2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial StoutMarshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,591 | Reviews: 456 | Show All Ratings:
falcon1

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout by Cigar City Brewing is an outstanding example of an Imperial Russian Stout. It is tremendously rich and creamy in taste - rather sweet on the tongue. The flavor is immense, but not over powering to the senses. It reminds me of Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream and people in Central Ohio will understand what I am talking about. One of the best Imperial Russian Stouts that I have had the pleasure of tasting recently.

11-14-2011 18:00:17 | More by falcon1
dayvinn87

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So, this is the stout that started my romance with stouts. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. When I ordered a glass (at 11$) I was hoping that the hype surrounding this beer would be true. As soon as I put the glass up to my face the chocolatey-espresso smell punched me in the nose. I tipped the glass up and the motor oil slowly slid into my mouth. The chocolate and espresso flavor was instant and the gulp did not leave me with any bitter or spicy taste. The feel was smooth and I knew I had found my favorite beer.

Excellent beer. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect score is because I want to remain optimistic that there is something better out there, even though I doubt there is.

Cheers

09-01-2013 01:26:01 | More by dayvinn87
GameFreac

Georgia

4.74/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Cousin got me a bottle a few months ago. Finally getting around to drinking it. Can't wait to finally try this.

Appearance: Pours the darkest color I've ever seen bar Ten Fidy. Huge pillowy brown head. Looks insane.

Smell: Smells of chocolate, cherries, alcohol, mocha, coffee, syrup, and dark malts.

Taste - Tastes absolutely amazing. Chocolate, dark fruits with predominantly a cherry flavor, coffee, dark malts, slight roast, syrupy sweetness, and more milk chocolate and a slight hop bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Thick mouthfeel. Barely any carbonation but it works. Leaves a cocoa powdery film in your mouth. Awesome.

Overall: One of the best beers I've ever had. In my top 5. So fucking delicious.

01-09-2013 02:32:03 | More by GameFreac
wyatt13

4.74/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on date of August 31, 2012, so about 9 months old. I actually bought this bottle from Letspour. Poured from a 750 ml bottle into my Cigar City snifter.

A - One of the most badass looking brews I have ever seen. Motor oil is honestly an understatement -- the viscosity of this beer is hard to describe, but it is extremely impressive. Even more, the darkest head I have ever seen pops up to cap off the beer. Nice alcohol legs, with nonexistant lacing.

S - Awesomely complex, with bitter chocolate, high-quality coffee (bordering on espresso), some nice hop bitterness, and a bit of vanilla to round things out.

T - Immediately pounds your palate with an immense bitterness, only to have this recede and the bitter chocolate, roasted malts and awesome espresso assault your taste buds. Each sip left an aftertaste of 5 minutes that imprinted itself on my memory.

M - Thick, thick, thick. Almost like a beer milkshake. Minimal carbonation, but that fits perfectly with the style, in my opinion. Layers upon layers of sweetness simply coat the mouth and lips. The most impressive mouthfeel I've ever had.

O - I was admittedly pretty excited to try this, but this even managed to exceed my expectations. Especially in terms of appearance and mouthfeel, I'm not sure that I can conceive of anything more ideal. Can't wait to open up my Hunahpu's now!

05-04-2013 02:31:12 | More by wyatt13
smakawhat

Maryland

4.73/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass at Smoke & Barrel in DC for the bottle share. Personal review #1500, woah it's been that many already? Off we go, much thanks to InfinityonTrial for bringing it.

It is a bit dark downstairs to truly see but the most impressive thing is a super dark mocha chocolate head that is created. Settles slowly with a whispy top, some speckled like lacing gets stuck in some of the legs, on a classic opaque walnut black body.

Nose hits with what seems like very solid roast coffee, with a mild chocolate sense. Good solid roast body, light bitterness and not burning my nostrils. Pretty solid, not earth shattering, but feels and sense quite decent.

On first sip I feel in love instantly. Wonderful dark rich bitter chocolate, with a creamy ganache like sense in the palate. Roasting warming coffee on the aftertaste. A real fascinating play on the bitter as well, there's this wonderful lime juice on the tongue of hop astringency while finishing. All miraculously melds together even after multiple sips, a warming roast quality of piping coffee, but no boozy character either.

Great beer, truly memorable.

10-16-2012 22:48:53 | More by smakawhat
jjayjaye

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pitch black; so dark the falling pour is opaque. A rich thick dark brown head fades fairly slowly leaving a nice amount of Belgian lacing behind. The aroma is rich and pungent highly roasted chocolate malt with a hint of dark fruit oily molasses alcohol. Lightly carbonated, the mouth feel is full bodied silky smooth and oily thick with an excellent coating viscosity that really complements the intense roasted malt and baker's chocolate flavors. A bitter element of the charcoal chocolate lingers nicely. A really excellent sipper.

02-09-2010 00:33:06 | More by jjayjaye
unionturf

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I received this from a friend in Fla and after 6 months I had to try it.

This beer pours pitch black with a very nice 1" head. Smells of a roast and cocoa flavor and it is a very smooth beer considering the style and ABV.

Very heavy which is cool, loved how when I was finished in the bottom of my Chimay glass there was a stout/cocoa looking powdery sediment in the bottom.

Excellent beer and a great first impression from Cigar CIty brewery. Can't wait to try the brown ale I have next.

06-23-2010 04:51:16 | More by unionturf
Bierlerner

Oklahoma

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wooowee! This is great stuff.

A- Pitch black! Dark dark brown 1 finger head. Nice mild layers of lacing as the drink goes down.

S- Roasted malts, espresso, lots of chocolate and herbs. Smells of chocolate and rosemary.

T- Wow! Nice roastiness. Chocolate, but not really that sweet. A great bitterness lingering in the background. And a mix of rosemary and thyme. Makes this taste like a full on meal. I love it.

M- THICK! Just how a stout should be. Full body, low carb, and thick. But not syrupy. Just perfect.

O- I think this is one of my top 10 fav stouts, for sure. Perfect balance of roast, chocolate, and a surprising herb presence that blends beautifully in this brew. Must get MORE!

08-17-2011 19:48:06 | More by Bierlerner
rfgetz

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep deep dark black color with a nice cap of creamy mocha head, settles into a long lasting collar. Scent is filled with fantastic dark malts, bitter baking chocolate, fudge, dark roasted and freshly brewed coffee, dark pitted fruits, faint notes of vanilla and coconut. Taste follows suit, deeply layered flavor with each note standing out at particular points in the drinking experience, but none being too powerful to cover anything else up. Full bodied, thick, and coating, entire glass was left with brown tint after drinking. An excellent beer that I may have enjoyed slightly more than the aged versions - blasphemous? maybe...

01-16-2012 14:37:25 | More by rfgetz
raznug

4.71/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Marshal Z pours thick and black and is topped with 1" of brown colored head
Smell: The aroma is a blend of roasted malt, alcohol, toffee and chocolate. The aroma is rather intense good but intense.
Taste: The flavors that erupt from the pint glass is just simply amazing; chocolate, roasted flavors, coffee and a nice amount of alcohol burn.
Mouthfeel: Thick and oily is a great way to describe the way that this beer feels going down.

03-16-2013 17:46:22 | More by raznug
hardy008

4.71/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 Vintage

Pours dark black, almost like motor oil, with a one finger mocha head, which fades to a thin round disc before vanishing, and leaves no lacing. The aroma has dark chocolate, black licorice, roasted malt, molasses, and espresso.

Tastes sweet with the perfect amount of bitterness. There is dark chocolate, roasted malt, espresso, molasses, cherries, dates, figs, and licorice, The dark malt and espresso do a nice job of balancing the sweetness from the other flavors. It's amazing that an 11.00 % abv beer has no alcohol taste. Very nicely made.

Full bodied with modest carbonation, and a chocolate with espresso aftertaste. Definitely a chewy beer. Definitely a world class Russian Imperial Stout.

03-12-2014 02:19:20 | More by hardy008
DmanGTR

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

My celebratory beer for the end of Anatomy course. Woohoo!

Poured into a Cigar City snifter at 45°F.

A faint hiss as I popped the cap. The rich, chocolatey smell immediate wafted and filled the room. Poured thick, viscous, and somewhat oil-like. No head to speak of, no bubbles, just a black heavy mass in the glass. No light passes through, save a tiny bit at the edge of the glass. Would be more impressive with a dense tan head, but the viscosity makes up for it I suppose... Anyway, the aroma is impressive. A nice blend of roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate (if you follow Lindt's chocolate, this is closer to the 80% cocoa bar), a faint tint of black currants, and a touch of black patent malt. This is an assertive stout, yet presents itself elegantly. The first sip reveals such complexity, yet reminds to to sit back, not worry about it and simply enjoy the beer. Sweet and fruity in the forefront, with the roastiness and cocoa character following closely. The finish is extended with much coffee and touches of vanilla, followed by a lightly astringent and almost charcoal-like texture. Alcohol warmth and dryness follows. Although no head is apparent, the beer is certainly carbonated, albeit very mild. I enjoy that texture with an intensely rich beer as such. A very nice sipper. I can see this working very well with many different desserts or with a chocolatey cigar. Even as a stand-alone dessert beer. Good job, Cigar City. This is a different beer than the last time I tried it and I'm glad I'm reviewing it this time.

10-13-2010 23:49:06 | More by DmanGTR
jmdrpi

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

Served on tap in a small snifter.

Appears jet black, with the darkest head i've ever seen, dark chocolate brown. Great lacing. Huge roasty aroma.

Taste is amazing, powerful flavors of espresso, dark cocoa, and molasses. But its not overwhelming. Thick and viscous.

Overall, the best I've had from Cigar City, and definitely a top tier Imperial Stout.

11-30-2011 03:26:53 | More by jmdrpi
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

2011 Vintage, but I still have 2010 in the cellar.

I'm splitting this with my wife tonight, but she's playing "Dance, Dance Revolution" and working on a Flying Dog "Kujo" right now, so I'm not sure how that's going to go.

I've been wanting to try this one forever!

Served in a snifter.

A: No other way to say it: This one is pitch black! Additionally, there was not light showing through and the head was ridiculously dark as well.

S: I got lots of Imperial Stout-esqe notes on the nose: Soy sauce, LOTS of dark chocolate, figs, and cigar ash. This was fairly bright overall in terms of RISs.

T: Wow! This was an amazing blend of figs, cocoa, and ash. On the palate, I got more dark fruit than anything else. On the finish, I actually got some very bright plum notes. Pretty amazing actually.

M: Creamy and delectable, with a sweet profile that was very calculated and perfect in every way. The lacing was sticky and the carbonation was low, yet perfect in this setting.

O: I guess this is the base beer for "Hunahpu's." It exceeded my expectations in much the same way that "Hunapuh's" did.

02-11-2012 00:07:30 | More by Chaney
BlurryVisi0n

4.69/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Pours thick and dark, completely opaque brown-black. You have heard it before and will hear it again pours like lovable motor oil base with a slightly over-sized head just over a finger's length a very very dark tan with a deep mahogany tint.

Smell: Strong alcohol with a nice burnt sugar scent and strong molasses. This beer doesnt smell it dispenses aroma.

Taste: Comes off with strong molasses, and heavy dark chocolate that feels blended with roasted coffee. It's bitter no doubt but offset with slight sweetness that comes off borderlin perfect.

Mouth: With sweet bitter chocolate, seriously a rarity that a stout like this quenches your thirst. Medium carbonation feels a little lighter than some but how sticky it is what makes this brew worth it.

Overall: This brew hit me the way in way that honestly I would be crazy to leave it alone on the shelf. And to think I already thought I had the best Russian Imperial Stout before this. Great beer, go spend a few bucks...Salud!

03-12-2013 07:13:00 | More by BlurryVisi0n
doopiedoopiedoo

Netherlands

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

It was just another Tuesdaynight at my crib when Jeffo brought two monster beers to share. You da man, Jeff!

A pour into my snifter scared the crap out of me. It's black, thick, mean. Is this dried blood? A nice one finger head leaving nice lacing on the side of the glass.

The dark roasted malts on the nose, the peaty and coffee scents have gotten me excited to taste this beer.

Flavors are BOOM, in your face. As promised by the nose peaty, coffee and dark roasted malts but also a nice hoppy and chocolate bitterness.

Motoroil for the mouth. It's thick and it's beautifull. It has perfect carbonation. It feels perfect for such a big stout.

Thanks Jeffo for what might be one of the best stouts ever. EVER!

and you know what's really cool? Jeffo also brought over a Barrel Aged Marshal Zhukov.

09-28-2011 11:23:48 | More by doopiedoopiedoo
jjanega08

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

New label but no other freshness dating on the bottle.

A= Pours a super thick pitch black color with a beautiful three finger head on it that seemed flat at first but just rose out of this thing. Amazing looking beer. The head is sooo black and thick. Very very impressive beer. I don't think this could look any better.

S= This smells like an Imperial stout should. Thick roast and tons of dark chocolate. Toffee and sweetness comes up from behind. Damn you Cigar City why must this be so good smelling. The odor is something I would just enjoy on a deep dark Minnesota winter night.

T= Every bit as good and powerful as I hoped. Tons of roast. Coffee and chocolate up front. Then the toffee sweetness comes up from behind and assaults. There is a bit of fruityness to it and maybe a bit of a hop character that I didn't expect. Dark fruit character comes through a bit in the finish which is just a cherry on top.

M= Amazingly thick and delicious. The biggest chewiest beer I've ever had.

O= I've had Hunahpu and it was mind blowing. I tell people that it is the best RIS I've ever had. This is just as amazing. A step down in complexity but still the best base beer a RIS could be and a hell of a beer. Super drinkable for such a big thick thing and amazingly smooth.

11-05-2011 03:49:44 | More by jjanega08
nlmartin

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

This beer was served in a Imperial Pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is simply black. No opaqueness to back light. The head is towering and has major retention. The head looks like dark chocolate hot cocoa. The lacing is thick and mark this beers very rapid departure from my glass. In short this beer is gorgeous gorgeosity!

S- Darkly roasted malt, coffee nearing Italian roast, lots of cocoa of the dark chocolate variety. Spicey leather, tobacco and suggestion of smoke lots of earthy tones. Pepperyness from the alcohol.

T- A commanding dark roasted flavors. A bit of anise, dark cocoa, dark fruits raisins and figs, earthy notes, tobacco, and a bit of warming alcohol. This only gets better as the beer warms up.

M- Full bodied with a low proper carbonation. Very viscous body. The beer has no alcohol in the mouth. Roasted flavors carry throughout the beer drinking.

O- Pure drinking pleasure for RIS fan. This would be a go to RIS if it was more widely available.

11-12-2011 14:54:59 | More by nlmartin
FATC1TY

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 750ml into a Snifter/Tulip. Fresh 2012 bottle.

A: A blacker than night color with a huge red hue'd mocha head that goes, and goes and goes. Insane cascading carbonation, with unreal lacing that sticks to the glass the ENTIRE time you drink it. Great thin line of head last to the last drop. Looks gorgeous in the glass.

S: Roasty, burnt wood. Vanilla, licorice, tar, chocolate... a bit of booze even.. Smells like a typical imperial stout. Not much else going on, but enough to make me want to drink it.

T: Winner, winner chicken dinner. The taste is everything here. Roasty malts, espresso out the ass end. It's a pleasant roast, not acrid, but nice and roasted and full body. Caramel, and toffee come into play, slight vanilla and sweet chocolate pop here and there. A Floral hop bit comes at the end and finished thick... enough to coat the palate, asking for more! A hint of alcohol comes in at the finish, but nothing to deter from the finish. It's sweet enough to drink more, and bitter enough to balance it out. Perfect.

M: Milshake. It's full bodied, plenty of roasty flavors coat your mouth. Perfect carbonation to help clean it up a bit and move it along. Slightly warm finish deep in the end of the sip. They really hit it perfect here.. Love the mouthfeel. Best of the best.

O: One of my favorites. I'm not close enough to get it easily, but not far enough it's not easy to get. A great stout that fills all the voids you want in a good stout. Balanced and tasty, great roasty flavor with enough sweetness to make you enjoy it. Top rated beer for a reason.. Glad I have more on hand!

10-06-2012 01:29:07 | More by FATC1TY
chanokokoro

4.68/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 2012 vintage 750 ml bottle into a Cigar City Brewing branded snifter

Pours a thick, viscous dark midnight black capped by by a dark brown one and half finger head. I'm always amazed by how Zhukov pours; this is one huge, thick RIS. Strong roasty malt, bakers chocolate, boozy alcohol, and dark fruit. One sip brings an explosion of flavor, charred dark chocolate malt, huge plum, prune, and black cherry notes, molasses which finishes with continued bold roasted malt, dark roast coffee/espresso, and warming alcohol. Ridiculously complex. The mouthfeel of this brew leaves nothing to be desired, huge and viscious, oily, velvety, creamy and silky. The most full-bodied brew that I've ever had and possibly the best mouthfeel of any brew I've had. As far as I'm concerned Marshal Zhukov is the one of the standards for Russian Imperial Stouts. Quite possibly the best brew I've ever had in the style.

04-26-2013 05:35:26 | More by chanokokoro
younger35

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Received this beer from both Gibby and tpd975, God bless 'em. Haven't had many brews from Cigar City but they've all been pretty top notch. Drank form my Darkness snifter.

Appearance- Easy the darkest brew that I've ever witnessed being poured from a bottle. No cap remains but a pretty thin collar remains along with no lacing.
Pours a dirty motor oil black with a super dark tan head that's so dark it's nearly red.
Smell- Nice and intense as the beer starts with a huge roasted profile that's as close to burnt and charred as you can get. Tons of bitter dark chocolate and raw slightly roasted cocoa nibs. French roast and a touch of vanilla are fairly prevalent before the substantial hoppiness kicks in. They are dank and earthy with a sort of spicy blast that I may have only smelled in an Imperial Stout before in Darkness '08 (not a tasty beer). The alcohol is fairly prevalent too and probably really adds to that spiciness.
Taste- Starts slightly bitter from the super roastiness of the malts. The coffee aspect is fairly large as is the chocolate. It's somewhere between milk chocolate and dark chocolate depending upon the drink I take. Plenty of molasses and cake batter with just a hint of caramel. The hops are fairly aggressive but not as crazy as the nose led me to believe. They are lightly citrusy and somewhat earthy with a fairly medicinal sort of herbal kick. The alcohol is pretty aggressive and warming but nothing that seems to interfere with the overall tastiness of the brew.
Mouthfeel- A fairly large body with a light zip of carbonation that really aids in a the semi creamy, numbing feel.
Drinkability- This is the first true IRS I've had in quite a while and it was very tasty. It's very intense and pretty over the top. I can't wait to see what happens to the other I have stowed away in a couple years. Nice little alcohol punch too, feelin' good. Thanks much guys!

12-05-2009 15:02:13 | More by younger35
Katahdin

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

The first thing one notices is the deep dark pitch of black it pours. Almost heavy in apperance like molasses, which interestingly it has strong hints of. Has a beautiful rich, creamy head. The body is complex with subtle hints of molasses, chocolate, chicory, coffee and even dried fruits. Goes donw nice and smootgh, no fighting needed. Almsot wish it was not an 11% beer because would really enjoy several glasses of it ona cold winter's night.

12-07-2009 20:20:27 | More by Katahdin
aepb1

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

A- Dark brown/ black with a little dark brown head

S- Strong coffee, come alcohol

T- Roasted coffee, dark, very smooth

M- full bodied, creamy and slick, not a lot of carbonation

D- Great RIS, goes down nice and easy and local, glad they're distributing bombers to me area now

09-10-2010 02:58:47 | More by aepb1
Zraly

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Sent to me by my soon-to be boss (how lucky am I?) -- Opaque black with a very faint espresso crema head. Smells of rich chocolate, earth and tobacco. Fabulous legs. Swirl this one and see this stout cling to your glass for dear life. Cigar City is chasing down the wine snob in me with this one!

Sticky sweet and perhaps the most intense, hardcore chocolate note I've come across yet in an imperial stout. The creamy smooth finish is divine. Notes of bittersweet chocolate, molasses, and cocoa. Extremely tasty.

Incredible. A monster. And would make a lovely dessert beer paired with your best dark chocolate and dried cherries.

04-16-2011 22:23:03 | More by Zraly
PorterLambic

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Arrives pitch black with a small, dense head the color of cocoa powder. Head dissipates to a thin film covering.
Smell is full of semisweet chocolate, malt, dark fruits, oak and wet cardboard. Very well balanced.
Taste is roasted malts, rum, dark chocolate, dark fruit. Lighter notes of oak and coffee. Very complex and well balanced.
Rich, very full-bodied. Extremely light effervescence. Thick almost to the point of being cloying but not quite getting there, thankfully. Smooth, this brew slides down your throat like liquid velvet. Unexpectedly, there was no warming from this 11% abv beer.

09-24-2011 01:09:47 | More by PorterLambic