Maple Barrel Aged Fayston Maple Imperial Stout - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Maple Barrel Aged Fayston Maple Imperial StoutMaple Barrel Aged Fayston Maple Imperial Stout

Lawson's Finest Liquids visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: Rochefort10nh on 12-19-2010

A huge, rich, and strong stout brewed with a maple twist. Designed to keep you warm on sub-zero nights and for sipping with a fine meal or dessert.
3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

drank from a Cigar City snifter... A light black body with some brown. A medium tan head rises quickly, ok retention, not much lace... A hot nose of alcohol, maple, and molasses. Not bad... The taste is still a hot but totally tolerable because its pretty sweet. Lots of maple, which is good, some smoke and caramel too... This is pretty good, would enjoy this again in the future with some more age.

3.94/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

375ml wax capped bottle served in a taster. Brewed December 2012. Pours slightly darker than cola with a loose, mocha-colored head that dissipates into a swirl and a creamy band around the shoulders. Some lacing, but poor retention. Nose expresses dark malts, molasses, a roasty quality and perhaps a trace of vanilla. Taste consistent with nose; however, no real maple character comes out until the beer reaches room temperature, and at best, it is minimal. The flavor profile is more or less dominated by an ashy character. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a carbonation just shy of lively with some acidity present as well. Overall, a decent beer, but not worth the price point and virtually no maple character present. Not sure if I would invest in another bottle.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got me a nip. Thanks Tcassell1. You're a whore, though.

It's black. A touch of deep brown at the edge. The head rises quickly and holds well throughout. and is a light mocha with yellow accents. Lighter than most stouts this big.
Coffee is the dominant aroma that I'm picking up. Second fiddle to that is the maple which is much more subtle than I expected but that's a good thing in my opinion. This reminds me of a diner. Pancakes and coffee. I like it.

Tastes more like stout than it smells. The maple gives it some depth but I still am finding it a bit one dimensional. I feel like it needs just a tiny bit more of some type of caramel malt to provide another dynamic. The alcohol is very well hidden in this beer and I appreciate that. 12% can get out of hand without the proper know-how, and this beer displays this well. Just the right amount of booze. I just keep hoping for more layers as it warms and I'm not getting it. Very good but not a legend.

Feels near perfect. Right on the money with the viscosity and carbonation. Slightly tannic, and it plays well with the sticky-ness of it as it reaches temps of 60ish.

I had no issue whatsoever drinking most of my 6.3oz nip with a few sips to my fiance. I could drink three nips if I had them, and I think that over the course of a two hours I could drink a 750 of this. High marks for drinkablity in an Imperial stout of 12%.

EDIT: Just had a full 750 of this and marked it up in taste, as I found the 'layers' I was looking for. This really opens up a lot over an hour and I suggest to those who open a 187 nip of this that you allow it to sit more a full 20 minutes before your first sip.

Maple Barrel Aged Fayston Maple Imperial Stout from Lawson's Finest Liquids