Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008)

Dilan25, Oct 09, 2014
1.19/5  rDev -72.8%

I was really looking forward to trying the 2013 Zhukov. I opened the bottle and noticed a strange aroma, but when I poured it it looked delicious. I took another whiff and wow this smelled horrible. The taste was just as bad. I'm so disappointed but I hope I get to try this again.

Kramerwtmf, Aug 13, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -65.7%

Drbking, Mar 29, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -65.7%

brez8791, Jan 03, 2012

apurpura214, Aug 04, 2014

juliusseizure, Feb 19, 2012

DManGTR hooked me up with this bad boy. Thanks, man! 2010 bottling into imperial pint glass.

A- Thick, motor-oil, dark brown beer, slow-growing 1cm creamy thick oatmeal cookie head. Nice initial lace ring.

S- Semisweet chocolate and dark fruit. Chocolate is very light and sweet.

T- Big harsh roasted malt. Very bitter. Finish leaves a dark fruit sweetness that seems like it's trying to cover up some acrid/rotting fruit flavor. The lingering sweetness builds like cherry robitussin (it's not nearly as strong as cherry robitussin, it's just a similar flavor/mouthcoating feeling). Additional strange flavors creep in- cinnamon? peppercorn? what the heck?

M- Low carbonation, big heavy beer. Alcohol is noticeable. Actually, this one's pretty hot, even with some time on it. Lingering bitterness/astringency that I don't like.

O- Man, I hope the double barrel is better than the base. This one has some flavors that seem out of balance and rough around the edges. Did not finish the 750ml. I much enjoyed Bohr and Dirac, this one is not enjoyable, though.

Thanks again to DManGTR for the chance to try this.

How the hell is this beer rated so highly? Confusing to say the least.

ShogoKawada, May 18, 2011
2.33/5  rDev -46.7%

What an up and down experience this was....

Pours a motor oil black... Syrupy and thick... No head at all even when swirled... No carbonation present here at all... Uh oh....

Lovely thick aromas of blackstrap molasses, dark bitter chocolate, strong coffee and deep roasted malts... Awesome aromas to this one...

Lazy and flat tasting... Strange bitter almost sour taste present.... Not much in common with the aromas... Thick oily mouthfeel is great but I can't get by the taste of this one...

Drain poured this one... Maybe a bad bottle but as is, a big disappointment...

Tilley4, Oct 31, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -42.8%

THEOPTIMATOR88, May 16, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -42.1%

A: Pours inky black with no activity. Just a thin layer of foam on the top that very quickly dissipates to a reddish-brown ring.

S: Dominant aroma of blackstrap molasses, with some notes of vanilla, green pepper, and licorice.

T: I'm trying to pick out individual flavors, but it's just something of a muddy "dark" flavor. The biggest thing that stands out is that weird green pepper note. Cocoa powder in the aftertaste. As it warms, a bit more chocolate comes out, but there's also an acrid note that becomes more noticeable.

M: Quite astringent and drying. Virtually no carbonation. A bit cloying.

O: This beer doesn't really come together for me. It's big and bold, but in a muddled and indistinct way, and there's some peculiar notes that I find off-putting (green pepper?). Definitely not one of my top choices of the style.

kscaldef, Oct 01, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -41%

Was hooked up with this from a trade with Afksports. Thank you sir.

Poured straight from the bottle to tulip bulb glass.

Beer was inky jet black,and semi consistency of old motor oil. Very little head. A scant amount of carbonation. Plenty of lacing.

Smell. A hint of molasses. A more pungent smell of teriyaki and soy sauce gave me a full on punch in the nose.

Coats the tongue quite well. The lack of carbonation was a downfall in my opinion. I felt like I was left wanting a little more bite.

Taste. A touch of chocolate and tons of malt. Very rich,but unbalanced.

Overall,I was very unimpressed. Thick,malty,non carbonated liquid mess. Certainly glad I tried it,but I really can't recommend it. There are so many better options out there worth your dollar.

TheDudeRules, Dec 28, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -40.5%

I was not impressed with this beer after all the hype about these beers being so good I guess I expected more. Bitter flavors and over roasted grains and not really giving a good example of the style compared to other RIS's . I was trying to find some of the flavors described on the bottle and had a hard time pulling them out. I would love to try the Hunapaus when it comes out but at this point its going to half to be pretty damn good to win me back over. This one was average at best.

hrking, Dec 28, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -37.1%

I was really excited for this one. Poured a few ounces into a small snifter.

It looks like a big stout, but it had an interesting red hue to it in the light, and around the edges. No head, but not to be expected.

I got almost nothing in the smell. A hint of cocoa and roasted malt, but only a hint.

I love a good RIS, but this just didn't do it for me. Up front was cocoa, or almost a bakers chocolate taste that was very intense and not my favorite thing about this beer. Middle of the tongue was the roasted malts, which I thought tasted good, but on the back end it was a strange dark fruit taste that did not work for me. Maybe a plum? A date? Either way, this was not pleasant as it lingered until the next sip.

Mouthfeel was fine. I liked the soft texture. Reminded me of Brunch Weasel that way. I managed to finish the bottle, but I have to say drinkability is very low on this one. I will not be seeking this out again. The price is also something that will keep me away from trying this again.

For me, this was not what I expected, and in all the worst ways. There are so many six and four packs of this style that are more affordable than a single bottle of this and taste much better, in my opinion.

forcedlaughter, Sep 06, 2011

LaChupacabra, Feb 09, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -37.1%

This did not appeal to me. Wouldn't try again.

worussell3, Nov 12, 2014

Jparkanzky, Feb 22, 2012

MITCHELLMPLS, Jul 16, 2013

Potentially impressive beer, but unfortunately lacked any carbonation, non whatsoever. I have heard that carbonation may be an issue with this batch, and this bottle is indeed a victim. Purchased ~10/2010 from Broudy's Liquors in Jacksonville Beach, FL. This was a recently delivered batch in October 2010. I opened the 750ml bottle on 1/17/2011 which had been cellared at 68F for ~ 3 months, opened on time in January as suggested on the bottle. This is the first problem Cigar City beer I have ever drank over the past 2 years more than a couple dozen or so 750 bottles and kegged beers.

Dark brown/black in color with no head or carbonation.
Aromas of dark roasted malts, coffee, unsweetened cocoa.
Tastes as it smells, with some mildly sweet boozy abv, much less bitter than I have seen others noted.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, as thick as a beer can get. Poured like motor oil on a cold day, with no carbonation at all.

I hope to try this again with proper carbonation. Seems like an impressive big daddy stout when enjoyed as intended. I will standby for another taste.

unclejimbay, Jan 18, 2011

CityofBals, Jan 31, 2013

juanbon, Feb 14, 2013

mmcnaughton, Nov 19, 2011

TimH, May 19, 2012

zgunder, Nov 19, 2011

MCMASTERSANCHEZ, Oct 15, 2013
3.04/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from bottle into KBS snifter glass - bottle was 2012, drank in 2014. Pours like a RIS should - jet black, viscous and it instantly creates a thick foamy head, mocha in color.

Aroma is predominantly soy sauce, very salty and somewhat sour - hints of molasses and notes of chocolate and over-ripened dried fruit behind the soy. Taste is quite similar to the nose, not very enjoyable. It is drinkable but I expected much, much more.

Mouthfeel is great - its thick, syrupy and allows you to taste the full spectrum of flavors in the beer (quite unfortunately in this instance).

Overall - I would give this brew another shot fresh, but aged 2 years - I must say this is quite the disappointment.

HoppySeb, May 26, 2014