Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008

4.16/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks Nate for including this with a trade.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Pours an extremely dark, inky black. A two finger head of dark brown(one of darkest heads around). A good amount of lacing.

S - chocolate milk. Slight roast. Caramel. Sweet. Milky Way. Dark stone fruit.

T - lots of the same. Lots of choclate and caramel. Sticky and sweet on the lips. Sweet but not cloyingly so. Lots of toffee too. Not much in the way of hop flavor or aroma. A slight hop bitterness on the back but has melded well. Milky Way. Some stone fruit notes appears as it warms.

M - full bodied and thick, almost shake like.

D - fairly low to medium-low.

Overall, a fantastic tasting RIS. A little thicker and stickier than I like but still good. The high IBU stated doesn't come through, so I can only assume the bottle is from last year. Drinks a little cleaner when consumed on the cold side.

3.81/5  rDev -12.8%

July 2011 bottle, opened Aug 2012

A - Wow, the pour is liquid bowling ball black. Thick, creamy, milk chocolate brown head with fantastic retention and lace. Zero highlights on the solid black body.

S - Warm booze, balsamic, black molasses, toffee, savory, and anise.

T - Thick sweet molasses, burnt toast, dark roast coffee, cherry and plum fruits, toffee, dry dark chocolate, and cream.

M - Chewy mouthfeel. About as thick as they come.

O - Aggressive flavor profile; this bottle is definitely meant for sharing. It feels more over the top than in balance, which is cool if it's your thing but it's a little much for me.

3.42/5  rDev -21.7%

Cigar City Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout is an extremely thick and dark imperial stout. The flavour is huge but not in a pleasant way. They left the yeast in too long for my liking. Autolysis.

A: So so dark. Motor oil with a big creamy-looking brown head. 5

S: Malty with soy sauce and motor oil. Too much umami. 3

T: Malty with a lot going on. Vegemite. Autolysed yeast. Some chocolate and tobacco flavour. It's interesting but I didn't like it that much. 3

M: Like chocolate mousse. 5

O: 3.5

4.1/5  rDev -6.2%

750 mL bottle courtesy of FEONVDNGRTSNGRNG. It was allowed to warm some before being poured into my Firestone Walker tulip.

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout pours a solid black. There's almost four fingers of foam so dark that I could barely tell it apart from the beer when the lights were low. Head retention is fantastic, I actually started getting impatient waiting for it to finish fading. Lacing is left in thick webbing. The nose is wonderfully intense, with rich dark chocolate and potent espresso leading the way. There's also a noticeable molasses aroma, but it's definitely playing third wheel to the other two. The flavor still features plenty of chocolate and espresso, but the molasses is a bit more prominent here. Frankly, I think I like it better in more of a supporting role. There is a nice earthy hop flourish just in time for the finish. The body is nice and chewy, but I don't know if it's too full, or if the carbonation is just too low, but the mouthfeel definitely comes off as a bit syrupy at times. While excellent all the way across the board, Marshal Zhukov is one of the better straight up imperial stouts (no barrels and/or flavorings) that I've had in a while.

4.85/5  rDev +11%

Smells of deep roasted espresso, alcohol, and burnt sugar.

Taste is incredible. Just deep dark malts that coat the tongue. No alcohol taste present at all. Lots of different flavors with a chocolate aftertaste.

I bought the bottle and then stored in the refrigerator for several months, so that could have played a factor. This stuff is dark. One of the best imperial stouts I have ever tasted.

4.21/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle, no date on it but I'm probably correct to assume 2011.

The pour was one of the more oil-y and sludge like I've seen from a big stout(or any stout) with a decent size dark chocolate colored head. Really, really great to look at.

Smell: A big, beautiful smell. I'd best describe it as really, really chocolate-ly bag of raisons. A little bit of a salty/soy smell at the end. Smells a lot like many other stouts have with maybe a touch more fruit on the nose.

Taste: Wow, follows up the smell really well while adding in a really balanced coffee taste. Tastes like a liquid, coffee flavored bag of raisinets. Really tasty. Just the right amount of sweetness for me. I didn't expect as much 'fruit' as I'm getting but I really enjoy it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and silky, I'm still taking small sips as its still a little colder than I'd like it to be...but it goes down real well.

Overall: This is an amazing stout and something I will actively seek out over and over, I can't imagine what Huna tastes like if this is there lower rated big stout. A real treat and I'm glad I have another bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +3%

4.58/5  rDev +4.8%

750mL bottle. Bottled July 2011. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

Pours gleaming jet black with a most beautiful two fingers of chocolate head. Small occasional patches of lace.

Rich aromas of dark fruit, molasses and cocoa. Sweet and inviting.

Wow, this is a powerhouse of classic robust imperial stout goodness! Raisin, currant, dark chocolate, molasses, leather, cherry pit, creamed coffee and caramel. Rich and delicious, only small traces of the 11% abv.

Nailed it on the feel! Oily thick, with a small pop or carbonation. Creamy, tongue coating and heavy. A lingering sweet thick aftertaste.

Another homerun from Cigar City. One of the finest imperial stouts that I've had the pleasure of trying. I'm sure the year of aging didn't hurt anything and I'm looking forward to what the other one I have will taste like in another 6-12 months. If you can try this, you should. Fantastic.

4.18/5  rDev -4.3%

Received in trade from brewtechnik, thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a thick black color with a huge dark chocolate mousse of a head that has exceptional retention and lacing. Smells of chocolate, caramel, licorice, dark fruits, vinous, brown sugar, spicy earthy hops. Well it smells wonderful, so far so good. The flavor is big and thick. Lots of Caramel chocolate and brown sugar up front. Then some licorice and fruits move in, some sweet some tart. A bit of earth and ash come in next before a long lingering bitter dark chocolate with just a touch of oxidation. Thick thick body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet creamy silky sweet mouthfeel. Damn that a big thick beer! I'll bet that's sitting somewhere around 1.050 right now. Aside from being a bit on the sweet side this is one flavorful brew.

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%

3.5/5  rDev -19.9%

750 mL courtesy of SurlyTwinsFan pours Ten-Fidy black and viscous as hell with a frothy brown head. Surprisingly little retention and lacing though.

Nose is very fruity with a ton of tobacco, toffee and molasses.

Taste is big on the tobacco and burnt caramel. Some heavy fruit creeps in along with a distinctive roast character. Its big and thick, but I am surprised that I dont find this more enjoyable. I think the burnt sugar and molasses are a bit much for me. CCB is such an odd brewery for my palate...some of their beers that others dislike, I have loved and some of the consensus favorites I dont find appealing. Always an exciting ride though, so I wont be passing on any Cigar City offerings anytime soon.

3.76/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Notes from Saturday – 07/07/12
750ml bottle split two ways into my FW Invitational snifters
(*label is different then the one portrayed above)

Thanks Allen!

A: Pours plenty thick and jet black in color with just the slightest edge of dark mahogany brown. Minimal head that is reddish-brown, nearing maroon, in color. Probably the darkest head I have ever seen on a stout. Very espresso like. Struggling retention and some oily alcohol streak.

S: Smells of very deep roast grain with a nice mix of tobacco leaf, soy sauce, and blackstrap molasses. There are also some hints of licorice root and dark chocolates. Interesting nose. Not bad but the soy aroma is a bit profuse. Not much alcohol evident in the nose either for such a big RIS.

T: Tastes of intense roasted grains with a bit of fudge brownie and a pervasive treacle note to the point that I feel it may have been an actual ingredient used here. Gives off a sweet and tart fermented soy flavor that takes a little getting used to. There are some lesser notes of campfire mallows, black licorice, and a bit of espresso-infused truffle that perks as the beer warms up a bit. Upper level of bitterness with a dose of earthy hop flavors. The alcohol is warming but quite well hidden here. Quite rich and unique. Probably not for everyone.

M: Body is full with a super smooth and creamy texture that lends to a much lighter feel. Really one of the highlights in the overall drinking experience. Carb seems on the lower side. Some nice lingering after coat on the palate.

D: To be opened with friends. A big, rich, and complex RIS with some real unique flavors. Although this one would be difficult to finish all 750ml alone. My tasting partner was not a fan given the soy sauce like accents. The brew develops a bit more of the espresso notes towards room temp which I found nice. All things considered, really well crafted with the 11% alcohol hidden.

Very glad for the opportunity to try this one.

4.11/5  rDev -5.9%

I've been sitting on this one for a while, and since I've recently moved, most of my beer is wrapped in newspapers so I've been playing a blind game of catch, grab and drink. Review is from notes taken on 7/8/2012 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Possibly one of the most impressive RISs I've come across, this one does indeed pour like spent motor oil - just as black as black can be, and the head is almost as dark and impressive, coming in at a whopping three fingers and fading lazily down to a full and firm cap; impossible to see through, but I'm sure the carbonation is plenty full considering the amount of carb on the crack and the full head;

Smell: Lots of big and dark fruit, but I think there may be a mild infection as it's a little sour and tart in the nose; big chocolate malts and a very earthy and big roastiness; still a bit of an herbal, bitter hop presence as well, but should be expected since it's got 80 IBUs.

Taste: I think I'm right about the infection -- the tart, sour dark cherry flavor is there, but it's not major (like in the case of Abyss); the syrupy and bittersweet chocolate is there, and the burnt coffee grains play a major role in the array of flavors; also a bit of the hops linger and have a bit of an earthy and slightly citric bite to them.

Mouthfeel: Thick, chewy and gritty -- the mouth is covered with a thick and sticky coating; teeth have a gritty feel afterwards; gums and tummy are left especially warm and tingly from the bigger ABV of 11%. Along with the appearance, the mouthfeel is probably the most impressive aspect of the beer.

Overall: A really good stout, overall, but definitely a sipper and something that you only want once in a while. I probably should have saved this for a cooler night as opposed to an evening in July... in Atlanta... but I'm glad I'm drinking it in the cool confines of the air conditioning anyway.

3.5/5  rDev -19.9%

3.75/5  rDev -14.2%

4.63/5  rDev +5.9%

750 mL bottle shared w/ one other

A - As dark and rich as BA Yeti was, this takes that to an insane new level. Beer clops out of the bottle in chunks and coats the glass like used oil. Blacker than Batman. The head is darkest brown I've seen since big brother Hunahpu.

S - Just an incredible display of roasted malts, this is a very straightforward stout that emphasizes the art of malt selection.

T - Again this stout is the perfect showcase of the roasted malt combined with sweetness. So balanced, this can be, and is, used as a basis for all kinds of incredible barrel aging and secondary fermentations for good reason. They perfected the malt flavors and went from there.

M - Thicker than anything I've had in over a year. This stuff has to be chewed. Perfect finish.

O - Overall this beer is incredible. I've already gone into it, the beer is the perfect imperial stout. I need to try every variant, and every Hunahpu. This beer re-affirmed my adoration of Hunahpu's. WOW.

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing