Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Wants: 3,012
Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.
firstprev| 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next → last
Reviews: 299 | Hads: 1,904
4.66/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From 03/19/11 notes. Bottled shared by Thorpe429; thanks Mike, always excited to try new Lawon's beers. Batch 192, bottle 88, poured into a tulip.

a - Pours a murky golden color with less than one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, grapefruit, honey, pine hops, fruity malts, tropical fruits, and melon. Wow, this has to be one of the best IPA's I've ever smelled. We had Ephraim from Hill Farmstead earlier in the night which was amazing, but I liked the nose on this one even better.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, fruity malts, grapefruit, light pine hops, and tropical fruits. Some moderate bitterness up front. I think I enjoyed Ephraim's taste better but this was still a very nice DIPA.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, Some bitterness up front, crisp finish.

d - Overall this was an awesome DIPA and another great beer from Lawson's; it made me really want to try more of their stuff. I've had two of their IPA's now and they've both been very good. The nose was so hoppy and fruity it was perfect to me. Would love to have it again. (1,093 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -3.7%

Huge, huge thanks to imagineiii for sending this bottle my way. I've been looking to try this for awhile now. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours a bright, clear golden yellow color with a good white head and plenty of lacing as it goes down. The nose immediately lets me know that this is going to be delicious. It has loads of citrus character along with a bit of pine; slightly dank. Great hoppiness. The flavor carries the same notes, and the citrus hop character pairs really well with a great amount of bitterness. Very good. Light to medium body with a great dry finish. Very, very nice overall. (599 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -3.7%

Picked up this bottle at the Cap City Farmers' Market, 1/22/11. Batch #183.

A-Pours a very hazy golden apricot with a nice cap of frothy off white head. A nice off white sheet of lacing.

S-Juicy citrus, sweet pineapple and mango with a nice malt undertone.

T-More grapefruit than pineapple but still quite delicious. Pleasantly bitter from start to finish with a grapefruit start and a lemon finish. A nice malt backbone as well.

M-Medium bodied, nicely oily, moderate carbonation.

O-Terrific example of the style. The hops are prominently displayed but the bitterness is understated and vibrant.

HV (605 characters)

4.48/5  rDev -2.4%

22oz freshie courtesy of BA hophead0808..Thanks!

Pours hazy gold with an orangy hue and a two inch head of rocky, beige foam. Loads of thick, sheeted lacing with a solid foam cap for the duration of the glass.

Pungent hops leap from the glass as soon as the pour begins. Cracked garlic, onions, pine, grapefruit, mango, and pear. Very dank and reaking of kind-bud.

Medium bodied with a gummy, tacky, resinous mouthfeel. Lush and creamy.

Pine-rubbed grapefruit with shades of melon and tangerine start the palate. Undertones of honey and hop sap follow through.

Finishes with a firm but very smooth bitterness, dank, earthy citrus, and some faint malt. Very dry, smooth, and loaded with finishing hops.

Wowza. Sean nailed this one. A world-class IIPA and uber-fresh. (772 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -1.5%

Jrae2424 hooked this one up... I shared with a couple of peeps over the weekend... Thanks a ton Jason... there were some eyes opened to the potential of this small brewery.

Batch 189, Bottle #9. Yellowish head... with great retention and lacing... hazed hellow orange brew...

Nose is fantastic mix of tropical fruits.. melon and apricot.. dried pineapple and lime tree blossoms.

Bracing bitterness out of the gate and it lingers through the finish.. hop flavor is still tropical with a bit of citrus... pretty dry with only enough pale malts to play well..

I would swear this is a PNW DIPA... but the bottle says otherwise.. I like it.

Body is a solid medium with a nice carbonation.. Awesome and very fresh.. The "lack" of maltiness may be a minor detriment, but I am not gonna complain. This is a damn good brew.

4/4.5/4.5/4/5

Very cool Jason.. I'm humbled. (867 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +7.2%

Batch 192, as fresh as can be, delivered to the Warren Store today.
Pours a nice hazy golden orange color, and the smell is outstanding pineapple, citrus, and piney hops, theres a hint of something floral. Tastes absolutely wonderful, follows the nose and the grapefruit really comes out. The bitterness only comes through on the finish, but it does linger. The abv is not noticeable, along with with the deliciousness of this brew and that bitter aftertaste that can only be quenched by another sip make this one of the most drinkable double ipas I've come across.
This batch is great, although I really enjoyed the first run, the most recent one is just wonderful too. Sean's really getting this recipe dialed in just right. (727 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Cloudy - suspect it's from all of the dank Hops!

Smell: citrus is prevalent, hop forward - outstanding!

Taste: Light and very fresh - catches a tonl of the hop flavors without the hint of Malt. Many 'double brews' are too malt forward. This is anything but.

Mouthfeel: Yes.

Drinkability: Yes X2

Love the double sunshine!! (339 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -5.4%

22oz bottle from the Warren Store. Review from tasting yesterday.

A. Hazy straw. Nice white head. Some lacing
S. Pineapple! Pine Tree! Citrus!
T. Pineapple! Pine Tree! I don't really like how they went together but they came about at the beginning and the end of the taste respectively.
M. Actually a bit thin, would have liked a bit more substantial body, but it went down well enough.
D. Very fresh and refreshing. Went well with spicy pad thai. (448 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a yellowish-gold color with a frothy head.

Grassy hops with a touch of citrus as well. Perhaps a hint of mint as well.

The taste is full of a citrus blast that overrides the grassiness. Its just where it should be.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering citrus and perhaps a smidgen of malt.

Deceptively drinkable with more of a balance than I expected. I would certainly buy it if it were more readily available. (415 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -7.4%

Thanks to baconsausage for my first taste of Lawson's. I've been digging these tiny breweries lately & more excited to try their stuff than most saltwater amphibians. Shared with my wife as the last beer on a quiet Friday night after an afternoon of ice fishing.

Bottle #17. Pour is quite the ray of sunshine in a glass; I also like Lawson's simple, cool label. Smell is juicy hops.

Juicy is the word on the bottle, & the word to describe Double Sunshine. This is the JuicyFruit of IPAs, I kind of expect pulp to be dripping down my chin. Huge floral, piney hops. There's earthiness in there too. Tongue-numbing bitterness lays about my tongue & mouth-skin. The only drawback is that dusty, dirty taste that sticks around in the aftertaste.

I don't know what hops were used to make this, & I suspect the freshness is showing, but this is pure hop-head territory. Not much in the way of depth, no subtlety, negative amounts of malts were clearly used in the recipe. That's the way an IPA should be made. Hop-forward. I like it. Excellent beer. (1,048 characters)

4.57/5  rDev -0.4%

This was my second sample of this delicious brew....first was due to a very generous BA who shared at Capone's Hill Farmstead Event. Big thanks to another great BA who traded me this bomber.

Appearance: Pours the color of pumpkin paint with a smidge of rust mixed into it. Crown is 1 finger, slightly off white (a bit hop stained yet dull) shows moderate retention and good lace.

Smell: Wow nice tropical hop presentation. Lots of pineapple, candied orange peel, hint of sweet red fruit, a bit of pine resin and strong grapefruit notes (including pith). Amazing when fresh!!! Not so much 2 weeks later so keep that in mind when reviewing your bottle!

Taste: Same as nose. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied with good carbonation. I'd like a bit more heft personally.

Drinkability: I'd give it a 5.0 if the mouthfeel was better. (847 characters)

22 oz bottle, batch 183, bottle 99. Thanks Conor and TCassel! Shared with Jeff and Ben.

Pours a bright, slightly cloudy golden color with a massive, fluffy white head. Head never fades and leaves streaks of thin lacing. Aroma is pure hops, fresh and dank. Dominated by pine and floral notes, slightly sweaty, with a background of sweet tropical hops and malt. Flavor is strong fresh pine and citrus rind. Very clean and dry with a pleasant mild bitter finish. Mouthfeel is soft and medium thick, exceedingly drinkable. A little lighter than your typical DIPA, but extremely enjoyable and smooth.

Update. Just drank a few bottles of batch 211 within a few days of picking them up from the Warren Store. After being lucky enough to have this on 4 or 5 occasions, this has become my favorite IIPA. Tons of fresh tropical and citrus fruit with balancing, not abrasive bitterness, this is incredible.

Update 2/16/12. Eff it. One year later, still has never disappointed me and drinking a fresh sample now complements of Josh. If I don't give this a 5, I will never give anything a 5. (1,081 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -1.5%

Provided by Michael and also split with Ben, thanks for providing this rarity!

Pours a hazy gold with about a finger of short-lived head that fades to a thin layer with some nice lacing left on the glass.

Aroma is tons of fresh piney hops with some hints of lemon in the background. Not much malt is evident, but it's hiding in there somewhere.

Taste is a little sweet up front then the loads of piney hops hit and steal the show. Finish is some bitter resins.

The mouthfeel is fairly thick but exceedingly smooth with a pretty good bit of carbonation. The smoothness and well balanced flavors make this one easily drinkable. Very nice beer, making me want to try Lawson's other offerings. (693 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -2.6%

Big thanks to kingcrowing for hooking me up with this brew. Cheers Nick!

Appearance: Poured into my DFH glass, this brew is a cloudy, honey color with about a half inch worth of off-white, foamy head. The retention is pretty good, and as I swirl the brew around in the glass I see soapy rings of schtick clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Fresh, glorious hops! Lots of resiny pine going on here with some nice citrusy grapefruit notes. Really robust.

Taste: Most impressive! The hop profile doesn't really hit at first, it builds slowly and peaks to a clean, bitter finish. Lots of pine and some overripe grapefruit. I do love me a fresh IPA!

Mouthfeel: A crisp medium body, good texture and carbonation, and ample carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a great tasting beer. Loads of fresh hops, lots of great flavor. I'm wishing I had more than one bottle of this. Absolutely recommend!

Thanks again Nick! (917 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -9.2%

22oz brown glass pry-top bottle with gold foil. Rare Batch #183, Bottle #62.

Pours a nice pale hazy orange with some thin white head. Rim looks a little watery.

Nose is great, lots of bitter grapefruit, herbs and cat pee kinda thing. Thought it was Amarillo, but I was wrong according to the brewer. Guessed Simcoe next, still wrong.

Palate is bright and aggressive on the hops! A true VT-style DIPA, with a juicy, chewy texture despite the light malt character/body. Palate is dominated by a hop that I'm not personally that fond of. Lots of sticky bitter orange, bitter yellow grapefruit and some leafy "herb" notes. Lots of gripping bitterness and some residual sweetness in the center (in true VT fashion).

Notes: A damn fine IPA, well brewed, but not really to my personal flavor profile. (797 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +2%

The color of this beer is of a nice golden sunshine hue. The head is a nice finger. finger and a half. White that dissipates slowly and leaves it self on the side of the glass as you drink.

The smell is of fruits grapefruit, pineapple, and a hint of orange. There is a finish of pine. Everything is there for a great DIPA and each smell is distinct as you breath it in.

I tend to start all my beers extremely cold so that I can get the whole taste gamut of a beer. This was a bad idea on this one. It started off as an "eh" DIPA because it was so cold all I got was pine and grapefruit. I let it warm and the beer completely blew me away. All the smells come through in the flavor. It starts with a grapefruit up front quickly followed by the pineapple/orange flavor. Quite a nice fruit flavor throughout. The end is of the pine I mentioned in the taste, with an oily finish across the tongue that dissipates quickly.

This just rolls across the tongue nice and smooth. the finish is like a nice pine oil across the tongue that disappears as fast as it came.

Man I wish I had picked up that second bottle now. I tend to avoid most IPA's of any type, but I had heard that this was an amazing brew that had to be tried and it definitely lived up to it's hype. (1,261 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: golden yellow with good clarity and a good amount of rising carbonation. Good level of head that holds well. lacing is good but not great.

S: A burst of orange, pineapple and mango followed by a nice piney and grapfruit note. some herbal and floral notes qualities are present as well. the hops are very well rounded with no sign of astringency

T: Again very citrusy hop profile with some bitter pine and grapefruit. very juicy and fresh tasting. Some grassy notes provide an earthy quality. The maltiness is subtle and light while still providing a bit of sweetness

M: Very smooth with no heat and a perfect level of dryness

D: A great DIPA overall that is extremely easy to drink with no offensive qualities at all (724 characters)

I think this is one of only 3 reviews that I gave a full 5 stars on.

This beer is ABOVE par with any of the top Double IPAs around, be it West or East or 3rd Coast. This stuff is the bomb...I dont know why everyone is so up in arms about Heady Topper when this beer here is a clear winner and trump HT in overall drinkability and quality. Its a hop heads dream. I had this beer along side some HT and Pliny, and I preferred this beer easily over the others. From first pour, the bouquet was awesome, the appearance was just beautiful with its amber color and off white head. The taste, where do I begin? Its just awesome, hops hops and more hops with good balance and not overly bitter but just enough grapefruit bite and left an oily but no overpowering lingering taste, mouthfeel was good. Overall, this is one awesome DIPA and I hope to God that I can score more of it.
Well done Sean Lawson, and thanks for getting me a bottle of this! (941 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -2%

I understand most west coast beer geeks believe they have a lock on the best IIPA's and they are mostly right. Lawson's is so small, lack of distribution will never impact enough left coast taste buds to alter that wide held notion. BUT, if you get a hold of this one, expect the best!
A: Pale straw and minor haze, medium white head
S: Bold and fruity hops abound! Intense citrus and clean, with a a hint of buscuit.
Taste: Simular to nose, with strong "C" hops first with pleasing but intense bitter and just a sense of malt backing. Finishes with a bite of bitter and pepper.
M: Smooth and well carbonated -
D: Get 2 or 3 of these if you can because it's a delight in evey way from the moment you pop the top and get a face-full of hops, to light lacing and a pucker-up finish. Drinks considerably lighter than the 8% would imply, with slight boozyness as it warms. (869 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -11.3%

Bottle #3! Thanks ATLBeerdog. A quickie, 'cause we have lots to drink.

A gold hazed DIPA with a short head, lace and reeking of delicious hops. Seriously one of the better noses on a DIPA I've smelt lately, reminds me of Pliny the Younger (yes, really) all tropical and mango / pineapple and dank, green and sweet and fun. Alas, the flavor is a bit pedestrian after all that, the malt not really standing up to the hop rush. A bit thin and the finish is short and doesn't stand out. Still... worthy, and should be better fresh.

Double Sunshine isn't outstanding, but it is a very good smelling DIPA with a lot to like about it. (630 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This will be my first Lawson's beer. Heard great things about this brewery. Glad to finally have some of their beers to try. 22oz bottle, bottle 86 of 174...

A: A beautiful clear golden honey color with a 1 inch off white head that fades at a decent pace to a tiny lace atop the brew. Very good.

S: I can smell this from the glass on the table. Very interesting. It's like a tropical smelling IPA. Think IPA citrus with some pineapple and banana. I get some strong earthy citrus upfront with some apple and pineapple quick to follow. Some grapefruit on the backend. Very faint booziness hidden on the back. Very good.

T: Taste is not as complex as the scent unfortunately. I get a quick bitter hop upfront quickly subdued by some watery malt. Some dry pineapple in the middle with a smooth creaminess buried on the backend. Blended well. Decent.

M: Full bodied with a good carbonation feel. A nice clean and dry finish. Very good.

D: This one goes down very easy.

All in all, this is a great beer. Everything is spot on with the exception of the taste. The taste is good, but not great. The rest of the categories are great. I definitely cannot wait to try more brews from Lawson's. For a unique twist on an IPA, give this brew a try. (1,240 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -7.8%

Portsmouth brew pub glassful- soft pour still produced a big white lacing head.

The color of this is an orange amber- golden brown. Completely devoid of floating particles or clouding of any kind- apart from its color its crystal clear; like a glass of consomme'. Very attractive.

Smell is a candied sweetness with orange peel and grapefruit blanketed by tangerine & pine.

Tastes- Bitter, juicy tangerine hops. Almost a faint taste of berries that turns to citric tropical fruits then finishes with pine, grapefruit/tangerine and bitter hops. Nicely balanced, gentle malts and candied sweetness carry through from start to finish.
My second glass is a colder pour than my first (the bottle was kept in the fridge during review) and is now very cloudy. Rings and rings of sticky lacing all over the inner glass.

Mouthfeel- Crisp, fine, tingling bubbles dissipate into a juicy smooth, resinous easy drinking sauce with a slightly dry finish.

This is a tasty IPA... I mean, glass of sunshine-
This is one of the first things Ive had from Lawson's and its great! I hope he keeps the good brew coming! (1,106 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured from a bomber into a DFH shaped pint glass. The beer pours a nice hazy glowing orange with a one finger foamy white head. The head quickly fades to a tight ring, leaving oily lacing on the walls of the glass.

The smell is all citrus hops. Sweet tangerines, grapefruit and sharp oranges are backed by a light candied sugar malt.

The taste follows the nose closely, lots of tangerines, oranges and loads of grapefruit that starts off sweet and builds to a more bitter grapefruit flavor. Just a hint of candied sugar sweetness in the background of this one, the finish is nice and bitter, leaving a juicy aftertaste.

The carbonation is spot on for the style, the beer has a nice medium body that carries the strong flavors and the alcohol is present while drinking the beer, but never gets in the way. The bitter finish invites further drinking, this is another solid hoppy offering from Lawsons. (903 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -4.4%

22oz bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a hazy golden amber color with a nice one finger lightly yellow very sticky head that leads to lots of lacing. Nose is phenomenal, it's very fruity and floral, dank and spicy. Not sure how he does it with these IPAs, but they all smell amazing.

Wow, this is so creamy and juicy and dank. It coats your math with a smooth creamy hop coating - the bitterness is quite harsh, less so than hopzilla though, which means you get more fruity and vegetal flavors. The carbonation is nice, sharp and crisp but the body is almost like a cask IPA which is cool. The finish is really dry and leaves you wanting more but there is a bit of an earthy grass like flavor on the finish that's a bit too prominent for me.

Overall, it's a good little brother to Hopzilla. (805 characters)

firstprev| 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next → last