Double Sunshine IPA | Lawson's Finest Liquids

Double Sunshine IPADouble Sunshine IPA

Lawson's Finest Liquids
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

Added by kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

Reviews: 329 | Ratings: 2,030

This is stellar. It's everything sip of sunshine wants to be. It's right up there with the elite iipas. It's a melange of overripe passion fruits. Mild bitterness. Treehouse level mouthfeel.

3.11/5  rDev -31.9%

8th Anniversary bottle acquired via trade.

L - Clear dark orange with two fingers of white head

S - Oddly sweet with butterscotch and caramel. Barely any earthy hops. Malt-dominant.

T - Really weird buttery taste. It's almost like an old Heath bar with butterscotch and toffee notes. Some faint hints of grassy hops and some wet pine tree. So odd.

F - At least the body is full, but those flavors linger. Drinkability is scarce.

O - I recall having this beer two years ago on a trip to VT and it was a citrus explosion and one of the best IPA's VT had to offer in a state full of world class breweries. I honestly do not know what has gone wrong with this beer. Is it a bad batch? Did the recipe change? I wish I could have done a full review of the beer I loved in 2014, but today, this is just plain bad. Sorry.

4.02/5  rDev -12%

had at Lawson's 8th anniversary on tap;
Had it along side a couple other lawson's IPAs, and it was a bit of a let down. I thought SOS had much more hop presence
I did love the heavy malt back bone, but again it didn't have near the hop presence I wanted it to for a big Vermont IPA. I think this one might be a member of the hype train or perhaps it had been sitting around to long leading up the the release at the anniversary party.

4.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle purchased 4/9/16 at Lawson's 8th Anniversary Sale. Poured into Lawson's tulip glass (but of course).

L: Like the finest St. Gaudens double-eagle, a deep hazy gold. 2F+ head on pour, not much retention or lacing, a little bit of a ring.

S: The sweetest, freshest tropical fruit you can imagine: pineapple, peach, mango. Grapefruit and orange ring. Some pine on the finish. I think this is the first 5 I have ever awarded.

T: Doesn't quite follow nose, though darned good. You get more of the grapefruit/orange peel vibe first, followed by the pineapple and peach. Light malts carry through to a resiny and piney finish with the just the right amount of light bitterness.

F: Medium body, light to medium carbonation. Resiny, yet doesn't linger overlong as ABV and carbonation dry at just the right time. As well-constructed a beer as I have ever tried.

O: You know, friends, it just don't get any better than this. Hope I get a chance to try another one someday.

4.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good. Sweet, northeastern ipa goodness. May actually prefer sip of sunshine but we're talking about "do you prefer the best or the best". Would buy truck loads of this if possible.

This is the best double IPA out there in my opinion. Sip of Sunshine is a very worthy replacement for it, but double sunshine was everything I want from an IPA. The dankness of heady with the brightness of SOS. Edges out Abner as my favorite double IPA. Pumped I finally got to try it.

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Fresh on tap at the Lawson's 8th Anniversary party. Great color and flavor. Blows regular Sip and Triple Sunshine out of the water. Looking forward to cracking the bottles of this.

4.81/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz. bottle poured into snifter.

A= Copper, but not red/amber, hint of orange. A little bit of haze, but fairly clear compared to many NE IPA/DIPA. The lacing is seriously crazy, sticky, syrupy, beautiful.

S= A bit more muted, a bit less in my face than expected, but still appealing. I get tropical, citrus (especially grapefruit and orange zest) as well as some malt sweetness and pine.

T= Deep hoppy flavors, mostly tropical fruits but definitely some earthy dankness, pine, and malt sweetness. I want to drink more.

M= Fairly full bodied with a bit of syrupy feel on the palate. Moderate carbonation.

O= This met my expectations. I have had Triple Sunshine multiple times, but rarely get a full bottle of this. I love Sip of S, but this is a completely different beer and blows it out of the water.

4.49/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally had one and it was worth the weight. The smell was fantastic. Pine and citrus truly shine through here. SOS on steroids. Wasn't easy to find but I would get it again in a heartbeat. Don't pass this one up.

Bottle poured into a snifter glass with a hazy copper color (not too dark though) with a decent amount of white frothy head. There is a good amount of lacing as the head subsides. The aroma was straight dank; you get a lot of pine and citrus with this one. The taste pretty much follows suit with a nice even balance throughout the whole bottle. The mouth feel has solid carbonation (not too much, not too little) with a slight dry finish on the palate. The hype surrounding this beer is definitely real. Lawson's totally delivered with this one!! Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not sure if there was something off with this batch, but it was not the beer most people remembered at a blind tasting. In fact, it finished at the bottom of 15 other top flight double IPAs.

3.5/5  rDev -23.4%

Acquired via trade and was told it was from a "recent batch", no bottle date, so I really don't know how fresh this was. Interesting citrus aroma/taste, but overall, I found this very disappointing. This was by no means a standout double IPA, very underwhelming. I shared the bottle with 2 friends that agreed that this just wasn't very good. I'd be very interested to try this again, knowing that the bottle was fresh, but until then, my rating will stand as-is.

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours an amber color. Great citrus and orange smell. Perfect combo of sweet and hoppy with a bit of resin/pine after taste. Awesome beer glad I traded for it.

4.32/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours bright orange, hazy, unfiltered with a one finger head. Smells of sweet orange and citrus, floral. Taste is sweet and smooth, with a caramel sort-of malt. Hoppier than Sip of Sunshine for sure. Finish is dry and bitter. Overall, pretty good. Well above average, but for Lawson's -- they've done better. I may actually take a standard Sip of Sunshine over this beer. I think the Triple Sunshine stood out a bit more than this as well. Still... a nice DIPA, and I'm really glad to have tried it.

4.87/5  rDev +6.6%

Received it in a trade. Probably had to give up too much for it, but nonetheless, it's a fantastic beer. Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. Decent amount of foam and lacing. Smell is hoppy and floral and the taste matches. Both bitter and sweet on the tongue. Thoroughly enjoy it. Would certainly drink again (psyched I have a second bottle).

4.74/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Right up there with good morning, Focal Banger and triple sunshine. Extremely soft/fluffy mouthfeel, very easy to drink and just an absolute juicebomb of a beer. Wish this was more readily available!

4.34/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

To be brutally honest Double Sunshine is a darn good beer...but it ends there. Drove to Winooski, waited in line from just after 5a to secure my bottle (HT and Sip too) and this just missed the mark for me. A bit muted compared with the other ales I've had from Lawsons. Having had Kiwi and Triple Play on multiple occasions, which I would stand in the cold to get again, the DS was meh.

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Amberish in color, not very cloudy. Filtered.
L - Much like Sip of Sunshine it is very fruity and floral
T-It starts out quite bitter in a grapefruit sense but there's some citrus there as well. Finishes piney
F-Light, well carbonated, and the finish is dry due to the bitterness. O- excellent brew. Sought this out for so long and glad I finally got to have it!

Had this for the first time tonight and WOW. This is a perfect beer in my opinion. I'm a huge ipa/dipa fan and this stands alone. I love Heady topper and it would be a mistake to compare it with double sunshine because they are completely different. This beer has a ton of fruit and floral on the nose and very full mouthfeel. Amazing. I'm glad I have two more to savor. Seek this out!

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

This is one of the better beers I've ever had. I prefer it to Lawson's Sip of Sunshine. For me, the nose is much cleaner and the after taste brighter, more floral, and cleaner. Its floral notes are strong but perfectly balanced, and the hops are not overpowering. Perfect IPA.

3.9/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Lawson's tulip glass. Acquired in a trade.

Pours a deep amber body with a nice frothy white head that sticks around for a while, leaving some lacing and a good amount of retention that sits on the surface for a while.

Aromas seem muted and subdued.. I get some grapefruit and pine, peppery and floral hops, a little buttery diacetyl, sweet caramel maltyness. Doesn't smell as potent or inviting as others.

Upfront on the tongue is sweet caramel malt, followed by grapefruit/citrus rind bitterness, floral notes, creamy orange sorbet, but it takes a hit because I still get a buttery diaceytl off-note that distracts from the overall hop character.. on the finish is a somewhat cloying bitterness. A little off-balance. Mouthfeel is medium with medium carbonation.

Somewhat underwhelmed by Double Sunshine.. between the muted aroma and odd flavor profile, I probably wouldn't seek this out again, but I am happy that I got to try it!

4.33/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz bomber with no discernible bottling date.

The pour is a slightly hazy, bright golden orange color. The head is a 2-finger, beautiful soapy white color. Whilst the head dissipates rather quickly, it leaves some gorgeous cobweb lacing around the glass.

The aroma is booming with floral notes, but has a nice balance of tropical fruit aromas and pine resin as well. I get notes of grapefruit, orange, and tangerine, as well as some pineapple. There's plenty of bitterness there but it's balanced out by the sweetness of the tropical fruits. Not getting a lot of malt here, however.

The taste starts off bitter, and even slightly tart, but is followed by the sweet orange and pineapple character. The back end returns to bitterness from the piney, earthy notes. Very dry, but not a lingering dryness. Very floral and very tropical. The cracker malt just barely makes its presence known as the beer warms.

The mouth is medium-bodied with pretty good carbonation. Once again, very dry, but the dry bitterness does not linger for long.

Overall, while I'm not sure this beer meets the hype it receives, it is still an absolutely fantastic version of the style and one that is absolutely worth seeking out. I've been trying to get my hands (and lips) on this beer for quite some time now, and I am ecstatic that I was finally able to.

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Overall, a great DIPA - extremely well balanced elite mouthfeel keeps you coming back for more. One of, if not the, most balanced DIPA I have had the pleasure to try!

1.9/5  rDev -58.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Released Nov 12, 2015, opened Nov 21, 2015

A - Beautiful pour. Three fingers of bone-white head on top of a bright peach gold body. Nice retention and lace.

S - Really odd nose. Roast beef and strawberry jam... hopefully there isn't something wrong with the bottle.

O - Unfortunately there is definitely something wrong with this bottle. Malt body with pine, cilantro and a touch of citrus but then loaded with a off-flavor of roast beef through the finish.

M - Smooth medium body.

O - A contaminated bottle. Sucks given how much we traded to get it :(

4.59/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

So nice to revisit last night after a long absence. Wish it were available more often. Wonderful beer. One of my top 5 DIPAs. More juicy than heady. More dank than haze. It's a nice combination of tropical and resiny. Classic Lawson's mouthfeel. Nose isn't social and it's a tiny bit too sweet for me, but otherwise almost perfect.

Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids