Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Double Sunshine IPADouble Sunshine IPA

Wants: 3,047
Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.
Reviews: 299 | Hads: 1,909
4.5/5  rDev -2%

I've had this beer a handfull of times now, and it has grown on me throughout those tastings. I rarely get the chance to drink Lawson's, but this was from my third trip to the Warren store. Having had Chinooker'd, Hopzilla, and Triple Play at different times all before, Lawson's Finest Liquids has most probably become my favorite producer of IPA's and DIPA's.

A: Nice and hazy burnt orange, with a thin head. Just the way a double IPA should look.

S: Lots of tropical fruit. Clementines, Pineapples...

T: Admittedly, I used to find this one a bit too sweet. This is no longer so. It really is the perfect balance of sweet citrusy flavors, tropical fruit, and a heavy pungent finish.

M: Certainly syrupy, but not overly so.

O: Too bad Lawson doesn't have a pub that does growler fills, coz I could use 64 oz of this beer. A really exceptional DIPA. Vermont is known for this (or else they should be), and in my opinion, New England is fast becoming California's biggest American IPA competitor. Either way, Sean Lawson brews tremendous beers and as soon as The Alchemist announces their release of Heady Topper in cans I'll be driving four hours and back at the Warren Store for more.

This review is dedicated to my bride. She hates long drives and agreed to make the PILGRIMAGE to Warren, VT to grab this bottle (and a few others!!) Thanks for making the drive! Cheers to you Melissa!

Well, this review started Friday night at the ACBF in Boston. For some strange coincidence the best beer of the night has appeared to me in the first several samples in 3 of the last 5 years. This year was no exception and I literally fell in love. Of course, I wanted to visit Lawson’s booth as I had heard wonderful things. As my second beer of the night I tried this Double Sunshine. The heavens opened even before I tasted it. The aroma is just unreal. Let’s just say three hours later Sean and all at the Lawson’s booth knew exactly who I was as I visited again & again.

Fear NOT, this review is NOT from a sample size. I am sitting with bottle # 17 (my favorite number) of batch 212. I got up Saturday and drove 400 miles round trip to pick up a few bottles after hearing that there was some more AND that Sean mentioned he’s done brewing this “for a while” Enjoying the bottle is just the same. Insane.

So this is a first for me. I have decided that this is my favorite beer I’ve ever tried. For me IT IS “the perfect 5” Seriously, what could be better about this beer other than having it fresh on tap in my basement at all times?

Pours with a fluffy off white head with decent retention. Lacing clings in thick clumps everywhere. The beer has a subtle unfiltered haze to it while being a golden amber color. Gorgeous looking beer.

The aroma, frankly is to die for. So fresh and thick with floral grapefruit peel scents. It’s almost like someone curled a grapefruit peel under your nose and released all the oils in the skin. Just below this also lies some fruitiness. The best.

Where do I start? The resinous citrus/tropical flavors just burst in your mouth. Have you seen the current Starburst commercials where they claim the juice explodes in your mouth? Well this is that in a beer sense. Your mouth waters as is splashes in your mouth with a huge burst of juicy tropical goodness. The malt profile is perfect. Light cracker goodness that provides just enough backbone to let the freshness and hops shine. It’s been said before and it’s never been more true than here. The English created the IPA... Americans perfected it. Question, can there be a wonderfully bitter aftertaste that is refreshing? The answer is YES.

Body is amazingly smooth and refreshing for a DPA registering in at 8% abv. I almost can’t believe it. This beer can do some damage before you know it. Th bright fresh mouth feel is so lively and refreshing. The only thing holding you back from quaffing it is that you will only have it on a limited basis..

Truth be told, 400 miles wasn’t too bad to grab several bottles. I would have driven a lot more, but my wife would have made me make that trip solo. I’ll do it again, I can assure you. I think I am so intrigued knowing that it’s life is so short. Certainly after a month, it starts to fade into oblivion. Of course, few of Sean’s IPA’s ever make it that long on this earth. These sure as hell won’t

I’ve often talked about how the journey for the perfect beer was as much fun as the destination. I still agree with that notion. But the end of the line was PERFECT.

Congrats. You have made MY perfect beer!

Edit - Posting my review moved this from "A" to "A+" I could NOT be more proud!!!!

4.92/5  rDev +7.2%

Reviewed from notes at Friday's session of 2011 ACBF. Many times through the Lawson's line for this one.
A- This DIPA pours a nice golden color with a pure white fluffy head that billows up to the top of the glass and retains for a minute or two.

S- This is without a doubt the best smelling DIPA I've ever had. A heavy dose of tropical fruit slap you in the face. Pineapple mango at the forefront. The is also a bit of pine in there. This smells so fresh it is unreal.

T- The taste is just fantastic. It starts with all tropical fuit and has a bit of a pine bite at the end. There is no syrupiness that you get in a lot of DIPA's. The malt is there but in the background. Cannot detect the alcohol in this 8% DIPA. I would go as far as to say very refreshing. Again, cannot stress enough how fresh this tastes.

M- Mouthfeel is medium as there is no syrupy maltiness.

O- Overall this is a true A+ beer. This is the best DIPA I've had yet. The aroma is just about the best thing I have smelled. Thanks Lawson's for bringing this to the ACBF as sadly I won't be tasting it again for some time. Cheers Sean!

4.8/5  rDev +4.6%

Got this one in my poker winnings from baconsausage. Thanks a lot!

Poured a hazy golden orange color with quite a bit of slightly off-white head on it.

Smell was very citrusy with some floral notes coming through. Very nice aroma.

Taste was pretty incredible. Great citrus flavor up front with the hops coming through in the finish. Really a well balanced beer.

Mouthfeel was fairly light. Smooth drinking beer.

Overall a great beer that I would love to have again. I could drink this beer all night.

4.12/5  rDev -10.2%

Shared at Hill Farmstead gathering. Nice fruity aroma, so much tropical fruits (pinneaple, tangerine, mango) but also quite grassy and a nice cracker like malt balanced this one nicely. Superb aroma. This one is so drinkable and is very refreshing with all the fruits and grassiness.

4.89/5  rDev +6.5%

Rare Batch #211, Bottle #3.

Picked up during a fantastic beer adventure with BA mduncan last week at the Warren store. The storekeep was surly (at best), no doubt protective of us out-of-staters from loading up on this glorious brew.

The beer poured a cloudy tangerine color into a Sam Adam's glass - beautiful orange sunset hue when put directly under light. The moderate-sized head, significant for an IPA, deteriorated only slowly into lacing on my glass.

The aroma is absolutely unlike any other beer I have ever had - I get a lot of grapefruit, mango, guava, and citrus up front, with a piney and woodsy aroma the filters in the back. As unlikely as it sounds, it's a citrus grove in a pine forest.

As complex and unique as the aroma is, the taste follows up beautifully. A lot of the citrus and tangerine character is preserved with sweet, sappy pine. Hops are robust, but not overly so; they linger on your tongue in luscious bitterness, neither overpowering or underwhelming you. The complexities and subtle nuances keep me thinking - what an extraordinary brew.

This is somewhat unlike any other IPA that i have had - I frequently overlook this common brew category, but without the doubt, this brew sets the bar for me.

4.94/5  rDev +7.6%

Can... not... type...

Thank you Dean for this wonderful treat! Pours a light, cloudy orange with a very small head and some lacing. This is the only score under a 5.0 for me. THE NOSE IS OUTRAGEOUS. Pine, cannabis, vines, sap. Taste is virtually indescribable. Front end is all pine, leaves, and sap. Massive bitterness. It moves into a brief sugar cookie sweetness, then blasts with rich, citrus flavors. Finishes pretty dry and a touch of biscuity malt. HOLY EFF!!! No alcohol present. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side for the style, which I prefer. Overall a 5.0. This is in the elite class of IIPAs for me with Younger, Heady Topper, and Barley Brown's Tankslapper being the only other beers in this league. Find this. Drink it. Love life.

4.48/5  rDev -2.4%

Props to Chris for this super fresh bottle, batch 192, bottle # 117... Pours a murky light gold, dark in the middle, a little ugly. A nice white head, great retention and lacing... The aroma is fantastic, so fresh, just plucked pine needles with pineapples and an assortment of tropical fruits... Taste is equally great, bitting pine and alcohol of a dipa, but muted and so drinkable. This is awesome, must try.

4.54/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks to Tucker for this one! A bottle signed by the brewer received in the Too Many Rules BIF.

A - Pours a hazy, golden honey color. Nice tight creamy off white head.

S - Mmmm, Pliny like. Big resinous piney floral hop notes. Grapefruit and orange peel. This smells amazing. I could probably just sniff this all night.

T - Big juicy hops. Lemongrass and pine flavors at first. Quickly followed by clementine and other sweet citrus. The hops are present, but not bitter. The tongue dries out and slowly the bitterness creeps in. Not exactly "west coast" style, but not totally "east coast" style either. The aftertaste is subtle. Sweet citrus remains, but the faint touch of bitterness still lingers.

M - Oily, syrupy, chewy. Very nice. The carbonation is a touch low for my liking. The carbonation is acceptable, but I would like just a touch more, personally.

O - Best East Coast DIPA? I'd have to it's absolutely in the top 5. Wow, just a delicious treat. I love my WC style hop bombs, but this was a welcome change of pace. Now I just need to figure out how to get some more of this stuff.

4.35/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks Brian for bringing a couple bottles to share!
Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip glass it pours a saturated orange tone, with a slight haze to it. Lasting cap of white foam, with a ring of lace crowning the rim of the glass.

Dank... and I mean Dank aroma, lush and resiny, super pungent fresh hops taking on an almost cheesy quality. Phew!

Big citrus notes lead off initially, lush with bitter orange peel and leafy greenery. Again an almost cheesy quality about the hop varietals used. Lasting aftertaste, dry and bitter, resiny and clinging to the teeth and gums. Super fresh impression, very resiny with lush citrus. This is great stuff, thanks again for sharing Brian!

4.37/5  rDev -4.8%

Hazy orange juice colored with a thick, pillowy head just off white. No lace.

What a nose, tropical and citrus flavors burst from the glass. Grapefruit, pineapple, mango, starfruit, orange, lemon zest and more. Nice underlying Bready maltiness helps round things out.

Nicely balanced and wonderful hop compexity. Oily and full of resinous tropical flavors. Grapefruit and mango devour the mid palate with help of Bready, grainy malts to round things out. Pineapple, lemon, orange zest, and more. Nice snappy carbonation with some acidity at the finish. Except for a light astringent finish this is a fantastic beer.

4.62/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz botle, 8% abv. Bottle #94. Hazy gold, with a slight orange hue. Great fluffy white head. Great retention and lace.

Bursting with juicy hop aroma. Lots of tropical fruit, pineapple, mango, with a slight pine edge. Caramel malt in the background, but the hops are the showcase.

Lighter malt character. Sharp bitterness, but not overwhelming. Bitterness has the tropical fruit characters, but also some earthy notes.

Medium body, good carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden. Very well made.

4.89/5  rDev +6.5%

Big thanks to yourefragile for bringing this over to the end-of-law school tasting. This beer is incredible!

A: Pours a bright, slightly hazy golden-yellow with a nice white head.

S: This beer smells absolutely amazing. Perhaps the best aroma in any DIPA I've ever had, and that's saying something. It's just a blast of tropical fruit and hops and made my mouth water. I couldn't wait to take a sip.

T: The taste followed the aroma and did not disappoint - very juicy fruit flavors up front, but has a very hoppy, slightly more bitter finish than I would've expected given the other characteristics; it's very easy to drink and so nice and light.

M: Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with good carbonation. Just fine for the beer.

O: Hands down this is one of the best DIPAs out there right now, especially if you love the west coast style. I want to move to Vermont so that I can drink this every day.

4.24/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance is a bright yet slightly hazy yellow brew. moderate head forms and falls back quickly.

Smell is just exceptional. A sweet juicy hop aroma fills the air above the glass. I mean the smell is almost worth price of the bottle!

Taste is a good hoppy DIPA. Hoppy bitterness throughout but no too biting.

Mouthfeel is a carbonated hoppy feel.

Overall a good double IPA. The aroma of this beer is amazing!

4.92/5  rDev +7.2%

seriously one of the best beers i have had in the style, not even a question and by far the highlight of the bbq on thursday night. poured into a nonic and split with calton, this was a rare treat indeed.

the pour was a wonderfully decadent hazy golden amber color with a smooth head of three inches in height and lacing that dripped down the side of the glass. crazy good look to it.

the aroma will simply knock you over, so fresh, so clean and simply stunning, fresh citrus abounds with a juiciness and ripeness that is unparelled. amazing pineapple, orange, tangerine, mango, i mean it was like straight juice pouring out of the bottle. so smooth and so fresh the hops just roll across the palate and settled on the tongue with the most mellow feel i could imagine. light grains are in the mid palate as it warms but it is the deep fruit freshness that is simply amazing here.

overall this has to be one of the best beers i have ever had. simply stunning and soo happy i got to try it.

4.65/5  rDev +1.3%

Big thanks to mikesgroove for dropping bombs on my palate during Hobo Cookout #1 and sharing this with me! Bottle #53 from Batch #174! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured a hazy yellow-orange with a two finger slightly off-white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of swee malt, mango, grapefruit, citrus, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, mango, citrus, grapefruit, citrus hop, grapefruit hop, and subtle marijuana. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. Really great in all aspects on this one. The flavor completely floored me on how fresh and potent it was... Really glad I got the chance to try this one and if you have not, you should as well as it is definitely worth it!

4.33/5  rDev -5.7%

22oz bottle batch #201 bottle #81 poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 5/4/11

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with off-white head. Lots of bubbles racing to get to the surface.

S: Big bright floral citrus and herbal hop aroma. Super clean hop presence with very little alcohol detectable and faint pale malts. The hop bitterness and more alcohol come out as it warms up.

T: Plenty of hop bitterness and citrus hop flavors with some pine notes. Some pale malts and alcohol come through significantly more in the taste than in the smell. Really well balanced, definitely enough hop flavor and bitterness to be an IIPA with enough malty sweetness to handle all the hops. Sweet hop flavors linger for a while after each sip. This is pretty good at refrigerator temp but as it warms up it gets much better. As it warms up the bitterness mellows out but the hop flavors increase and it gets a whole lot smoother and more drinkable. Yum!

M: Moderate carbonation and hop bitterness, slightly sticky medium body.

O: Solid all around IIPA, my first offering from Lawson's and I am not dissapointed one bit. Seems like Vermont is producing some world class beers lately. Changes quite a bit as it warms up, it seems that the aroma goes from sweet to bitter as the taste goes from bitter to sweet.

4.42/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Pours a medium gold color, slightly hazy, good frothy carbonation that leaves a nice cap and some spotty lacing.

S - A nice amount of tropical fruits with some slight floral notes. Nice and dank, yet, still has a nice clean hop character. Lots of pineapple, mango, and orange peel.

T - Slight less tropical then the nose. Orange peel, pine, grassy hops. Little to no malt detected at all, very light yet the tropical notes help with the sweetness. Solid bitterness, not overly done, which I prefer. A nice "medium".

M: Light, crisp, smooth, refreshing, oily dank finish.

D: A very nice DIPA that I really enjoyed. Not overly hoppy or big on sweetness, which I prefer. Right "down the middle", if you will. I love any/all tropical fruit notes, so that seals the deal right there. Recommend.

4.55/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle shared by Chris, and again by Ethan - thanks! Poured into Lost Abbey Tumbler both times. Golden color with a slightly hazy yellow and a foamy white cap settles to collar. Smell is very tropical and sweet, really nice hop balance, very green and fresh, grassy slightly sweet malt in the back. Taste is very grassy followed by tons of tropical bitter hops, some sweet tropical fruit, pineapple, grapefruit citrus incredibly complex hop flavor. Medium body and medium carbonation with a somewhat dry flavor. Very solid ipa with a unique hop profile. I thoroughly enjoyed this, one of the most drinkable beers at 8% abv. Lawsons should cease production of about half their beers (I am looking at you, maple nipple) and produce this one year round. One of the best beers in the style.

4.47/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Chris (spycow) for sharing this one. Served in a Stone IRS tulip. Most recent batch (#192?) - two weeks old in any case.

A - Pours with a finger of white foam that eventually settles to a thin cap and collar, leaving spotty lace behind. Hazed golden sunshine color - surprise!

S - Very dank, with some citrus, tropical fruits, and a slight chive aromas as well. A light burnt sugary malt character reveals that it's a DIPA, but I initially would have pegged it as a regular IPA, as there's no alcohol and it's very hop-forward.

T - Taste is laden with grapefruit, pine, and a minimal malt backbone. Alcohol is again non-existent. Initially restrained in bitterness, although it mounts over the course of a glass.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, smooth texture, dry finish, and light residual resins. No alcohol warmth.

D - Just an all-around great beer. Best beer I've had from Lawson's for sure and competitive with upper tier offerings from San Diego. Highly recommended.

4.97/5  rDev +8.3%

So happy when I received this in the GIF I'm in. Thanks baconsausage

Pours a slightly hazy golden color. Thin white head and a bit of lacing. For an IPA it could use more head and lacing.

Aroma is amazing. Every fruit and citrus hop aroma you can think of. Mango, peach, apricot, grapefruit, orange. Amazing. Maybe the best smelling IPA I have had.

Taste is great. Citrucy hops. Little bit of malt. I think I taste some Nelson hops. Great.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry how I like my IPA's. Great carb.

Overall an awesome IPA that I hope I can get again. So glad I got to try one.

4.42/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to spycow and the rest of the Chicago Crew for leaving me a tickable portion of this bottle.

A - Yellow colored beer that was a touch hazy, white head bubbled up. Little bit of stick left on the sides for a nice looking beer.

S - Awesome good. Citrus, pineapple, tropical fruit, subtle touch of pine, and a hint of resin. Pretty much as good as it gets on the nose.

T - Taste is right up there with the best DIPAs I've had. Tropical fruit is great and not too sweet. There is enough malt precense to give it body, but you really don't notice it. Good bitterness to it.

M - Medium bodied, refreshing carbonation.

O - Awesome beer, I want more. One of the better crafted DIPAs I've had in some time.

4.38/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared my the man that goes by Thorpe429, thanks!

Poured into a Great Lakes snifter and believe it or not, this beer looks exactly like a DIPA. Nice lighter golden color with a bright white head that leaves some lace behind.

Very citrus-y and slightly floral in both smell and taste. Not really malt to speak of which is great. Some decent bitterness and a medium body with vibrant carbonation. Would have no problem drinking the whole goddamn bottle.

4.97/5  rDev +8.3%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer is a clear, golden hue with a thick finger of white head that leaves a generous amount of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is awesome, and I know right away that I'm in for a treat. Pine, grapefruit, melon, citrus.

The taste does not disappoint, bringing a healthy dose of fresh hops and citrus fruits. Alcohol content is masked extremely well in both the aroma and flavor. At 8% abv, this beer is dangerously easy to quaff. Hoppy grapefruit juice. Mmm.

The feel is light to medium bodied with a very nice feel on the palate. The finish brings a healthy dose of dryness and bitter hops.

Overall, a terrific beer and well worth trying. I've been pretty impressed with everything I have had from Lawson's Finest Liquids so far.

4.42/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle shared by Thorpe recently, thanks. The few beers I've had from this brewery I've been impressed with. I'd like to get more of their IPAs to try. They seem to have that figured out well.

Beer is really light in color, shockingly light yellow and mostly clear with a decent head of small white bubbles that leaves a little lacing on the glass. The carbonation is moderate to low.

Since this is an IPA this is where I'm suppose to say that it smells hoppy. In my experience there are four distinct hop aroma families, fruits (this can be divided further into tropical and citrus), pine, earth, and noble. This one is definitely of the fruit (citrus) variety with the pine playing catchup. Smells like simcoe, I should have read the label. Smells really nice, it's aggressive without being distracting.

Beer is medium in body, on the lighter side of medium, with a nice level of carbonation on the palate. Not as bitter as I expected but it is bitter to an extent. The hop flavors in the midpalate mirror what you would smell in the aroma, nice citrus presence with a pine backing that carries the hops to the bittering end, this makes me think that a piny hop was used as the bittering hop and the fruit / citrus hops were late additions. Overall a great DIPA. I'd have it again for sure.

Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids