Microbrew Invitational

Availability: Summer

Added by BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008

Reviews: 531 | Ratings: 2,551
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Arrives pitch black with a small, dense head the color of cocoa powder. Head dissipates to a thin film covering.
Smell is full of semisweet chocolate, malt, dark fruits, oak and wet cardboard. Very well balanced.
Taste is roasted malts, rum, dark chocolate, dark fruit. Lighter notes of oak and coffee. Very complex and well balanced.
Rich, very full-bodied. Extremely light effervescence. Thick almost to the point of being cloying but not quite getting there, thankfully. Smooth, this brew slides down your throat like liquid velvet. Unexpectedly, there was no warming from this 11% abv beer.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Centennial for this bottle!

Poured into a snifter.

A- poured thick and viscous, almost motor oil consistency, deep black lacquer color with a two-finger cocoa-colored head that left significant lacing.

S- cherries and chocolate

T- chocolate, faint hoppiness and cherries in the front. Maltiness, dark chocolate and roasted malt in the middle. Cherries, dried fruit, dark chocolate and a hint of mandarin orange at the tail-end

m- thick with a fair amount of carbonation. Went down incredibly smooth.

O- This is a solid stout. I did get a little overzealous and try it before allowing it to warm and would not recommend drinking this too cold; it is much better at fifty degrees, or so. I would love to get some more of this sometime in the near future!

4.58/5  rDev +7%

holy shit thats a thick, dark pour. I swear its coming out in chunks. a very dark head that is the color of coffee with just one creamer added. it sticks around a bit and leaves behind wonderful lacing.

first aroma is black strap molasses backed up with tons of chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, some firewood, a bit of charcoal (not smoky, though). an intoxicating aroma.

a woody flavor comes out first with black strap molasses, pure cacao, burnt dark roast coffee. maybe a bit of licorice and definitely some charcoal. so rich. This beer is gonna last me all night.

one of the thickest beers I have come across. carbonation is spot on as well as it makes its presence known, but does not take away from the creaminess.

wow. Thanks to Retail1LO for sending this my way. I definitely like this one better than the Parabola I traded for it (though thats no slouch either!) gotta get my hands on more of this. As well as more Cigar City beers. Judging only by this example, they may have worked out the carbonation/quality assurance kinks they had previously.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance:
Motor oil black stout covered by a dense brown head. Completely opaque with sticky lacing that runs slowly down the glass leaving an amber oily coating. The head was initially deep, dark brown, but lightened up with time. This is definitely a beer that you can swirl around and be mesmerized by the different images that become etched within the beer's everlasting head.

Smell:
Very strong bitterness with pungent alcohol as well. This is a stout where the alcohol potency takes over. There is a slight sweetness, but it's subtle in comparison.

Taste:
Surprisingly balanced and appropriate to drink in the 50 degree range. The alcohol is strong, but the residual bitterness leaves your taste buds stunned and begging for mercy. Rich, bold flavors make this stout more desirable than other "stouts" in its class.

Mouthfeel:
Strong bitterness and alcohol counterbalance each other, but is thinned out by ample carbonation. I really like the smooth creaminess of this beer and have no problems with the lingering bitterness. I'm happy to drink a stout that's black like coffee, but doesn't actually have any in it (so I can go to sleep after drinking). This is one of the stouts that once you've had, you'll never go back to a watered down, "lesser than" stout again.

Overall:
This is a delicious beer with strong notes of roasted coffee bean and bitter African cocoa. Very sticky and sweet while having potent bitterness and ethanol to counterbalance. When the beer is allowed to warm, it's even better with stronger sweetness and a warmer mouthfeel. This beer is worth trying, but hard to come by! I would love CCB distribution in NY!

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

2011 bottle poured into a DHF chalice. Thanks urwithdave, I've wanted to try this guy for a while now and just hadn't gotten around to trading for it.

A - Perfect. Pours like I'm topping my car off with a liter of oil. So dark, so thick. A dark, chocolate colored head slowly rises from the 12oz line to the top of the chalice. As time passes and sips occur, the head retains at 1/4" or a little less. Beautiful. This is exactly how I want all of my RIS to pour.

S - Before any sips, I was getting roasted malts with a very mild amount of hops in the background. As it warmed, I picked up on some sweetness. As I drank and as it continued to warm, the sweetness turned to dark fruits / roasted malts. Pretty good aroma all around. My wife described it as shoving your face into a bag of chocolate covered raisins. I can agree with this assessment. Nothing great stands out at me though and makes me think, "I need to try this right now."

T - Sweetness upfront and then the whole way through, finishing with roasted malts and a slight hint of what I'd call slightly burnt coffee. Sweet, creamy middle flavor. Finish is dry. Upon further investigation (2nd sip), I think I'm getting some hops here. As I get further into the glass, I get sweet dark fruits -> mild hops -> sweet roasted malts. The sweetness is evident, but not overpowering. The more I drink this, the more I really enjoy it. I am going to finish this bottle without issue. Not a lot of complexities, but a very nice drink.

M - Oh yes, this is how I like my RIS. I'll put this one up there with the appearance...perfect. Thick, creamy, full. RIS should have to be at least this thick to compete. Drinkability isn't really dinged here for me, but that is just my opinion.

O - I really like this beer. It is unique in that I think it hits the middle ground of two categories of RIS: thick/sweet and thick/hoppy. It stands out among most peers. Balance isn't perfect, but it is good. Of course, I'm comparing it to other "fresh" bottles of RIS to be fair. $12? Really? I'd buy as case, annually, if I lived in Tampa. I think the fact that this is available on the shelves holds it back on many people's scales, but I think it would fare very well in a blind taste test.

4.06/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours black as night with a brown head and awesome retention. Great looking beer.

Smell: Sweet and roasty with some dark fruit notes as well as some faint vanilla.

Taste: Quite sweet. Hints of dark chocolate and dark fruit along with the roast. Very smooth with a mildly hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick and a bit syrupy. The carbonation is mild and smooth and the finish is slick.

Overall: A bit sweet but very good. I thought everything blended together quite well. I would definitely have this one again.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to Centennial for sending me this one!

Bottle has a hand written date of 7/15/11 on it.

The bottle has a new label so it must be the newest release. It also states 11% ABV compared to the 11.5% listed on BA.

Pours a thick pitch black with a huge 3 inch intensely dark khaki head that settles into a dome of foam. A nice latticework of lace slowly clings to the glass on the drink down. Smell is of rich dark chocolate, cocoa powder, subdued espresso/coffee, cinnamon, and some roasted malt. Taste is of dark roasted malt, bittersweet baker's chocolate, roasted espresso/coffee beans, and some molasses flavors. There is a roasty and hop bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer is extremely thick and creamy in the mouth. The ABV is hidden pretty well in the smell and taste. Overall, this is a good RIS that is very rich and makes for a slow sipper. I am glad I finally got to try one of these.

2.81/5  rDev -34.3%

I was really excited for this one. Poured a few ounces into a small snifter.

It looks like a big stout, but it had an interesting red hue to it in the light, and around the edges. No head, but not to be expected.

I got almost nothing in the smell. A hint of cocoa and roasted malt, but only a hint.

I love a good RIS, but this just didn't do it for me. Up front was cocoa, or almost a bakers chocolate taste that was very intense and not my favorite thing about this beer. Middle of the tongue was the roasted malts, which I thought tasted good, but on the back end it was a strange dark fruit taste that did not work for me. Maybe a plum? A date? Either way, this was not pleasant as it lingered until the next sip.

Mouthfeel was fine. I liked the soft texture. Reminded me of Brunch Weasel that way. I managed to finish the bottle, but I have to say drinkability is very low on this one. I will not be seeking this out again. The price is also something that will keep me away from trying this again.

For me, this was not what I expected, and in all the worst ways. There are so many six and four packs of this style that are more affordable than a single bottle of this and taste much better, in my opinion.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

750 ml bottle, vintage 2011. Split between myself and three other friends, poured into four tulip glasses. After having Hunahpu's I was hoping it didn't ruin Zhukov's for me.

A: Thick and sludgy looking black pour. Medium brown colored head with really outstanding retention and lacing. It's thick, dark and really a great looking beer. The signature Russian Imperial Stout look from CC I'm gathering.

S: Very bold and roasted notes coming off; coffee, chocolate, toasted malts and bitter toffee. A touch of molasses comes through towards the back end of the aroma. It's very nice and although it has a wide variety of miniscule notes in it, the roast profile seems to be leading this down a one-dimensional path.

T: My initial reaction was that this is sweet, and it is. Big chocolate roast, bitter coffee and molasses notes hit first. Coming in towards mid-palate is a touch of anise, with roasted malts in the finish. The sweetness though lasts the entire time and after a while this beer got to be too much for me. I love big RIS but this is missing a serious balance.

M: Creamy, fairly thick, full-bodied with some lower carbonation. There's nothing wrong here other than it finishes a bit more dry than I like, even with its sweet characteristics.

Perhaps I was jaded by the outstanding complexity in the Hunahpu's but this just didn't live up to my expectations. It was a nice sipper with the right elements, but it was a bit too sweet and unbalanced. Perhaps some time in the bottle will do this beer justice but as it stands now, I'm not the biggest fan.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at The Imperial.

Thick molasses pour, producing a muddy onyx-colored body topped by one and one-half fingers of dark mocha froth; excellent duration and rings of lacing leave me very impressed.

Marshal Zhukov emits good, solid aromas of chocolate, roasted coffee, molasses, and some hazelnut. Wonderful taste, loaded with coffee, dark chocolate, a hint of berry in thew finish, and toffee. Bitter to start, the finish is surprisingly smooth to sweet. Creamy texture, somewhat light as well (not Guinness like, but a little airier than I anticipated) make this thoroughly enjoyable.

Splendid RIS, a very fine representative of the style and a great introduction to Cigar City's wares. I am glad I got a draft of Marshal Zhukov, for soon after I ordered mine, the keg spat empty and The Imperial added a different brew. This might have added to the muddiness, which I loved, though likely not much.

One of the better RIS I have had in some time. Recommended with gusto.

3.91/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Pours an oily, tar-like impenetrable black with 1 finger of chestnut brown, fine-laced head that dissipates slowly. A nice thick layer of creamy lacing clings to the side of the glass and does not let go. Extremely impressive!

N: Espresso, rich toffee, molasses, roasted barley, bittersweet chocolate and hints of citrusy hops.

T: Rich toffee, chalky bittersweet chocolate, roasted barley and hints of Fruity Pebbles upfront. This is followed by molasses, toffee, roasted barley and some citrus notes. Finishes bitter with espresso, dark chocolate, peanut and more toffee.

M: Full bodied, chewy, creamy, chalky, sticky, syrupy and dry.

O: This beer is strange because it achieves a huge, sweet maltiness with toffee and roasted notes throughout and yet it has a rather prominent fruity hop profile that would normally just balance everything out. Yet it is extremely sweet and bitter at the same time. The appearance and mouthfeel are extremely impressive. This is one beautiful looking beer! Very deep, rich, sweet and complex yet I'm not overly excited about the fruity hop profile.

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks sendsilk!

Dark as night black pour. Brown and khaki colored head with lots of lacing down the glass.

Roasted malts, coffee, licorice, some alcohol, and lots and lots of chocolate in the nose. Chocolate lovers would go crazy for this!

A chocolatey stout for sure! Lots of chocolate, roasted malt, stinging licorice, and some coffee round out this big stout. Incredibly sweet though, and that would be my only complaint. I wish the chocolate would come in its more bitter form, but sweet chocolate lovers would gladly geek out over this! (Can you believe I was lucky enough to pair this with Green Flash Double Stout chocolate brownies? Yum yummm!) Too sweet for my tastes, yet still delicious!

Rich, thick, and full mouthfeel. Decadent.

A delicious chocolate stout I can't wait to have again, though it's too sweet to become one of my favorites.

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Had this on tap during my visit to CCB. Beer was poured into a CCB snifter.

A: pitch black body with a creamy one finger chocolate milk colored head and beautiful viscous lacing as the beer goes down.

S: strong aromas of coffee, dark chocolate and roasted malts that cordially invite you to sip on this beer. Amazing.

T: follows the nose very closely with a thick presence of coffee, dark chocolate milkshake, brownies and lots of roasted malts. Slight sweet aftertaste that ends up begging your palate to go back for some more. Complex taste, yet very well executed; this is an amazing Imperial Stout.

M: I've never had something like this before. Smooth, creamy, soft, thick, and sticky mouthfeel. Let me mention the word smooth again because that's the keyword to describe this. Full body with low carbonation, the high alcohol level is not really felt at all.

O: Best qualities are the taste and the mouthfeel; this beer is an example of how to set the bar high...really high for Imperial Stouts. It was a pleasure enjoying this beer from start to finish, it's the perfect "dessert" beer if you ask me. God bless CCB.

poured into a heffe glass just for grins... pours thick motor oil black!!! with a deep brown thick foamy head about 3 in. with lace. maybe my glass was the prob. but the head retention lasts forever.

smells of sweet malt and bitter chocolate some pine and citrus hops also noted... mmmm i can't wait! slight alcohol notes toward the end barely...

where to begin... how about WOW!!!! everything i have been hoping this beer would be. complex and big as hell!!! malt sweetness to start with a light almost milky vanilla flavor then abrupt bitter coffee takes over... then a pause with dark cherry features and then come the hops.... floral and then almost piney. amazing complexity!!!

MY FIRST ALL 5 BEER!!! just noticed that!
mouth feel is thick and creamy that allows flavors to linger.

Overall i am very impressed with this beer... totally worth the $16 i paid for the 1 pint 9.4oz bomber. YOU NEED TO TRY THIS BEER!!!! i have been waiting and searching all over for this one and it lived up and beyond my own hype!!!

just noticed this is my first ALL 5 BEER!!!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a bomber into my tulip. 2011 vintage.

A – Black. Beyond black. Huge 3 fingers of creamy deep dark brown head that just clings to the glass. Looks like chocolate egg cream froth.

S – Dark chocolate, toffee, molasses, coffee, vanilla.

T – Huge and heavy roasted malts immediately. Full dark chocolate taste right after but not making this overly sweet. It is there but its not a super sweet stout. Vanilla and molasses present. Has a nice bitter effect at the end. Warming alcohol finishes it off.

M – Thick and creamy. It totally coats your mouth from corner to corner. Viscous is the word. Nice.

O – Excellent stout. Its got a great complex taste. Leaves you wanting more. Was an easy drinker considering the ABV. Glad I bought a few of these.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

2010 bottle courtesy of korguy123. Thanks!
Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Poured ink black. One of the blackest beers I have ever seen. Not too much head formed but there was a small amount of espresso coloured head.

S - Cocoa, molasses, coffee, some licorice and hints of dark fruit.

T - Cocoa, roasted malts, molasses, coffee, licorice and faint notes of dark fruit. Fairly sweet. Very complex.

M - Medium body, somewhat viscous at times but somewhat lighter at other times. The carbonation was very light; almost somewhere between flat and light carbonation. A little more carbonation would have really made a difference here.

O - An excellent RIS. Aside from the slight carbonation issue, not much to complain about here.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

200th review! Shared two pours on draft with my brother on his 30th bday.

A: black as night with a finger of dark brown head. Strong, sticky lace beckons your return to Mother Russia.

S: semi-sweet baker's chocolate, strong roasted malts, sweet malt, hints of both lactose and booze.

T: chocolatey with mild sweetness; roasted malt backbone holds its ground, contributing to a dry boozy finish. Not as complex as I was hoping, but solid for what it is.

M: holy molasses, Batman! Most viscous beer I'd had before this beast was Dark Lord 2010, and even that cannot compare to the hearty milkshake that is Zhukov. Seriously, this could be labeled as a boozy chocolate float and nobody would think twice.

D: easy drinking on the alcohol front; mild boozy warmth as it descends. However, a beer this heavy takes a toll on your stomach as it stuffs your body with chocolatey goodness. One 12oz pour filled me up to the brim.

Great beer, epic heartiness! Yet another impressive brew from Cigar City.

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%

A-pours oliy black with a nice thick dark brown head...honestly the prettiest looking beer i have ever seen.

S-smells like a really dark yet creamy mocha. some spice and even some hops. strong scent, great scent

T-this is a great stout. comes in with a very thick and sweet taste of dark chocolate and espresso. some spice, maybe cinnamon? it is so thick, it feels like it almost solidifies and turns in to mousse in your mouth. has a powerful and long lasting after-taste of espresso and cocoa nibs. its a complex and great taste.

M-really thick medium but soft carbonation with a good crisp finish

O-i'm glad i shared this one. its one powerful stout! it starts out so great and mysterious but the more you drink it, the more the complexity seems to dull. its definitely a classic, and i look forward to my next bottle!

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%

Cheers again to Ehammond1 for sharing this bottle

Look: Black with a huge brown head maybe the darkest head I have ever seen and good retention and lacing

Smell: Oatmeal coffee and chocolate

Taste: Taste of chocolate brownies mixed with a gourmet coffee

Mouthfeel: Full body low carbonation with a very sticky finish

Overall: Very good dessert beer

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 bottle with a year of age on it.

A - Black with a nice beep brown small(ish)head.

S - Big. roasty, chocolate, malty

T - Like the nose. Chocolate, roasty, coffee, malty. Very smooth.

M - Very thick, slightly oily. Coats the mouth.

O - Very good. Up there witht the best imperial stouts.

4.56/5  rDev +6.5%

2011 release poured at cellar temp into my Founder's snifter,

A: B E A utiful! Deep, dark brown. 2 finger mocha head that is slow to recede. Lots of sticky lacing. One of the best looking stouts I have ever seen.

S: Roasted, chocolately malt.

T: Just like it smells. Deep, dark, silky, roasted chocolate.

M: The thickest, chewiest, creamiest stout I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. This make this one stand out.

O: One of the top 3 non-BA stouts I have had. CCB deserves the acclaim it gets for the stouts they produce.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

2011 vintage poured into southampton snifter

Pours thick and completely black with a very dark brown head. The smell seems muted the only thing really coming through is a sort of burnt malt scent. The taste on the otherhand is very pleasant like a sort of mocha iced coffee with a slight warming alcohol sensation. Mouthfeel is what a good imperial stout should be thick and coating with just enough carbonation. Overall a very good sipper, glad I got a few to age.

4.41/5  rDev +3%

This is the first beer I sawed out when we moved to Clearwater Fl.

Poured into snifter.Probably the heaviest looking beer I have ever poured. Opague black with a heading just a few shades lighter then the beer itself. Lacing is all over the place very nice clumpage.

Nose is simple. Heavy roasted malts,slight touch of mocha but barely noticeable under the assault of dark roasted malts.

Taste is superb.Again a very heavy roasted malt fills the mouth and just unloads all over the palate.A slightly sweeter molasses takes over for a nice second or two.Finishes with a nice hop bite with a slight fruity touch.

Mouth is about the smoothest and creamiest stout I have ever had. Big full body and a very thick molasses chew make this somewhat a chore to sip but I love it.

An excellent beer. Now at first I was wanting to move to Florida because of the beaches but I remembered Cigar City and now there are two big reasons.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was lucky enough to get a glass of this at the Ginger Man in NYC when I was in the city for one night. Served in a snifter, this is probably the darkest stout I have seen to date.

Had a small dark mocha colored head that faded very quickly, but did leave lacing on the side of the glass. I detected a hint of smoke on a predominantly coffee nose, but I couldnt wait to taste this beer.

Worth every bit of attention that this beer receives, the taste and mouthfeel is where this beer shines. A little thick, almost treacly feel that really allows you to pick up on all the tastes that this beer has to offer. Will be searching it out in the future!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage. Poured from 750 ml bottle into an efes snifter. Tudor brown head, decent retention. Oily, clear lacing slides down the glass. Aroma consists of roasted malt, coffee, slight alcohol, even a touch of bacony smoke. Taste includes coffee, faint chocolate, slight underlying sweet malt and roasted malt. Mouthfeel is very, very thick and viscous. Certainly more amazing upon warming. Spectacular.

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing