2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Double Sunshine IPADouble Sunshine IPA

Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010)
View: Beers (49) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,332 | Reviews: 277 | Show All Ratings:
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.98/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer is a clear, golden hue with a thick finger of white head that leaves a generous amount of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is awesome, and I know right away that I'm in for a treat. Pine, grapefruit, melon, citrus.

The taste does not disappoint, bringing a healthy dose of fresh hops and citrus fruits. Alcohol content is masked extremely well in both the aroma and flavor. At 8% abv, this beer is dangerously easy to quaff. Hoppy grapefruit juice. Mmm.

The feel is light to medium bodied with a very nice feel on the palate. The finish brings a healthy dose of dryness and bitter hops.

Overall, a terrific beer and well worth trying. I've been pretty impressed with everything I have had from Lawson's Finest Liquids so far.

03-21-2011 23:56:01 | More by Huhzubendah
ironchefmiyagi13

4.98/5  rDev +6.6%

I had this at ACBF on Friday and went back 4 times just to make sure I tried it enough to write a coherent and honest review about it. I truly cannot find anything wrong about this beer. When the person poured me my allotment each time, I kept getting blown away. The aroma is, honestly, the closet thing we have to 'Ambrosia'. Every fruit you can think of: pineapple, mango, papaya, cantaloupe, grapefruit. Its the same for the flavor profile.

If I could say ONE little tiny criticism, is that the mouthfeel/flavor was just a TAD too sweet for me, but I am just nitpicking at this point. An absolutely amazing DIPA that I am lucky I got to have multiple tastings of.

06-01-2013 17:09:12 | More by ironchefmiyagi13
WolfBrothers

4.98/5  rDev +6.6%

S- Bomber bottle poured into a snifter
A- Poured this beer in thirds... First pour was Gin clear, 2nd pour was slightly hazy, and the final pour was quite hazy
S- WOW simply amazing! Nuff Said!
T- Super clean, super fresh and outstandingly refreshing!
M- Outstanding!
O- This beer is right there with the best of the best! Everyone likes to compare Pliny the Elder and Heady Topper but in my opinion this is better suited for the Pliny argument! These beers have more similarity. Double Sunshine gets the nod over Pliny in my opinion! Such an amazing beer! This beer is about as close to flawless as you can get! Looking forward to the Triple Sunshine!

02-24-2014 13:26:09 | More by WolfBrothers
HopHead_44

4.98/5  rDev +6.6%

Had this on Tap at the Three Penny tap room in Montpeliet VT this weekend. Had a hard time decideing between the 3 different hill farmstead offerings, rising tide calcutta cutter, and Heady Topper but i was very happy i choose the Lawsons. To me this beer is a more well rounded heady topper. the taste has alot of simialarities but the mouthfeel of this beer is just so much better. The color was great and the aroma was out of this world. This beer is outstanding. So much going on with this one. Was blessed to get to try it on tap while i was there being the local bevy sold out of there delivery in 45 mins. If you are anywhere in the local viscinity of this beer on tap drop everything and get there if theres any left!

02-24-2014 18:07:36 | More by HopHead_44
PeprSprYoFace

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

So happy when I received this in the GIF I'm in. Thanks baconsausage

Pours a slightly hazy golden color. Thin white head and a bit of lacing. For an IPA it could use more head and lacing.

Aroma is amazing. Every fruit and citrus hop aroma you can think of. Mango, peach, apricot, grapefruit, orange. Amazing. Maybe the best smelling IPA I have had.

Taste is great. Citrucy hops. Little bit of malt. I think I taste some Nelson hops. Great.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry how I like my IPA's. Great carb.

Overall an awesome IPA that I hope I can get again. So glad I got to try one.

03-28-2011 06:46:37 | More by PeprSprYoFace
rowingbrewer

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

This is a phenomenal ipa. This beer pours a golden yellow color with light orange hues. The smell is citrus and pine hops all rolled into one. The flavor is hugely hoppy with a real hop bite the citrus comes through first then the piney hops forward the middle followed by a bitter dry hop bite. This is the reason lawsons won the ipa crown. This beer has a nice light to medium body with good carbonations and a crisp bitter bite. Overall tied for my top two favorite ipas the other being Abner from hill farmstead.

