Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008)
4.48/5  rDev +2.5%

2010 vintage. Poured into a snifter.

3.0 A: Black color. Aggressive pour yielded only on finger of creamy light brown head. Retention was poor, even for the ABV. No lacing.

5.0 S: Really awesome nose on this. Rich dark chocolate is plentiful. Deeply roasted espresso undertones. Lots of blackstrap molasses with caramel, lightly herbal and citrus hops, and a oaky woodiness. Black cherry with a touch of sherry. Full of the CC house flavor that works so well in their stouts.

4.5 T: Like the nose, this is complex and powerful. Dark chocolate is again the strongest flavor with molasses, caramel, and neutral malt sweetness next. Notes of vanilla, oak, cherry, and herbal hoppiness. There's hitns of sherry again, but it acts to complement the flavors. Really tasty.

4.0 M: Heavier body. Carbonation is a bit lower than I'd prefer, but not horrible. Reasonably creamy and smooth.

4.5 D: Really tasty beer. About as good as Hunahpu's.

DavoleBomb, Feb 26, 2012

Jparkanzky, Feb 22, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a pitch black with two finger's worth of a dark brown head. The head tones down to a about a half fingers worth quickly. This beer is dark as night.

S- Lots of chocolate and coffee. Hints of dark fruits as well.

T- Starts off sweet and chocolately, which then makes way to the coffee-espresso notes. The alcohol seems to be masked well for a RIS.

M- Thick and chewy, almost creamy. A great sipper, well balanced. Maybe a bit too sweet?

This is only the second beer I've tried from Cigar City, and I've enjoyed both. This is a very complex stout.

vic21234, Feb 21, 2012

chrispoint, Feb 18, 2012

Rusty18, Feb 17, 2012

dolfan54fl, Feb 17, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -7.8%

The latest edition, 2011.
Pour is so huge that I have to place it in my sink as it foams over. This head is intensely chocolate brown with a dark as night body.
Cocoa, chocolate, some bitter lemon hops, and caramel sauce in the nose.
Very, very smooth. It is sweet, but not too much, more like a chocolate milk although the hop character balances nicely so it doesn't become cloying.
This has a good body and it is sweeter than I would would like, but not sticky, as it is quite drinkable for a big beer like this without having over the top carbonation in the feel.
Moves toward a caramel, chocolate sundae topped with crushed pecans and dried Turkish figs, which makes it much better than average.

ManVersusBeer, Feb 17, 2012

cthomas78, Feb 17, 2012
4.18/5  rDev -4.3%

2011 vintage...

A: Pours a completely opaque black with two full fingers of dark mocha head. It was a pretty vigerous pour, and the head keep growing. I have to say that the foam looks incredibly creamy, and that it takes forever to settle. There is a serious amount of lacing as it drinks.

S: I'm picking up on a big raisin note, as well as burnt toast, roasted malt, caramel, and bitter dark chocolate. The raisins and stone fruits are pretty dominating, but not to the point of one dimensional.

T: I get raisin and plums right up front, that then mix with the burnt toast and roasted malt. The flavors transition into caramel as it envelops the palate. The finish is caramel, chocolate and more raisin. The burnt toast seems to linger long after I've downed a sip.

M: Full bodied beer. This beer is silky smooth. The flavor transitions are really pleasant and I'm left wanting more with each and every sip.

O: This is a really solid russian imperial stout. I don't know if I could drink a whole bottle of this in one sitting, but it's delicious. I've loved come of CCB's beers and I've hated some of their beers. This one is in the former, rather than the later.

trxxpaxxs, Feb 17, 2012

Yabev15, Feb 14, 2012

meerkat2, Feb 12, 2012

baerb69, Feb 11, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +7.6%

2011 Vintage, but I still have 2010 in the cellar.

I'm splitting this with my wife tonight, but she's playing "Dance, Dance Revolution" and working on a Flying Dog "Kujo" right now, so I'm not sure how that's going to go.

I've been wanting to try this one forever!

Served in a snifter.

A: No other way to say it: This one is pitch black! Additionally, there was not light showing through and the head was ridiculously dark as well.

S: I got lots of Imperial Stout-esqe notes on the nose: Soy sauce, LOTS of dark chocolate, figs, and cigar ash. This was fairly bright overall in terms of RISs.

T: Wow! This was an amazing blend of figs, cocoa, and ash. On the palate, I got more dark fruit than anything else. On the finish, I actually got some very bright plum notes. Pretty amazing actually.

M: Creamy and delectable, with a sweet profile that was very calculated and perfect in every way. The lacing was sticky and the carbonation was low, yet perfect in this setting.

O: I guess this is the base beer for "Hunahpu's." It exceeded my expectations in much the same way that "Hunapuh's" did.

Chaney, Feb 11, 2012

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Halcyondays, Feb 04, 2012

M27, Feb 04, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +13.3%

2010 vintage -- I've had this one in the cellar for close to 2 years and finally cracked it open.

A- Poured into a CBS snifter...black as motor oil with very little head. Nice lacing around the glass. As a WWII buff, I love the labeling.

S- Heavy coffee with a perfect amount of chocolate, some molasses and hints of vanilla. Great smell, can't wait to taste.

T- Excellent....I love stouts, and I just love this beer. A great mix of flavors. Robust layers of chocolate and coffee. The high ABV is there, but covered up with the array of flavors quite nicely. The more I drink this, the more I wish I had more.

M- Very heavy and very chewy but in a good way.

O- Hats off to Cigar City on this brew. I still love my Founders and Goose Island stouts, but this one is a big plus for the best brewery south of the Mason Dixon. Having this makes me want to try a Hunahpu even more.

mrebeka, Feb 03, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -11.9%

Huge, sticky, black as can be, super duper sweet but with enough of a roasty and coffee finish to persuade you that there's some sort of "balance." Seriously though, so so sweet. Really mouth coating and gnarly viscous with hints of berries, cherries, licorice, chocolate, and smoke. If you like sweet and super viscous imperial stouts, try and find some of this.

billshmeinke, Feb 01, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +11%

A - 25.4oz bottle courtesy of biggsbowler (thanks!). Bottle July '11. Pours like sludge. Super pitch black, monster dark brown head.

S - Coffee, dark chocolate, booze-soaked dark fruit, molasses and a little raisin. Little bit of vanilla.

T - Cocoa, chocolate truffles, slightly nutty. Dark fruit, vanilla. Fantastic.

M - Like a bucket of black paint. Carbonation has faded a little but this thing coats the mouth and stays. You can almost chew on it.

O - This is probably not only my favorite stout but also my favorite beer. Perhaps it's destiny that it's released the same month as my birthday. I'll be getting an entire case next year.

xpdrinker, Jan 30, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +2.3%

Back from a short business trip, sharing Blind Beer #6 with vickster529 as a nightcap. The suggested "glassware" is, if I understand the drawing properly, a syringe. I consider myself forewarned. A bomber into Vickie's Mad Elf snifter and my DFH snifter.

A-There's black, there's motor oil black, there's deep, opaque black. Then there's this black, which I lack the vocabulary to describe. This beer also has the darkest foamy brown head I think I have ever seen. Going out on a limb and guessing RIS for this one. Looks awesome! 5.0

S-Big and bad. Rich and roasty, tons of dark chocolate, toffee, booze soaked cherries. Outstanding. 4.5

T-Lives up to the expectations of the look and the nose. Rich, very nice roasty base, some heat that is well controlled, toasty marshmallow and huge chocolate and espresso notes. 4.5

M-Heavy but not tiring on the palate. Medium carbonation works well here. 4

O-Excellent! The perfect knockout punch after a long day of meetings and travel. This beer rocks! Tons of flavor, well controlled heat, rich flavors.4.5

sholland119, Jan 28, 2012