Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008)
claaark13

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

2011 bottle poured into a DHF chalice. Thanks urwithdave, I've wanted to try this guy for a while now and just hadn't gotten around to trading for it.

A - Perfect. Pours like I'm topping my car off with a liter of oil. So dark, so thick. A dark, chocolate colored head slowly rises from the 12oz line to the top of the chalice. As time passes and sips occur, the head retains at 1/4" or a little less. Beautiful. This is exactly how I want all of my RIS to pour.

S - Before any sips, I was getting roasted malts with a very mild amount of hops in the background. As it warmed, I picked up on some sweetness. As I drank and as it continued to warm, the sweetness turned to dark fruits / roasted malts. Pretty good aroma all around. My wife described it as shoving your face into a bag of chocolate covered raisins. I can agree with this assessment. Nothing great stands out at me though and makes me think, "I need to try this right now."

T - Sweetness upfront and then the whole way through, finishing with roasted malts and a slight hint of what I'd call slightly burnt coffee. Sweet, creamy middle flavor. Finish is dry. Upon further investigation (2nd sip), I think I'm getting some hops here. As I get further into the glass, I get sweet dark fruits -> mild hops -> sweet roasted malts. The sweetness is evident, but not overpowering. The more I drink this, the more I really enjoy it. I am going to finish this bottle without issue. Not a lot of complexities, but a very nice drink.

M - Oh yes, this is how I like my RIS. I'll put this one up there with the appearance...perfect. Thick, creamy, full. RIS should have to be at least this thick to compete. Drinkability isn't really dinged here for me, but that is just my opinion.

O - I really like this beer. It is unique in that I think it hits the middle ground of two categories of RIS: thick/sweet and thick/hoppy. It stands out among most peers. Balance isn't perfect, but it is good. Of course, I'm comparing it to other "fresh" bottles of RIS to be fair. $12? Really? I'd buy as case, annually, if I lived in Tampa. I think the fact that this is available on the shelves holds it back on many people's scales, but I think it would fare very well in a blind taste test.

09-16-2011 00:52:02 | More by claaark13
oline73

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours black as night with a brown head and awesome retention. Great looking beer.

Smell: Sweet and roasty with some dark fruit notes as well as some faint vanilla.

Taste: Quite sweet. Hints of dark chocolate and dark fruit along with the roast. Very smooth with a mildly hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick and a bit syrupy. The carbonation is mild and smooth and the finish is slick.

Overall: A bit sweet but very good. I thought everything blended together quite well. I would definitely have this one again.

09-12-2011 14:48:40 | More by oline73
JamesShoemaker

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

750 ml bottle poured into my snifter. Huge thanks to RyanSchwam for this monster. My first CCB ever!

A - pours jet, jet black. One of the blackest beers I've ever seen. Lots of head, almost a waterfall effect like Guinness. The foam is the darkest brown. Great looking beer.

S - lots of malt, some hints of anise and coffee, maybe some chocolate on the bass note. The alcohol is detectable, but not overbearing.

T - I've been into Ten Fidy lately, so I'm implicitly comparing all RISs to that right now. MZ is pretty good, but the malt overwhelms, which is a trap to which many RISs succumb. Objectively, it's delicious.

M - goes down like a dream. The alcohol makes it somewhat syrupy, but nothing significant to complain about.

O - I asked Ryan for two bottles of this one because I was going to age the one that I didn't drink, but I'm not sure there are any flavors that need substantial toning down. Good beer, I'll certainly get it again if I'm ever in Florida.

11-11-2012 01:50:41 | More by JamesShoemaker
Jw347

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

A: Pours a viscous black hue. Small mocha colored head it defintely has good retention and lace.

S: Aromas of roasty malts, chocolate, and coffee come thru. The smell of the piney hops hide behind it all.

T: Love the color and aroma on this one. The roasted malt has a nice balanced mix with the chocolate and coffee that come thru. The piney/citrus bitterness comes thru on the back end. Overall pretty darn drinkable.

M: Not to heavy but it is full bodied, nice and rich, smooth, and its fair share of carbonation.

D: I really did dig this one, it will only get better with time im sure.

10-12-2009 14:45:31 | More by Jw347
Dope

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottle dated July so around 9-10 months old.

A: Jet black with one of the darkest heads I've ever seen - possibly the darkest. It's a dark dark brown head, at first it almost appears to be the same color as the beer before it washes out a little bit. Swirling the glass results in a multi-colored head. Fascinating. Huge head that appears to be very dense. Does not fade at all for the first few minutes. After about 10 minutes it has faded enough for me to take a sip. Leaves huge sheets of lacing all over the glass. Easy 5.

S: Loads of roasted malt. Bitter char, espresso and dark chocolate. Prominent molasses and toffee.

T: Heavy heavy toffee and molasses up front - almost like an english barleywine. Turns into roasted malt with coffee and chocolate in there. Roasted malt isn't as prominent as I would expect, the molasses are really strong.

M: Big and syrupy thick.

O: A big syrupy RIS. Very heavy on the molasses which almost drowns out all that wonderful roasted malt unfortunately. I would have liked to have given it better scores for taste but the flavor was less stout that I expect, and quite unbalanced I felt. Will have to age one and see how I feel.

04-30-2012 05:46:58 | More by Dope
infi

#100!

Shared with BAs brun, NYManc and r0nyn. From 10/6 notes.

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Immediately as I was pouring the stout out of the bottle, I could tell of its incredible viscosity and thickness, just by how heavy it felt. Lo and behold, this brew was looking like molasses and syrup in the glass. Immensely dark and black with no head, but rather some floating tan bubbly islands and no lacing. The legs of the alcohol were quite noticeable too. Aroma was very sweet, especially when let warm. The milk and dark chocolate notes opened up vigorously and made way for a caramel appearance. Reminded me of a toned down version of ST's Creme Brulee. Also, more espresso than coffee on the nose alongside some boozy heat.

Flavors were more coffee and espresso oriented, but segued into a beautiful malt backbone with milk chocolate sweetness. Each flavor component was represented very well on the palate. This finish was incredibly notable too: very chocolately and sweet, like some Ghiradelli. Very, very appetizing.

Mouthfeel was VERY smooth and creamy. Very thick and generously coating. It's got to be the thickest beer I've ever encountered so far and I loved it. Much respect to the Marshal.

10-07-2010 16:56:06 | More by infi
paulozanello

Brazil

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours an opaque black color, with a minimal brown head. Very thick and oily aspect to it. Not much lacing nor retention.

Aroma is of dark roasted malts, olives (?)/ herbal hops and wood.

Taste is sort of unusual with a malt/mollasses start and kind of a malt adstringency that resembles sourness. In the middle I can definitely taste some herbal/earthy hop charachter. It progresses with dark fruits, smoke malt and ends with lots of roast+hop bitterness with a lingering aftertaste.

Body is medium to heavy, smooth carbonation. Great silky mouthfeel.

Nice beer but it tastes a little too smoky to me. I realize it is just a personal preference but I like my imperial stouts leaning more towards vanilla/chocolate/coffee. Definitely worth a try though.

02-02-2011 03:00:27 | More by paulozanello
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.

A - This is one of the most attractive beers I've ever seen. It pours a viscus oily pitch black abyss. Almost like syrup. There is a nice thin 1/4 of an inch dark dark brown head that sticks around for a bit with some nice dense and frothy bubbles. Almost like a cappuccino.

S - Starts off with tons of sweet molasses. There is some chocolate in there as well as some nice toffee and caramel. There is a heavy sweetness to the aroma. Slight roast and espresso notes with licorice in there.

T & M - Starts off with some slight roast and coffee notes that is then overwhelmed by tons of malt. The malt notes are quite intense with some caramel and toffee notes as well as very noticeable grain notes. There is quite a bit of licorice and some nice milk chocolate sweetness and slight dark chocolate bitterness and richness. There is some wood notes as the beer warms and the licorice and dark malt really wakes up as it warms. One of the most licorice-filled palette and noses I've ever had. The mouthfeel is very oily and chewy. Definitely a full bodied beer. It could use some more CO2.

O - The beer is very nice looking and has some nice aromas and well crafted flavors. My only complaint is the licorice. It doesn't seem as balanced as other RIS in that department. Other than that it has some nice roast and sweetness. Good beer.

01-02-2012 21:26:22 | More by JoEBoBpr
ehammond1

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks sendsilk!

Dark as night black pour. Brown and khaki colored head with lots of lacing down the glass.

Roasted malts, coffee, licorice, some alcohol, and lots and lots of chocolate in the nose. Chocolate lovers would go crazy for this!

A chocolatey stout for sure! Lots of chocolate, roasted malt, stinging licorice, and some coffee round out this big stout. Incredibly sweet though, and that would be my only complaint. I wish the chocolate would come in its more bitter form, but sweet chocolate lovers would gladly geek out over this! (Can you believe I was lucky enough to pair this with Green Flash Double Stout chocolate brownies? Yum yummm!) Too sweet for my tastes, yet still delicious!

Rich, thick, and full mouthfeel. Decadent.

A delicious chocolate stout I can't wait to have again, though it's too sweet to become one of my favorites.

08-31-2011 03:50:33 | More by ehammond1
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Kuhnhenn Winter Soltice BA/RB tasting party. Thick RIS, thick chocolate. Pours dark brown with some head. Great tasting, with some complexity beyond the bittersweet chocolate . A little chocolate in the aroma. Contained roast. Drying.Best consumed as a dessert.

12-21-2009 15:09:30 | More by Sammy
EricCioe

Montana

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

This pours deep black, one of the most viscous looking beers I've ever seen, which surprised me given the Huna that we had right before this. On the nose there is a giant roast component, dark fruit and vanilla and molasses. This is a very sweet beer. In the mouth the roast provides a base for molasses, dark fruit, and some smoke to play around on. The body is thick, one of the thickest I've ever experienced, with a long finish of the various flavors fading together.

Overall, I'd drink this over Huna all day long. There is enough going on in this beer, and to me Huna pushes all those flavors over the edge. While you can't call this balanced, for a big stout everything sits well together.

04-14-2012 19:03:14 | More by EricCioe
cvm4

Mississippi

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Pours a deep black and has a nice one finger light brown head. No real lacing to speak of.

S - Dark chocolate, roasted malts and molasses.

T - Dark chocolate overwhelms you transforming into expresso and finishing with dark fruits (plums/raisins).

M - Thick and highly carbonated. Full bodied and not ashamed of it.

O - A unique imperial stout. It's an in your face, bold imperial stout. But, the lingering sweetness throws me off.

03-01-2012 03:11:49 | More by cvm4
BeerAndBourbon

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

A. Pours viscous black with no head whatsoever.

S. Chocolate malt with some sweetness, some spiciness, and a touch of smokiness.

T. Roasted chocolate malt with a touch of molasses sweetness. Roasted malt and coffee bitterness lead to a dry finish.

M. Thick and viscous with very little carbonation. Somehow this works better than the higher carbonation in Hunahpu's.

D. Very good. Doesn't stand out against a lot of the beers we've had, but a very solid beer.

02-26-2011 21:50:25 | More by BeerAndBourbon
Yagman3000

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Served from a .750 bottle into a goblet.

Appears as dark as midnight. Pure motor oil. Super viscous with a small creamy bubbly head.

Smells very boozy... There's a sting to the nostrils. There's a trace if anise and some coffee. There might be a subtle scent of coffee underneath it all.

Tastes like dark chocolate brownies. Much less coffee and licorice in the mouth.

Mouthfeel is super thick and a mouth filler. It exits quietly and without too much if a booze burn.

Overall I'm impressed with this beer. It's a thick one and a slow sipper that carries its booze well.

11-26-2011 22:47:26 | More by Yagman3000
bret27

courtesy of threewisemen

S: Roasted malt, little dark unsweetened chocolate. Not all that sweet. This stout is all business.

A; Very black. Little brn head, decent lace.

T: Same as smell, little sweetness, toffee, some warming etoh presence, but not overwhelming.

M/D: Fairly thick w/good carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good for an IS.

Overall: Good but not amazing. The reason I have to give this stout serious props is because it is basically the base recipe for all their stouts, some of which are mind-blowing. Marshal Z is the backbone of this operation. He does the heavy lifting for cigar city I believe.

01-26-2010 06:06:02 | More by bret27
tpd975

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to Joey and Wayne for opening a bottle to share.

A: Pours a nice dark black hue. Nice mocha head that exhibits good retention and lace.

S: Bold aromas of roasted malt, bitter chocolate, and coffee. Hints of citrus hops hide beneath.

T: Nice rich aroma. Bold roasted malt, bakers chocolate, and earthy slightly acidic coffee. Subtle notes of dark fruit, and a hint of molasses to provide balance. Fairly roasted and earthy.

M: On the lighter side of full bodied, rich, smooth, with great carbonation.

D: Good. I think this is one that will get even better with age.

10-11-2009 21:01:36 | More by tpd975
axeman9182

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

750 mL bottle courtesy of FEONVDNGRTSNGRNG. It was allowed to warm some before being poured into my Firestone Walker tulip.

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout pours a solid black. There's almost four fingers of foam so dark that I could barely tell it apart from the beer when the lights were low. Head retention is fantastic, I actually started getting impatient waiting for it to finish fading. Lacing is left in thick webbing. The nose is wonderfully intense, with rich dark chocolate and potent espresso leading the way. There's also a noticeable molasses aroma, but it's definitely playing third wheel to the other two. The flavor still features plenty of chocolate and espresso, but the molasses is a bit more prominent here. Frankly, I think I like it better in more of a supporting role. There is a nice earthy hop flourish just in time for the finish. The body is nice and chewy, but I don't know if it's too full, or if the carbonation is just too low, but the mouthfeel definitely comes off as a bit syrupy at times. While excellent all the way across the board, Marshal Zhukov is one of the better straight up imperial stouts (no barrels and/or flavorings) that I've had in a while.

08-13-2012 06:05:14 | More by axeman9182
wyattshotmaker

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

from the whole foods bowery growler room.

i honestly laughed at how dark the head was on this beer. poured into a tulip, looked fantastic. great head retention, great lacing.

nose is leathery, dark chocolate, coffee, roasted barley.

taste is big and roasty. huge roasted barley flavor, chocolate, coffee. not very sweet. dry, roasty, slight warming alcohol note.

super thick without being sweet. really a nice beer.

01-02-2011 01:02:20 | More by wyattshotmaker
codewarrior

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

750mL Bomber into a Snifter.

Yet another stout from the mystery stout box from 7ways. Amazing generosity.

A: Pours jet black and thick as tar (quite literally). Head materializes from beneath, half-finger, a few seconds after I finish pouring.

S: Crisp, bitter-sweet in the front, roasted malts and caramel, back fades into booze.

T: Bitter into sweet, then fading into booze. Back is far sweeter than it smells.

F: Mouth-coatingly thick. Clings to your lips on the way in. I imagine this is what drinking motor oil is like.

D: Damn good, something implacable in the mouth and nose here, but really really good.

11-01-2010 16:06:08 | More by codewarrior
NewGlarusFan

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to Beergod1 for the trade!

Poured into a tulip glass. Bottle date 7/11/13

A) Dark used Motor oil, thick melted chocolate ice cream, no head expected for almost a 12%.

S) Smoked malt, espresso, and baker's chocolate, Cavendish pipe tobacco

T) Not what i expected at all. Soy sauce, beef jerky, vanilla, cavendish pipe tobacco; aftertaste dark chocolate, dark fruit, and figs.

M) Thick medium amount of carbonation.

O) I was disappointed to say the least. Too much up front, too little in the back. I do want to trade for another and cellar for a while. Even as it warmed nothing changed.

04-21-2014 16:06:54 | More by NewGlarusFan
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -6%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a very dark brown color head with great retention and some good lacing. Aroma is very complex with a mix of black chocolate, coffee and some nice roasted malt with loads of other complex flavors that are very hard to describe. Taste is also a very complex and enjoyable mix between some black chocolate with light lactic sugar and some coffee notes, Body is very full with great carbonation and I thought I smell a little bit of phenolic alcohol. I am glad to have tried this one and makes we want to try some more beers form this brewer.

01-16-2010 03:38:14 | More by Phyl21ca
GbVDave

4.1/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into three pint glasses. Thanks to Steve and Chris for the assist!

A: Slid into the glasses like junkyard diesel engine motor oil. Creamy cigar ash colored head. Fair retention, no lace.

S: Killer aromas of spicy dark fruit, grassy hops, dark bread, and dark chocolate.

T: See above. Loads of ashy, burnt flavors. Quite savory and chewy with a bit of tangy fruit.

M: Thick and sticky. Dry, bitter, and quite clingy.

D: Drinks way better than the abv would lead you to believe. Very nice!

01-03-2011 17:56:06 | More by GbVDave
womencantsail

4.1/5  rDev -6%

A: You can't get much prettier than this beer. A thick, black motor oil like pour with a surprising amount of mocha colored foam.

S: Pretty standard RIS aromas coming out of this one: coffee, bitter chocolate, licorice, and some dark fruits.

T: The chocolate is the most prominent flavor coming out of this beer. The coffee and roasted malt provide a bit of contrast and bitterness.

M: Full bodied with moderate carbonation. A nice viscosity to it.

D: Not a bad beer. I guess my expectations were a bit high for this one, but the flavors were a bit underwhelming, unfortunately. Still a good RIS, but not the best.

01-04-2010 20:11:12 | More by womencantsail
Stinkypuss

4.1/5  rDev -6%

Pours a dark brown, opaque color with a dark brown head. Aroma of roasted malt, whiskey like alcohol and wood. I'm the taste, dark roast coffee, dark fruits, dark chocolate and alcohol. Palate coating dark chocolates with some intense citrus hops in a die hard fashion. Coffee, smoke, charcoal and earthy at that. Faint vanilla like hint. Warming booze. Full bodied feel, smooth, with an even carbonation. Overall this is a great big stout.

09-21-2013 22:38:34 | More by Stinkypuss
ms11781

4.1/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to moz9. No date on the bottle but the label lists the ABV at 11% but the listing on the site has it at 11.5%. Perhaps that would differentiate which vintage this is.

Pours a very thick, solid black with zero head aside from a a few tiny bubbles on one side of the glass. The beer looks thick and viscous with no noticeable carbonation. There is no noticeable lacing as the beer is consumed but once the glass is empty an extremely thin, clear, brown film-like layer can be seen.

The aroma is quite strong. Dark and bitter chocolate dominate the nose, along with some almost earthy notes. There is a sweetness to it, maybe some milk chocolate and/or dark fruit. There is a hint of coffee as well as a strong aroma of alcohol. When the beers is a bit colder it smells bourbon-like, which was surprising, but as soon as it warms even the slightest amount that characteristic disappears.

The taste is very sweet. Not cloying, a tad sugary, but somewhat balanced on the back end. There are milk chocolate and slight toffee flavors that stand out and make the beer very sweet at first. There is also a hint of molasses and a bit of ripe, dark fruit, almost cherry-like. There is roasted malt character that takes over and finishes with a bitter,charred, burnt coffee flavor that sticks for a bit. As the beer warms the sweeter characteristic become more pronounced and the bitter ones fade a bit.

The mouthfeel is extremely thick. Syrupy and viscous. The carbonation is as close to non-existent as you can get. In fact, there may be none. There is some warming from some alcohol that may make it seem like there is a touch of carbonation but that may not be the case. When the beer is a bit colder the charred, burnt flavors dry it out considerably but that fades as it warms.

Overall, this was a solid and interesting example of the style. I actually enjoyed the whole 750ml bottle myself over the course of an almost 5 hour period so I had the beer at various temps and as it warmed it brought out new flavors and/or highlighted some of the existing ones. I definitely wish I had another bottle as I'd like to lay one of these down and revisit it down the road.

04-19-2011 05:33:52 | More by ms11781