11-28-2011 13:06:54 | More by rowingbrewer
DaveHack

4.96/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from bottle into Bruery snifter.

This beer pours a cloudy neon orange. Large head quickly settles to form an uneven layer on the beer. Thick lacing all down the glass.
The smell, seriously....this smell of HUGE citrus. I could sniff this ALL day long.
Taste is wonderful; sweet and bitter all at once. There is a nice fresh hop oil presence. Big and bold, this is not subtle....but it isn't brash. It's big and bold in the best way possible. This shit is off the hizzle!!
My mouth is in heaven. When a take a big mouthful of this sexy woman in my mouth I want to leave her linger there, savoring the silky feel of her. Thick and full, this beer hits the mark.
This is a Hell of a beer. A rare treat for sure, I hope to enjoy this again!!

Had to update my review. Seriously, this is as perfect as a beer can get.

03-23-2012 01:00:48 | More by DaveHack
twizzard

4.96/5  rDev +6.2%

Got this from a verrry generous IP trade. Pours a hazy orange with a half inch tight, white head. Aroma was sweet grapefruit and malt. Taste was just amazing....Nice citrus, floral flavors. Finishes with a beautifully smooth maltiness. Trying not to fall too deeply in love as this is a tough get. Highly recommended to anyone venturing to the northern reaches of Vermont. Imagine; Double Sunshine, HT & HF within half an hour of each other....Wow.

09-15-2013 19:03:15 | More by twizzard
squaremile

Oregon

OH.
MY.
GOD.

Can... not... type...

Thank you Dean for this wonderful treat! Pours a light, cloudy orange with a very small head and some lacing. This is the only score under a 5.0 for me. THE NOSE IS OUTRAGEOUS. Pine, cannabis, vines, sap. Taste is virtually indescribable. Front end is all pine, leaves, and sap. Massive bitterness. It moves into a brief sugar cookie sweetness, then blasts with rich, citrus flavors. Finishes pretty dry and a touch of biscuity malt. HOLY EFF!!! No alcohol present. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side for the style, which I prefer. Overall a 5.0. This is in the elite class of IIPAs for me with Younger, Heady Topper, and Barley Brown's Tankslapper being the only other beers in this league. Find this. Drink it. Love life.

05-30-2011 18:43:59 | More by squaremile
Hopstamon

4.95/5  rDev +6%

Picked it up at The Warren Store, Warren Vt.
22oz. bottle with foil top.
Poured into oversized Duvel snifter so I can get my nose into it and inhale the citrus love.

A- Poured out a beautiful golden hue that became clear enough to read the label through the other side of my glass. Amazing for an unfiltered brew. Well done.

S- Citrus explosion... juicy juicy juicy... yum. Tropical notes...grapefruit... yum

T- Amazing... this is what I crave in an IPA. Great flavor profile... hoppy and well balanced. Crisp and refreshing.

M- Light bodied and incredibly light on the tongue. Carbonation is right on the money.

O- I've had most of the others in the top 10 DIPA's...( Pliny E and Y, Heady Topper etc) and I gotta say-- Double Sunshine is top notch. Lawson really knocks it out of the park with this one. Can't wait until I get back to VT. and get more.

01-11-2012 00:21:43 | More by Hopstamon
Knapp85

4.95/5  rDev +6%

This poured out as a very nice looking yellow color with a fluffy white head on top. The head retention is strong and the lacing is very good too. The smell is loaded with floral, fruity and citrus aromas. The smell is almost addictive. The taste of the beer is solid as well, lots of piney citrus and melon flavors with a great malt backbone as well. The mouthfeel of the beer is very drinkable, soft and refreshing. Overall it's excellent. Very happy to have tried this beer finally.

03-05-2013 02:57:08 | More by Knapp85
GreesyFizeek

4.95/5  rDev +6%

Had on tap at the Reservoir Taproom in Waterbury, VT. Why did I get only one pour?

The best beer I had from many I tried on my Vermont trip. Pours and looks like orange pineapple juice. Tastes like what I imagine heaven is like- so fruity, citrusy. The hops are having sex with my mouth. Light bitterness lingers on the palate with each sip.

Medium bodied, great carbonation.

Thank god for this beer.

07-19-2013 00:25:30 | More by GreesyFizeek
BTVflatlander

4.95/5  rDev +6%

Fortunate enough to find some of this brew at the notorious Winooski Bevvy. At $10 a bomber, I figured it was worth a try. Served in a Fiddlehead snifter.

A: Cloudy, beautiful. Somewhere between yellow and orange--a bit different from some of the IPAs I've had of late.

S: Overwhelming citrus hop profile, with an emphasis--as the label description alludes to--on tropical notes.

T: Akin to the aroma, this beer is overflowing with juicy, refreshing, fruity tropical hop flavors. I could drink this again and again.

M: Perfect & supple.

O: Having had what I believe to be some of the best beers Vermont has to offer, I somewhat reluctantly decided to give Lawson's a try despite the relatively steep pricetag. It's an obligation, really, when so many would kill to try such an amazing beer from a fantastic brewery. And, despite the fact that, even living just an hour or so from Warren, Lawson's beers are still relatively unreliable to come by, I am extremely grateful I dropped $10 on this guy. Double Sunshine is undoubtedly one of the best--if not THE best--DIPA I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. It is very much on par, for me, with some of Hill's best stuff in the category. Finally, this beer did something I had previously thought impossible--that is, make Heady Topper feel relatively subdued and simple. Try it if you can.

09-02-2013 16:00:30 | More by BTVflatlander
Seanniek91

Rhode Island

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

Served from a bomber into an Alchemist Will Becher glass.

Appearance- Moderately clear gold with full foamy two finger head that lingers long leaving great lacing.

Smell- Big pineapple, tangerine, peach, white grape, green apples, vanilla, earthy grass and pine. No booze smell or real malt aromas.

Taste- Flavors of the aromas are present. A soft vanilla mixed with the pine and grass are standing out wonderfully. Finsih is green grapes and nectarines. No hint of booze what so ever.

Mouthfeel- Perfect body for an IPA. Smooth, no heat, medium-full carbonation, nice resinous quality. Super easy drinking.

Overall- The best IPA there is. I had it on tap in the summer at 3 penny and I've been dying to try it again. I wish it was easier to come by.

02-02-2014 00:35:16 | More by Seanniek91
mynie

Indiana

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

This is the exact opposite of Heady. Do not drink this directly from the container. Good god, if you never listen to another word I say please pay attention now: do not drink this direct from the bottle. You will deprive yourself of the most heavenly IPA aroma any American brewer has ever before created.

Aside from the aroma, it's an excellent example of its style and one of the 20 or so best beers I've ever had.

04-03-2014 01:01:16 | More by mynie
Givemebeer

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Golden slightly hazy beautiful white head nice lacing

S: Just an overwhelming amount of citrus and tropical scents in the nose this jumps out at you

T: Kiwi, melon, grapefruit, berries just every tropical fruit you can imagine soothing your taste buds before fading to a biscuity refreshing malt character and very little bitterness.

M: Medium bodied and fairly dry

O: World class. Had this just before Heady and preferred this. Just an incredible beer. Preferred by me over Pliny as well.

04-17-2014 18:23:14 | More by Givemebeer
iwantmorehops

4.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Batch 192, as fresh as can be, delivered to the Warren Store today.
Pours a nice hazy golden orange color, and the smell is outstanding pineapple, citrus, and piney hops, theres a hint of something floral. Tastes absolutely wonderful, follows the nose and the grapefruit really comes out. The bitterness only comes through on the finish, but it does linger. The abv is not noticeable, along with with the deliciousness of this brew and that bitter aftertaste that can only be quenched by another sip make this one of the most drinkable double ipas I've come across.
This batch is great, although I really enjoyed the first run, the most recent one is just wonderful too. Sean's really getting this recipe dialed in just right.

02-26-2011 00:55:37 | More by iwantmorehops
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.93/5  rDev +5.6%

seriously one of the best beers i have had in the style, not even a question and by far the highlight of the bbq on thursday night. poured into a nonic and split with calton, this was a rare treat indeed.

the pour was a wonderfully decadent hazy golden amber color with a smooth head of three inches in height and lacing that dripped down the side of the glass. crazy good look to it.

the aroma will simply knock you over, so fresh, so clean and simply stunning, fresh citrus abounds with a juiciness and ripeness that is unparelled. amazing pineapple, orange, tangerine, mango, i mean it was like straight juice pouring out of the bottle. so smooth and so fresh the hops just roll across the palate and settled on the tongue with the most mellow feel i could imagine. light grains are in the mid palate as it warms but it is the deep fruit freshness that is simply amazing here.

overall this has to be one of the best beers i have ever had. simply stunning and soo happy i got to try it.

05-08-2011 05:03:49 | More by mikesgroove
Robtobfest

Connecticut

4.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Reviewed from notes at Friday's session of 2011 ACBF. Many times through the Lawson's line for this one.
A- This DIPA pours a nice golden color with a pure white fluffy head that billows up to the top of the glass and retains for a minute or two.

S- This is without a doubt the best smelling DIPA I've ever had. A heavy dose of tropical fruit slap you in the face. Pineapple mango at the forefront. The is also a bit of pine in there. This smells so fresh it is unreal.

T- The taste is just fantastic. It starts with all tropical fuit and has a bit of a pine bite at the end. There is no syrupiness that you get in a lot of DIPA's. The malt is there but in the background. Cannot detect the alcohol in this 8% DIPA. I would go as far as to say very refreshing. Again, cannot stress enough how fresh this tastes.

M- Mouthfeel is medium as there is no syrupy maltiness.

O- Overall this is a true A+ beer. This is the best DIPA I've had yet. The aroma is just about the best thing I have smelled. Thanks Lawson's for bringing this to the ACBF as sadly I won't be tasting it again for some time. Cheers Sean!

06-05-2011 00:56:42 | More by Robtobfest
jmarsh123

Indiana

4.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to youbrewidrink for the bottle!

Pours a light orange with a 1.5 finger white head leaving excellent retention.

Aroma is wonderfully hoppy. An underlying pine and a deep whiff of pineapple along with melon and passion fruit. Just a touch of caramel sweetness and honey.

Flavor starts off with big juicy hops. Some pineapple, pine and grapefruit burst out of the gate. Just a touch of bready sweetness in the middle before ending with a pine/grapefruit big bitterness and dry.

Medium mouthfeel and carb. A little sticky but still finishes dry. Amazing.

This is my oldest want according to my list and glad I finally got to try it as it lived up to what I thought it would be. Wonderfully complex all out hop assault and went down way too smooth. I'll definitely play nice with Vermont traders for another crack at this one.

02-09-2012 22:45:43 | More by jmarsh123
MarcWP

Arizona

4.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle about three weeks old

Pours a slightly hazy apricot color with big soapy white head that lingers quite nicely.

Aroma is floral and citrusy. Tangerine, orange juice, peach, pineapple, pungent flower, with a faint dankiness. Vary balanced aroma with a hint of sweetness.

The taste brings big resiny notes of spruce, orange peel extract, lemon, spearmint, bitter pineapple, dough in the shadows, and something earthy that I quite can't pinpoint. Definitely kumquat in there as well. Very unique flavor profile and doesn't really represent the west coast or east coast style of IPA. Some complained of too much sweetness in this but I can't taste it. The citrus hop character gives off a sweet like flavor but it's in no way off putting.

The mouthfeel on this is surprisingly full and somewhat creamy. Have not had this kind of mouthfeel before in an IPA. It works with the flavor profile.

Overall a world class IPA that doesn't quite make my number one spot but is definitely in my top five. Not another double IPA I could remotely compare to this. Well done Lawson's.

01-11-2014 22:56:00 | More by MarcWP
FreeTheHopFreeTheMind

4.93/5  rDev +5.6%

I drink this beer regularly as it is on tap at a local restaurant in my town. I have to say it is usually my go-to when I'm there, even though they have Heady Topper, I choose the Double Sunshine mostly because it's harder to get then Heady Topper. Though it is almost an even trade off between Heady Topper.

A - Orange, with a hint of yellow, nice white head, served on-tap in a snifter beer glass, heavenly.

S - Perfect blend of citrus hops, the intense hop aroma is very pronounced in this beer.

T - Oh god, the taste.. I can't talk enough about how amazing the taste of this beer is, the first sip you almost don't know what just happened to your taste buds, was that a grapefruit, or a beer, but in an amazing way. The citrus hops are so intense and so perfectly balanced, it hits all the right spots on your tongue, it's smooth and extreme at the same time.

Overall this is one of the best beers I have the opportunity to drink on a day to day basis. From the moment it leaves the tap, to the last sip of the glass, you'll be happy and satisfied for every second being in the presence of this beer. Lawson's has got a winner in this one.

01-21-2014 16:14:05 | More by FreeTheHopFreeTheMind
VeganUndead

4.91/5  rDev +5.1%

Got to try this at the bottle share during Hunahpu Day 2012. Thanks to all you guys at the J-Table that enabled me to try so many good brews, and had me wasted by 11 am. As for this brew, Heady Topper to date is my favorite ipa/dipa i've ever had. This is a very close second. Cheers

Side by side with heady topper and dc brau on the wings of armageddon on 3/2/14.

Agree with my original tasting review, only thing that I would like to add is this has the best nose on it imo of any DIPA i've ever had. Still take heady overall as my favorite, but the nose on this thing is the best. cheers

03-11-2013 00:14:35 | More by VeganUndead
starrdogg

District of Columbia

4.9/5  rDev +4.9%

Big thanks to yourefragile for bringing this over to the end-of-law school tasting. This beer is incredible!

A: Pours a bright, slightly hazy golden-yellow with a nice white head.

S: This beer smells absolutely amazing. Perhaps the best aroma in any DIPA I've ever had, and that's saying something. It's just a blast of tropical fruit and hops and made my mouth water. I couldn't wait to take a sip.

T: The taste followed the aroma and did not disappoint - very juicy fruit flavors up front, but has a very hoppy, slightly more bitter finish than I would've expected given the other characteristics; it's very easy to drink and so nice and light.

M: Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with good carbonation. Just fine for the beer.

O: Hands down this is one of the best DIPAs out there right now, especially if you love the west coast style. I want to move to Vermont so that I can drink this every day.

05-15-2011 16:51:40 | More by starrdogg
rsgcwhite

New Mexico

4.9/5  rDev +4.9%

Rare Batch #211, Bottle #3.

Picked up during a fantastic beer adventure with BA mduncan last week at the Warren store. The storekeep was surly (at best), no doubt protective of us out-of-staters from loading up on this glorious brew.

The beer poured a cloudy tangerine color into a Sam Adam's glass - beautiful orange sunset hue when put directly under light. The moderate-sized head, significant for an IPA, deteriorated only slowly into lacing on my glass.

The aroma is absolutely unlike any other beer I have ever had - I get a lot of grapefruit, mango, guava, and citrus up front, with a piney and woodsy aroma the filters in the back. As unlikely as it sounds, it's a citrus grove in a pine forest.

As complex and unique as the aroma is, the taste follows up beautifully. A lot of the citrus and tangerine character is preserved with sweet, sappy pine. Hops are robust, but not overly so; they linger on your tongue in luscious bitterness, neither overpowering or underwhelming you. The complexities and subtle nuances keep me thinking - what an extraordinary brew.

This is somewhat unlike any other IPA that i have had - I frequently overlook this common brew category, but without the doubt, this brew sets the bar for me.

05-31-2011 21:45:56 | More by rsgcwhite