Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Double Sunshine IPADouble Sunshine IPA

Wants: 2,181
Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010)
4.43/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Pours a medium gold color, slightly hazy, good frothy carbonation that leaves a nice cap and some spotty lacing.

S - A nice amount of tropical fruits with some slight floral notes. Nice and dank, yet, still has a nice clean hop character. Lots of pineapple, mango, and orange peel.

T - Slight less tropical then the nose. Orange peel, pine, grassy hops. Little to no malt detected at all, very light yet the tropical notes help with the sweetness. Solid bitterness, not overly done, which I prefer. A nice "medium".

M: Light, crisp, smooth, refreshing, oily dank finish.

D: A very nice DIPA that I really enjoyed. Not overly hoppy or big on sweetness, which I prefer. Right "down the middle", if you will. I love any/all tropical fruit notes, so that seals the deal right there. Recommend.

Sean9689, May 04, 2011
4.55/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle shared by Chris, and again by Ethan - thanks! Poured into Lost Abbey Tumbler both times. Golden color with a slightly hazy yellow and a foamy white cap settles to collar. Smell is very tropical and sweet, really nice hop balance, very green and fresh, grassy slightly sweet malt in the back. Taste is very grassy followed by tons of tropical bitter hops, some sweet tropical fruit, pineapple, grapefruit citrus incredibly complex hop flavor. Medium body and medium carbonation with a somewhat dry flavor. Very solid ipa with a unique hop profile. I thoroughly enjoyed this, one of the most drinkable beers at 8% abv. Lawsons should cease production of about half their beers (I am looking at you, maple nipple) and produce this one year round. One of the best beers in the style.

nkersten, Apr 16, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to Chris (spycow) for sharing this one. Served in a Stone IRS tulip. Most recent batch (#192?) - two weeks old in any case.

A - Pours with a finger of white foam that eventually settles to a thin cap and collar, leaving spotty lace behind. Hazed golden sunshine color - surprise!

S - Very dank, with some citrus, tropical fruits, and a slight chive aromas as well. A light burnt sugary malt character reveals that it's a DIPA, but I initially would have pegged it as a regular IPA, as there's no alcohol and it's very hop-forward.

T - Taste is laden with grapefruit, pine, and a minimal malt backbone. Alcohol is again non-existent. Initially restrained in bitterness, although it mounts over the course of a glass.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, smooth texture, dry finish, and light residual resins. No alcohol warmth.

D - Just an all-around great beer. Best beer I've had from Lawson's for sure and competitive with upper tier offerings from San Diego. Highly recommended.

MasterSki, Mar 30, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +6.2%

So happy when I received this in the GIF I'm in. Thanks baconsausage

Pours a slightly hazy golden color. Thin white head and a bit of lacing. For an IPA it could use more head and lacing.

Aroma is amazing. Every fruit and citrus hop aroma you can think of. Mango, peach, apricot, grapefruit, orange. Amazing. Maybe the best smelling IPA I have had.

Taste is great. Citrucy hops. Little bit of malt. I think I taste some Nelson hops. Great.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry how I like my IPA's. Great carb.

Overall an awesome IPA that I hope I can get again. So glad I got to try one.

PeprSprYoFace, Mar 28, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to spycow and the rest of the Chicago Crew for leaving me a tickable portion of this bottle.

A - Yellow colored beer that was a touch hazy, white head bubbled up. Little bit of stick left on the sides for a nice looking beer.

S - Awesome good. Citrus, pineapple, tropical fruit, subtle touch of pine, and a hint of resin. Pretty much as good as it gets on the nose.

T - Taste is right up there with the best DIPAs I've had. Tropical fruit is great and not too sweet. There is enough malt precense to give it body, but you really don't notice it. Good bitterness to it.

M - Medium bodied, refreshing carbonation.

O - Awesome beer, I want more. One of the better crafted DIPAs I've had in some time.

AgentZero, Mar 28, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared my the man that goes by Thorpe429, thanks!

Poured into a Great Lakes snifter and believe it or not, this beer looks exactly like a DIPA. Nice lighter golden color with a bright white head that leaves some lace behind.

Very citrus-y and slightly floral in both smell and taste. Not really malt to speak of which is great. Some decent bitterness and a medium body with vibrant carbonation. Would have no problem drinking the whole goddamn bottle.

Lunch, Mar 26, 2011
4.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer is a clear, golden hue with a thick finger of white head that leaves a generous amount of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is awesome, and I know right away that I'm in for a treat. Pine, grapefruit, melon, citrus.

The taste does not disappoint, bringing a healthy dose of fresh hops and citrus fruits. Alcohol content is masked extremely well in both the aroma and flavor. At 8% abv, this beer is dangerously easy to quaff. Hoppy grapefruit juice. Mmm.

The feel is light to medium bodied with a very nice feel on the palate. The finish brings a healthy dose of dryness and bitter hops.

Overall, a terrific beer and well worth trying. I've been pretty impressed with everything I have had from Lawson's Finest Liquids so far.

Huhzubendah, Mar 21, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -5.3%

Bottle shared by Thorpe recently, thanks. The few beers I've had from this brewery I've been impressed with. I'd like to get more of their IPAs to try. They seem to have that figured out well.

Beer is really light in color, shockingly light yellow and mostly clear with a decent head of small white bubbles that leaves a little lacing on the glass. The carbonation is moderate to low.

Since this is an IPA this is where I'm suppose to say that it smells hoppy. In my experience there are four distinct hop aroma families, fruits (this can be divided further into tropical and citrus), pine, earth, and noble. This one is definitely of the fruit (citrus) variety with the pine playing catchup. Smells like simcoe, I should have read the label. Smells really nice, it's aggressive without being distracting.

Beer is medium in body, on the lighter side of medium, with a nice level of carbonation on the palate. Not as bitter as I expected but it is bitter to an extent. The hop flavors in the midpalate mirror what you would smell in the aroma, nice citrus presence with a pine backing that carries the hops to the bittering end, this makes me think that a piny hop was used as the bittering hop and the fruit / citrus hops were late additions. Overall a great DIPA. I'd have it again for sure.

drabmuh, Mar 21, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -7.1%

From 03/19/11 notes. Bottled shared by Thorpe429; thanks Mike, always excited to try new Lawon's beers. Batch 192, bottle 88, poured into a tulip.

a - Pours a murky golden color with less than one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, grapefruit, honey, pine hops, fruity malts, tropical fruits, and melon. Wow, this has to be one of the best IPA's I've ever smelled. We had Ephraim from Hill Farmstead earlier in the night which was amazing, but I liked the nose on this one even better.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, fruity malts, grapefruit, light pine hops, and tropical fruits. Some moderate bitterness up front. I think I enjoyed Ephraim's taste better but this was still a very nice DIPA.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, Some bitterness up front, crisp finish.

d - Overall this was an awesome DIPA and another great beer from Lawson's; it made me really want to try more of their stuff. I've had two of their IPA's now and they've both been very good. The nose was so hoppy and fruity it was perfect to me. Would love to have it again.

mdfb79, Mar 21, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -5.3%

Huge, huge thanks to imagineiii for sending this bottle my way. I've been looking to try this for awhile now. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours a bright, clear golden yellow color with a good white head and plenty of lacing as it goes down. The nose immediately lets me know that this is going to be delicious. It has loads of citrus character along with a bit of pine; slightly dank. Great hoppiness. The flavor carries the same notes, and the citrus hop character pairs really well with a great amount of bitterness. Very good. Light to medium body with a great dry finish. Very, very nice overall.

Thorpe429, Mar 21, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -5.3%

Picked up this bottle at the Cap City Farmers' Market, 1/22/11. Batch #183.

A-Pours a very hazy golden apricot with a nice cap of frothy off white head. A nice off white sheet of lacing.

S-Juicy citrus, sweet pineapple and mango with a nice malt undertone.

T-More grapefruit than pineapple but still quite delicious. Pleasantly bitter from start to finish with a grapefruit start and a lemon finish. A nice malt backbone as well.

M-Medium bodied, nicely oily, moderate carbonation.

O-Terrific example of the style. The hops are prominently displayed but the bitterness is understated and vibrant.

HV

sholland119, Mar 20, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -4.5%

22oz freshie courtesy of BA hophead0808..Thanks!

Pours hazy gold with an orangy hue and a two inch head of rocky, beige foam. Loads of thick, sheeted lacing with a solid foam cap for the duration of the glass.

Pungent hops leap from the glass as soon as the pour begins. Cracked garlic, onions, pine, grapefruit, mango, and pear. Very dank and reaking of kind-bud.

Medium bodied with a gummy, tacky, resinous mouthfeel. Lush and creamy.

Pine-rubbed grapefruit with shades of melon and tangerine start the palate. Undertones of honey and hop sap follow through.

Finishes with a firm but very smooth bitterness, dank, earthy citrus, and some faint malt. Very dry, smooth, and loaded with finishing hops.

Wowza. Sean nailed this one. A world-class IIPA and uber-fresh.

brewandbbq, Mar 05, 2011
4.53/5  rDev -3.2%

Jrae2424 hooked this one up... I shared with a couple of peeps over the weekend... Thanks a ton Jason... there were some eyes opened to the potential of this small brewery.

Batch 189, Bottle #9. Yellowish head... with great retention and lacing... hazed hellow orange brew...

Nose is fantastic mix of tropical fruits.. melon and apricot.. dried pineapple and lime tree blossoms.

Bracing bitterness out of the gate and it lingers through the finish.. hop flavor is still tropical with a bit of citrus... pretty dry with only enough pale malts to play well..

I would swear this is a PNW DIPA... but the bottle says otherwise.. I like it.

Body is a solid medium with a nice carbonation.. Awesome and very fresh.. The "lack" of maltiness may be a minor detriment, but I am not gonna complain. This is a damn good brew.

4/4.5/4.5/4/5

Very cool Jason.. I'm humbled.

JohnGalt1, Mar 01, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

Batch 192, as fresh as can be, delivered to the Warren Store today.
Pours a nice hazy golden orange color, and the smell is outstanding pineapple, citrus, and piney hops, theres a hint of something floral. Tastes absolutely wonderful, follows the nose and the grapefruit really comes out. The bitterness only comes through on the finish, but it does linger. The abv is not noticeable, along with with the deliciousness of this brew and that bitter aftertaste that can only be quenched by another sip make this one of the most drinkable double ipas I've come across.
This batch is great, although I really enjoyed the first run, the most recent one is just wonderful too. Sean's really getting this recipe dialed in just right.

iwantmorehops, Feb 26, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +0.4%

Appearance: Cloudy - suspect it's from all of the dank Hops!

Smell: citrus is prevalent, hop forward - outstanding!

Taste: Light and very fresh - catches a tonl of the hop flavors without the hint of Malt. Many 'double brews' are too malt forward. This is anything but.

Mouthfeel: Yes.

Drinkability: Yes X2

Love the double sunshine!!

Madbrew, Feb 22, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -7.5%

22oz bottle from the Warren Store. Review from tasting yesterday.

A. Hazy straw. Nice white head. Some lacing
S. Pineapple! Pine Tree! Citrus!
T. Pineapple! Pine Tree! I don't really like how they went together but they came about at the beginning and the end of the taste respectively.
M. Actually a bit thin, would have liked a bit more substantial body, but it went down well enough.
D. Very fresh and refreshing. Went well with spicy pad thai.

dirkchivers, Feb 16, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a yellowish-gold color with a frothy head.

Grassy hops with a touch of citrus as well. Perhaps a hint of mint as well.

The taste is full of a citrus blast that overrides the grassiness. Its just where it should be.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering citrus and perhaps a smidgen of malt.

Deceptively drinkable with more of a balance than I expected. I would certainly buy it if it were more readily available.

Brad007, Feb 13, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -8.5%

Thanks to baconsausage for my first taste of Lawson's. I've been digging these tiny breweries lately & more excited to try their stuff than most saltwater amphibians. Shared with my wife as the last beer on a quiet Friday night after an afternoon of ice fishing.

Bottle #17. Pour is quite the ray of sunshine in a glass; I also like Lawson's simple, cool label. Smell is juicy hops.

Juicy is the word on the bottle, & the word to describe Double Sunshine. This is the JuicyFruit of IPAs, I kind of expect pulp to be dripping down my chin. Huge floral, piney hops. There's earthiness in there too. Tongue-numbing bitterness lays about my tongue & mouth-skin. The only drawback is that dusty, dirty taste that sticks around in the aftertaste.

I don't know what hops were used to make this, & I suspect the freshness is showing, but this is pure hop-head territory. Not much in the way of depth, no subtlety, negative amounts of malts were clearly used in the recipe. That's the way an IPA should be made. Hop-forward. I like it. Excellent beer.

maximum12, Feb 05, 2011
4.55/5  rDev -2.8%

This was my second sample of this delicious brew....first was due to a very generous BA who shared at Capone's Hill Farmstead Event. Big thanks to another great BA who traded me this bomber.

Appearance: Pours the color of pumpkin paint with a smidge of rust mixed into it. Crown is 1 finger, slightly off white (a bit hop stained yet dull) shows moderate retention and good lace.

Smell: Wow nice tropical hop presentation. Lots of pineapple, candied orange peel, hint of sweet red fruit, a bit of pine resin and strong grapefruit notes (including pith). Amazing when fresh!!! Not so much 2 weeks later so keep that in mind when reviewing your bottle!

Taste: Same as nose. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied with good carbonation. I'd like a bit more heft personally.

Drinkability: I'd give it a 5.0 if the mouthfeel was better.

koopa, Feb 05, 2011

22 oz bottle, batch 183, bottle 99. Thanks Conor and TCassel! Shared with Jeff and Ben.

Pours a bright, slightly cloudy golden color with a massive, fluffy white head. Head never fades and leaves streaks of thin lacing. Aroma is pure hops, fresh and dank. Dominated by pine and floral notes, slightly sweaty, with a background of sweet tropical hops and malt. Flavor is strong fresh pine and citrus rind. Very clean and dry with a pleasant mild bitter finish. Mouthfeel is soft and medium thick, exceedingly drinkable. A little lighter than your typical DIPA, but extremely enjoyable and smooth.

Update. Just drank a few bottles of batch 211 within a few days of picking them up from the Warren Store. After being lucky enough to have this on 4 or 5 occasions, this has become my favorite IIPA. Tons of fresh tropical and citrus fruit with balancing, not abrasive bitterness, this is incredible.

Update 2/16/12. Eff it. One year later, still has never disappointed me and drinking a fresh sample now complements of Josh. If I don't give this a 5, I will never give anything a 5.

yourefragile, Feb 03, 2011
4.53/5  rDev -3.2%

Provided by Michael and also split with Ben, thanks for providing this rarity!

Pours a hazy gold with about a finger of short-lived head that fades to a thin layer with some nice lacing left on the glass.

Aroma is tons of fresh piney hops with some hints of lemon in the background. Not much malt is evident, but it's hiding in there somewhere.

Taste is a little sweet up front then the loads of piney hops hit and steal the show. Finish is some bitter resins.

The mouthfeel is fairly thick but exceedingly smooth with a pretty good bit of carbonation. The smoothness and well balanced flavors make this one easily drinkable. Very nice beer, making me want to try Lawson's other offerings.

321jeff, Feb 03, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -4.5%

Big thanks to kingcrowing for hooking me up with this brew. Cheers Nick!

Appearance: Poured into my DFH glass, this brew is a cloudy, honey color with about a half inch worth of off-white, foamy head. The retention is pretty good, and as I swirl the brew around in the glass I see soapy rings of schtick clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Fresh, glorious hops! Lots of resiny pine going on here with some nice citrusy grapefruit notes. Really robust.

Taste: Most impressive! The hop profile doesn't really hit at first, it builds slowly and peaks to a clean, bitter finish. Lots of pine and some overripe grapefruit. I do love me a fresh IPA!

Mouthfeel: A crisp medium body, good texture and carbonation, and ample carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a great tasting beer. Loads of fresh hops, lots of great flavor. I'm wishing I had more than one bottle of this. Absolutely recommend!

Thanks again Nick!

krisandajt, Jan 28, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -11.3%

22oz brown glass pry-top bottle with gold foil. Rare Batch #183, Bottle #62.

Pours a nice pale hazy orange with some thin white head. Rim looks a little watery.

Nose is great, lots of bitter grapefruit, herbs and cat pee kinda thing. Thought it was Amarillo, but I was wrong according to the brewer. Guessed Simcoe next, still wrong.

Palate is bright and aggressive on the hops! A true VT-style DIPA, with a juicy, chewy texture despite the light malt character/body. Palate is dominated by a hop that I'm not personally that fond of. Lots of sticky bitter orange, bitter yellow grapefruit and some leafy "herb" notes. Lots of gripping bitterness and some residual sweetness in the center (in true VT fashion).

Notes: A damn fine IPA, well brewed, but not really to my personal flavor profile.

SFLpunk, Jan 26, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +0.9%

The color of this beer is of a nice golden sunshine hue. The head is a nice finger. finger and a half. White that dissipates slowly and leaves it self on the side of the glass as you drink.

The smell is of fruits grapefruit, pineapple, and a hint of orange. There is a finish of pine. Everything is there for a great DIPA and each smell is distinct as you breath it in.

I tend to start all my beers extremely cold so that I can get the whole taste gamut of a beer. This was a bad idea on this one. It started off as an "eh" DIPA because it was so cold all I got was pine and grapefruit. I let it warm and the beer completely blew me away. All the smells come through in the flavor. It starts with a grapefruit up front quickly followed by the pineapple/orange flavor. Quite a nice fruit flavor throughout. The end is of the pine I mentioned in the taste, with an oily finish across the tongue that dissipates quickly.

This just rolls across the tongue nice and smooth. the finish is like a nice pine oil across the tongue that disappears as fast as it came.

Man I wish I had picked up that second bottle now. I tend to avoid most IPA's of any type, but I had heard that this was an amazing brew that had to be tried and it definitely lived up to it's hype.

Kelp, Jan 25, 2011
4.6/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: golden yellow with good clarity and a good amount of rising carbonation. Good level of head that holds well. lacing is good but not great.

S: A burst of orange, pineapple and mango followed by a nice piney and grapfruit note. some herbal and floral notes qualities are present as well. the hops are very well rounded with no sign of astringency

T: Again very citrusy hop profile with some bitter pine and grapefruit. very juicy and fresh tasting. Some grassy notes provide an earthy quality. The maltiness is subtle and light while still providing a bit of sweetness

M: Very smooth with no heat and a perfect level of dryness

D: A great DIPA overall that is extremely easy to drink with no offensive qualities at all

mikey711, Jan 23, 2011