Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Wants: 3,101
Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.
Reviews: 305 | Hads: 1,935
4.69/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'm going back and reviewing some of my favorite beers I've had since my previous ratings now mean nothing. Double Sunshine is top 3 beer I've ever had in my life.

4.99/5  rDev +9%

Poured from gold foil capped bottle into tulip glass. Poured a nice medium amber color with excellent clarity for the first pour. Thin white head with nice carbonation. Later pours were quite cloudy. The hops really come through in the nose, with nice citrus, tropical, and pine scents. The taste is phenomenal with tons of tropical fruit, balanced malt, and a very slight bitterness on the end. Mouthfeel was very refreshing and crisp. This is an extremely well balanced IPA that matches its description perfectly.

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is just remarkable beer. It also points out how two beers can be so different yet equally fantastic despite being same category. Hazy apricot and gold pour. Fine carbonation that dissipates and leaves a light lacing along the surface of the beer. In both taste and smell, it is the anti-Heady and I don't mean that one is better than the other. All soft tropical fruits jumping out of the glass. Mango, pineapple, floral a bit. Just soft and gorgeous. Taste and mouthfeel follow perfectly. Again nothing similar to the in your face hops of Heady. Just soft and gorgeous hops layering on the tongue. So happy to have had the opportunity to try this marvelous beer. Seek it out, trade for it and savor it n

4.54/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Amazing surprise beer included in a box from TheSevenDuffs.

A: Pours slightly murky apricot colour with 3 fingers of bone white head which lingers and leaves clumps of lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: Bright and clean and sweet malts with citrus fruits, musk melon, musky mango and pineapple followed by hints of fresh cut pine on the finish.

T: Incredibly smooth and slightly buttery up front. and balanced with tropical fruits, citrus and pine that pair against middle notes of caramel malts. The sweet middle note slowly evolves on the finish to citrus bitters, notably grapefruit.

M: Medium bodied and incredibly smooth with medium carbonation.

O: Only of the most balanced DIPAs I've had with tropical and citrus fruits equally matched by caramel notes and a lightly bitter finish. I'm extremely lucky to have had a chance to try.

4.42/5  rDev -3.5%

The appearance is a Dark orange, like an apricot, with a white mist of light bright white foam.

The nose is so so fruity and strong with tropical fruit punch, banana, mango, lemons, apricot, grapefruit and then a great caramel malt backdrop.

The palate catches that same fruitiness of tropical fruit, mango, apricot, lemon and grapefruit but catches a little coconut as well. There is some honey but fans of herbal hops won't be disappointed with the subtle dank herbal hop tones underneath.

The feel is light, easy and drinkable but some alcohol heat exists if you drink it quickly.

Rarely do I find a beer that matches the hype but this one lived up to its billing.

4.91/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Probably one of the most perfect IPAs (with the exception of Ephraim) out there. The smell is amazing. Strong grapefruit and tropical fruits aromas. The taste does not disappoint, you taste exactly what you smell. The mouthfeel I think is what makes this beer awesome. A creamy, silky, yet slightly stickiness that lingers. Beautiful color and cloudiness. Unbelievable, this beer has ruined all IPAs for me. Nothing will ever compare.

4.36/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tried twice, once poured from a bottle into a tulip, another time served on tap at Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier.

A - Bright, glowing, golden hue, medium white head. Hazy, clearly unfiltered. I feel silly saying that this is one of the most beautiful looking beers I've ever seen in a glass...

S - Pineapple, citrus, sweet tropical fruits, light notes of pine. Very nice aroma.

T - Lots of citrus and tropical fruit with some light, lingering pine notes. The malts take a bit of a backseat here, rather hop forward. As the beer warmed up, I noticed that a certain booziness really started to subdue other flavors - more boozy than I would have expected towards the end.

M - Tight carbonation, somewhat light bodied, leaves a slightly slick mouthfeel.

O - This is an excellent beer, but I feel it's overhyped - especially considering the tight supply and availability of other great beers in the region.

4.54/5  rDev -0.9%

Discovered on accident at the Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. We went in hoping for Heady, and while they had just ran out, the disappointment did not last long, as the bartender suggested this fine DIPA to us as a consolation prize.

...if this is considered a consolation prize in Vermont, I need to move to Vermont immediately. I don't know anywhere else where second place feels like winning.

Served on-tap, consumed from a flare pilsner glass.

A: A slightly hazy golden coloring, like a sunrise peering through the morning mist. Only this one leaves you with a solid finger of pure white head, that slowly settles to a moderate cap. Not much lacing from what I can recall.

S: Two words. Miss Chiquita. This has got to be exactly what that mountainous pile of fruit in that woman's hat smells like. A dank explosion of tropical fruits, with a background of sugar. Much like other top notch DIPAs, this beer is a aromatic treat.

T: Citrus from the get go, followed by light pine tones, minimal malt, and a clean, dry finish at first... but after a few mouthfuls the hops start to linger longer and longer.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, ever so slight resin cling... a beer that makes your mouth feel happy.

O: No hype. No pretense. No expectations. Just a damn good beer that goes about its business making hop heads very, very happy. A truly great beer, and one I hope to have again.

One of the finest beers I have ever tasted. We came up for the lawsons anniversary and tried many of the best beers in the world at hill farmstead and alchemist. I have now had all of the top 10 except VBDL. I think this is my new favorite. Sunshine is the best of the 8 or so lawsons I tried this weekend.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Golden slightly hazy beautiful white head nice lacing

S: Just an overwhelming amount of citrus and tropical scents in the nose this jumps out at you

T: Kiwi, melon, grapefruit, berries just every tropical fruit you can imagine soothing your taste buds before fading to a biscuity refreshing malt character and very little bitterness.

M: Medium bodied and fairly dry

O: World class. Had this just before Heady and preferred this. Just an incredible beer. Preferred by me over Pliny as well.

4.62/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - Bomber to snifter, 2 finger white head left some soapy lacing, color is orange/yellowish , a bit cloudy

s - citrus and tropical fruits combine with some resinous hop notes to make a wonderful aroma

t - the taste starts off with similar flavors as were present in the aroma, a bit of malty sweetness comes through but is balanced out with a hoppy bite that sends you off with a lingering bitter finish

m - great carbonation and a medium to strong body, dry finish

o - A world class beer no doubt Many thanks to @dwduncan2 for hooking me up with this! I am definitely glad I got to try this and would recommend seeking it out to try at least once. However, don't know if I personally would go through much trouble to acquire again, whereas I will definitely be seeking out Heady Topper many more times!

4.36/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance - Hazy golden appearance

Smell - Bright, clean citrus nose

Taste - Nice citrusy hop forward taste with a great malt backbone

Mouthfeel - Clean and concise presence in the mouth

Overall - This is a beer I've only ever seen reviews and heard about. I was finally able to obtain these from the Warren Store on the Thursday release day. I was very excited to try this and was not under-whelmed by this beer. It pours a very nice hazy golden color with a nice citrus aroma. The balance and malty support of this beer in the mouth makes it fantastic.

4.78/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle received in trade. Pours a slight murky golden color. Nose is a big herbal, resiny, and fruity smell. Taste is similar with the slightly bitter herbal and resiny taste but with sweet fruit notes. Overall one of the best IIPA's I've ever had. Can't find a fault with it honestly

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had the pleasure of having it on both tap and from the bottle. First off let me say the drive to the warren country store and fighting the line is definitely worth it. Like others have said it is the exact opposite of heady topper but in the best way.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

This is the exact opposite of Heady. Do not drink this directly from the container. Good god, if you never listen to another word I say please pay attention now: do not drink this direct from the bottle. You will deprive yourself of the most heavenly IPA aroma any American brewer has ever before created.

