Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Double Sunshine IPADouble Sunshine IPA

Wants: 2,014
Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010)
View: Beers (54) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
badbeer

Iowa

4.35/5  rDev -7.1%

Rare Batch: 212 Bottle: 74 and 77

Very hazy golden amber color with a creamy white head that retains very well. Smell has a lot of oranges and tropical fruit. No real malt coming through; it's hop forward and enticing. Taste has some sweet nectarine character going on along with mangos and grapefruit. Just a touch of light grain comes through in the taste, but it still is very much hop dominant. I seem to pretty much just be getting a heavy use of Citra hops in this, but I don't care if that's wrong, I'm loving the taste of this. Medium bodied and about medium carbonation. I gotta give it up, this is one very nice beer.

06-23-2011 02:24:22 | More by badbeer
TMoney2591

4.15/5  rDev -11.3%

Served in a Lancaster shaker pint glass.

Thanks to baconsausage for this bottle!

Rare Batch #208, bottle #57. I've read some interesting comparisons involving this beer and other highly-rated DIPAs, so I'm glad to have a chance to potentially debunk them. Tee-hee. It pours a clear copper topped by two fingers of white foam. The nose comprises grapefruit, orange, light pine, very light leek, pineapple, light watermelon, and light caramel. The taste brings in more of the same, along with some orange rind, grapefruit peel, and light lemon zest. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry, sticky finish. Overall, a very nice DIPA, heavy on the fruit without somehow overdoing it. This stuff deserves a good portion of the praise it gets.

06-19-2011 18:59:42 | More by TMoney2591
Florida9

4.45/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Clear gold, like sunshine itself. Forms a smallish white head, but there is good retention and it leaves some clumpy lacing on the way down.

S: The bottle describes the beer as "juicy tropical fruit" and I see no reason to disagree. Aroma is primarily of oranges intermixed with mango, papaya, and pineapple. The slight sugary floral quality adds another dimension that only seeks to reinforce the of tropical fruit aroma.

T: The first thing I noticed was a chewy sweetness. Then comes some more tropical fruit - though not quite as intense as the aroma. Again, predominantly orange, with notes of pineapple. Mild to moderate bitterness and some orange pith on the finish.

M: Medium in body with a sort of chewiness to it. Carbonation is appropriate.

O: A very good beer. Chewy, juicy, and ripe with flavor, this one is very easy to drink. Maybe a little sweet for my personal preference, but the sweetness and the tropical fruits work well together. This is my first beer from Lawson's and it certainly did not disappoint.

06-19-2011 15:02:36 | More by Florida9
surlytheduff

4.45/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle courtesy of gn0sis - thanks for the hookup. Batch 211, bottle 64. A gentle pour into a Fantome tulip yielded a billowing three fingers of creamy white head which desperately clung to the sides of the glass, leaving streaks of foamy lace as it gently receded. The beer was a slightly hazy golden color with a bit of an amber cast to it. The aroma emanating from the glass was incredibly enticing - deep resinous hops, tropical citrus fruits and a sweet malty grassiness.

The taste of the beer was fantastic. Strong mango/pineapple/grapefruit flavor up front, no trace of syrupy sweetness that you get in some other DIPA's, floral and resinous hop flavor with a refreshingly bitter finish. The mouthfeel was very smooth, with a medium body and a light to medium amount of carbonation. Overall this ranks right up near the top for me both style wise and general beer wise.

06-18-2011 03:11:25 | More by surlytheduff
scottfrie

4.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into Gulden Draak tulip. Batch 211, bottle 46. Huge thanks to SneezyAchew for sending this my way. This is apparently my 500th beer review. Let’s not get all mushy.

A: Pours a light golden-amber with a billowing, fluffy, off-white head that lasted forever. Finally the greasy mass of foam receded into a thick oily film with a towering central butte in the center and left sticky rings and streaks of lace down the glass. The final pour is a bit hazy but that is to be expected.
S: Big juicy notes of tropical fruits and sweet citrus. This is one fruity smelling brew with notes of tangerine rind, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple. I get a note or two of mint, and even ganga. There is a hint of sweet sugary caramel in there as well that reminds me of syrup covered pineapple.
T: Not as tropical as the nose but still very very citrusy. There may be some notes of pineapple in the finish, as this beer finishes rather sweet. The aftertaste is bitter but not overwhelming. Overall, very juicy tasting, and the alcohol is masked extremely well.
M: Full bodied, heavy mouthfeel, but I wouldn’t call it thick. It’s definitely got some chewy heftiness to it though. Alcohol is completely hidden, the carbonation is smooth and easy, and the bitterness is under control.
O: I have not had a single beer from Lawson that hasn’t completely impressed me. If you’re new to this brewery, seek out everything you can from him, even if it’s not a style you like. Thanks again Michael for being my Lawson’s hook-up. This is great beer.

06-16-2011 01:06:41 | More by scottfrie
beenitty

If you're reading reviews to see how good this beer is, just stop reading and find out how to get your hands on it. They'res alot of people saying that this beer is better than Pliny (i think so) Other people are saying Double Jack is equally good as this beer (not).

I wont get into that but I had a tough time not giving this beer all 5's. If I'd tried all the big DIPAs (Abrasive, Ephraim, etc etc) to compare I could king it the best, havent gotten there yet. I dont think there exists a "perfect" beer but this one didn't give me any reason to take points away from its score.

EDIT: Tried more big name DIPAs, this is the best IMO

A - pours hazy orange with nice white head that and nice lacing, a quick swirl reconstitutes the head very nicely

S- Pine, Citrus, Grapefruit, Tropical Fruits. Picking up Pineapple, Mango, few others I cant distinquish. Awesome.

T- Fruit up front, then malt, then hops. No bitterness though. Very well balanced. Leaves you wanting more.

M- No bite, no accumulation. Super balanced.

O- One of the best beers I've ever had. I consider myself to be a pretty staunch beer critic who typically tries to dissect each beer to give a true critque. Couldn't really find any flaws in this one, but as the reviews show, to each his own.

But, you should own this beer, its incredible.

06-15-2011 17:06:19 | More by beenitty
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

4.4/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another quite nice beer from Vermont! Thanks to Michael- yourefragile for hooking me up big time here.

A: Deep orange, hazy look and mega lacing. A head of a pinky that dies slowly to a ring of foamy white head.

S: Nice almost pilsner like clean malt and lemon zest with some chili soaked dank hops with an interesting smell myself and others called- 'sweaty'. Sweaty in the best way possible, but still it has something funky like that in it. Some bright fruits and citrus in there as well.

T: Again this beer really reminds me of pilsner/lager malts but with big grassy dry biting hops that are very American of course. Light in ways yet still packed with flavor. Some tropical fruits open up and are very nice complimenting some herbal notes.

M: Light and crisp, easy drinking yet bitter as heck at the same time. Very even over the palate.

Overall certainly a very nice brew, though at this point I think it's getting a little overrated having a straight A+ rating, this is an A beer in my opinion! Hope to try this again in the future.

06-12-2011 18:41:08 | More by Dreadnaught33
perrymarcus

4.47/5  rDev -4.5%

on-tap: review based on multiple samples at the ACBF (boston, 06/04/11). between this and the acer quercus i spent a good amount of time camped out in the lawson's line.

pours a burnished gold tone with a touch of haze, yields a nice creamy head with good retention and lacing evident.

nose is aromatic; just full of flavor. big hoppy bouquet of citrus and tropical fruits, with secondary notes of malt and pine. outstanding aroma.

more of the same delivered in the flavor. lot of tropical/citric goodness with just enough balancing malt. very, very nicely done. i think it compares well with FW double jack, one of my current favorite DIPAs.

medium-bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall, very nicely done. lawson's has impressed the hell out of me, though doing so seems to come easily for them. if we could just ramp up the production a bit and get some ditributed to MA...

