Hopped On The High Seas Dry - Hopped With: AHTANUM - Cigar City Brewing

Hopped On The High Seas Dry - Hopped With: AHTANUMHopped On The High Seas Dry - Hopped With: AHTANUM

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: cyrushire on 01-10-2014)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Jadjunk

Georgia

3.74/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

"A tropical IPA dry-hopped on the high seas with one of our favorite hops: Ahtanum". Brewed in the style of an American IPA and dry hopped with varying hop varietals. Available in 12 oz. can 6 packs and limited draft. I am reviewing this beer alongside two other varietals, Citra and Calypso (find my review on their respective profiles). Limited rotational release.

Poured from a 12 oz. can to a tulip glass. Served above 52º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a creamy frothed cream white head over a hazy peach-amber body with specked sediment. Retention is very good, lacing is spotty. 4

(Smell) Biscuit and cracker malts accented by a moderately bitter hop profile. Ahtanum generates a bouquet of lemony, grassy, peppery and earthy tea spice notes with undertones of pithy citrus rind and muted tropical fruit. The most off putting impression I get is the smell of bubble wand solution, but I won't let that stop me. Potency is moderate. Of the three variants, I find this one the most unique. 3.75

(Taste) The presence of the Ahtanum hop generates a light lemony and grassy character with a peppery and earthy blend of characters, finishing with an herbal tea blend. The malt profile is simple, clean and light with just a hint of body to balance. Bitterness is light to modest. It’s such a unique hop character and while it doesn’t blow me away, I am looking forward to seeing this used in more beers in the near future, as it has some real flavoring potential. Arguably superior to the Calypso in terms of flavor, although the Citra variety seems to win out on both. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, clean, mildly dry. Carbonation is soft, generating a mild airiness for a mellow mouthfeel. The carbonation is a bit too shy in this beer. Body is light-medium for the style, light/medium overall. Balance is slightly bitter over sweet. Alcohol presence is low and there are no off characters. 3.5

(Overall) A very unique lightly bitter hop with a lot of interesting mild-mannered flavor potential. The tea character comes out particularly strong and could play a fair role in mustier, herbaceous styles. I don’t see it ever becoming a leading hop in IPA use, but am excited about its potential in other endeavors. My second favorite of the three varietals, ahead of Calypso and behind Citra. 3.75

Cigar City Brewing's

T-34-85

05-03-2014 02:11:45 | More by T-34-85
woodychandler

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It's Easter Sunday and I am trying to reduce some of the backlog of CANQuest (TM) CANs that built up while awaiting picture approval, name correction, time, money, the bevy of bikini-clad beauties to depart the premises, the Russians to get the f**k out of the Crimean Peninsula ... Suffice it to say that things were getting away from me and I am CANmitted to getting back on an even keel.

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "A tropical IPA dry-hopped on the high seas with one of our favorite hops: Ahtanum"; "Caribbean-style ale".

A nice, loud Crack! presented a brimful craft CAN, but these guys must have been talking to my Old Lady, who was scandalized by the inverted Glug. It's beer, kids! It ain't gonna bruise, but I promised that I would use a gentle pour when so directed. I am a self-avowed hophead, but I CANfess to ignorance regarding this particular varietal. No pre-CANceived notions will come into play during this review. I still managed just better than a finger of dense, eggshell-white head with good retention from my pour. Color was a deep-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with floaties in evidence, but if it was okay for the Humidor IPA, it does not deserve to be dunned here. The unholy trio of Midas, Croesus and Mammon suddenly appeared, slavering for a taste. Nose smelled of tangerines, oranges, grapefruit, highly citrusy. Suddenly, the long-dormant hops monkey on my back awoke and began its incessant chatter! I reached into the nearby drawer, pulled out the rubber hose set aside for just this purpose, tied off, and hit a vein. The hops washed through my system like an old friend, unseen for far too long. I slowly put the CAN and the glass on the counter and sat back as the hops did their job. Being that it was also 4-20 Day, I dipped my J in the beer and sparked up. The mouthfeel was medium, but the intensity of the hops was like I had poured hydrofluoric acid on my tongue. It burnt away all of the old, weak, overused taste buds and then began to worm its way into all of the soft, exposed surfaces. One site suggests Ahtanum as an alternative to Cascade or Amarillo, but this was plenty for me. The finish was as dry as the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert and I was left gasping for air. Great stuff!

Serving type: can