Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008)

LiquidDegenerate, Jan 14, 2012

Schade, Jan 13, 2012

BraatenBrew, Jan 12, 2012

ucis, Jan 12, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -23.3%

750ml bottle into brandy snifter. Thanks to the generous BA who traded me this one.

A: Pours pitch black with an extremely unimpressive collection of bubbles that I guess is supposed to be considered a head. A couple of tiny soapy specs of lace were left down the glass.
S: Notes of chocolate, molasses, and a hint of toffee. Not a very smelly beer.
T: Rich notes of bitter dark chocolate, sweet fudge brownies, dark roasted malts, and a hint of caramel. I get a touch of coffee in the finish, and the aftertaste contains notes of molasses and faint earthy hops.
M: Thick body, slick and chewy mouthfeel, but almost no carbonation. This beer seriously needs some bubbles. Alcohol is hidden very well.
O: I was a bit let down by this one. The flavor is good but not very complex, and while the body is thick the carbonation is borderline watery. Hopefully this is just bottle variation, as fuller carbonation would be a drastic increase.

scottfrie, Jan 12, 2012

gratefulbeerhead, Jan 11, 2012

umopuew, Jan 11, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -7.8%

Traded for this back at BASC release. Poured into NB globe...

A- Uhhh, wow... Definitely the thickest beer I've ever poured, much more so than Hunahpu. Tints the glass brownish yellow as it holds onto the sides. Looks like oil with no head, no bubbles, no sign of life, just a raging erection in my pants...

S- This is a big badass stout alright. I think my nose just melted. Roasted barley, nice malted grain aroma. Chocolate and plums with a touch of anise. Even some coconut to round it out.

T/M- Thick as shit, holy hell. Sweet chocolate and roast initially hit my palate and a slight smoke component comes out. Alcohol really sweetens this up, but its not hot at all. As it warms it really smooths out well and isn't such a pill to swallow- because initially it is a bit much. Full, slick, chewy body with almost zero carbonation.

O- Well, this is the most RIS-y RIS I've ever had, if that makes sense? Drinks much like a meal as there were 4 of us who had trouble finishing this because it was so heavy and filling. Not necessarily the best, it IS good, but damn it's bold. Roils definitely try again, maybe put a couple years on it though...

TheGordianKnot, Jan 09, 2012

scott2269, Jan 09, 2012

tugg407, Jan 06, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours like OIL. Solid finger of brown, almost black head. Incredibly dark body with nice lace. Almost nothing looks like this.

Licorice, fennel, and some tangy, malty funk in the nose.

Bitter and charred. Lots of bitter black chocolate, sweeter malt on the aftertaste. Some of that bitterness is probably hops, but it's hard to tell.

Quite syrupy.

Remarkable. Darkest head I've seen. Brutally intense, but kinda balanced. Not 'drinkable,' but good. Everyone's favorite paradox.

zaphodchak, Jan 06, 2012

IdrinkGas, Jan 04, 2012

bpfrush, Jan 04, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -65.7%

brez8791, Jan 03, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -19.9%

This beer exhibits things that I love in an imperial stout but at the same time was surprised that I didn't enjoy it more...

Pours black as night with a solid 2 finger head; has a bit of that redish color like Huna does but not quite as good looking.
Nose; milk chocolate, a bit of roastiness.
Taste; way different than the last bottle I had, which was the under-carbonated batch from 2010. It's like a boozy milkshake, extremely one dimensional and somewhat cloyingly sweet.
Mouthfeel is super thick, chewy, and rich.

Overall; I don't know if it was just too much at the time, or if my palate has changed, but as Harrymel stated, it was somewhat of a chore to drink and I only had a third of the bottle. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, it was just too much and surprised me as I've drank nearly an entire bottle of Huna to myself and loved every sip...

pixieskid, Jan 03, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -14.6%

Vintage 2011

Wow, I don't understand how anybody can finish a bottle of this on their own. The beer pours obviously thicker than most worts, and creates a lovely dark, dark brown head that takes on a ruddy and maroon hue. The beer is black as night, and coats the glass almost as much as a Triple Bock.

Nose is dark, roasty, oaty, molasses, brown sugar, prunes and some more molasses. The flavor delivers in the same lane of experience, toss in some hints of burnt coffee and raisin.

The most overwhelming aspect of this beer is the mouthfeel. I've yet to experience anything thicker than this beer. It feels twice as dense as it looks, and rips the moisture from my mouth. It is brutally assertive in it's osmotic draw from my oral cavity.

I can't decide if this is a good beer, or simply a beer worth trying. It is certainly a beer with complexity and intrigue, but is it worth seeking? I dunno, I can't see myself wanting another bottle of this. There were two of us (thanks to pixieskid for sharing this one) and I had most of the bottle, and the last sips seemed like a chore. IMO, that should never be the case. I can say, however, that the beer tasted good, and looked lovely. The mouthfeel is sooo polarizing for me that I wonder if I would appreciate it again.

harrymel, Jan 03, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.

A - This is one of the most attractive beers I've ever seen. It pours a viscus oily pitch black abyss. Almost like syrup. There is a nice thin 1/4 of an inch dark dark brown head that sticks around for a bit with some nice dense and frothy bubbles. Almost like a cappuccino.

S - Starts off with tons of sweet molasses. There is some chocolate in there as well as some nice toffee and caramel. There is a heavy sweetness to the aroma. Slight roast and espresso notes with licorice in there.

T & M - Starts off with some slight roast and coffee notes that is then overwhelmed by tons of malt. The malt notes are quite intense with some caramel and toffee notes as well as very noticeable grain notes. There is quite a bit of licorice and some nice milk chocolate sweetness and slight dark chocolate bitterness and richness. There is some wood notes as the beer warms and the licorice and dark malt really wakes up as it warms. One of the most licorice-filled palette and noses I've ever had. The mouthfeel is very oily and chewy. Definitely a full bodied beer. It could use some more CO2.

O - The beer is very nice looking and has some nice aromas and well crafted flavors. My only complaint is the licorice. It doesn't seem as balanced as other RIS in that department. Other than that it has some nice roast and sweetness. Good beer.

JoEBoBpr, Jan 02, 2012

MrHirschybar, Jan 02, 2012
4.22/5  rDev -3.4%

750 ml bottle. Christmas gift from my dad. Enjoying a glass on this new years day.
Pours an inky blacker than black.Head is deep brown color. smoky almost. Deep espresso foam color. Gorgeous stout appearance.
Smells of 70% cocoa, espresso, licorice, burnt malt, sorghum molasses, toffee, maple, buckwheat, a nice slightly sour dark Sourdough bread undertone, pepper coffee, really nice and full.
Taste is ...wow..syrupy molasses,chocolate, coffee liqorice, coffe liqour, sweet, sticky malt blackstap molasses in big way, smoke tobacco, malt.just overall a big thick rich blend of espresso molasses smoothness.
Mouthfeel is sticky rich and full. each sip is another wave of flavor.Palate coating, low carbonation, almost too low.
Great sipper, great stout. Carbonation affects my scoring a bit, but over all another great beer fromCCB.
Thanks Dad Prost!

czfreeman, Jan 02, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750ml bottle, not sure who I got this particular bottle from, but it's either Centennial or Blazer06, either way thanks guys. Into a Stone IRS glass.

A: Probably the darkest beer I've held in my hands, completely black, no light, even around the edges of the glass. About an inch of head shows up, and it is easily the darkest brown head I've ever seen. Nice lacing left behind. Damn fine looking beer.

S: Rich chocolate, caramel malts, and a fair amount of roasted malts. Smells incredibly sweet. Lots of molasses and coffee, brown sugar and a ton of great strong dark beer smells. There's a lot going on here, but I wish it just popped a little bit more. Still, quite nice.

T: A lot like it smells, tons of sweetness. Right off the bat I get black coffee with sugar mixed in, that's exactly what it tastes like. Under that is a nice chocolate and caramel flavor that lingers just long enough to fade into coffee and burnt malts. A fair amount of bitterness wraps things up, not full on from hops, as there is some bitter burnt malt in there, but it is a nice resiny, hoppy bitterness.

M: Incredibly thick with the perfect amount of carbonation, a very fine carbonation, that really aides to making this a thick, creamy beer. Very sticky on the lips. Just about perfect here. Not boozy at all.

O: A very sweet stout, that tonight is hitting the spot. I'm not a huge fan of coffee and sugar, but with the chocolate and bit of hoppy bitterness make this really nice. Excellent dessert beer. The mouthfeel is almost exactly right, really thick, and sticky. Really a nice beer, lives up to it's reputation.

pokesbeerdude, Jan 02, 2012