Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008)

ghscott, Sep 03, 2013
4.48/5  rDev +2.5%

On tap at CCB on August 31, 2013. They served it to me in a CCB Snifter.

This beer poured an absolute black color. CCB has plenty of light in their tasting room, but it wasn't hard to tell that this beer was a pitch black color. It was as black as a German Soldier's heart during WWII. That's pretty damn black! On top of this ink black brew was a 1/4 of an inch dark mocha colored head of foam. This nice looking head of foam had nice retention that left behind a small, but fat sized string of rings along the edge of the glass. Beautiful appearance!

This is the type of aroma that you want to find in an Imperial Stout. The aroma was hugely roasted with a nice subtle sweetness to back it up. Right up front was the dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, and dark roasted espresso beans. Once it got the roasted aromas out of the way, in comes the dark fruits. The dark fruit punch consisted mostly of black cherry with a touch of plum and raisins. This beer isn't over yet. This beer then finishes up with a nice caramel/molasses aroma.

The taste was just as complex as the sweet ass aroma. Like the aroma, it was the dry roasted elements that kicked off the taste. That's where I found the dark roasted malt, bitter dark chocolate, and a nice amount of roasted espresso beans. The roasted element of the taste was so big that it overshadowed the dark fruits and the subtle sweetness. My tastebuds could only pick out some raisins, black cherry, a touch of plum, and a miniature taste of caramel/molasses. It wasn't hard to tell who controlled the taste of this beer.

This was a dry full bodied thick Imperial Stout with a good level of carbonation and a lingering roasted aftertaste. This aftertaste wasn't going anywhere and I'm fine with that. If couldn't tell from my taste description, the aftertaste contained dry roasted malt, bitter dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, a few dark fruits and a subtle taste of caramel.

I've had this beer a few times, but never bothered to review it. I know, I'm a bad person. There's no doubt about it. This is a really good beer. I didn't know Marshal Zhukov personally, but I'm sure he would be proud to have this beer attached to his name. It's good in the bottles and really good on tap.

AltBock, Sep 03, 2013

Roger85, Sep 03, 2013

TampacraftJMB, Sep 02, 2013

Tone2467, Sep 02, 2013

patm1986, Sep 01, 2013

bmurray10, Sep 01, 2013

ooms, Sep 01, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

So, this is the stout that started my romance with stouts. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. When I ordered a glass (at 11$) I was hoping that the hype surrounding this beer would be true. As soon as I put the glass up to my face the chocolatey-espresso smell punched me in the nose. I tipped the glass up and the motor oil slowly slid into my mouth. The chocolate and espresso flavor was instant and the gulp did not leave me with any bitter or spicy taste. The feel was smooth and I knew I had found my favorite beer.

Excellent beer. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect score is because I want to remain optimistic that there is something better out there, even though I doubt there is.

Cheers

Shmeal, Aug 30, 2013

uncccegr, Aug 30, 2013

aslamm75, Aug 30, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +12.1%

I had this imperial stout and I feel in love with Stouts. I honestly had never had a stout besides Samuel smith oatmeal stout and Guinness but honestly I don't count those. It's all about IMPERIAL STOUTS. So I was told to try this by a very knowledgeable dude in the craft beer game so I tried it and fell in love dude. Great aged or out of the tap or in the bottle. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on this, please do yourself a favor. I've had this couple times on tap and in bottle and it's as good as the first time, every time. I would give it 5/5 but I always think things can only get better.

drgoose23, Aug 29, 2013

millerbuffoon, Aug 29, 2013

Many thanks to GeorgiaBeerGuy for this bottle and welcome to the Lehigh Valley for delivering this in person to enjoy together!

A - Pours a pitch black with a thin toffee colored lacing that's very viscous and sticky, and thick.

S - Thick aroma, molasses, caramel, vanilla, oak, cream, and chocolate.

T - Lots of oak, chocolate, molasses, some booziness, and extremely light cherry flavor.

M - Thick, full bodied, viscous, sticky, and velvet texture.

O - So glad I finally had the opportunity to try this beer!

jzeilinger, Aug 29, 2013