Aside from the aroma, it's an excellent example of its style and one of the 20 or so best beers I've ever had.

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had the pleasure to drink Dbl Sunshine on tap at Mad River Glen in VT after a great day of skiing. This was the best the beer had ever tasted. Beautiful mandrine orange/gold appearance with a light fluffy mouthfeel and perfect notes of hoppy citrus. This batch put Double Sunshine ahead of Heady Topper for me...that good!

3.98/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Pours a golden orange with a white foamy head that dissipates quickly. Solid lacing all down the sides.

S: tropical fruit including pineapple and grapefruit. There was pine and light bready note.

T: Grapefruitand, papaya, pine and ETOH are prominent. bready notes.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: I've been fortunate to have had this beer approx a dozen times. While solid, this particular bottle was the least balanced. Bought at Montpelier farmers market early March.

4.6/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this for my CBS. Craft Beer Sunday for March Madness.

Poured into a tulip glass, along with some great friends. Bottle was less than a week old, so it was super fresh.

A- Poured more yellow than orange, poured to a one finger head that held its own. Less opaque than the average DIPA.

S- Started subtle with a hint of pine, closed with a moderate pineapple scent. A very unique and smooth experience.

T- Hops hit you semi-hard, but very consistent over time. Bitterness comes, and holds with a very grapefruit flavor, extremely pleasant experience. One could even say calming.

M-Very crisp for an DIPA, and extremely smooth.

This was not too hard and not too soft. The Goldilocks of DIPAs. A top ten for sure.

4.2/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Many thanks to Dereck for sending a couple bottles of this.

The beer pours a slightly hazy orange amber color with good head retention and light lacing. The nose is interesting in this beer, and not what I was expecting. There is a LOT of tropical fruit on the nose, with mango, papaya, peach and cherry. There is some underlying pine and orange citrus as well, just enough to let you know this won't be hot mess of a malt bomb. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, though as expected, there is enough hoppy bitterness to counter all the tropical fruit and malt in this beer. This beer is really a mouthfill, and I get almost something of a dry honey flavor in the midpalate as well. The mouthfeel is almost dense in this beer, and is very full, especially for a DIPA. Alcohol is generally well integrated into the flavor profile, though there was a hint of heat from the alcohol at the very end of the finish.

A very nice beer, no doubt, though I'm not quite sure I understand the top 10 ranking. This sort of reminds of masala mama on steroids, and while delicious, it's really not in the same league with Heady Topper, Hop Slam or the two pliny's. Regardless, this a delicious IPA, and one I'm very glad to have finanlly had the chance to try.

4.74/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'll preface the review by saying that if you're a beer enthusiast and Vermont is within driving distance, albeit a trek, the hours spent in the car are worth the price of admission. Is it a double sunshine, or is it a solar flare in liquid form that just emptied into my Surly pint? Either way, this unfiltered masterpiece is looking more like a mimosa than a glass of beer. There's enough residual lace on my glass to give a dendrochronologist a beergasm. The nose on this (for me) is pretty straightforward: Juicy Fruit chewing gum and fresh cut grass. It tastes like a well-balanced mixture of tropical fruits with just enough malt backbone to give it that perfect kick. Not overly bitter, just exceptionally balanced and masterfully crafted. So smooth; so drinkable; the abv on this one is masked and then some. This is a stellar beer. Lawson's Finest has done what I'm sure numerous other brewers have attempted, but their labor of love is simply put -- better executed. To my fellow hop heads and self-professed IPA lovers, I implore you to seek out this beer. If it were more accessible, it would maintain a permanent residence in my fridge.

Well done.

4.02/5  rDev -12.2%

Solid beer. Nothing more, nothing less. The hype surrounding this beer, all the "juicy" reviews had me expecting more. Don't get me wrong, good, but not great.

A - beautiful hazy more sunshine lemon than orange. Unfiltered, so as expected.

S - More muted than expected. Aggressive swirl brings out grapefruit rind and a vegetal and earthy component. More impressed with the grassy raw earth component here than the citrus.

T - there is a less than refined and raw earthy hop component to the taste which I can appreciate, although the "tropical juiciness" that everyone raves about is slim to none. The raw and bitter grapefruit rind is trying to shine, followed by lemony orange hints that make their appearance ever so slightly. Honestly, my 4 rating here is borderline generous. I'm slightly confused as to why this is frequently compared to other heavy hitters overly discussed on here.

M - very nice, but not as "sessionable" as others I can think of that share the same ABV. 1/2 way through it gets somewhat mealy. After 22oz, I'm good; which usually isn't the case with most other 8% DIPAs.

O - my trader on this one is awesome, reliable, and I'm assured this is not an old bottle. However, there's no bottle date, so I have no true reference to freshness. All I can say is that I'm glad I've knocked this off my list, but I can think of plenty of year round accessible beers that easily measure up to this one. Don't get me wrong. I'm very appreciative of this trade and opportunity. The coolest thing about this beer is the slogan in the label. "Straight from the green Mountains to your head." My type of people.

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I thought this beer would be more tropical. I think Lawson's has underwhelmed me on all the expectations I had for their beers.

A- Foggy non-transparent golden. Thick head with no retention.

S- Very mild tropical fruit, with more malty smell than anything.

T- Very sessionable, which is not a good thing when talking about a beer of such magnitude (though Pseudo Sue is sessionable too, but crushes this). Mild tropical fruits (mango, papaya, pineapple).

M- Medium to high grade on this. Thicker than most. Lots of carb follows.

O- I had expectations that this would be the best ever pale that I have had. It was way short of that. I could go shelf local and be just as satisfied. I will take one more look at this, as I just crushed a Godiva Dark Chocolate Bar that my have f*cked with my palate. I will seek out another bottle to look back on

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22oz bottle

A: Golden orange, slightly hazy

S: Not a punch in the face of hops as you'd expect from most IPAs of this reputation, however the nose is fantastic. Full of mango and peach, there is something very very unique about it.

T: If this isn't the best tasting IPA I've had it may at least be the most unique. Major juicy mango, peach, pineapple fruitiness with some earthy and grassy notes in the background. Hardly any bitterness detectable, hardly any alcohol detectable. There is almost something savory or meaty about it, like biting into the flesh of a mango.

M: Juicy juicy juicy

O: This one is a real winner, I wish it were easier to get.

4.98/5  rDev +8.7%

Had this on Tap at the Three Penny tap room in Montpeliet VT this weekend. Had a hard time decideing between the 3 different hill farmstead offerings, rising tide calcutta cutter, and Heady Topper but i was very happy i choose the Lawsons. To me this beer is a more well rounded heady topper. the taste has alot of simialarities but the mouthfeel of this beer is just so much better. The color was great and the aroma was out of this world. This beer is outstanding. So much going on with this one. Was blessed to get to try it on tap while i was there being the local bevy sold out of there delivery in 45 mins. If you are anywhere in the local viscinity of this beer on tap drop everything and get there if theres any left!

4.98/5  rDev +8.7%

S- Bomber bottle poured into a snifter
A- Poured this beer in thirds... First pour was Gin clear, 2nd pour was slightly hazy, and the final pour was quite hazy
S- WOW simply amazing! Nuff Said!
T- Super clean, super fresh and outstandingly refreshing!
M- Outstanding!
O- This beer is right there with the best of the best! Everyone likes to compare Pliny the Elder and Heady Topper but in my opinion this is better suited for the Pliny argument! These beers have more similarity. Double Sunshine gets the nod over Pliny in my opinion! Such an amazing beer! This beer is about as close to flawless as you can get! Looking forward to the Triple Sunshine!

Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids