Double Sunshine IPA - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Double Sunshine IPADouble Sunshine IPA

Wants: 2,110
Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

(Beer added by: kingcrowing on 12-18-2010)
Gobzilla

4.43/5  rDev -5.3%

A: poured a golden orange in color with yellow highlights and a nice half finger of fluffy head that left plenty of lacing sticking to the glass.

S: definitely a lot of fruit in this aroma such as mangos, pineapple, citrusy lemon zest, good piney notes, with a good hoppy tones. It had some sweet sugary and maltiness coming out as well. very interesting nose.

T: lots of passion fruit in the flavor alongside fruits such as mongos, pineapple, a little peach, good pine earthy notes with a grassy hop character that had a mild hop bitter punch. I did however get some woody and slightly vanilla accents.

M: the brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a sweet, fruity, woody, hoppy mild sweet, and slightly bitter finish.

O: very good beer all around and was happy to see it and try at the alcazaba summer bottle share, good lookin out whoever brought it.

10-09-2012 22:11:39 | More by Gobzilla
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

4.54/5  rDev -3%

Had a glass of this at Blackback in Waterbury. From notes.

A - Poured cloudy orange with a ton of carbonation. One finger of off white head and good spotty lace with a film of retention.

S - Juicy. Holy hell. Juicy bright hops. Hops from all directions. Grapefruit and pineapple for sure.

T - Really nice hop profile. Bright. Mango, sweet fruit, resin, peach, and lovely floral notes. Beautiful.

M - Nice strong bitterness. Oily. Good carbonation, medium body.

O/D - A really nice DIPA. Really lovely with so much complexity and great flavours. Nice to sip and figure out while being easy to drink. Good stuff.

05-06-2013 03:02:13 | More by tbeckett
popery

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Review #1000. Woo.

Double Sunshine pours about medium orange. Darker than I expected. It's quite hazy, and that cloudiness makes the color seem a bit flat, rather than glowy. On the other hand, it has a truly excellent head. The foam is a bit rocky and bone white. Very good retention. A couple inches of bubbles stayed up for a long time, and there's lots of lacing. Bubbles are all over the walls of the glass.

The aroma is a superb tropic fruit salad of hoppiness. Pineapple and mango for days. There's also some bright tangerine, lemon and peach flavors in the mix and a touch of pine at the end. Best of all, the aroma is fresh and strong. Hops hit me right as the cap came off the bottle. Juicy as can be. There's probably a touch of pale malt in the background, but this is a hop party.

The taste is similarly loaded to the gills with tropical fruit hop flavors, though there's a bit more citrus to it. It tastes like pineapple-tangerine joy. It's sweet and bright, but the hops show a little muscle with some solid bitterness that courses through each sip. However, it's among the most flavorful bitter hop notes that I've come across, just a perfect level to keep the sweetness from running away. Mild honey-ish pale malt flavors hold up all of these wonderful hop flavors, and it stays appropriately out of the way. Finish is long and full of pineapple, pine and grapefruit hop flavors.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full, but the beer still seems pretty light. There's a very pleasant hop oiliness to the beer. Carbonation is pretty normal. Good stuff.

This is an absolutely wonderful beer. I've had a lot of DIPAs, and this one is way up near the top for me. The hop flavors are big, juicy and bright, and the tropical fruitiness is just great. I particularly like the flavor-packed taste, which doesn't scrimp too much on bitterness. The malt doesn't get in the way, and there are simply no real flaws to point out. Lawson's is an absolutely wonderful brewer, and I'm happy to have this beer mark a reviewing milestone for me.

04-14-2013 05:12:53 | More by popery
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.94/5  rDev -15.8%

Tapped at 3pm on 3/2/2013 at Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. Served in a standard pint. Pours a light, golden-orange hue with a dense, half-inch, cream-colored head embedded with tiny pinpricks. Nose is fairly subdued with some light citrusy notes only really coming forth. Taste reveals citrus, buttermilk and an earthy/herbal quality. Finish expresses a slight biscuity character. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a creamy texture and a slightly oily quality. An easy drinking IPA, but not what I would consider a DIPA per se (perhaps it's the cask conditioning). I was lead to believe that Double Sunshine was a juicy DIPA loaded with fruit; however, I don't get this here. I'll have to see how the presentation in the bottle compares with the cask.

03-05-2013 00:32:29 | More by Jwale73
aasher

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev -9.2%

This bottle was courtesy of the infamous Adam Jackson, purchased last weekend. Thanks Adam!

This beer pours a cloudy and bright tangerine orange in color with a two finger, bright white head. The nose is extremely fresh and full of pineapple and that trademark Smcoe aroma. Despite that, it's pretty fruit forward as far as the hops are concerned with a touch of pine. It's very aromatic. The flavors are dry and fruity, very fresh with loads of fresh hop presence. It drinks slightly bitter and slightly dry. The malt bill is lighter, helping drinkability. The alcohol isn't present either. Overall this is a really, really nice DIPA. I'm grateful I could try it, and so fresh.

05-26-2012 21:32:57 | More by aasher
whartontallboy

11-14-2011 17:39:17 | More by whartontallboy
Axnjxn

4.71/5  rDev +0.6%

bomber into a snifter.

light golden color with a majestic head. nose is super resiny but also very fruity. yes. taste is skunky...citrus..guava...resin. oh man. so complex and drinkable. what a flavor profile. medium body, medium carbonation.

overall world class and possibly the best dipa in the world. really.

01-26-2014 05:20:31 | More by Axnjxn
woosterbill

Kentucky

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Bomber courtesy of TheLostGringo, poured into a Gandhi-Bot tulip. Been pining after this one for quite some time.

A: Very slightly hazed pale amber body under an inch of fine off-white head. Standard retention, plenty of delicate lace. Attractive.

S: Much more subdued than I was expecting, but once I stick my nose down in the glass I get some nice ripe tangerine balanced against a keen minty herbal note. Lovely, but not the room-filling hoppiness I was hoping for.

T: My first sip more than makes up for any disappointment I felt from the nose, as this is a truly delicious brew. Richly juicy citrus hops are front and center, with orange, tangerine, grapefruit, and mango. Underneath the sweet hops is a layer of pleasantly bready malt, followed by clean herbal bitterness on the finish. Absolutely phenomenal.

M: Soft, well-carbonated medium body. Velvety.

O: Great. I think I'd still take Heady or S&S #5 over this, but it would be a tough decision. Worth the hype, and by far my favorite Lawson's IPA.

Cheers!

Kentucky

06-12-2014 19:25:00 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
rudzud

4.9/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at the pub near the alchemist cannery. Poured into an Allagash tulip.

A - Pours a hazy golden hue with a massive two finger creamy head that leaves huge side lacing and as nice creamy blanket.

S - Super fresh hops and bright sunshine on the nose. Assault!!!

T - Wow super hoppy and tasty with light malt sweetness. Great light pine and lots of tasty bitter grapefruits. Delicious.

M - nice and sharp/crisp with a delicious bitter citrus rind finish.

O - Overall I really really enjoyed this beer it is delicious. I want to drink this everyday all day.

11-12-2011 18:41:40 | More by rudzud
FosterJM

4.38/5  rDev -6.4%

1385th Review on BA
Bottle to HF Stem
22oz

Thanks to BA Tony32408 for this one

App- More of a dark orange with a good haze to it being unfiltered. A little murky and a little heavy looking. A small one finger white head with fast receding bubbles formed and left some good lace lines, not great but was nice.

Smell- When you open the cap you get little whiffs of the citrus inside the bottle. Nice aromatics with tropical notes coming forward early. A bit of pineapple, mango and tangering. A stronger pull leaves some of the impending creamy hops and pine flavors with a little bit of the thicker booze from the 8%

Taste- This was a very balanced large abv DIPA. The 8% is there but is very well layered in between what I am going to a a lush creamy hoppy flavor intermixed with a small smidgen of pine and resin flavors. For a large DIPA, not overly dry either. The creaminess brings the flavors together very nicely.

Mouth- This really was a very good beer on the palate. A bit of a thicker medium body with a creamy hoppy and fruity residual flavor. A good amount of bubbles but more of a thicker carbonation as well.

Drink- An outstanding DIPA from VT. Becoming a trend and I like it!! I am glad I live near alpine and have access to it, because I'd go broke trading for this guy all the time.

07-12-2012 15:25:09 | More by FosterJM
maximum12

4.28/5  rDev -8.5%

Thanks to baconsausage for my first taste of Lawson's. I've been digging these tiny breweries lately & more excited to try their stuff than most saltwater amphibians. Shared with my wife as the last beer on a quiet Friday night after an afternoon of ice fishing.

Bottle #17. Pour is quite the ray of sunshine in a glass; I also like Lawson's simple, cool label. Smell is juicy hops.

Juicy is the word on the bottle, & the word to describe Double Sunshine. This is the JuicyFruit of IPAs, I kind of expect pulp to be dripping down my chin. Huge floral, piney hops. There's earthiness in there too. Tongue-numbing bitterness lays about my tongue & mouth-skin. The only drawback is that dusty, dirty taste that sticks around in the aftertaste.

I don't know what hops were used to make this, & I suspect the freshness is showing, but this is pure hop-head territory. Not much in the way of depth, no subtlety, negative amounts of malts were clearly used in the recipe. That's the way an IPA should be made. Hop-forward. I like it. Excellent beer.

02-05-2011 04:57:11 | More by maximum12
mynie

Indiana

4.94/5  rDev +5.6%

This is the exact opposite of Heady. Do not drink this directly from the container. Good god, if you never listen to another word I say please pay attention now: do not drink this direct from the bottle. You will deprive yourself of the most heavenly IPA aroma any American brewer has ever before created.

Aside from the aroma, it's an excellent example of its style and one of the 20 or so best beers I've ever had.

04-03-2014 01:01:16 | More by mynie
EgadBananas

Louisiana

4.53/5  rDev -3.2%

I've had a few fantastic Lawson's IPAs, but this appears to be their coup de gras! Lets see...

Pours, well, sunny. Yellow, mild haze, bright orange tones, bright white finger of head, fairly lacy. The aroma is good, but not hugely pungent. Herbal hops mixed with a jarring bit of tropical fruits dominate. Taste though, is a tropical fruit laden punch in the mouth. Mango and pineapple, robust herbal notes orange and grapefruit, with a soft maltiness and medium bitterness. Solid upper medium feel with good carbonation lends a lighter, refreshing feel and a dangerous drinkability.

All in all, this IIPA is every bit worth the trouble to get...or no trouble all cuz miamilice is a beast and extra'd it. Thanks Matt!

03-12-2013 19:27:49 | More by EgadBananas
cpetrone84

3.95/5  rDev -15.6%

pour is light golden peach, faint haze, tight white head. The nose is of tropical fruit and faint herbal note. Taste of light doughy malt, strong tropical citrusy fruit, notes of peaches, herbal vegetal I'm the back with an assertive bitterness and moderate carbonation. The body is oily medium body, slick on the back of the tongue bordering a nice velvety finish.

04-10-2012 16:21:00 | More by cpetrone84
jophish17

Georgia

12-12-2013 01:51:01 | More by jophish17
Reagan1984

This review is dedicated to my bride. She hates long drives and agreed to make the PILGRIMAGE to Warren, VT to grab this bottle (and a few others!!) Thanks for making the drive! Cheers to you Melissa!

Well, this review started Friday night at the ACBF in Boston. For some strange coincidence the best beer of the night has appeared to me in the first several samples in 3 of the last 5 years. This year was no exception and I literally fell in love. Of course, I wanted to visit Lawson’s booth as I had heard wonderful things. As my second beer of the night I tried this Double Sunshine. The heavens opened even before I tasted it. The aroma is just unreal. Let’s just say three hours later Sean and all at the Lawson’s booth knew exactly who I was as I visited again & again.

Fear NOT, this review is NOT from a sample size. I am sitting with bottle # 17 (my favorite number) of batch 212. I got up Saturday and drove 400 miles round trip to pick up a few bottles after hearing that there was some more AND that Sean mentioned he’s done brewing this “for a while” Enjoying the bottle is just the same. Insane.

So this is a first for me. I have decided that this is my favorite beer I’ve ever tried. For me IT IS “the perfect 5” Seriously, what could be better about this beer other than having it fresh on tap in my basement at all times?

Pours with a fluffy off white head with decent retention. Lacing clings in thick clumps everywhere. The beer has a subtle unfiltered haze to it while being a golden amber color. Gorgeous looking beer.

The aroma, frankly is to die for. So fresh and thick with floral grapefruit peel scents. It’s almost like someone curled a grapefruit peel under your nose and released all the oils in the skin. Just below this also lies some fruitiness. The best.

Where do I start? The resinous citrus/tropical flavors just burst in your mouth. Have you seen the current Starburst commercials where they claim the juice explodes in your mouth? Well this is that in a beer sense. Your mouth waters as is splashes in your mouth with a huge burst of juicy tropical goodness. The malt profile is perfect. Light cracker goodness that provides just enough backbone to let the freshness and hops shine. It’s been said before and it’s never been more true than here. The English created the IPA... Americans perfected it. Question, can there be a wonderfully bitter aftertaste that is refreshing? The answer is YES.

Body is amazingly smooth and refreshing for a DPA registering in at 8% abv. I almost can’t believe it. This beer can do some damage before you know it. Th bright fresh mouth feel is so lively and refreshing. The only thing holding you back from quaffing it is that you will only have it on a limited basis..

Truth be told, 400 miles wasn’t too bad to grab several bottles. I would have driven a lot more, but my wife would have made me make that trip solo. I’ll do it again, I can assure you. I think I am so intrigued knowing that it’s life is so short. Certainly after a month, it starts to fade into oblivion. Of course, few of Sean’s IPA’s ever make it that long on this earth. These sure as hell won’t

I’ve often talked about how the journey for the perfect beer was as much fun as the destination. I still agree with that notion. But the end of the line was PERFECT.

Congrats. You have made MY perfect beer!

Edit - Posting my review moved this from "A" to "A+" I could NOT be more proud!!!!

06-05-2011 22:45:51 | More by Reagan1984

tectactoe

01-06-2014 15:21:09 | More by tectactoe
VelvetExtract

4.21/5  rDev -10%

A-Pours a lightly hazed golden orange. Head is exact. Off-white and dense but still tall. This beer retains its cap perfectly. This surely looks the part; especially with the lacing it leaves.

S-Nose is piney and blatantly hop-forward. Definitely stresses the abrasive pine and grass qualities more than the tropical/fruity aspects. Grains and cracker malt. Mild caramel. Floral hoppiness too.

T-Akin to the nose. Green grass and heaps of pine. Grains back up the coercive piney flavors. You get some moderate citrus and grapefruit. Florals kick in too. Finishes quite bitter and piney. Tastes great but could use a bit more complexity.

M-Medium body with moderate carbonation. Finish is dry and endlessly bitter. Resinous.

O/D-Overall, this did not live up to the hype. Nowhere near one of the best beers I have tried. It's clearly an above average Imperial IPA; but thats the ceiling for this beer. This is not in the same realm as others from the state of VT.

07-21-2012 23:27:36 | More by VelvetExtract