Humidor Series India Pale Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Humidor Series India Pale AleHumidor Series India Pale Ale

good

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: KVNBGRY on 11-23-2013)
Reviews by JackMcAwesome:
4.11/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

I had a moderately aggressive pour, and it produced a three finger head. The lacing so far, it very paramount. Although it says it's unfiltered, it's surprisingly clear. There are tiny floaties suspended in the brew. It's kind of beautiful, haha.

Smell: I didn't know what to make at first. I got the initial thought that it reminded me of an old wet box that I found in the attic. Then I started to pick things out. The cedar is what must be giving it the "old, wet box" smell. The rest is ground pepper. I feel like I'm dipping my nose in a bucket of pepper. Wouldn't mind having a third scent (at least for me to pick out) perhaps the hops or some of the malty goodness, but I'm just getting cedar and a whole lot of pepper.

Taste: That pepper is making it's presence known! It translates to taste better than smell, and even the cedar is way better translated as taste. Picking up on the bitterness of the hops, but again, the other two taste are very overpowering. I don't fault it for that here though, just because of the uniqueness. (More on that in a bit)

Feel: Medium bodied, high in carbonation, a bit slick.

Overall: The uniqueness of this beer is why it is given high marks from me. I'm not sure I'll have this but once a year or so, but it is something to definitely try. This is the first beer out of the 150 I've had where I've said "Wow, this is something different." I know they want to classify this as an IPA, but if they called this a chili beer, I'm pretty sure it would fool everyone. An awesome attempt at something new/bizarre, so high marks from me!

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

1.5/5  rDev -59.3%

3.86/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Canned 3/something/14 hard to read on the bottom of the can, pours with a cloudy amber body two fingers worth of khaki head fine speckled lacing.

The aroma has a nice cedar kick to a base of a solid IPA canned by the folks who brings us Jai Alai IPA one of my favorite IPAs, so it has to be good. Throw in herbal citric hops in the smell and we have something special, complemented with vine ripened white wine grapes this beer smells great off the bat. Hints of plum and raisin add to the malt layers that I'm really appreciating.

Flavor has vinous, white wine grape notes, rich cedar earthiness, herbal hops through the whole sip with ample bitterness to equal out to a nice drinking beer. Big ripened raisin and white wine note goes down the palate with each sip, lingering bitter hops with hop proteins floating around in the glass.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied slick oily resinous beer in the can, from a big beer brewery like Cigar City it's nice to see a cedar aged IPA going to market in the can. Overall carbonation is smooth and mouthfeel is dead on something most beer drinker's who smoke cigars want to try.

Overall, I'm a fan since the first time I had a Jai Alai IPA, great beers great brewery enough said.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz. can poured into a Teku.

Appearance - Copper body. Nice white head. Medium collar. Pretty lacing inside the glass.

Smell - Pungent grapefruit. The cedar amplifies the grapefruit. Very woody. Eventually becomes all cedar.

Taste - Citrus hop. Sweet caramel malt. Grainy cracker malt. Then cedar overwhelms everything. Again, it amplifies the grapefruit. Bitter and very woody.

Mouthfeel - Excessively bitter from the wood. A little creamy. Well carbonated.

Overall - So there's a bucket of cedar in this. It overwhelms everything, but I like it. Really complements the hop flavor.

Humidor Series India Pale Ale from Cigar City Brewing