Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008

Ratings: 2,360 | Reviews: 513
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a bomber into my tulip. 2011 vintage.

A – Black. Beyond black. Huge 3 fingers of creamy deep dark brown head that just clings to the glass. Looks like chocolate egg cream froth.

S – Dark chocolate, toffee, molasses, coffee, vanilla.

T – Huge and heavy roasted malts immediately. Full dark chocolate taste right after but not making this overly sweet. It is there but its not a super sweet stout. Vanilla and molasses present. Has a nice bitter effect at the end. Warming alcohol finishes it off.

M – Thick and creamy. It totally coats your mouth from corner to corner. Viscous is the word. Nice.

O – Excellent stout. Its got a great complex taste. Leaves you wanting more. Was an easy drinker considering the ABV. Glad I bought a few of these.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 bottle with a year of age on it.

A - Black with a nice beep brown small(ish)head.

S - Big. roasty, chocolate, malty

T - Like the nose. Chocolate, roasty, coffee, malty. Very smooth.

M - Very thick, slightly oily. Coats the mouth.

O - Very good. Up there witht the best imperial stouts.

4.53/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

'13 into a CS snifter. I am totally biased, as this is in my top 5 non BA RIS.

A- Jet black, black as night. Very dark. Decent ring of lacing with good retention.

S- I am getting a beautiful mix of molasses, black liquorice, chocolate, dark fruit, charred dark fruit. All of these things alone I don't like in a beer. But the fragrance is so amazing. I love it!

T- Following the nose with a beautiful harmony of all of the nose characteristics intertwined wonderfully. I feel a bit queer writing about this, but this beer is so fkng good.

M- Exactly what I want a RIS body to be. Thick. Chewy. Viscous. Glory sauce.

O- This is my favorite non-spiced RIS. Unreal. If you want to trade these to me, I will gobble them up. I have been rating under the median lately, but I know that I am over on this one. I am not a homer on this one either. Never lived in FLA, CO boy my whole life. Cheers!

4.54/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Marshal Zhukov pour flat black into the glass with a very small brown head on top. A few spots of lace stick to the glass.

The aroma is rich with chocolate, roasted malt, nuts, dark fruit (raisin, fig) and a touch of coffee.

Each sip of this full bodied beer is velvety smooth, creamy with light carbonation. The rich flavor is loaded with chocolate, roasted malt, toffee, nuts, and dark fruit (raisin). It finishes mildly bitter with a touch of grass. Once gone the chocolate and nutty notes linger on the palate.

This beer has an awesome mouthfeel with a full flavor that expands as it warms. I hope someday I can get another bottle.

4.54/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 25 oz bomber into a cigar city snifter. Thank you FLBrew for this guy!

Appearance - Pours a thick, oily, opaque black body with a nice 2 finger milk chocolate colored head that reduces very slowly to release those delicious aromas at a slow pace.

Smell - Strong, potent aromas of dark fruits, dark chocolate, molasses, toasted marshmallows, and coffee beans fill the air. Really inviting.

Taste - Let this one warm up for the flavors to come out. The first flavors to touch the tongue are bold coffee with cream, milk chocolate, vanilla, molasses.. these flavors develop into deep roasty notes, including cocoa, really dark chocolate, roasted malt. The aftertaste is charred and delicious.

Mouthfeel - Thick, rich, and savory. I enjoyed this over a 2 hour period and the flavors and thickness got better as it warmed.

This is what an imperial stout should taste like.. perfectly balanced, rich, complex, flavorful. Doesn't need a barrel or a boat load of crazy ingredients to make it world class.

4.54/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Original review was a 75cl bottle of the 2012 vintage poured at a recent beer tasting yesterday, 7/21/2013, so about a year old. It was poured into an unlabeled snifter glass at room temperature. The updated review is a 75cl bottle of the 2013 vintage poured into a Cigar City snifter yesterday, 9/11/2013. So the updated review is a reflection of the beer when it's fresh.

The nose gives me a good bit of dark chocolate and definitely molasses, with a bit of hefty espresso in the background. I can tell that this beer is the base for the Hunahpu as I recognize some of the notes here. There is also a bit of hop presence here, kind of like in the Founders' Imperial Stout or Victory Storm King. Smells good.

The beer pretty much pours a super thick, viscous motor oil into a straight up dark brown abyss. It is opaque with a creamy mocha head that extends over a cm and slowly dissipates into nothingness, which leaves the beer a placid pool of blackness. Lacing is there in spots and falls back into the beer as I sip on it. It stains the glass brown as I swirl it, much like Hunahpu does. It's so viscous, thick and hefty. Great looking stout!

As I drink this beer, I recognize the flavours I pick out in the nose. The molasses is definitely strong here, providing a nice dose of pure sweetness that is balanced out by the bitterness of the dark chocolate and espresso notes. The finish is just so dark chocolatey and roasty, it is incredible. In my opinion, this finish is missing in the 1 year old Zhukov compared to the fresh version... in the aged version, there is a lot less espresso and the dark chocolate is really more of a lighter, non-bitter milk chocolate type of flavour. But yeah, the fresh version is very complex with so much intense flavours yet it is so well-balanced and transitions very well with each flavour I pick out. I had to remind myself that this was not aged in bourbon barrels.

The body itself is incredibly thick as I alluded to before.. typical Cigar City stout viscosity and creaminess. Such a full bodied beer, with solid carbonation that drinks so very smoothly and feels creamy. Chewy and decadent. Leaves a finish similar to bitter dark chocolate with some roast marshmallow sweetness and a dash of sweet brown sugar.

An outstanding Imperial Stout. Cigar City knows what they're doing.. well, we all knew that already. Zhukov is a strong, complex beer that will keep you warm and interested. I recommend trying this one at least once when you get the chance. Having tried a bunch of RIS's out there, I can confidently say that I prefer Marshal Zhukov to any of the acknowledged RIS heavyweights such as Darkness, Plead the Fifth, Dark Lord, Ten Fidy, Stone IRS etc. Now if Cigar City released a barrel-aged Marshall Zhukov in bottles.. the world would probably collapse on itself.

4.54/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – The beer was jet black with only a few bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smell – The nose was dominated by dark chocolate and malts.

Taste – My initial impression is deep dark chocolate. There is almost a syrupy quality, but it is not too sweet. Burnt malts and a little spiciness are also included, which leads well into a dry chocolate after.

Mouthfeel – The stout clings to the tongue and mouth amid the assault on the taste buds.

Overall – Though not overly chocolatey, this is close to being a chocolate stout. I would certainly seek this one again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this beer

Review adapted from notes taken 3/31/12

Appearance: Dark, to say the least - pitch black, with a dark brown head - small, spotty lacing - looks like oily sludge, seriously leaves a film on the glass

Smell: Burnt and absurd - an utterly massive amount of malts, like liquified burnt bread, so heavy and so burnt - dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, other burnt aromas

Taste: Burnt chocolate and... malt extract?! - caramel (like, a cube of caramel candy), coffee, sugar, vanilla, chocolate, dark fruits - extreme, to say the least - the maltiness is insane, tastes like concentrated extract that should be watered down to make into beer

Mouthfeel: One of the heaviest beers I have ever had, ever - sludgy, extremely heavy, like burnt malt syrup, yet somehow has enough carbonation to hold it together

Overall - This is a monster

Multiple aspects of this beer are simply unbelievable. This is something to make into beer, not a stand-alone product. You could probably eat this with a spoon.

4.55/5  rDev +4.1%

Was down in FL for the holidays and I agreed to pick one of these up for someone in MD. The only place I could find it for sale in Gainesville was a beer bar that sold beer to go. I purchased the rather expensive (for me) bottle of beer and proceeded to drink the rest of the night away. The owner of the bar (and a friend of mine) asked me what beer I had bought to go and when I told him (he had not heard of it, been a busy 6 months for him) he promptly bought another one for he and I to share.

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass (Delirium tulip). Beer is viscous as it pours from the bottle into the glass, jet pitch as dark as can be black in color. Leaves a residue where the beer hits the side walls of the tulip. There isn't much head or carbonation (its 11% alcohol) but when you swirl the beer a big thick head of really dark brown bubbles (small combining into large) forms and falls away leaving a ton of lacing on the walls. The carbonation level cannot support the head. This beer looks amazing. I've never seen such a dark colored head.

The aroma is overwhelming and complex. The flavor of this beer had better not let me down, the aroma is beautiful. First off its strong. I stick my whole nose into the tulip and breath in. I can smell chocolate and sweet malt. The alcohol is there but its not solventy it adds to the experience and helps accent the roasted coffee flavors. The sweetness is the dominant flavor.

Time to drink finally. The beer was served a little too cold so I held the bowl of the glass in my hand for several minutes enjoying the aroma. Mouthfeel is good, big bodied despite the high ABV, lots of flavors that completely coat the mouth. The alcohol is not as obvious in the beer as it was in the aroma, the flavor is dominated by a strong sweetness (that the alcohol may be contributing to) in the front of a good full malt character and then an avalanche of roasted espresso and coffee in the back of the mouth. Beer continues to surprise by not having an aftertaste. The coffee flavor is present and lingers but there is not secondary flavors. This is a world class beer and one of the, if not the best, Russian Imperial Stout I have ever had. I'm sure the oak and cedar aged versions are even more complex and amazing.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bought a 32oz growler at the Bowery beer room (Whole Foods - NYC).

Poured jet black into a 7 oz tasting glass. Motor oil in color and consistency, one ca tell this is going to be a very viscous brew. A small 1/2 inch chocolate colored head establishes itself and lingers for quite a while. Surprised given the ABV. Looks great int he glass.

Smell: Nose is really complex here. Strong caramel and sweet malts dominate. Burnt raisins, plums, and dark chocolate fill the air when this is poured. Some roast but held in check by copious amounts of malt sweetness.

Taste: Quick flash of acrid roastiness that gives way to coffee-like character. Actually the coffee notes are quite strong in the brew and is very pleasing. The coffee/cappuccino notes mix well with a heavy malt profile. Chocolate covered figs and plums, followed by roasted caramel. The ABV is held in check with this brew - only a slight warming is noted. Mouthfeel is thick, creamy, and spot on for an RIS.

Overall: Great beer. Glad to be drinking this on a cold winter's night. Lots of complex things going on here - seek it out. I've never tried their barrel versions of this brew so I might have to now.

4.55/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pitch black stout beautifullness.

S: The roasted malts, hint of chocolate and some booze.

T: Russian imperial stout 101, brewed to perfection. complex without being overwhelming. it hits all musts of this variety. Drinks pretty easy even at 11%. really tasty.

O: wish i had bought more. i would love to sit on a few of these and see how they develop.

4.56/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

All I can say is outside of the UK, this is best example of a prefect RIS, there is IN FLORIDA.

rich creamy sweet, dark chocolate taste, just heaven... really the rest is just for the eyes.

2011 release poured at cellar temp into my Founder's snifter,

A: B E A utiful! Deep, dark brown. 2 finger mocha head that is slow to recede. Lots of sticky lacing. One of the best looking stouts I have ever seen.

S: Roasted, chocolately malt.

T: Just like it smells. Deep, dark, silky, roasted chocolate.

M: The thickest, chewiest, creamiest stout I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. This make this one stand out.

O: One of the top 3 non-BA stouts I have had. CCB deserves the acclaim it gets for the stouts they produce.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a 750ml bottle dated 31Aug2012 in a DFH snifter. Thanks surge1311!!!

A - Deep black with no light. A sturdy tan head that clings nicely to the glass. I enjoyed watching it stick with each sip then oh so slowly slide down the side.

S - Rich malt aromas with molasses, brown sugar, roasted marshmallows, chocolate and coffee. Great depth and complexity.

T - Like the aroma, rich malts dominate. Lots of dark chocolate. Great complexity. Smooth with no rough edges.

M - Thick and chewy yet an aspect of light and airy. Fantastic.

O - This is the stuff oil workers scrape off their shoes. But unlike them, this is not something you wish away. A great brew from an unlikely part of the country.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Obsidian with a dark brown head, perhaps the darkest beer I have ever seen.

S: Dark chocolate, coffee, molasses in a delicious nose.

T: Dark chocolate, but sweet, molasses.

M: Full bodied and creamy smooth.

O: This beer is an epic drinking experience. One of the best non-barrel aged imperial stouts I've ever had.

4.56/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had a couple of these for a while and decided that the return of stout weather justified drinking one.
It is cliche but this is pitch black, pretty much black hole dark.
The most extraordinary thing about this exceptional ale was the smell, tobacco, sticky fruit, heavy like every thing about this.
The taste is the mouth full of malt, roasted malt, after three years in the bottle no hops to speak of.
Thick robust feel.
As you might guess I really like this stuff, maybe as much as some of the 4.75s I gave under the old system. Find this, cellar this , drink this!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very dark three finger thick head on a jet black body. Initially after the pour it's hard to find the head - body transition, an interesting finding. The head stays forever it seems gradually releasing aroma of sweet and dark chocolate, roasted malt, oak/rum, brown sugar and vanilla.Flavor follows with a very complex and dynamic character. Opening with cola, milk chocolate and cream moving to dark chocolate and roasted malts finishing with vanilla and coffe, a great beer. Full, thick body coating the palate and light carbonation. This one lives up to the hype and expectation. A must try.

4.57/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Generously shared by John and split between essentially him and I
2013 bottle poured into 2 snifters

A - Dark as night. Thick creamy pour that leaves a 1/4 finger mocha head that resides back into the glass after a moment. Really solid looking stout

S - Smell is huge nose of tobacco with dark fruits, figs and some roasted dark chocolate. One of the most tobacco forward smelling beers I've had

T - Taste follows the nose with huge tobacco and dark fruit flavors on the front followed by bitter dark chocolate and hints of molasses and coffee

M - Creamy full bodied stout with moderate amount of carbonation

O - This was an awesome beer that I was honored to be able to try. Thanks John

4.57/5  rDev +4.6%

God damn you jefferz5000, your constant instigation has caused me finally to take down the Z-man, on such a special occasion as this, a tuesday night!

Pours a pitch black 100% opaque light destroying black hole of a color. There is no closer hexadecimal color value closer to this than #000. Even a vigourous pour leaves a very thin of almost as hatefully colored head. By far and away, the darkest head I have ever seen on a beer. I would have liked to see more head though, that's what she said...

It smells great too, the alcohol and chocolate combine to create a truly intoxicating smell, it has very light coffee in here as well.

This sublime beer has booze up front followed quickly by dark chocolate and malt and then has a bitter coffee finish.

Mouthfeel is truly sublime, its so smooth, viscous, creamy, and syrupy all at once making for something truly decadent that can be enjoyed sip after sip.

Alcohol is present but not overwhelming, there is a lingering coffee aftertaste that is holding it back but not bad on the drinkability scale.

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%

Greg is the man, nuff said. Another one I can finally cross off my list, I was able to open this one up and go to town on it last night. Served cold and poured into a snifter over the course of a couple hours, this one was consumed on 02/11/2010.

Best pour that could have happened, hands down. Simply astounding with the deepest, darkest black color possible and a huge, towering head of dark tan that nearly over topped the rim of the glass and simply refused to go anywhere. Could not have asked for it to look better, perfect. Could smell this one from across the room. Dark molasses, coffee, dark, dark chocolate just filling the air. Hints of dark wood, sweet, licorice, just an immense, immense aroma coming off of this one, I was really, really impressed from the start. Each sip seemed fuller more intense and luscious then the one before. Dark chocolate and coffee and dominant now, with vanilla creeping in but not overtaking, then a smack down of lightly bitter coffee seals it and I am in love. A full on RIS, this is what it is all about. Warming brings the coffee out front and center and everything starts to become clear now. Really just is impressive, impressive beer. One of the fullest feels, similar to Dark Lord or Abyss in that department, outstanding balance and flavor and could not ask for it to come across more full.

Overall one of my new favorites. I cannot even imagine what Hunaphus will bring if this one is as good as this, I am just beyond impressed.

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%

750mL bottle. Bottled July 2011. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

Pours gleaming jet black with a most beautiful two fingers of chocolate head. Small occasional patches of lace.

Rich aromas of dark fruit, molasses and cocoa. Sweet and inviting.

Wow, this is a powerhouse of classic robust imperial stout goodness! Raisin, currant, dark chocolate, molasses, leather, cherry pit, creamed coffee and caramel. Rich and delicious, only small traces of the 11% abv.

Nailed it on the feel! Oily thick, with a small pop or carbonation. Creamy, tongue coating and heavy. A lingering sweet thick aftertaste.

Another homerun from Cigar City. One of the finest imperial stouts that I've had the pleasure of trying. I'm sure the year of aging didn't hurt anything and I'm looking forward to what the other one I have will taste like in another 6-12 months. If you can try this, you should. Fantastic.

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%

Review from notes at World of Beer - Fort Myers on 9/17/11.

Poured on draft into a snifter.

Appearance: Dark as night, completely opaque motor oil black with a 1 finger creamy dark mocha head. Perfect lacing. I don't think a stout could look any better.

Smell: Coffee, chocolate, sweet malt and a touch of toffee.

Taste: Sweet malt, chocolate and molasses up front followed by coffee in the middle before ending with toasted malt and bitter hops. Aftertaste is bitter with a touch of burnt toast.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, thick and creamy. Very smooth.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. The alcohol will keep me from drinking multiples, but you could easily down more than one.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. I love it from the bottle, but the draft was just phenomenal. If you ever see it on draft, make sure you try it.

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%

CCB Marshal Zhukov Imperial Russian Stout bottled on August 31 2012 and tasted on 9/14 from bottle. Fresh tasting...

Pours pitch black with a dark brown head. Very thick

Smells of rich coffee, espresso, smoke, roasted malts. Long dry finish that leaves you wanting more.

Mouthfeel is very full bodied, plenty of tactile sensations - velvety but dry.

Overall opinion is that this beer is great! Loads of flavor and mouthfeel. This is a fresh tasting and I will revisit a cellared bottle later

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%

Amazing looking beer. Deep oily black with one of the best colored heads I've witnessed. Dark mocha colored and oozing rolling bubbles like molten lava.

Layers of black fruits and dark chocolate. Burnt caramel and some light leathery notes and earth. Blueberry, currant, tobacco, and more, great nose.

This is a fantastic beer, smooth, round, creamy mouthfeel. Tastes like a mocha latte. Cream, burnt sugar, espresso and chocolate in the front and middle, and black fruits and earth through the finish. Delectable beer huge malts, perfect balance and amazing mouthfeel.

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%

appearance: deep dark black, nearly ebony, loaded head and creamy garnet reddish froth. it was almost metallic swirling around in the glass. Was beautiful and probably the most attractive beer I have seen in a glass.

smell: loaded coffee, and heavy chocolate aromas

taste: rich and slight chocolate roasted flavors but had a smooth rich taste, Dry, not sweet at all. loads of coffee flavor.

mouthfeel: thick, creamy, good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: amazing, best stout and one of the best beers I have eve had. I compared this side by side with a BORIS and it blew it away. Not even close.

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing