Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008

Reviews: 521 | Hads: 2,480
3.67/5  rDev -14.3%

Tried this one at a tasting and thought it was a decent beer. Let's do an official review for my, iced-in in Georgia saga this week. 750ml...

A: Well, sheesh, after a very rigorous pour of this black and thick as motor oil liquid, I get absolutely no head whatsoever! Ok.

S: I get some black licorice and booze upfront immediately. quickly followed by cocoa and vanilla blended with molasses in the middle and some stick honey and sugary malts on the back. Decent.

T: Very sweet upfront almost like an iced tea at first which is quickly buried by a bitter roastiness. Some black licorice and cocoa in the middle with some nice caramel malt hidden on the back. This is a very sticky and thick brew. Good.

M: Huge and heavy! Very stick with a great carbonation. A bit of a cloying bitter finish. Decent.

D: A little harder to go down because it's so thick and heavy with an accent on the booze. Decent.

All in all, this seems like my first middle of the road brew from CC. Everything I've had from them has either been great or a letdown. This one is just decent. Most I've had were great from them. This one is good if you like roasty, huge, heavy, and thick stouts. I do like these types of stouts, but this one does not seem to pull it off as well as some others. Need to crack another Hunahpu soon. That's a stout thick like this, but well, VERY WELL, done.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Dark brown/black opaque, color of old engine oil.
Thin med brown head, very fine, small bubbles.
Nice persistant lace on the inside of a snifter.

Aroma is alchohol with some hop. Slight notes of dark fruit.

Taste is upfront hop bitterness with chocolate coming through also.
Bittnerness lingers a little too long into the finish.

Body is med full to full. Some creaminess, but overshadowed by bitterness/astringency.

Good beer for end of night. Well constructed, but a little much on hop bitterness. Would not drink whole 22oz bottle in one sitting.
This will improve with aging as the flavors meld.

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed at Capones with Stephy and Speedway Jim.

Appearance: jet black with no head

Smell: Sweet over roasted coffee.

Taste: Opens with dark roasted coffee as a sweet raisin emerges in the middle -end as simcoe /piney hops become more apparent in the middle as the brew warms leaving a piney and malty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth and coarse at times with minimal carbonation

Drinkability: I would have this again but on another day. I recommend this to someone who wants a coffee open as malts and piney hops finish the brew.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottle shared by either mfielden or nick3 at a recent Cigar City tasting - can't remember exactly who provided this one as there were a ton of Cigar City beers.

Pours completely pitch black, and it's even more black in the glass. A thick finger of dark brown head forms and retains very well. Cigar City know how to make an impressive-looking imperial stout, I'll give them that.

The aroma is tar-like, intensely roasty, ashy, burnt. Unsweetened chocolate and anise come to mind. Blackened, burnt. This borders on being horribly acrid, but it manages to remain somewhat pleasant; it really is right on that fine line though.

The taste is, unsurprisingly, massively roasty and charred, with quite a bit of tartness and acidity from the enormous amount of dark malt. Cherries, burnt bread, tar, charcoal. This is intense, but it's surprisingly tasty. While it's not something I'd care to drink often or in quantities larger than 3 ounces, it's a pretty decent little beer. Condolences to Overlord for drinking an entire bottle solo.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

750 ml bottle, vintage 2011. Split between myself and three other friends, poured into four tulip glasses. After having Hunahpu's I was hoping it didn't ruin Zhukov's for me.

A: Thick and sludgy looking black pour. Medium brown colored head with really outstanding retention and lacing. It's thick, dark and really a great looking beer. The signature Russian Imperial Stout look from CC I'm gathering.

S: Very bold and roasted notes coming off; coffee, chocolate, toasted malts and bitter toffee. A touch of molasses comes through towards the back end of the aroma. It's very nice and although it has a wide variety of miniscule notes in it, the roast profile seems to be leading this down a one-dimensional path.

T: My initial reaction was that this is sweet, and it is. Big chocolate roast, bitter coffee and molasses notes hit first. Coming in towards mid-palate is a touch of anise, with roasted malts in the finish. The sweetness though lasts the entire time and after a while this beer got to be too much for me. I love big RIS but this is missing a serious balance.

M: Creamy, fairly thick, full-bodied with some lower carbonation. There's nothing wrong here other than it finishes a bit more dry than I like, even with its sweet characteristics.

Perhaps I was jaded by the outstanding complexity in the Hunahpu's but this just didn't live up to my expectations. It was a nice sipper with the right elements, but it was a bit too sweet and unbalanced. Perhaps some time in the bottle will do this beer justice but as it stands now, I'm not the biggest fan.

Vintage 2011

Wow, I don't understand how anybody can finish a bottle of this on their own. The beer pours obviously thicker than most worts, and creates a lovely dark, dark brown head that takes on a ruddy and maroon hue. The beer is black as night, and coats the glass almost as much as a Triple Bock.

Nose is dark, roasty, oaty, molasses, brown sugar, prunes and some more molasses. The flavor delivers in the same lane of experience, toss in some hints of burnt coffee and raisin.

The most overwhelming aspect of this beer is the mouthfeel. I've yet to experience anything thicker than this beer. It feels twice as dense as it looks, and rips the moisture from my mouth. It is brutally assertive in it's osmotic draw from my oral cavity.

I can't decide if this is a good beer, or simply a beer worth trying. It is certainly a beer with complexity and intrigue, but is it worth seeking? I dunno, I can't see myself wanting another bottle of this. There were two of us (thanks to pixieskid for sharing this one) and I had most of the bottle, and the last sips seemed like a chore. IMO, that should never be the case. I can say, however, that the beer tasted good, and looked lovely. The mouthfeel is sooo polarizing for me that I wonder if I would appreciate it again.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

August 2009 750 ml bottle. Heeded the bottles advice to not open until January or February. Gave a bit more time even.

A: Well if that isn't the darkest head I've ever seen. The beer itself is black as night of course. Head is actually retaining a bit here. Sort of angled up against the edge of the glass with the middle dissipating. Can't get over how dark the head is itself.

S: When the bottle cracked open I immediately was hit with a tobacco, earthy herb type aroma. Almost smelled like a cigar laced with a bouquet garni. The beer in the glass smells very, very roasty. Has a burnt toast aroma with a good heap of charred wood as well. Some vanilla and bourbon are there as well. Alcohol seems to hide behind the burnt aroma. Just seems as if the malts have hit the limit on their toasting. There is a slight floral hop smell as well, but in the forefront are the malts for sure.

T: Burnt wood on the palate as well, makes me wonder what is lending this flavor to the beer. Tastes oak aged, although it's not. Has a bitter chocolate flavor that accentuates the burnt flavor. Hops begin to lend a helping hand with the bitterness of this beer. Very earthy, herbaceous hop flavor. I almost expect more sweetness, but this is a nice flavor profile. There are notes of whiskey, vanilla, wood, herbs, tobacco and some nearly burnt molasses. Black strap I believe it's called.

M: Feels very heavy sitting on the tongue, nice and syrupy. Carbonation is also more present than most RIS's. Just a very different experience and take on a RIS.

D: Tough to take larger sips of this beer. Some of the flavor can be overwhelming if taken in high doses. Just a bit too burnt and bitter for a RIS in my eyes.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

Reviewed on 1/16/2010. Bottle. Pours a viscous black with a small dark tan-reddish head. Aroma of alcohol, dark chocolate, roasted malt. Flavor of tons of roasted malt and some bitter chocolate in the finish. Rich and decadent. The 11% makes itself well-known but overall, this was quite a tasty beer!

3.74/5  rDev -12.6%

Thanks again to Bhalter8 for hooking this one up. Out of the bottle and into the glass it pours like used motor oil, thick viscous and black as night. The head is almost two fingers of burnt chocolate looking foam. This is a dark beer. The nose is roasted malts, nuts? and booze. The taste is sweet, malty sugary goodness. Light chocolate and toffee, pretty dry in the finish with a hint of coffee. Full body. Very rich and very thick. Maybe too rich to finish a whole 750ml bottle alone. This one is a beast fresh, but it seems like it could stand the test of time with the best of them.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2013 bottle- this was pretty bad, I'm wondering if the guy I got it from didn't cellar it properly.... Either way, I wish it had been drank fresher, this was a waste.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Picked up a couple bottles of MZ 2014 and decided to drink one now and cellar the other bottle. I had high expectations for this RIS being a big fan of Cigar City but was underwhelmed. Although it has a nice jet black color and layer of tannish foam the aroma did not appeal to me. Smells very boozy and I pick up some notes of licorice and tobacco but they are overpowered by the boozy smell. The taste again was very boozy which didn't allow me to fully appreciate the chocolate, tobacco and licorice flavors. I also found the bitterness to be too much (I like hoppy beers so it's not that I don't like a bitter beer in general). Again, it overpowers the other flavors and doesn't do much for the balance. I'm going to cellar my second bottle for a year or two and maybe all the flavors will come together and offer a completely different/better beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

750ml bottle shared with KRAMER17801 and brewslut on 4/9/10.

A - Poured a black, oily mass with a minimal burnt tan head that eventually vanished completely.

S - Interesting blend of tobacco, leather, smoked jerky, leafy and peppery hop notes, licorice and molasses, which all combines to give this RIS an utterly complex nose, despite the absence of apparent chocolate or coffee notes.

T - Leathery initial flavor with a slight burnt, smoked meat flavor. There is a slight chocolate and coffee presence, but both are overshadowed by thick molasses and bitter licorice notes. Segues into quite a hoppy experience in the backend with leafy, earthy notes, tobacco and more bitter licorice attributes.

M - Full bodied and slick with a fair amount of carbonation. Finishes with a lingering leafy, chingy hop bitterness on the palate.

D - Marshal Zhukov is definitely one intensely bold RIS with complex flavors and aromas. While this wasn't one of my favorite Cigar City releases, I still appreciate the deviation from the typical chocolate and coffee-infused stouts out there.

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Big and luscious. Soy Souce BOMB. Big fudge and roasty malts up front, but harsh and overly soy souced on the finish. Not appealing to keep sipping after each sip. My bottle was 3 months old. I'll give credit where it's due. My favorite Imperial Stouts are ones that have 2-3 years age on them (The Abyss & Stone IRS) and I don't like them at all when fresh. I'll be honest here, Marshal has everything I look for in a RIS when it comes to aging. I'll bet if this one had 2-3 years on it, I'd be singing a totally different tune & giving a much better score. Until that happens, the above score is where I stand.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Notes from Saturday – 07/07/12
750ml bottle split two ways into my FW Invitational snifters
(*label is different then the one portrayed above)

Thanks Allen!

A: Pours plenty thick and jet black in color with just the slightest edge of dark mahogany brown. Minimal head that is reddish-brown, nearing maroon, in color. Probably the darkest head I have ever seen on a stout. Very espresso like. Struggling retention and some oily alcohol streak.

S: Smells of very deep roast grain with a nice mix of tobacco leaf, soy sauce, and blackstrap molasses. There are also some hints of licorice root and dark chocolates. Interesting nose. Not bad but the soy aroma is a bit profuse. Not much alcohol evident in the nose either for such a big RIS.

T: Tastes of intense roasted grains with a bit of fudge brownie and a pervasive treacle note to the point that I feel it may have been an actual ingredient used here. Gives off a sweet and tart fermented soy flavor that takes a little getting used to. There are some lesser notes of campfire mallows, black licorice, and a bit of espresso-infused truffle that perks as the beer warms up a bit. Upper level of bitterness with a dose of earthy hop flavors. The alcohol is warming but quite well hidden here. Quite rich and unique. Probably not for everyone.

M: Body is full with a super smooth and creamy texture that lends to a much lighter feel. Really one of the highlights in the overall drinking experience. Carb seems on the lower side. Some nice lingering after coat on the palate.

D: To be opened with friends. A big, rich, and complex RIS with some real unique flavors. Although this one would be difficult to finish all 750ml alone. My tasting partner was not a fan given the soy sauce like accents. The brew develops a bit more of the espresso notes towards room temp which I found nice. All things considered, really well crafted with the 11% alcohol hidden.

Very glad for the opportunity to try this one.

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured into a Brooklyn Brewery tulip on 4/25/11.

Pours a black oil color with no head. When swirled there is a nice brown resin that coats the glass nicely. I would like to see some head, any head at all. Nice color but disappointed with the pour.

Smells of roasted malts, sweet chocolate and the slightest of coffee in the background. I would have liked some more chocolate and coffee on this aroma. Strikes me as slightly above average but not great.

Taste is lots of roasted malts and sweet chocolate to start. Chocolate bitterness is also present as well as some distinct fruit flavors in the background. Good taste.

Mouthfeel is what really knocks this bee. No carbonation makes it just feel heavy and milky. Resin sticks nicely but leaving good bitter chocolate and coffee flavors but this really misses the mouthfeel mark and I think that really takes away from all the other aspects of this brew. To bad.

Overall this is a decent beer. The zero carb really throws the taste/mouthfeel characteristic off and while it is good it falls into a region of one and done for me. FIx the no head carbonation mouthfeel problem and this would be an "A" brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I bought this bottle at the brewery. I'm drinking one now and will try and pick up another one to age.

It's super-black with a deep brown head.

The smell is of roasted malt with hints of molasses and alcohol.

This is a rich RIS, but it's not cloying. Flavors mix to make a typical complex taste.

The body is wonderfully slick.

Overall this is a fine RIS and another good beer from Cigar City. It's a seasonal release, so get one while you can.

3.77/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A bomber poured into 2 Cigar City snifters.

a: Black body. Thick like oil. One finger head. Brown like leather.

s: Roasted malt, molasses, baker's chocolate, faint coffee.

t: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, smoked molasses, espresso and hop spice finish.

mf: Full chewy body. Heavy with low carbonation.

o: All is OK when this beer warms. The raw ground espresso roast after taste is a bit much.

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

2010 bottle drank at Big Bad Stout Tasting out of a snifter.

Pours a Jet black with hints of red around the edges of beer. No head whatsoever remind me of coffee with no bubbles. Smeels of slight tobacco and roasted malts nothing else really going on. I did like the slitty smoky taste and roosted malts with a bit of a coffee finish. I did like the fact Zuhkov was very thick, rich and creamy. Definitely a sipper for me. I preferred this RIS then his offspring Hunaphu's.

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%

750mL champagne style bomber poured into a tulip

Thanks to Jebus3513

Holy thickness. This pours like ink black motor oil. A thick dark brown head with purple hues rises to fill the glass beautifully. I can't get over how dark the color of the head is. Oily brown coating on the glass when swirled.

Intense aroma of espresso, black licorice, dark chocolate, oak, sweet sticky toffee and blackstrap molasses. I wasn't expecting this to be so sweet on the nose.

Even more intense flavors going on here. It's taking me a few sips to really wrap my head around it and give my palate a chance to acclimate.

Molasses and licorice are heavy, while sticky toffe, dark syrupy chocolate and espresso all come in equal waves. Overall, a sweet flavor profile. The roast is low. Very imbalanced and a little tough for me to handle.

Thick, full, rich body with minimal carbonation. Very smooth and luxurious. Awesome mouthfeel for such an intense stout.

This has some really good elements, but the molassess sweetness didn't resonate too well with me. A very good beer, I can appreciate that, but not one of my favorites in the style.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

chocolate head. dark brown/black body. long retention. syrupy in texture.

wow the smell is amazing. everything you could want in a porter/stout. chocolate, roasted coffee, nice dark fruit.

thick syrupy texture. quite sweet. incredible chocolate coffee toffee notes. a little too sweet. some bitterness in the finish, but not enough to balance the sweetness. almost like a dessert beer. way too sugary.

below average carbonation. for an IRS the texture is AMAZING. incredible. almost chewy. like a runny slightly watered down chocolate syrup.

not my favorite. just a little sweet for me. i wouldnt want to drink anything more than a 2 oz pour of this. -_- not sure what to do with this whole bottle now.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

2009 bottle from a trade with mullenite a long long time ago...

A: Pours a dark viscous black with a large dark tan head

S: Smell of burnt malt , ash, cocoa, coffee

T: Bitter cocoa, dark fruit / unripened purple plums and a cloying ashy finish. Some milk chocolate and vanilla mid body taste, along with caramelized sugars and a slight candy sugar presence / cherry. I seem to sense this flavor of belgian candy sugar in many beers but in this one it is really just the from sugars caramelizing. A bit of sweetness is present, not a ton.

M: Medium to thicker body and a medium carbonation.

This was from a trade a while back and I have since turned down purchasing additional bottles that were available. Overall I think I made the right choice. This is good, not great and I am especially partial to having an overly roasted ashy finish and flavor in my stouts.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

Gotta give the Marshal another try. Last bottle was 100% flat. 2011-2012 winter version.

A- Pitch black doom into a pint glass with an extremely dark head. Cap is silky like whipped cream and retains very well. Big patches of lace all down the glass.

S- Chocolate drizzled raisins lead the way for me. Also big molasses and roast malts. Seems fairly straightforward.

T- Massive flavor of chocolate and cherries like a really sticky, fudge browny. Big notes of molasses syrup, coffee beans, caramel, and roast cracked grains. Seriously like a dessert in liquid form. Lots of sweetness.

MF- One of the thickest and biggest beers I have ever imbibed. Lower end carbonation does great justice compared to a horrifying flat version. Some alcohol heat and bitterness.

This beer is a BEAST, very thick and like a sweet dessert. Just a bit too sweet for me but I cant hate too hard. Brownies in the liquid phase.

3.81/5  rDev -11%

July 2011 bottle, opened Aug 2012

A - Wow, the pour is liquid bowling ball black. Thick, creamy, milk chocolate brown head with fantastic retention and lace. Zero highlights on the solid black body.

S - Warm booze, balsamic, black molasses, toffee, savory, and anise.

T - Thick sweet molasses, burnt toast, dark roast coffee, cherry and plum fruits, toffee, dry dark chocolate, and cream.

M - Chewy mouthfeel. About as thick as they come.

O - Aggressive flavor profile; this bottle is definitely meant for sharing. It feels more over the top than in balance, which is cool if it's your thing but it's a little much for me.

3.82/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance -- Pours black with no head. Thin coffee ring appears as the beer settles. Coats the glass like CRAZY. Did I get duped with 10w30?? Aside from it looking still, it's perfect.

Smell -- Black coffee, cherry bon-bon, bourbon, vanilla, molasses. Beautiful.

Taste -- So much going on: Chocolate cake, vanilla, and black cherry are most noticeable upon the sip, followed by espresso bean and black malt roastiness. Definitely sweet, but with enough black malt acrid bitterness and a modicum of minty hops to keep it from seeming cloying and one-dimensional. There is an incredible amount of bourbon and vanillin flavor for something that is not even partially barrel-aged - it's not, right? Lingering flavors are of chocolate-covered cherries and cafe macchiato.

Mouthfeel -- Thick, chewy, coating.about as close to still as you can get. Carbonation flies past creamy headlong into Angel's Share territory. Having had a few Zhukov/Hunahpu variations up to this point, it seems to be this beer's hallmark. Intentional? Regardless, halfway through my glass it felt like chocolate syrup.

Overall -- This was a delicious beer. The roast/sweet interplay reminded me of a rich desert paired with coffee. Decadent, lots of depth, but man, that mouthfeel is difficult to get over, though looking over a lot of the other reviews. However, after browsing through some of the reviews perhaps I'm the only one? By the last 3-4 oz of my pour it became a labor to get through it was so syrupy. Regardless, good stuff. Consider sharing this with 3-4 friends.

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

very very dark, pitch black with the darkest tan you can get without it just being brown in the head. huge lacing.

chocolate, espresso and a touch of resinous pine coming from the hops.

ooh, this one is thick and deep. lots of roast and char with some coffee and chocolate but a very bitter piney finish. a touch too sweet though.

the mouthfeel is amazingly creamy and full bodied yet it still retains a certain smoothness, for an 11% alcohol beer, it is masked very well.

wonderful beer, could use some aging though.

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing