Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Wants: 2,589
Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

3.21/5  rDev -31.4%

Thanks to Hopsbreath

Appearance- Hazy sunshine color with a small white head. 4.5/5

Smell- Little bit of an ammonia smell. Some pine and little bit of malt. 3.5/5

Taste - Pine hop flavor. Some floral, citrus, and ammonia. 3/5

Mouthfeel- A rare, thin DIPA. That is the way I like them though. 4/5

Overall- This started out rather well. Piney and a little citrus. After it warmed up a bit, however, it kinda gave off a weird, funky taste. Didn't really like it after that. Maybe it was just me though. 2.5/5

4.7/5  rDev +0.4%

My top 24 bestest beer buddy sent this to me! Thank BeerTruth, you handsome devil! LOVE Lawson’s and I’ve been excited to try this for quite some time. Drank from my Russian River tulip.

Appearance- Pours a light yellowish orange with a big beautiful one finger bright white head (even with a gentle pour). A beautiful cap and collar are maintained the entire beer along with tons of lacing.
Smell- Oh balls, they hit this out of the park. It’s got those super dank, almost raw, hoppy tones that I’ve only ever gotten from opening a vacuum pack sealed bag of hops and Surly Abrasive. Plenty of light lemony pine along with hints of peaches and pineapple. I get more of a citrusy fruit in the nose than anything else. Awesome stuff.
Taste- Not near as potent as the nose would suggest but absolutely delicious. Starts with a ton of orange peel and grapefruit. A touch of mango peeks in along with some grassy papaya. I do get a teeny tiny bit of burnt sugar in the finish but it’s fleeting. I get a fair amount of grassy earthiness that lingers into the finish.
Mouthfeel- My only real beef with the beer (all be it minor). It’s fairly light bodied but it’s got a great snap of crisp carbonation. Like I said, minor.
Drinkability- This is a great beer. Honestly, might be the best smelling beer I’ve ever had the pleasure of drinking. It’s crazy how insane the beer smells yet the taste is pretty tame and balanced in comparison. Between this and Heady Topper I’d say two of the best West Coast beers in America are made on the East Coast. Thanks Adam!

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Reviewed from notes:

apearance: copper orange, with a 1 finger off white head,

smell: citrus, grapefruit, tropical, hops, malts,

taste: tropical fruit salad, caramel, malts,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: outstanding IPA. so worth the search. hopefully the next bottle will be easier to land.

Cheers,
The CPJ

4.68/5  rDev 0%

A: Golden orange. Thin white lacing head on the border. Glows like a harvest moon with even translucence in clarity despite being murky.

S: Tropical: grapefruit, tangerine, melon, pine.

T: Tropical but with much more pine balance. Wowed initially. No alcohol to speak of. The flavors definitely narrow and blend together as this warms, which is overall more of a negative than a positive. This is however all about balance.

M: Very approachable and forgiving for being such a hoppy beer. Carbonation is PERFECT.

O: My first thought upon opening, smelling, and taking the first sip was "wow this is the perfect (d)ipa)" and better than any hill farmstead ones. As I drank through my 1/2, I began to think that it was only better than some and rivaled their best. Reminiscing, I can't say that this is better than Ephraim batch 2. But that was enjoyed straight out the tap. I'm not holding my breath for a better (d)ipa in a bottle.

4.09/5  rDev -12.6%

On tap at The Farmhouse Tap and Grille Burlington VT.
Pours a hazy golden orange color with a fluffy white head that sticks around for a while. Smells of pine, citrus, apricot, lemons, grapefruit, malt maybe. Taste is slightly bitter with lots of fruity citrusy hop goodness. Smooth resinous mouthfeel with a medium body and a moderate level of carbonation. This didn't look like much in the glass but was really nice going down. Too bad this is so frikin hard to find.

4.55/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber from the Warren Store. Didn't see a bottled on date but it was delivered and consumed yesterday so I can assume it was very fresh.

A- Looks like drinkable sunshine. Very light in color, hazy with a 1+ finger head and good lacing. It's beautiful.

S- Peach, lemon and mango along with other general tropical fruit. Super fruity and enjoyable. I love this style of DIPA.

T- Sweet, fruit juicy hops with not a whole lot of bitterness. More of what the nose has, but to a lesser degree.

M- Maybe the best part of this beer. Probably the smoothest DIPA I've had to date. It's perfect. Still a little enjoyable stickiness on the lips.

O- A really great DIPA, I wish I could have gotten more than one bottle of this when I was in VT. Is it as good as HT? Not in my opinion, but it's very different and it's definitely in the top tier among the tropical/citrus heavy DIPAs that I've tasted.

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

What the hell!!! Incredible example of this style. Blew my socks off. Nice head after a rigorous pour, beatiful golden/copper color with an incredibly dankish, extremely basil aroma. Hops are well balanced and I hungered for the beer afterwards. Can't wait to get my hands on another one of these! Do not miss this beer.

Pours a nice medium amber with a 1 finger head and decent lacing. A tropical hop bomb, with tons of pineapple/citrus flavor and aroma. Crystal malts take a back seat but lend a nice counterpoint to the hops. Mouthfeel is very smooth and drinkable for a beer like this. A must-try! My favorite DIPA to date.

4.75/5  rDev +1.5%

4.28/5  rDev -8.5%

Bottle 42 from batch 192; no idea what that means or how old it is.

Pours a hazy golden sunshine color with an inch or so of white foam that eventually settles to a thin cap and collar, leaving some nice spotty lace behind. Really gorgeously bright yellow, definitely get the Sunshine aspect they were going for here.

Aromas begin quite dank, with some lemon rind, blood orange juice, tropical fruits and a slight floral hops as well. A light pale sugary malt character emerges as it warms.

The tastes are dominated by blood orange, grapefruit, cirus rind, pineapple and a minimal sweet pale malt backbone. Alcohol is non-existent, but I wouldn't expect much from an 8% beer. Initially restrained in bitterness, although it mounts over the course of a glass.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, medium carbonation, smooth texture, dry finish and light residual resins. No alcohol warmth.

Overall this is just an all-around great beer. My first Lawson's beer and hopefully not my last. Really lots of citrus juice and rind flavor. I think this may be a couple or even several months old so he aromas may not have been as fresh as possible; still awesome, just not in the upper echelon of DIPAs. Lots of blood orange and tropical fruit flavors. Highly recommended and well worth seeking out if it can be obtained fresh.

4.3/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to deuane for sharing this one with thain709 and myself. I have wanted to try this one for a little while now, thanks for the chance buddy.

A - Pours murky golden orange with a nice one finger tall white head leaving light rings of lace down the glass. I got the last of the bottle so mine was a little murkier than the others.

S - Smells of pungent grapefruits, citric hops, fresh pine needles and a growing caramel sweetness. I would say that the nose is the best part of this beer.

T - Starts off with a nice citric hop punch quickly giving way to hints of pine resin, sweet caramel malt, fresh cut grass and some light citric fruit. The fruit and hops are fading quick but there is still plenty there to carry this one to the finish. Finish is pretty dry, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Smooth, hoppy feel leaving the pallet dry, as it should, long after the finish.

O - I am pretty sure this one was around two weeks old and it was pretty good. The taste was a bit of a letdown from the nose but it was still very easy to drink and it packs lots of flavor. Can't wait for my next run in with this one.

4.37/5  rDev -6.6%

A - Gold orange with a nice thick white head

S - Citrus hops are pretty strong. There is also a hint of pine hops. I also got a bit of pineapple.

T - First taste is the bitterness of the hops. This is followed by the citrus flavors, pineapple, tropical fruit. You then finish with a another round of bitterness.

M - Nicely carbonated, medium to light body.

O - A very solid beer. A bit more bitter hops compared to other DIPA (Pliny, hopslam, etc). I would love to try a super fresh one of these!

Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids