Cigar City / Terrapin Southern Slice - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City / Terrapin Southern SliceCigar City / Terrapin Southern Slice

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Doppelbock |  10.00% ABV

Collaboration with Terrapin Brewing. Doppelbock brewed with 900lbs of Vanilla Beans and Pecans.

(Beer added by: GatorLCA on 12-20-2013)

mportnoy, Mar 07, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -42.5%

mmulebarn, Feb 02, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

vonnegut21, Jan 21, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

mogburn1317, Mar 28, 2014
2.51/5  rDev -35.8%

1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with somewhat appealing label art and Cigar City branded pry-off pressure cap acquired via a trade with Hopzilla (thanks again for reaching out, buddy!) and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I've really loved what few beers I've had from both Terrapin and Cigar City, and this sounds amazing. Reviewed as a doppelbock; I found a video of an interview with the brewmaster of Cigar City in which he claims the base beer is a doppelbock, and the label calls it a "Lager with Vanilla Beans & Pecans Added."

Served cold - at fridge temp. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of khaki colour. Good creaminess and thickness. Nice even consistency and soft complexion. Head retention is good for the high AV - about 4-5 minutes.

Body colour is a predictable solid opaque dark black; not quite a jet black, but certainly dark. Appears well carbonated. Clean; no yeast particles or hop sediment is visible.

Overall, it's looking pretty good for a doppelbock. I dig the head, and there's a unique sort of fizzy effect wherein the bubbles surface in the centre of the head, disturbing the khaki layer with the black body. I don't know if that's just a fluke effect or has something to do with this glassware, but I'm drawn to it. It's just a solid looking beer.

Sm: It's a unique aroma, but I'm not sure I really like it. It feels artificial and overly caramelized. Cream, off-putting vanillicin and vanilla bean, heavy doses of sugars, heavily caramelized pecan, pecan pie (but the pie notes aren't acetic, like in a sour), some kind of syrup, and dominant artificial pie filling. Maple, molasses, graham cracker. Burnt sugars. Very rich; this aroma lays it on thick. Praline and confectionery are very prominent.

It's a bit disgusting, actually. I find it to be extraordinarily off-putting.

No hop character, yeast character, or alcohol is detectable. I don't really even find much in terms of dark malts or traditional doppelbock notes.

T: The dark malt/chocolate malt/munich malt doppelbock base beer is overwhelmed by heavily artificial notes of praline, confectionery, graham cracker, toffee, heavily caramelized nuts (pecan, especially), maple syrup, molasses, and slight cream. Boy, this is a diabetic's nightmare. The overarching artificiality of the flavour profile spoils the beer for me. I'm rather put off. This is really disappointing. Too rich and sweet for a doppelbock. Malts should dominate, but instead we get all these fake notes mucking up the taste.

Below average depth and duration of flavour. High intensity of flavour (to its detriment).

Plenty of nuance and unique flavoring, but unfortunately the notes that make it stand out are also the notes that make it taste bad. It's not horribly complex, subtle, or intricate. I guess the build is cohesive, but by no means is this a gestalt brew.

I'm really not liking it.

Mf: Not as syrupy as it could be, but too thick and full-bodied for what it is. Smooth and wet. Creamy. Somewhat soft. Overcarbonated. This texture doesn't suit the flavour profile particularly well, but I'm not sure what mouthfeel could.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Dr: A fundamental failure of a doppelbock, but even discounting the style it's purportedly brewed in, it's still a poor beer. I'm hugely disappointed given the breweries involved, and I definitely wouldn't order this again. I don't even know that it's a success at evoking pecan pie - or any Southern pie at all. It'll be a chore to finish this bottle alone, and I say that as someone who managed to finish a bomber of Creme Brulee without much complaint. I couldn't have anticipated it'd be this underwhelming. I will say it hides its ABV nicely, but this is definitely a meal in a glass. It's a sipper not because of the alcohol, but because of how filling the beer is.

Regardless of my feelings about the beer, I'm sincerely very grateful to Hopzilla for checking off one of my wants. Thanks!

In fairness, this does get better as it comes to temperature, but it's still subpar.

Low C-

kojevergas, Apr 11, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Bottled on 12/03/2013 served in a stein.

Semitranslucid dark brown with red hues, i barely got a glance of it's tan head as it went away as quickly as it was poured.Huge malt and caramel profile, a bit too much, actually those 900lbs are starting to sound more like a heartattack. On the palate it's ight to medium bodied, crisp and sticky at the same time. Again, huge sweet notes probably from the vanilla, but to an extent where it's overdone. It just doesn't seem right, it doesn't feel balanced. Pecans or any nutty characteristic are hardly noticeable. Althought it was intended to be this way, this beer is hugely overdone to the point where instead of tasting like pecan pie the experience was closer to having a sweet malt juice. I consider myself to be a fan of doppelbocks given the fact that they are clean easy drinking beers, but this example went far from the simple beauty of the style.

Uanof, Apr 26, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

westcoastbeerlvr, May 24, 2014
2.83/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I am a little trepidatious going into this after reading some of the mixed reviews. Lets see what we have here.

Pours from the large format bottle into a large snifter. Emerges very dark, a not quite opaque dark chocolate color with milk chocolate highlights. Topped with a flimsy, toffee colored head that recedes quickly and leaves no lacing.

Aroma is really sweet. All I am smelling is caramel malts, dark fruits, alcohol, and toffee. I guess this smells like a doppelbock, since they are typically malt forward, but I don't get much pecans or pie or any other pastry aromas.

Super sweet flavor that is really malty and syrupy. Alcohol is present. Mouthfeel is okay, kind of chewy but finishes dry, which is an odd combo.

Definitely not my slice of pie. Sweet and boozy. I took a chance on this one and I fear I may not finish the bottle :( Not a fan of this one.

SaCkErZ9, Apr 26, 2014

GABrew, Jun 24, 2014

davidwhatshisnam, Jun 19, 2014

sblank, Jun 12, 2014

Pipelovejoy, Jun 09, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -22.5%

750ml bottle, shipped from Florida, served at 41 F in a pair of large snifters. If there's a bottle code, I couldn't find it.

Pours dark but slightly translucent, ruby, with almost no head. Little carbonation. Smell is alcohol, rotting fruit, pecan and vanilla.

Taste is sweet, cloying, lots of alcohol, vanilla, pecan.

Mouthfeel is slick. Overall, this beer is...not bad.

snaotheus, May 04, 2014
3.1/5  rDev -20.7%

I didn't really get any pecan in this. It's a tasty beer but nothing I'd seek out not that it matters as it was a once off collab. Tasted like a low ABV stout. I wish they would have made a stout instead as I enjoy those from both breweries. Maybe next time.

Brew_Bro, Mar 21, 2014

Fireslayer, Feb 18, 2014

AdamP, Mar 07, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Dark brown with clear amber highlights with a dark tan head. Lots of odd nutty notes with burnt sugar and buttered toast. Vanilla brown sugar and some toasty malt and a hint of smoke. Thick, heavy and moderately carbonated. Not bad, I see what they were going for and I like the idea but it doesn't quite come off the way I would like it too. The base beer just doesn't seem to be that good and as a result it makes the addition of vanilla and nuts taste artificial and leaves a fairly cloying experience.

nickfl, Feb 09, 2014