06-08-2011 05:24:23 | More by perrymarcus
funkel81

simply put, the perfect beer. try it and try to disagree with me

smells like it was dry hopped with angel wings

tastes like it was brewed with love

i only wish it were available outside of vermont

i'm not great at describing tastes (obviously) but this might be my new favorite ipa

06-08-2011 03:39:39 | More by funkel81
awalk1227

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev -4.5%

Consumed 4/24/11, drank this with a few work buddies. Bottle got tossed so I can't remember the batch number, d'oh. Anyway, thanks Kelp and nathanjohnson for the chance to try this!

A: Double Sunshine was right. This beer pours a bright, sunny, orange/yellow color.

S: Lots of wonderfully fragrant aromas here. Juicy grapefruit and oranges, with the slightest hints of grass and pine in the background. A bit of sweet malt makes its way though, letting me know this is a bigger beer than Triple Play.

T: Very fruity and sweet. Not my favorite flavors in a DIPA, but I'm on a tropical fruit binge, and this hits the spot. Not nearly as sweet and syrupy as some other big IPAs, so I'm really pleased with this one. Also, the malt is present, but only to give the beer some body and the aforementioned sweetness. None of that Caramel 60 malt stuff going on here.

F: A bit drier than other beers in the category, making it all the more drinkable. A bit fizzy on the tongue, and just thick enough for me to consider it a DIPA.

O: I was fortunate enough to try this beer twice and the bottles weren't horribly tough to track down. If it was more readily available, I'd have my fridge stocked with all of the Lawson's stuff.

06-08-2011 03:26:40 | More by awalk1227
SneezyAchew

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

I've had this beer a handfull of times now, and it has grown on me throughout those tastings. I rarely get the chance to drink Lawson's, but this was from my third trip to the Warren store. Having had Chinooker'd, Hopzilla, and Triple Play at different times all before, Lawson's Finest Liquids has most probably become my favorite producer of IPA's and DIPA's.

A: Nice and hazy burnt orange, with a thin head. Just the way a double IPA should look.

S: Lots of tropical fruit. Clementines, Pineapples...

T: Admittedly, I used to find this one a bit too sweet. This is no longer so. It really is the perfect balance of sweet citrusy flavors, tropical fruit, and a heavy pungent finish.

M: Certainly syrupy, but not overly so.

O: Too bad Lawson doesn't have a pub that does growler fills, coz I could use 64 oz of this beer. A really exceptional DIPA. Vermont is known for this (or else they should be), and in my opinion, New England is fast becoming California's biggest American IPA competitor. Either way, Sean Lawson brews tremendous beers and as soon as The Alchemist announces their release of Heady Topper in cans I'll be driving four hours and back at the Warren Store for more.

06-06-2011 02:26:53 | More by SneezyAchew
Reagan1984

This review is dedicated to my bride. She hates long drives and agreed to make the PILGRIMAGE to Warren, VT to grab this bottle (and a few others!!) Thanks for making the drive! Cheers to you Melissa!

Well, this review started Friday night at the ACBF in Boston. For some strange coincidence the best beer of the night has appeared to me in the first several samples in 3 of the last 5 years. This year was no exception and I literally fell in love. Of course, I wanted to visit Lawson’s booth as I had heard wonderful things. As my second beer of the night I tried this Double Sunshine. The heavens opened even before I tasted it. The aroma is just unreal. Let’s just say three hours later Sean and all at the Lawson’s booth knew exactly who I was as I visited again & again.

Fear NOT, this review is NOT from a sample size. I am sitting with bottle # 17 (my favorite number) of batch 212. I got up Saturday and drove 400 miles round trip to pick up a few bottles after hearing that there was some more AND that Sean mentioned he’s done brewing this “for a while” Enjoying the bottle is just the same. Insane.

So this is a first for me. I have decided that this is my favorite beer I’ve ever tried. For me IT IS “the perfect 5” Seriously, what could be better about this beer other than having it fresh on tap in my basement at all times?

Pours with a fluffy off white head with decent retention. Lacing clings in thick clumps everywhere. The beer has a subtle unfiltered haze to it while being a golden amber color. Gorgeous looking beer.

The aroma, frankly is to die for. So fresh and thick with floral grapefruit peel scents. It’s almost like someone curled a grapefruit peel under your nose and released all the oils in the skin. Just below this also lies some fruitiness. The best.

Where do I start? The resinous citrus/tropical flavors just burst in your mouth. Have you seen the current Starburst commercials where they claim the juice explodes in your mouth? Well this is that in a beer sense. Your mouth waters as is splashes in your mouth with a huge burst of juicy tropical goodness. The malt profile is perfect. Light cracker goodness that provides just enough backbone to let the freshness and hops shine. It’s been said before and it’s never been more true than here. The English created the IPA... Americans perfected it. Question, can there be a wonderfully bitter aftertaste that is refreshing? The answer is YES.

Body is amazingly smooth and refreshing for a DPA registering in at 8% abv. I almost can’t believe it. This beer can do some damage before you know it. Th bright fresh mouth feel is so lively and refreshing. The only thing holding you back from quaffing it is that you will only have it on a limited basis..

Truth be told, 400 miles wasn’t too bad to grab several bottles. I would have driven a lot more, but my wife would have made me make that trip solo. I’ll do it again, I can assure you. I think I am so intrigued knowing that it’s life is so short. Certainly after a month, it starts to fade into oblivion. Of course, few of Sean’s IPA’s ever make it that long on this earth. These sure as hell won’t

I’ve often talked about how the journey for the perfect beer was as much fun as the destination. I still agree with that notion. But the end of the line was PERFECT.

Congrats. You have made MY perfect beer!

Edit - Posting my review moved this from "A" to "A+" I could NOT be more proud!!!!

06-05-2011 22:45:51 | More by Reagan1984
Robtobfest

Connecticut

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

Reviewed from notes at Friday's session of 2011 ACBF. Many times through the Lawson's line for this one.
A- This DIPA pours a nice golden color with a pure white fluffy head that billows up to the top of the glass and retains for a minute or two.

S- This is without a doubt the best smelling DIPA I've ever had. A heavy dose of tropical fruit slap you in the face. Pineapple mango at the forefront. The is also a bit of pine in there. This smells so fresh it is unreal.

T- The taste is just fantastic. It starts with all tropical fuit and has a bit of a pine bite at the end. There is no syrupiness that you get in a lot of DIPA's. The malt is there but in the background. Cannot detect the alcohol in this 8% DIPA. I would go as far as to say very refreshing. Again, cannot stress enough how fresh this tastes.

M- Mouthfeel is medium as there is no syrupy maltiness.

O- Overall this is a true A+ beer. This is the best DIPA I've had yet. The aroma is just about the best thing I have smelled. Thanks Lawson's for bringing this to the ACBF as sadly I won't be tasting it again for some time. Cheers Sean!

06-05-2011 00:56:42 | More by Robtobfest
richkrull

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Got this one in my poker winnings from baconsausage. Thanks a lot!

Poured a hazy golden orange color with quite a bit of slightly off-white head on it.

Smell was very citrusy with some floral notes coming through. Very nice aroma.

Taste was pretty incredible. Great citrus flavor up front with the hops coming through in the finish. Really a well balanced beer.

Mouthfeel was fairly light. Smooth drinking beer.

Overall a great beer that I would love to have again. I could drink this beer all night.

06-02-2011 20:56:02 | More by richkrull
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -12.4%

Shared at Hill Farmstead gathering. Nice fruity aroma, so much tropical fruits (pinneaple, tangerine, mango) but also quite grassy and a nice cracker like malt balanced this one nicely. Superb aroma. This one is so drinkable and is very refreshing with all the fruits and grassiness.

06-02-2011 18:51:54 | More by Luk13
rsgcwhite

New Mexico

4.9/5  rDev +4.7%

Rare Batch #211, Bottle #3.

Picked up during a fantastic beer adventure with BA mduncan last week at the Warren store. The storekeep was surly (at best), no doubt protective of us out-of-staters from loading up on this glorious brew.

The beer poured a cloudy tangerine color into a Sam Adam's glass - beautiful orange sunset hue when put directly under light. The moderate-sized head, significant for an IPA, deteriorated only slowly into lacing on my glass.

The aroma is absolutely unlike any other beer I have ever had - I get a lot of grapefruit, mango, guava, and citrus up front, with a piney and woodsy aroma the filters in the back. As unlikely as it sounds, it's a citrus grove in a pine forest.

As complex and unique as the aroma is, the taste follows up beautifully. A lot of the citrus and tangerine character is preserved with sweet, sappy pine. Hops are robust, but not overly so; they linger on your tongue in luscious bitterness, neither overpowering or underwhelming you. The complexities and subtle nuances keep me thinking - what an extraordinary brew.

This is somewhat unlike any other IPA that i have had - I frequently overlook this common brew category, but without the doubt, this brew sets the bar for me.

05-31-2011 21:45:56 | More by rsgcwhite
squaremile

Oregon

4.95/5  rDev +5.8%

OH.
MY.
GOD.

Can... not... type...

Thank you Dean for this wonderful treat! Pours a light, cloudy orange with a very small head and some lacing. This is the only score under a 5.0 for me. THE NOSE IS OUTRAGEOUS. Pine, cannabis, vines, sap. Taste is virtually indescribable. Front end is all pine, leaves, and sap. Massive bitterness. It moves into a brief sugar cookie sweetness, then blasts with rich, citrus flavors. Finishes pretty dry and a touch of biscuity malt. HOLY EFF!!! No alcohol present. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side for the style, which I prefer. Overall a 5.0. This is in the elite class of IIPAs for me with Younger, Heady Topper, and Barley Brown's Tankslapper being the only other beers in this league. Find this. Drink it. Love life.

05-30-2011 18:43:59 | More by squaremile
jrallen34

4.47/5  rDev -4.5%

Props to Chris for this super fresh bottle, batch 192, bottle # 117... Pours a murky light gold, dark in the middle, a little ugly. A nice white head, great retention and lacing... The aroma is fantastic, so fresh, just plucked pine needles with pineapples and an assortment of tropical fruits... Taste is equally great, bitting pine and alcohol of a dipa, but muted and so drinkable. This is awesome, must try.

05-30-2011 14:30:07 | More by jrallen34
Genghis22

4.53/5  rDev -3.2%

Big thanks to Tucker for this one! A bottle signed by the brewer received in the Too Many Rules BIF.

A - Pours a hazy, golden honey color. Nice tight creamy off white head.

S - Mmmm, Pliny like. Big resinous piney floral hop notes. Grapefruit and orange peel. This smells amazing. I could probably just sniff this all night.

T - Big juicy hops. Lemongrass and pine flavors at first. Quickly followed by clementine and other sweet citrus. The hops are present, but not bitter. The tongue dries out and slowly the bitterness creeps in. Not exactly "west coast" style, but not totally "east coast" style either. The aftertaste is subtle. Sweet citrus remains, but the faint touch of bitterness still lingers.

M - Oily, syrupy, chewy. Very nice. The carbonation is a touch low for my liking. The carbonation is acceptable, but I would like just a touch more, personally.

O - Best East Coast DIPA? I'd have to it's absolutely in the top 5. Wow, just a delicious treat. I love my WC style hop bombs, but this was a welcome change of pace. Now I just need to figure out how to get some more of this stuff.

05-27-2011 04:06:48 | More by Genghis22
emerge077

4.35/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks Brian for bringing a couple bottles to share!
Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip glass it pours a saturated orange tone, with a slight haze to it. Lasting cap of white foam, with a ring of lace crowning the rim of the glass.

Dank... and I mean Dank aroma, lush and resiny, super pungent fresh hops taking on an almost cheesy quality. Phew!

Big citrus notes lead off initially, lush with bitter orange peel and leafy greenery. Again an almost cheesy quality about the hop varietals used. Lasting aftertaste, dry and bitter, resiny and clinging to the teeth and gums. Super fresh impression, very resiny with lush citrus. This is great stuff, thanks again for sharing Brian!

05-24-2011 02:07:04 | More by emerge077
mcallister

4.33/5  rDev -7.5%

Hazy orange juice colored with a thick, pillowy head just off white. No lace.

What a nose, tropical and citrus flavors burst from the glass. Grapefruit, pineapple, mango, starfruit, orange, lemon zest and more. Nice underlying Bready maltiness helps round things out.

Nicely balanced and wonderful hop compexity. Oily and full of resinous tropical flavors. Grapefruit and mango devour the mid palate with help of Bready, grainy malts to round things out. Pineapple, lemon, orange zest, and more. Nice snappy carbonation with some acidity at the finish. Except for a light astringent finish this is a fantastic beer.

05-22-2011 18:15:57 | More by mcallister
Bierguy5

4.6/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz botle, 8% abv. Bottle #94. Hazy gold, with a slight orange hue. Great fluffy white head. Great retention and lace.

Bursting with juicy hop aroma. Lots of tropical fruit, pineapple, mango, with a slight pine edge. Caramel malt in the background, but the hops are the showcase.

Lighter malt character. Sharp bitterness, but not overwhelming. Bitterness has the tropical fruit characters, but also some earthy notes.

Medium body, good carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden. Very well made.

05-22-2011 18:15:44 | More by Bierguy5
starrdogg

District of Columbia

4.9/5  rDev +4.7%

Big thanks to yourefragile for bringing this over to the end-of-law school tasting. This beer is incredible!

A: Pours a bright, slightly hazy golden-yellow with a nice white head.

S: This beer smells absolutely amazing. Perhaps the best aroma in any DIPA I've ever had, and that's saying something. It's just a blast of tropical fruit and hops and made my mouth water. I couldn't wait to take a sip.

T: The taste followed the aroma and did not disappoint - very juicy fruit flavors up front, but has a very hoppy, slightly more bitter finish than I would've expected given the other characteristics; it's very easy to drink and so nice and light.

M: Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with good carbonation. Just fine for the beer.

O: Hands down this is one of the best DIPAs out there right now, especially if you love the west coast style. I want to move to Vermont so that I can drink this every day.

05-15-2011 16:51:40 | More by starrdogg
vtblackdog

Vermont

4.2/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance is a bright yet slightly hazy yellow brew. moderate head forms and falls back quickly.

Smell is just exceptional. A sweet juicy hop aroma fills the air above the glass. I mean the smell is almost worth price of the bottle!

Taste is a good hoppy DIPA. Hoppy bitterness throughout but no too biting.

Mouthfeel is a carbonated hoppy feel.

Overall a good double IPA. The aroma of this beer is amazing!

05-14-2011 16:59:24 | More by vtblackdog
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

seriously one of the best beers i have had in the style, not even a question and by far the highlight of the bbq on thursday night. poured into a nonic and split with calton, this was a rare treat indeed.

the pour was a wonderfully decadent hazy golden amber color with a smooth head of three inches in height and lacing that dripped down the side of the glass. crazy good look to it.

the aroma will simply knock you over, so fresh, so clean and simply stunning, fresh citrus abounds with a juiciness and ripeness that is unparelled. amazing pineapple, orange, tangerine, mango, i mean it was like straight juice pouring out of the bottle. so smooth and so fresh the hops just roll across the palate and settled on the tongue with the most mellow feel i could imagine. light grains are in the mid palate as it warms but it is the deep fruit freshness that is simply amazing here.

overall this has to be one of the best beers i have ever had. simply stunning and soo happy i got to try it.

05-08-2011 05:03:49 | More by mikesgroove