2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial StoutMarshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,580 | Reviews: 455 | Show All Ratings:
AltBock

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at CCB on August 31, 2013. They served it to me in a CCB Snifter.

This beer poured an absolute black color. CCB has plenty of light in their tasting room, but it wasn't hard to tell that this beer was a pitch black color. It was as black as a German Soldier's heart during WWII. That's pretty damn black! On top of this ink black brew was a 1/4 of an inch dark mocha colored head of foam. This nice looking head of foam had nice retention that left behind a small, but fat sized string of rings along the edge of the glass. Beautiful appearance!

This is the type of aroma that you want to find in an Imperial Stout. The aroma was hugely roasted with a nice subtle sweetness to back it up. Right up front was the dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, and dark roasted espresso beans. Once it got the roasted aromas out of the way, in comes the dark fruits. The dark fruit punch consisted mostly of black cherry with a touch of plum and raisins. This beer isn't over yet. This beer then finishes up with a nice caramel/molasses aroma.

The taste was just as complex as the sweet ass aroma. Like the aroma, it was the dry roasted elements that kicked off the taste. That's where I found the dark roasted malt, bitter dark chocolate, and a nice amount of roasted espresso beans. The roasted element of the taste was so big that it overshadowed the dark fruits and the subtle sweetness. My tastebuds could only pick out some raisins, black cherry, a touch of plum, and a miniature taste of caramel/molasses. It wasn't hard to tell who controlled the taste of this beer.

This was a dry full bodied thick Imperial Stout with a good level of carbonation and a lingering roasted aftertaste. This aftertaste wasn't going anywhere and I'm fine with that. If couldn't tell from my taste description, the aftertaste contained dry roasted malt, bitter dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, a few dark fruits and a subtle taste of caramel.

I've had this beer a few times, but never bothered to review it. I know, I'm a bad person. There's no doubt about it. This is a really good beer. I didn't know Marshal Zhukov personally, but I'm sure he would be proud to have this beer attached to his name. It's good in the bottles and really good on tap.

09-03-2013 01:02:59 | More by AltBock
dayvinn87

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So, this is the stout that started my romance with stouts. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. When I ordered a glass (at 11$) I was hoping that the hype surrounding this beer would be true. As soon as I put the glass up to my face the chocolatey-espresso smell punched me in the nose. I tipped the glass up and the motor oil slowly slid into my mouth. The chocolate and espresso flavor was instant and the gulp did not leave me with any bitter or spicy taste. The feel was smooth and I knew I had found my favorite beer.

Excellent beer. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect score is because I want to remain optimistic that there is something better out there, even though I doubt there is.

Cheers

09-01-2013 01:26:01 | More by dayvinn87
drgoose23

4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

I had this imperial stout and I feel in love with Stouts. I honestly had never had a stout besides Samuel smith oatmeal stout and Guinness but honestly I don't count those. It's all about IMPERIAL STOUTS. So I was told to try this by a very knowledgeable dude in the craft beer game so I tried it and fell in love dude. Great aged or out of the tap or in the bottle. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on this, please do yourself a favor. I've had this couple times on tap and in bottle and it's as good as the first time, every time. I would give it 5/5 but I always think things can only get better.

08-29-2013 16:45:09 | More by drgoose23
macrosmatic

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes. Had on-tap at CCB tasting room. Poured into a snifter.

A: Extremely dark brown, opaque, with a one finger medium brown head that quickly fades to foam. No visible carbonation, although there may be some hidden in here somewhere.

S: Dark cacao sweetness, roasted malts, deep dark spicy hints in the background.

T: Dark chocolate and a bit of coffee malts, tobacco & leather. There's sweetness here but finishes with an almost tannin dryness.

M: Smooth mouthfeel, nice heavy body. There is a noticeable alcohol presence but well-hidden given the ABV.

O: Very nice base stout. Solid and well put together. Doesn't compare to the various and sundry treatments that are intermittently available, but very good.

10-14-2012 16:49:53 | More by macrosmatic
metter98

4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a thin mocha head covering the surface.
S: There are aromas of burnt malt in the nose along with hints of chocolate.
T: The taste is very malty with flavors of chocolate and has a light to moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels very full-bodied and smooth on the palate with a low amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is one that needs to be sipped, but the taste is interesting enough to make you want to slowly savor.

12-17-2011 04:50:38 | More by metter98
mltobin

Connecticut

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Served on-tap at Isaac Newtown`s.

Appearance is a rich black color with a thin head. Its` nose has brown sugar, coffee, molasses and roast. The taste is chocolate, black licorice, more coffee and all around sweetness. Mouthfeel is smooth and velvet like, quite nice. All in all, a very good RIS from the folks down south at Cigar City.

12-08-2011 01:39:55 | More by mltobin
jmdrpi

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

Served on tap in a small snifter.

Appears jet black, with the darkest head i've ever seen, dark chocolate brown. Great lacing. Huge roasty aroma.

Taste is amazing, powerful flavors of espresso, dark cocoa, and molasses. But its not overwhelming. Thick and viscous.

Overall, the best I've had from Cigar City, and definitely a top tier Imperial Stout.

11-30-2011 03:26:53 | More by jmdrpi
xnicknj

4.1/5  rDev -6%

on tap at khyber in philly

Pours a thick, viscous blacked out color with a layering of dark browned head. Retains for a bit, some wispy tanned film lies on top, leaving a couple spots of lacing behind.

Very roasty and warm in the nose. Plethora of dark fruits with some candied, sweet notes. A suggestion of cola. Licorice, plum, and dates. Cocoa with caramel and roasted malts. Decent flair of alcohol too.

Roasty and sweet up front. More dark fruit than I was expecting with candied dates and anise notes with a hint of plum. Dark chocolate and cocoa swirled with caramel and heavy, roasted malts. Warm booze and residual sweetness in the finish.

Very thick, viscous, almost oily feel on the tongue, decent carbonation. A really nice imperial stout, although it made me yearn for Hunahpu's.

11-18-2011 00:07:39 | More by xnicknj
hmf05

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured pretty black and left a small head that quickly dissipated. The aroma was coffee, chocolate, plums, cherries, black currant, and a hint of rubbing alcohol. The taste was just like the smell. Sweet dark fruits, coffee, and chocolate dominated. Pretty smooth going down but there is a hint of alcohol. Overall, a great RIS. The alcohol taste is noticeable and probably the only thing wrong with this beer, but at 11.5% what do you expect?

10-09-2011 18:17:50 | More by hmf05
Holland

4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

Had it on tap at the brewery. Review from notes.

A: thick, syrup-like look with thin lacing after the small head disappears. Not much to say about highlights - maybe a very dark brown.

S: smells of coffee, chocolate, dark roasted malts and grains, some sweetness, and a faint alcohol smell as it warmed past 50.

T: mostly the same as smell, with slightly burnt sugar added.

M: deliciously smooth, with some carbonation to balance it, but it's thick. What do you expect?

O: great beer, only wish it was less expensive and more available. It was $12 or $15 at the brewery, and I have not seen it elsewhere.

10-03-2011 18:51:46 | More by Holland
adam42381

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Review from notes at World of Beer - Fort Myers on 9/17/11.

Poured on draft into a snifter.

Appearance: Dark as night, completely opaque motor oil black with a 1 finger creamy dark mocha head. Perfect lacing. I don't think a stout could look any better.

Smell: Coffee, chocolate, sweet malt and a touch of toffee.

Taste: Sweet malt, chocolate and molasses up front followed by coffee in the middle before ending with toasted malt and bitter hops. Aftertaste is bitter with a touch of burnt toast.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, thick and creamy. Very smooth.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. The alcohol will keep me from drinking multiples, but you could easily down more than one.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. I love it from the bottle, but the draft was just phenomenal. If you ever see it on draft, make sure you try it.

09-25-2011 15:43:01 | More by adam42381
PorterLambic

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Arrives pitch black with a small, dense head the color of cocoa powder. Head dissipates to a thin film covering.
Smell is full of semisweet chocolate, malt, dark fruits, oak and wet cardboard. Very well balanced.
Taste is roasted malts, rum, dark chocolate, dark fruit. Lighter notes of oak and coffee. Very complex and well balanced.
Rich, very full-bodied. Extremely light effervescence. Thick almost to the point of being cloying but not quite getting there, thankfully. Smooth, this brew slides down your throat like liquid velvet. Unexpectedly, there was no warming from this 11% abv beer.

09-24-2011 01:09:47 | More by PorterLambic
Gehrig

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at The Imperial.

Thick molasses pour, producing a muddy onyx-colored body topped by one and one-half fingers of dark mocha froth; excellent duration and rings of lacing leave me very impressed.

Marshal Zhukov emits good, solid aromas of chocolate, roasted coffee, molasses, and some hazelnut. Wonderful taste, loaded with coffee, dark chocolate, a hint of berry in thew finish, and toffee. Bitter to start, the finish is surprisingly smooth to sweet. Creamy texture, somewhat light as well (not Guinness like, but a little airier than I anticipated) make this thoroughly enjoyable.

Splendid RIS, a very fine representative of the style and a great introduction to Cigar City's wares. I am glad I got a draft of Marshal Zhukov, for soon after I ordered mine, the keg spat empty and The Imperial added a different brew. This might have added to the muddiness, which I loved, though likely not much.

One of the better RIS I have had in some time. Recommended with gusto.

09-02-2011 13:44:29 | More by Gehrig
olimpia84

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Had this on tap during my visit to CCB. Beer was poured into a CCB snifter.

A: pitch black body with a creamy one finger chocolate milk colored head and beautiful viscous lacing as the beer goes down.

S: strong aromas of coffee, dark chocolate and roasted malts that cordially invite you to sip on this beer. Amazing.

T: follows the nose very closely with a thick presence of coffee, dark chocolate milkshake, brownies and lots of roasted malts. Slight sweet aftertaste that ends up begging your palate to go back for some more. Complex taste, yet very well executed; this is an amazing Imperial Stout.

M: I've never had something like this before. Smooth, creamy, soft, thick, and sticky mouthfeel. Let me mention the word smooth again because that's the keyword to describe this. Full body with low carbonation, the high alcohol level is not really felt at all.

O: Best qualities are the taste and the mouthfeel; this beer is an example of how to set the bar high...really high for Imperial Stouts. It was a pleasure enjoying this beer from start to finish, it's the perfect "dessert" beer if you ask me. God bless CCB.

08-28-2011 02:19:16 | More by olimpia84
brystmar

4.23/5  rDev -3%

200th review! Shared two pours on draft with my brother on his 30th bday.

A: black as night with a finger of dark brown head. Strong, sticky lace beckons your return to Mother Russia.

S: semi-sweet baker's chocolate, strong roasted malts, sweet malt, hints of both lactose and booze.

T: chocolatey with mild sweetness; roasted malt backbone holds its ground, contributing to a dry boozy finish. Not as complex as I was hoping, but solid for what it is.

M: holy molasses, Batman! Most viscous beer I'd had before this beast was Dark Lord 2010, and even that cannot compare to the hearty milkshake that is Zhukov. Seriously, this could be labeled as a boozy chocolate float and nobody would think twice.

D: easy drinking on the alcohol front; mild boozy warmth as it descends. However, a beer this heavy takes a toll on your stomach as it stuffs your body with chocolatey goodness. One 12oz pour filled me up to the brim.

Great beer, epic heartiness! Yet another impressive brew from Cigar City.

08-26-2011 23:01:40 | More by brystmar
pdeepak

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was lucky enough to get a glass of this at the Ginger Man in NYC when I was in the city for one night. Served in a snifter, this is probably the darkest stout I have seen to date.

Had a small dark mocha colored head that faded very quickly, but did leave lacing on the side of the glass. I detected a hint of smoke on a predominantly coffee nose, but I couldnt wait to taste this beer.

Worth every bit of attention that this beer receives, the taste and mouthfeel is where this beer shines. A little thick, almost treacly feel that really allows you to pick up on all the tastes that this beer has to offer. Will be searching it out in the future!

08-22-2011 03:44:14 | More by pdeepak
claspada

3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

Draft @ GingerMan NYC. Pours a dark dark dark brown (pretty much black) with a crazy thick inch of dark brown foam/head which leaves a boat ton of sticky brown lacing.

Aromas of extreme dark chocolate, roasted malts and dark bitter chocolate. As it warms I get some sweet dark molasses and a little smoke in the background. Some hefty espresso emerges and begins to dominate it continues to warm.

The taste is initially astringent dark roasty malts and dark bitter chocolate. Roasted charred malts are also rather prominent. Strong coffee/espresso notes come through as well. Some sweeter milk chocolate emerges as it warms but the roasted, bitter, astringent malts are a bit too dominant and a taste I am slowly beginning to dislike in my beers.

Mouthfeel is sticky and full bodied for sure. Chewy in an understatement here. Extremely thick, syrupy, viscous and mouth-coating. Much more carbonation than I experienced in last year's bottled version which had some carbonation issues I recall reading somewhere.

Overall this is a good tasting beer but the heavy chewiness in the body and roasted bitter, charred malt flavors are just too dominant for my tastes. I would prefer some more balanced milk chocolate flavors but I guess that is more the American Stout category as opposed to the RIS category here. Better than I remember, but my small sample at the bar was enough as I would struggle to finish the 750ml that this is typically bottled in. Maybe I am just over the Russian Imperial Stout category or my tastes have just shifted away from enjoying these huge chewy beast beers.

08-17-2011 14:07:33 | More by claspada
cosmicevan

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Had on tap at Good Time's pub with a steak sandwhich. Brew arrived in a tulip-ish glass (same as the DFH signature without a logo). Brew was gorgeous with the normal deep dark ominous black and a tall finger and a half deep tan (almost brown) head. Brew smelled of chocolate and roasted malts. Tasted even better than I remembered and left a nice little buzz. Aside from the nose, nice hints of vanilla and cream. Smooth and creamy, but rather rich and thick.

01-08-2011 20:58:45 | More by cosmicevan
afksports

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

I've had this on cask, and tap twice, but most recently on tap so that's what we're going with. Had it at the CCB event at Blind Tiger on 11/17. Some crap post nasal drip had me tackled, so I was only able to enjoy this and the Peach IPA. Argh, Novemberrr!

It pours a thick black with a dark tan/brown, almost khaki and red head. The finger thing stuff dissipates and leaves not much lacing, but keeps some decent legs. It's pitch black. No wonder the Germans couldn't beat this guy. They couldn't see. The smell is just as fantastic, with coffee, espresso and chocolate predominating. Burnt notes are there, caramel, toffee. Taste is out of this world too. Everything that's in the nose is in the drink, plus a sweetness that covers the booze.

It feels great going down, with the only knock being that there's not much variation on the velvety smoothness. I will drink as many of these as I can get my hands on. While I'm still standing.

And if November colds don't get in the way.

11-18-2010 18:52:09 | More by afksports
beersensei305

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

From Notes on 10/30/10. on tap at CCB.

A: Black and opaque, a tan head apears late but is thin and dissapears quickly.
S: Coffee, Chocolate, dark roasted malts.
T: Very complex taste, Coffee, choclate, roasted malts, dark fruits, toffee, molassess.
M: Very heavy beer, very creamy.
D: Good sipping beer but the flavors dominate everything even after you finish. So this is a one and down brew.

11-02-2010 23:42:32 | More by beersensei305
david18

I had a glass of this at George Keeley's on Manhattan's upper west side. This is one of the better Russian Imperial Stouts I had. Very dark color with a very dark head. Aroma is amazingly malty with the smell of dark roasts, alcohol and yumminess. The 11.5 aby really packs a punch so be careful. I'll have this again.

10-04-2010 20:44:35 | More by david18
Durge

Connecticut

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A totally opaque black brew with a decent brown head and lots of lacing. The aroma is full of deep nut coffee and buttery toast, somewhat mild but heavenly. The flavor brings thick molasses grassy hop that finishes with an ashy smoke. Unreal. Thick with minor carbonation and tart apricot highlights. Charcoal works it's way to the top with fruity overtones of watermelon and apricot with lots of buttery edges. Reasonably drinkable for such a sturdy brew but naturally a bit too much alcohol for proper sessioning. The feel is smooth and invites slow but steady enjoyment. This was one of the better Imperial stouts I've had the pleasure of drinking. Cigar City has thoroughly impressed me thus far.

08-07-2010 19:51:01 | More by Durge
RomaniIteDomum

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Looks black with a small head that doesn't last too long. Not bad, I guess.

Smels of coffee, vanilla, cream, and some chocolate.

Taste follows the nose with some caramel thrown in there.

In the mouth it is actually deceptively creamy. Nice.

Pretty damn drinkable with no hint of alcohol. This will sneak up on you if you're not paying attention.

05-20-2010 18:57:15 | More by RomaniIteDomum
brentk56

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Arrives with a fudge brown color and a decent head that leaves a nice pattern of lacing behind

Smell: Fudge, coffee and molasses

Taste: Chocolate fudge and molasses, up front, that is joined by dark fruit and citrusy hop flavors by mid-palate; the flavors mesh nicely after the swallow and the finish has a bit of toffee, too

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: An incredibly well-balanced example of the style; kudos to Cigar City

04-03-2010 16:18:49 | More by brentk56
urwithdave

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing from notes taken on 03/20/10. Poured into a CCB snifter at the tasting room at the brewery.

A- Pours black as coal. Two fingers of a dark brown head. Excellent retention and a crazy amount of lacing left behind.

S- Big roasted malts, chocolate, and molasses.

T- Follows the nose. Lots of dark chocolate, roasted malts, and sweet molasses. This beer is heavenly. Some dark fruits are also present, however, I get more of the chocolate with every pull.

M- Nice and creamy. I really want another sip.

D- I was at the brewery at 1050 AM waiting for them to open the doors. I had 3 snifters full for breakfast. I could have kept going well into dinner!!!! I may have needed help walking, but I seriously could have polished off another 3 snifters!

04-03-2010 07:20:24 | More by urwithdave