Kiwi - Lawson's Finest Liquids

Vermont, United States

Beer added by: Pinknuggets on 12-16-2012

« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

22oz bottle purchased at Montpelier Farmers' Mkt 48hrs ago 12/15/12. Poured into HF stemware drank at various temps btw 54-61F.

A: Slightly hazy, golden honey, light orange, one finger head - toothy white head. Beautiful looking beer. Nice lacing as I drink

S: Not as punchy on the nose as I expected but probably because it's been in the bottle a bit (no date) - week or two? I've drank Alpine Nelson's over a few weeks from bottling and this seems like similar nose muting. Draft prob sniffing more aggressively. Honeydew melon, white grapes, herbal (more Jade influence here?), light grapefruit rind, white wine, some sweet malt presence. Warmer it gets the more grapefruit I smell.

T: Sweet honeydew melon, citrus and awesomely balanced (not too much!) maltiness slowly segues into grapefruit and white wine, which artfully morphs into an earthly and herbal bitterness. Just when you think that's it another bite of grapefruit on the finish. Not drying though. Well done!

M: Slick and luscious yet clean--nice carb. Lawson nails the mouthfeel yet again, but with the addition of that signature Nelson effect that I have a hard time describing. The one I also get in Kiwi Rising and to some degree with Alpine Nelson (in the latter case I think the rye mutes this a little). Damn close to perfect in my book. A little alcohol on the tongue, but barely. So drinkable it's crazy. Which this wasn't my last bottle.

O: If I had this on draft or a week earlier it might be in my top tier. Or maybe it's my lack of familiarity with Jade. Either way theres just a little something keeping it from totally flooring me like Double Sunshine did. Which is to say this beer is better than 99.9% of beers ever made! If you can get it drink as much as you can.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

22oz bottle purchased at the Lawson's farmer's market release on Saturday. Poured into Lawson's snifter. First tried on draft at Three Penny Taproom, but this review is live from the bottle.

A- Pours a golden brown, slightly grapefruit color with about a finger's worth of white frothy head that recedes decently fast. Nice consistent carbonation. Some light lacing.

S- Greeny hops, pine, grapefruit, a bit floral but a little bit more bready, some malts, nicely balanced but not as aromatic as I was hoping for.

T- Greeny hops, pine, grapefruit, tangerines, honey, some bready malts, nicely balanced, finishes slightly bitter. Nice balanced aftertaste of bready malts and greeny hops.

M- Medium bodied, nice carbonation, easy to drink.

O- This beer is very good for a DIPA, definitely one of the better ones I've had but I still prefer Hopzilla and Double Sunshine more. I could have used a little bit more hops and I actually prefer Kiwi Rising from Jack's Abby more, however I will admit this beer is a little bit more balanced. I definitely recommend checking this beer out, you will not be disappointed. I think I preferred it on draft at Three Penny better then the bottle though.

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

On tap at three penny taproom

A: golden honey color that is translucent but cloudy with a puffy white head

S:fresh floral hops you can smell some malt and fruitiness in there too

T: lots of straight up hop flavor not juicy or fruity but just straight hops with a little bit of a weird barnyard after taste but not always there

M smooth oily and very drinkable goes down very easy no alcohol at all

O: really solid dipa from Lawson's I like it a lot but I think hopzilla and double sunshine beat this one out if you can get your hands on it wort a try

« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »