Humidor Series India Pale Ale - Cigar City Brewing

to view more.
Ratings: 356 | Reviews: 41
Reviews by JackMcAwesome:
4.1/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

I had a moderately aggressive pour, and it produced a three finger head. The lacing so far, it very paramount. Although it says it's unfiltered, it's surprisingly clear. There are tiny floaties suspended in the brew. It's kind of beautiful, haha.

Smell: I didn't know what to make at first. I got the initial thought that it reminded me of an old wet box that I found in the attic. Then I started to pick things out. The cedar is what must be giving it the "old, wet box" smell. The rest is ground pepper. I feel like I'm dipping my nose in a bucket of pepper. Wouldn't mind having a third scent (at least for me to pick out) perhaps the hops or some of the malty goodness, but I'm just getting cedar and a whole lot of pepper.

Taste: That pepper is making it's presence known! It translates to taste better than smell, and even the cedar is way better translated as taste. Picking up on the bitterness of the hops, but again, the other two taste are very overpowering. I don't fault it for that here though, just because of the uniqueness. (More on that in a bit)

Feel: Medium bodied, high in carbonation, a bit slick.

Overall: The uniqueness of this beer is why it is given high marks from me. I'm not sure I'll have this but once a year or so, but it is something to definitely try. This is the first beer out of the 150 I've had where I've said "Wow, this is something different." I know they want to classify this as an IPA, but if they called this a chili beer, I'm pretty sure it would fool everyone. An awesome attempt at something new/bizarre, so high marks from me!

4.24/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From taste notes. Appearance: Hazy orange tinted amber under a persistent 2” dense, lacy foam cap. Smell: Vegetal, smoke, pepper, a little sweetness. Taste: Peppery and fruity with an underlying malt sweetness finishing with a bitter hop accent and lingering spice and malt flavors. Mouthfeel: Very creamy and smooth with a medium full body and fine, soft carbonation.

3.89/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Canned 3/something/14 hard to read on the bottom of the can, pours with a cloudy amber body two fingers worth of khaki head fine speckled lacing.

The aroma has a nice cedar kick to a base of a solid IPA canned by the folks who brings us Jai Alai IPA one of my favorite IPAs, so it has to be good. Throw in herbal citric hops in the smell and we have something special, complemented with vine ripened white wine grapes this beer smells great off the bat. Hints of plum and raisin add to the malt layers that I'm really appreciating.

Flavor has vinous, white wine grape notes, rich cedar earthiness, herbal hops through the whole sip with ample bitterness to equal out to a nice drinking beer. Big ripened raisin and white wine note goes down the palate with each sip, lingering bitter hops with hop proteins floating around in the glass.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied slick oily resinous beer in the can, from a big beer brewery like Cigar City it's nice to see a cedar aged IPA going to market in the can. Overall carbonation is smooth and mouthfeel is dead on something most beer drinker's who smoke cigars want to try.

Overall, I'm a fan since the first time I had a Jai Alai IPA, great beers great brewery enough said.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz. can poured into a Teku.

Appearance - Copper body. Nice white head. Medium collar. Pretty lacing inside the glass.

Smell - Pungent grapefruit. The cedar amplifies the grapefruit. Very woody. Eventually becomes all cedar.

Taste - Citrus hop. Sweet caramel malt. Grainy cracker malt. Then cedar overwhelms everything. Again, it amplifies the grapefruit. Bitter and very woody.

Mouthfeel - Excessively bitter from the wood. A little creamy. Well carbonated.

Overall - So there's a bucket of cedar in this. It overwhelms everything, but I like it. Really complements the hop flavor.

3.1/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Very clean copper color held a bright white head of quickly fleeting froth.

The scent so incredibly interesting. The hops come across as a pine bark or pine tree instead of the customary pine needle. This hoppiness is overpowered by a dominant tobacco leaf. There is a natural spiciness but it's hard to tell if it's an oregano, parsley or some other herb.

Not sure what up here has it tastes like Sunday morning after a night of cheap beer and bad cigars. Added to this is an earthy, organic and spicy oregano/herb.

The feel is dry, lightly astringent but easily drinkable and full.

I guess I appreciate the difference and effort but this is simply not my cup of beer.

3.22/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz. can. And by the way, that can is courtesy of the legendary woodychandler. Has a dark golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit of hops. Taste is somewhat hoppy, a touch of pine and malts, actually kind of mild for the style. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, while not a bad beer, there are much better IPA's, even by this brewery.

4.63/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Poured from dated can March 4th 2014, into a small Cigar City snifter.

Deep bronze colored orange body color with a thick foamy off white head pouring three fingers tall. Thick bubbled lacing, little retention on the head also, but a thick puck remains. There are interestingly enough some suspended floaties.

Holy wonderful bouquet nose, it is a sweet smelling cigar box. I am in love! A faint sweet caramel rounds some of the flavors out. Its a bit one dimensional but oh so impressive and perfect. Hints also towards sweet tea and green herbal mint and dried sage.

Palate delivers in spades. Sweet tolerable mix of sweet wood and caramel. Large spiced aromatics hinted on the nose, mint, sage, cedar and splintery wood. Good sharp hop finish and slightly oily and wet palate coating. Faint light dank properties with great wood aromas. Palate coats enough but lacks some malt depth but luckily isn't sugary sweet either. As it warms great tropical warmth and juices of orange and kumquats and mango roll out wonderfully.

This is one of the most impressive unique IPAs I have had in a long time. It may not be perfect but who cares. It's not for everybody either.

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a can dated 2/27/2014 into a 7venth Sun snifter. Clear burnt copper color with a moderate foamy head that lasts and laces well. Faint, sweet aroma with mild hops. Sweet and subdued taste at first with a bitter finish - slightly dry. Full, creamy mouthfeel with mid to high body. Overall a tasty beer that I enjoy for what it is. Would drink this again.

2.91/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Thanks possibly to rudzud who just left this extra for me, possibly as in I was warned at the weirdness.

Pours a light fizzy head that disappears pretty quickly, no lacing, hazy sediment laden full of sediment coppery orange color.

Nose is wtf, totally wtf! Even with rudz's warning I was not prepared for the weird awfulness of this! It has a mix of various weirdness, a weird like wooden cabinet, like an old dank cabinet with wood dust settled in it, and a cedar smoke as well, with a weird musty resinous aroma, a cheesy stale hop as well, very stale like aroma, with a peppery hop like aroma under all that, maybe a little spicy. It smells more like a brine and smoked wood like aroma than any beer I've ever had.

Taste, I'm a little afraid... well, a little better but still some weird wood flavors. Starts with a little pop of spicy hops, mild dank resin and pine, but not sure if the pine is hops or pine wood, fair bitterness at first which ramps the longer it goes. Again a cedar wood chip flavor cuts through it with a weird smoky flavor, smoked cedar chips and a mild wooden shelf again, like 100 year old wooden shelf. A mild coppery malt with hint of sweetness and a little syrupy like caramel. It also brings a mild tingle of alcohol and warmth. Finish is drier and a bit more tingly booze, quite bitter at this point with a spicy chewy hop profile, and more pine, as well as a light wooden shelf and smoked cedar chips.

Mouth is med bod, decent carb, mild warming tingly booze.

Overall I'm not even sure what I just had. I don't think it's a beer, is it a brine for some meat? With the pre smoked cedar chips already inside? Lots of bitterness to cut through but just so many not so great points, the nose especially. A total wtf beer!

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Cigar City is becoming a major CANtributor to The CANQuest (TM) and I am happy to have them. Granted, not everything that they have put into a CAN has been to my liking, but good on them for making the transition.

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "An unfiltered India Pale Ale brewed in the Cigar City of Tampa, Florida and aged on Spanish Cedar. Pairs well with spicy food and medium to robust cigars."; "Cedar Spirals provided by: The Barrel Mill Premium Barrels and Infusion Spirals".

A nice, loud Crack! presented a brimful craft CAN, but these guys must have been talking to my Old Lady, who was scandalized by the inverted Glug. It's beer, kids! It ain't gonna bruise, but I promised that I would use a gentle pour when so directed. I still managed to create a finger of dense, tawny head with good retention. Color was a floatie-filled light-copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose had a spicy, peppery cast, undoubtedly the result of the admixture of the hops and the wood spirals. Mouthfeel was medium, approaching fullness on the tongue. Unlike the Cascadian/Black IPA that I reviewed yesterday, nothing was getting in the way of the hops here. In fact, the cedar was making the hops more pronounced and providing a really enjoyable beer. Piney hops and cedar wood - I felt like I was drinking a forest! Not a bad sensation at all. It was almost enough to make me wish for a cigar, but I gave up smoking them almost a decade ago, when I developed adult-onset asthma. The finish was bone-dry, cool, not quite minty, but definitely peppery in the back of my throat. Phew! A worthy addition to The CANQuest (TM).

3.54/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle as an extra from a trade.

Poured properly into a CC Humidor Series tulip, a cloudy amber color with a firm cap of off-white head that retained nicely, lacing the glass. This smelled exactly like a humidor, honestly, tons of cedar, tobacco, bready malts. Not really what I usually look for in an IPA, but I have to say, if you're going to make a beer in a "Humidor Series," it doesn't get much more spot-on than this. Unfortunately it tasted a lot like a humidor too. haha Lots of cedar, dry tobacco, herbal hops, bready malts, with a touch of sugar sweetness, more cedar. I don't know, I mean, it's good, but I'm just not a big fan of cedar in my beer. Dry, bitter finish. Medium body, decent complexity, even if it's not totally my bag.

3.09/5  rDev -16.3%

Well for the type of beer this is I could see it getting high ratings. But for me it's just not my style. I could see this paired with a cigar and truly accenting the tobacco flavor. The cedar flavor is very recognizable and is very good if this is your thing...for me it's not. Its kinda like they took and IPA and smashed up a swisher sweet and threw it in, but in a good way. In the end CC hit the nail on the head for the style they created but the fact that I dont smoke cigars made this beer sub par for me. The crisp carbonation and slightly hoppy, bitter front end meshed with the cedar finish shows CC knows how to brew beer but the style is just not my cup of tea.

Bottom Line: Perfect for a cigar smoker.

4.14/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Golden amber with 1 finger of creamy head. Good clarity with tons of yeast suspended throughout.

Nose
Spicy, peppery, cedar, and Red Hots.

Taste
The peppery, spicy cedar is at the forefront followed by a smooth caramel maltiness and touches of toffee. Hops are mellowed and have a lemon meringue thing going on with slight orange cream. Perhaps a touch of mango. Notes of pine sap throughout.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, smooth, oily, sticky, and semi-dry.

Overall
Spicy and peppery yet smooth and refined.

3.79/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a orange color with some sediment. White soapy head sticks to the side expertly, but she's not gorgeous. It's like a hot chick with armpit hair, it's natural, but damn, you should have taken care of that.

In the smell, well it smells like a high quality cigar box. Honduran cigars and a muted citrus.

In the taste, citrus and cedar wood notes. Hoppy and crisp, a smack of fruit and some wood. Dries out in a finish of fruit, citrus and cedar. Pretty unique thing, closest resemblance is a dogfish head burton baton.

Medium bodied feel with a light to medium carbonation, but still spry. Overall, this is an interesting ipa, the cedar influences the beer greatly, and in a good way. Solid experimental ipa.

3.63/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a sediment laden amber color with a medium size head.
The aroma is mostly a muddled like earthiness with some hints of cedar and hops.
The taste features a nice dose of cedar at the beginning followed by some caramel type malts and ends with a long sharp bitterness deep into the aftertaste.
This beer was canned on Mar 3rd, so it is fresh but there is basically nothing in way of hops that I can notice.
I like cedar-- for decks. I found cooking with it is too pungent. I prefer oak planks for grilling. I feel it doesn't work that well here either.
I've had several cigar city products to date but would be hard pressed to say any of them are even close to the top shelf breweries.

3.46/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can

Pours a hazy coppery color with a pillowy white head that never fully dissipates.

Smells of caramel, fresh piney hops, and slight sour notes.

Tastes of caramel and strong piney hop resin.

Full body with softer carbonation on the tongue.

A decent enough IPA with some nice flavor and a bit of a funky aroma. Not bad but nothing special.

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours the same color as the amber-orange stripe on can with bubbly ivory head. It is unfiltered and the specks are suspended throughout so when you hold it up it looks like the stars in the Milky Way (way more than the few specks in DirtWolf).

S: Spanish cedar and wet hops.

T: There's an orange zing initially that is replaced with spicy, malty, and woodsy/musky notes. Undertones of pineapple. Spicy finish with piney aftertaste.

M: Adequate carbonation, the lacing is light. Light tingliness.

O: I wanted something different out of an IPA, so picked this up. I don't like the appearance of an unfiltered IPA, and the smell is uncharacteristic of the style; however, this is the intention. The taste is uniquely inspiring, and I like the notion of a smoked IPA (think rauchbier x IPA). If you need a malt forward IPA with a twist this might be it.

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Cigar City Brewing - Humidor Series India Pale Ale, poured into a DFH Spiegelau IPA glass.

Look - Pours a hazy caramel amber with an almost ruby tinge and a small foamy head that dissipates quickly. Splotchy lacing.

Smell - Tomato, salt, and pepper, like a soup haha. Woody and hoppy. I'm not used to these wood-aged IPAs so hard to tell if I like it from the aroma alone.

Taste - Cigar juice? Tobacco, herbal, not overly malty. Nice hop balance. the cedar taste at the end is a nice touch.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with high carbonation. Rests light cedar. Good drinkability.

Overall - This is a VERY niche beer. That being said, it delivers exactly what it says it does, and it does it quite well.

3.74/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can pour at the pre-FWIBF bottle share held at the Adelaide Inn in Paso Robles, CA.

Canned 3/2/14.

Pours a clear orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus fruit, citrus zest, and cedar aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet citrus zest and wood flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is tasty and easy to drink.

4.74/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- deep orange copper color, nice one finger head. Cloudy

S- the Spanish cedar really comes through, floral, tropical fruits, big mango and white grape.

T- follows the nose, very complex, not as bitter as I was expecting, but that isn't a bad thing. Big tropical fruits up front, the grape hits you first with the mango in the middle and finishes with the cedar.

M- very very smooth, low carbonation, medium body.

O- overall a very complex brew, a complete enjoyment to drink. Everything blends perfect together, this one didn't last long in the glass lol.

3.45/5  rDev -6.5%

A: Pours a copper color with a two finger head that dissipates slowly, sudsy lacing. Alive with lots of carbonation.
S: Light citrus with pine. Slight sweet smoke.
T: Very sweet hops, pineapple, floral, with a hint of smoke.
M: Medium body, dry and bitter.
O: Nothing spectacular, but worth a try for the smoke flavor.

2.92/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.75

Received as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear copper hue with a thin quarter inch head that faded to leave thin spotty lacing and some light clouds.

S - Aromas is rather vegetative. Tinges of onion, unfortunately, malt sweetness. Flashes of cedar. As it warms a sulfur aroma comes out, like boiled eggs. Ugh.

T - Taste is better than the nose. Onion is gone replaced by light pine and faint citrus. The cedar is pretty nice. The taste is pretty good, but the aroma is so horrible it detracts from it as one tries to take a sip.

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated for the ABV. Very drinkable.

O - So yah, after smelling it I was very, very afraid to drink this. Tastes pretty darn good but the nose is just so hideous that it ruins the drinking experience. Ugh.

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bought this premium ($11) fourpack to try while in Florida. Thought I had read somewhere that this series was good.

The can notes this was aged "on Spanish Cedar" spirals.

a: Clear amber with lots of carbonation bubbles and an inch and a half tall white head which receded to surface foam and fairly dense lacing.

s: Mild fruit.

t:Wow the Spanish Cedar is up front over a medium malt base followed by a good hop bite. Spanish cedar also in the aftertaste

m: Moderate with good body,.

o: The first can was amazing, tasted like the inside of a good premium cigar box smells. Different and wonderful (I always loved the Spanish Cedar aroma in wooden cigar boxes lined with it). However, two of the other three cans from the fourpack had far less Spanish Cedar flavor and a somewhat vinegary, though still tasty, tinge. The first one was out of this world good, the others clearly not so much,. Having the fourth one now and the Spanish Cedar is more evident in the aftertaste than initially. .I suspect the Spanish Cedar flavor is rather delicate and subject to altered effects on the palate. Still, a marvelous innovative effort which won me over bigtime.

2.52/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz Can

Canned:3/4/14

A big thanks goes to Mark for tossing me this can! Humidor IPA wears a tarnished copper suit. Floaties meander around the body like drunken idiots. A clean white head grows slowly, staying short, but still falling to a skimpy ring that leaves behind a few pinhead specks of lace.

I smoke cigars, I enjoy the smell of a humidor, but I don't like the smell of this IPA. The cedar is big upfront, which is nice, just not that great in something I am going to drink. The cedar is strange, and I'll even call it interesting, but what is off putting is the horror that comes next. A horrid aroma of rotten vegetables, vomit, and indistinct sweetness crushes the cedar and nearly turns my stomach. Who thought this was a good idea?

The flavor is less horrid but not by much. Big cedar coats the palate like glue while the veggies, less rotten than on the nose, runs down the throat. There's a very real garbage can quality to this beer. It's only saving grace is the huge cedar that's off putting but less off putting than the garbage cans and rotten produce.

Cedar leaves a big tannic coating along the tongue while it saps dry all the saliva. The body is medium in weight with a very lazy carbonation. The cedar is strong enough it lingers long after each drink, loooong.

I hope, for the sake of the human race as a whole, that this beer is never produced again. I can't imagine how Cigar City thought this was a good idea before releasing the finished product. The cedar is so invasive I'm afraid I'll be tasting it in the morning. The other aspects, well, they're bad. I hate you, Mark!

4.21/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours orange with one finger white head that recedes leaving good lacing. Aroma is huge bitter grapefruit notes with lots of sweet mango and a bit of pine. Really nice. Flavor is extremely dry and bitter. Flavor is nearly all pine with lingering citrus. The cedar really dried this thing up and it is almost as if I need a drink of water after each sip. Perhaps the most bitter pale I have had. Sweetens as it warms with grapefruit dominating along with the pine. Medium carbonation and mouthfeel. Neat beer.

to view more.