried. For me IT IS “the perfect 5” Seriously, what could be better about this beer other than having it fresh on tap in my basement at all times?

Pours with a fluffy off white head with decent retention. Lacing clings in thick clumps everywhere. The beer has a subtle unfiltered haze to it while being a golden amber color. Gorgeous looking beer.

The aroma, frankly is to die for. So fresh and thick with floral grapefruit peel scents. It’s almost like someone curled a grapefruit peel under your nose and released all the oils in the skin. Just below this also lies some fruitiness. The best.

Where do I start? The resinous citrus/tropical flavors just burst in your mouth. Have you seen the current Starburst commercials where they claim the juice explodes in your mouth? Well this is that in a beer sense. Your mouth waters as is splashes in your mouth with a huge burst of juicy tropical goodness. The malt profile is perfect. Light cracker goodness that provides just enough backbone to let the freshness and hops shine. It’s been said before and it’s never been more true than here. The English created the IPA... Americans perfected it. Question, can there be a wonderfully bitter aftertaste that is refreshing? The answer is YES.

Body is amazingly smooth and refreshing for a DPA registering in at 8% abv. I almost can’t believe it. This beer can do some damage before you know it. Th bright fresh mouth feel is so lively and refreshing. The only thing holding you back from quaffing it is that you will only have it on a limited basis..

Truth be told, 400 miles wasn’t too bad to grab several bottles. I would have driven a lot more, but my wife would have made me make that trip solo. I’ll do it again, I can assure you. I think I am so intrigued knowing that it’s life is so short. Certainly after a month, it starts to fade into oblivion. Of course, few of Sean’s IPA’s ever make it that long on this earth. These sure as hell won’t

I’ve often talked about how the journey for the perfect beer was as much fun as the destination. I still agree with that notion. But the end of the line was PERFECT.

Congrats. You have made MY perfect beer!

Edit - Posting my review moved this from "A" to "A+" I could NOT be more proud!!!!

4.45/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Clear gold, like sunshine itself. Forms a smallish white head, but there is good retention and it leaves some clumpy lacing on the way down.

S: The bottle describes the beer as "juicy tropical fruit" and I see no reason to disagree. Aroma is primarily of oranges intermixed with mango, papaya, and pineapple. The slight sugary floral quality adds another dimension that only seeks to reinforce the of tropical fruit aroma.

T: The first thing I noticed was a chewy sweetness. Then comes some more tropical fruit - though not quite as intense as the aroma. Again, predominantly orange, with notes of pineapple. Mild to moderate bitterness and some orange pith on the finish.

M: Medium in body with a sort of chewiness to it. Carbonation is appropriate.

O: A very good beer. Chewy, juicy, and ripe with flavor, this one is very easy to drink. Maybe a little sweet for my personal preference, but the sweetness and the tropical fruits work well together. This is my first beer from Lawson's and it certainly did not disappoint.

4.77/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

22oz bottle generously shared by Doug while we were brewing beer. Poured into a Bell's snifter today, 9/9/2013. Review #201.

Note: I revisited today 10/25/2013, with a 2 week old bottle from FleetwoodMatt, poured into an unlabeled snifter.. and didn't change a thing on this review. This beer is fantastic.

This beer's appearance is really something else. Pours a thick, creamy and hazy orange body. Having had a bunch of Hill Farmstead IPAs/DIPAs lately, this is just so different. It has a strong orange colour on this. Comes with a 2cm white head with very good retention. Looks very soapy on the surface and as lacing. Lacing is all over the glass.

Smells so good. Smells so citrusy, but without much malt sweetness. Simply put, this is a hop aroma bomb. So much citrus here- tangerines, orange, and a little bit of grapefruit.. a little bit of breadiness and toffee attempts to balance it out, and its efforts are very much appreciated. It's a very strong, thick aroma. Wow.

The taste on this is delicious. Unlike the nose, the malts come out here more to just balance out the hops, but barely. Lots and lots of tangerine, mango and other tropical fruits balanced out just a bit by some caramel and toffee sweetness. There is some earthiness here, surprisingly, which mixes things up as far as Vermont IPAs go. It's also a rather bitter DIPA unlike the Hill Farmstead DIPAs.

Mouthfeel is really good in its own way compared to Hill Farmstead. It's not as smooth, but it is quite slick without going over the top. Solid carbonation, medium body, very resinous feel on the palate. Bitterness is high up there too, yet it is very drinkable without any hint of the 8% ABV.

Delicious DIPA. It's a nice change-up from the less bitter but oh-so-aromatic-and-creamy Hill Farmstead DIPAs. It's got that über aromatic nose and palate stinger.. yet it is so drinkable in its own way. It definitely provides a very full, complex sensory experience. Definitely lives up to the hype. It's probably my favorite DIPA overall, which gives it a 5/5 overall rating for me. Close to Abner and Ephraim, much better than Heady or Pliny. Highly recommend if you know a generous BA in Vermont.

4.42/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Pours a medium gold color, slightly hazy, good frothy carbonation that leaves a nice cap and some spotty lacing.

S - A nice amount of tropical fruits with some slight floral notes. Nice and dank, yet, still has a nice clean hop character. Lots of pineapple, mango, and orange peel.

T - Slight less tropical then the nose. Orange peel, pine, grassy hops. Little to no malt detected at all, very light yet the tropical notes help with the sweetness. Solid bitterness, not overly done, which I prefer. A nice "medium".

M: Light, crisp, smooth, refreshing, oily dank finish.

D: A very nice DIPA that I really enjoyed. Not overly hoppy or big on sweetness, which I prefer. Right "down the middle", if you will. I love any/all tropical fruit notes, so that seals the deal right there. Recommend.

Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids