Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008

Reviews: 501 | Hads: 2,386
3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

2010 bottle drank at Big Bad Stout Tasting out of a snifter.

Pours a Jet black with hints of red around the edges of beer. No head whatsoever remind me of coffee with no bubbles. Smeels of slight tobacco and roasted malts nothing else really going on. I did like the slitty smoky taste and roosted malts with a bit of a coffee finish. I did like the fact Zuhkov was very thick, rich and creamy. Definitely a sipper for me. I preferred this RIS then his offspring Hunaphu's. (474 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Notes from Saturday – 07/07/12
750ml bottle split two ways into my FW Invitational snifters
(*label is different then the one portrayed above)

Thanks Allen!

A: Pours plenty thick and jet black in color with just the slightest edge of dark mahogany brown. Minimal head that is reddish-brown, nearing maroon, in color. Probably the darkest head I have ever seen on a stout. Very espresso like. Struggling retention and some oily alcohol streak.

S: Smells of very deep roast grain with a nice mix of tobacco leaf, soy sauce, and blackstrap molasses. There are also some hints of licorice root and dark chocolates. Interesting nose. Not bad but the soy aroma is a bit profuse. Not much alcohol evident in the nose either for such a big RIS.

T: Tastes of intense roasted grains with a bit of fudge brownie and a pervasive treacle note to the point that I feel it may have been an actual ingredient used here. Gives off a sweet and tart fermented soy flavor that takes a little getting used to. There are some lesser notes of campfire mallows, black licorice, and a bit of espresso-infused truffle that perks as the beer warms up a bit. Upper level of bitterness with a dose of earthy hop flavors. The alcohol is warming but quite well hidden here. Quite rich and unique. Probably not for everyone.

M: Body is full with a super smooth and creamy texture that lends to a much lighter feel. Really one of the highlights in the overall drinking experience. Carb seems on the lower side. Some nice lingering after coat on the palate.

D: To be opened with friends. A big, rich, and complex RIS with some real unique flavors. Although this one would be difficult to finish all 750ml alone. My tasting partner was not a fan given the soy sauce like accents. The brew develops a bit more of the espresso notes towards room temp which I found nice. All things considered, really well crafted with the 11% alcohol hidden.

Very glad for the opportunity to try this one. (1,963 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a Brooklyn Brewery tulip on 4/25/11.

Pours a black oil color with no head. When swirled there is a nice brown resin that coats the glass nicely. I would like to see some head, any head at all. Nice color but disappointed with the pour.

Smells of roasted malts, sweet chocolate and the slightest of coffee in the background. I would have liked some more chocolate and coffee on this aroma. Strikes me as slightly above average but not great.

Taste is lots of roasted malts and sweet chocolate to start. Chocolate bitterness is also present as well as some distinct fruit flavors in the background. Good taste.

Mouthfeel is what really knocks this bee. No carbonation makes it just feel heavy and milky. Resin sticks nicely but leaving good bitter chocolate and coffee flavors but this really misses the mouthfeel mark and I think that really takes away from all the other aspects of this brew. To bad.

Overall this is a decent beer. The zero carb really throws the taste/mouthfeel characteristic off and while it is good it falls into a region of one and done for me. FIx the no head carbonation mouthfeel problem and this would be an "A" brew. (1,160 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I bought this bottle at the brewery. I'm drinking one now and will try and pick up another one to age.

It's super-black with a deep brown head.

The smell is of roasted malt with hints of molasses and alcohol.

This is a rich RIS, but it's not cloying. Flavors mix to make a typical complex taste.

The body is wonderfully slick.

Overall this is a fine RIS and another good beer from Cigar City. It's a seasonal release, so get one while you can. (448 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2013 bottle- this was pretty bad, I'm wondering if the guy I got it from didn't cellar it properly.... Either way, I wish it had been drank fresher, this was a waste. (166 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

Picked up a couple bottles of MZ 2014 and decided to drink one now and cellar the other bottle. I had high expectations for this RIS being a big fan of Cigar City but was underwhelmed. Although it has a nice jet black color and layer of tannish foam the aroma did not appeal to me. Smells very boozy and I pick up some notes of licorice and tobacco but they are overpowered by the boozy smell. The taste again was very boozy which didn't allow me to fully appreciate the chocolate, tobacco and licorice flavors. I also found the bitterness to be too much (I like hoppy beers so it's not that I don't like a bitter beer in general). Again, it overpowers the other flavors and doesn't do much for the balance. I'm going to cellar my second bottle for a year or two and maybe all the flavors will come together and offer a completely different/better beer. (860 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

750ml bottle shared with KRAMER17801 and brewslut on 4/9/10.

A - Poured a black, oily mass with a minimal burnt tan head that eventually vanished completely.

S - Interesting blend of tobacco, leather, smoked jerky, leafy and peppery hop notes, licorice and molasses, which all combines to give this RIS an utterly complex nose, despite the absence of apparent chocolate or coffee notes.

T - Leathery initial flavor with a slight burnt, smoked meat flavor. There is a slight chocolate and coffee presence, but both are overshadowed by thick molasses and bitter licorice notes. Segues into quite a hoppy experience in the backend with leafy, earthy notes, tobacco and more bitter licorice attributes.

M - Full bodied and slick with a fair amount of carbonation. Finishes with a lingering leafy, chingy hop bitterness on the palate.

D - Marshal Zhukov is definitely one intensely bold RIS with complex flavors and aromas. While this wasn't one of my favorite Cigar City releases, I still appreciate the deviation from the typical chocolate and coffee-infused stouts out there. (1,080 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -12%

Thanks again to Bhalter8 for hooking this one up. Out of the bottle and into the glass it pours like used motor oil, thick viscous and black as night. The head is almost two fingers of burnt chocolate looking foam. This is a dark beer. The nose is roasted malts, nuts? and booze. The taste is sweet, malty sugary goodness. Light chocolate and toffee, pretty dry in the finish with a hint of coffee. Full body. Very rich and very thick. Maybe too rich to finish a whole 750ml bottle alone. This one is a beast fresh, but it seems like it could stand the test of time with the best of them. (588 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

Bottle shared by either mfielden or nick3 at a recent Cigar City tasting - can't remember exactly who provided this one as there were a ton of Cigar City beers.

Pours completely pitch black, and it's even more black in the glass. A thick finger of dark brown head forms and retains very well. Cigar City know how to make an impressive-looking imperial stout, I'll give them that.

The aroma is tar-like, intensely roasty, ashy, burnt. Unsweetened chocolate and anise come to mind. Blackened, burnt. This borders on being horribly acrid, but it manages to remain somewhat pleasant; it really is right on that fine line though.

The taste is, unsurprisingly, massively roasty and charred, with quite a bit of tartness and acidity from the enormous amount of dark malt. Cherries, burnt bread, tar, charcoal. This is intense, but it's surprisingly tasty. While it's not something I'd care to drink often or in quantities larger than 3 ounces, it's a pretty decent little beer. Condolences to Overlord for drinking an entire bottle solo. (1,033 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

750 ml bottle, vintage 2011. Split between myself and three other friends, poured into four tulip glasses. After having Hunahpu's I was hoping it didn't ruin Zhukov's for me.

A: Thick and sludgy looking black pour. Medium brown colored head with really outstanding retention and lacing. It's thick, dark and really a great looking beer. The signature Russian Imperial Stout look from CC I'm gathering.

S: Very bold and roasted notes coming off; coffee, chocolate, toasted malts and bitter toffee. A touch of molasses comes through towards the back end of the aroma. It's very nice and although it has a wide variety of miniscule notes in it, the roast profile seems to be leading this down a one-dimensional path.

T: My initial reaction was that this is sweet, and it is. Big chocolate roast, bitter coffee and molasses notes hit first. Coming in towards mid-palate is a touch of anise, with roasted malts in the finish. The sweetness though lasts the entire time and after a while this beer got to be too much for me. I love big RIS but this is missing a serious balance.

M: Creamy, fairly thick, full-bodied with some lower carbonation. There's nothing wrong here other than it finishes a bit more dry than I like, even with its sweet characteristics.

Perhaps I was jaded by the outstanding complexity in the Hunahpu's but this just didn't live up to my expectations. It was a nice sipper with the right elements, but it was a bit too sweet and unbalanced. Perhaps some time in the bottle will do this beer justice but as it stands now, I'm not the biggest fan. (1,568 characters)

Vintage 2011

Wow, I don't understand how anybody can finish a bottle of this on their own. The beer pours obviously thicker than most worts, and creates a lovely dark, dark brown head that takes on a ruddy and maroon hue. The beer is black as night, and coats the glass almost as much as a Triple Bock.

Nose is dark, roasty, oaty, molasses, brown sugar, prunes and some more molasses. The flavor delivers in the same lane of experience, toss in some hints of burnt coffee and raisin.

The most overwhelming aspect of this beer is the mouthfeel. I've yet to experience anything thicker than this beer. It feels twice as dense as it looks, and rips the moisture from my mouth. It is brutally assertive in it's osmotic draw from my oral cavity.

I can't decide if this is a good beer, or simply a beer worth trying. It is certainly a beer with complexity and intrigue, but is it worth seeking? I dunno, I can't see myself wanting another bottle of this. There were two of us (thanks to pixieskid for sharing this one) and I had most of the bottle, and the last sips seemed like a chore. IMO, that should never be the case. I can say, however, that the beer tasted good, and looked lovely. The mouthfeel is sooo polarizing for me that I wonder if I would appreciate it again. (1,275 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

August 2009 750 ml bottle. Heeded the bottles advice to not open until January or February. Gave a bit more time even.

A: Well if that isn't the darkest head I've ever seen. The beer itself is black as night of course. Head is actually retaining a bit here. Sort of angled up against the edge of the glass with the middle dissipating. Can't get over how dark the head is itself.

S: When the bottle cracked open I immediately was hit with a tobacco, earthy herb type aroma. Almost smelled like a cigar laced with a bouquet garni. The beer in the glass smells very, very roasty. Has a burnt toast aroma with a good heap of charred wood as well. Some vanilla and bourbon are there as well. Alcohol seems to hide behind the burnt aroma. Just seems as if the malts have hit the limit on their toasting. There is a slight floral hop smell as well, but in the forefront are the malts for sure.

T: Burnt wood on the palate as well, makes me wonder what is lending this flavor to the beer. Tastes oak aged, although it's not. Has a bitter chocolate flavor that accentuates the burnt flavor. Hops begin to lend a helping hand with the bitterness of this beer. Very earthy, herbaceous hop flavor. I almost expect more sweetness, but this is a nice flavor profile. There are notes of whiskey, vanilla, wood, herbs, tobacco and some nearly burnt molasses. Black strap I believe it's called.

M: Feels very heavy sitting on the tongue, nice and syrupy. Carbonation is also more present than most RIS's. Just a very different experience and take on a RIS.

D: Tough to take larger sips of this beer. Some of the flavor can be overwhelming if taken in high doses. Just a bit too burnt and bitter for a RIS in my eyes. (1,707 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

Reviewed on 1/16/2010. Bottle. Pours a viscous black with a small dark tan-reddish head. Aroma of alcohol, dark chocolate, roasted malt. Flavor of tons of roasted malt and some bitter chocolate in the finish. Rich and decadent. The 11% makes itself well-known but overall, this was quite a tasty beer! (301 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Dark brown/black opaque, color of old engine oil.
Thin med brown head, very fine, small bubbles.
Nice persistant lace on the inside of a snifter.

Aroma is alchohol with some hop. Slight notes of dark fruit.

Taste is upfront hop bitterness with chocolate coming through also.
Bittnerness lingers a little too long into the finish.

Body is med full to full. Some creaminess, but overshadowed by bitterness/astringency.

Good beer for end of night. Well constructed, but a little much on hop bitterness. Would not drink whole 22oz bottle in one sitting.
This will improve with aging as the flavors meld. (603 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed at Capones with Stephy and Speedway Jim.

Appearance: jet black with no head

Smell: Sweet over roasted coffee.

Taste: Opens with dark roasted coffee as a sweet raisin emerges in the middle -end as simcoe /piney hops become more apparent in the middle as the brew warms leaving a piney and malty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, smooth and coarse at times with minimal carbonation

Drinkability: I would have this again but on another day. I recommend this to someone who wants a coffee open as malts and piney hops finish the brew. (548 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -13.6%

Tried this one at a tasting and thought it was a decent beer. Let's do an official review for my, iced-in in Georgia saga this week. 750ml...

A: Well, sheesh, after a very rigorous pour of this black and thick as motor oil liquid, I get absolutely no head whatsoever! Ok.

S: I get some black licorice and booze upfront immediately. quickly followed by cocoa and vanilla blended with molasses in the middle and some stick honey and sugary malts on the back. Decent.

T: Very sweet upfront almost like an iced tea at first which is quickly buried by a bitter roastiness. Some black licorice and cocoa in the middle with some nice caramel malt hidden on the back. This is a very sticky and thick brew. Good.

M: Huge and heavy! Very stick with a great carbonation. A bit of a cloying bitter finish. Decent.

D: A little harder to go down because it's so thick and heavy with an accent on the booze. Decent.

All in all, this seems like my first middle of the road brew from CC. Everything I've had from them has either been great or a letdown. This one is just decent. Most I've had were great from them. This one is good if you like roasty, huge, heavy, and thick stouts. I do like these types of stouts, but this one does not seem to pull it off as well as some others. Need to crack another Hunahpu soon. That's a stout thick like this, but well, VERY WELL, done. (1,365 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -13.9%

Draft @ GingerMan NYC. Pours a dark dark dark brown (pretty much black) with a crazy thick inch of dark brown foam/head which leaves a boat ton of sticky brown lacing.

Aromas of extreme dark chocolate, roasted malts and dark bitter chocolate. As it warms I get some sweet dark molasses and a little smoke in the background. Some hefty espresso emerges and begins to dominate it continues to warm.

The taste is initially astringent dark roasty malts and dark bitter chocolate. Roasted charred malts are also rather prominent. Strong coffee/espresso notes come through as well. Some sweeter milk chocolate emerges as it warms but the roasted, bitter, astringent malts are a bit too dominant and a taste I am slowly beginning to dislike in my beers.

Mouthfeel is sticky and full bodied for sure. Chewy in an understatement here. Extremely thick, syrupy, viscous and mouth-coating. Much more carbonation than I experienced in last year's bottled version which had some carbonation issues I recall reading somewhere.

Overall this is a good tasting beer but the heavy chewiness in the body and roasted bitter, charred malt flavors are just too dominant for my tastes. I would prefer some more balanced milk chocolate flavors but I guess that is more the American Stout category as opposed to the RIS category here. Better than I remember, but my small sample at the bar was enough as I would struggle to finish the 750ml that this is typically bottled in. Maybe I am just over the Russian Imperial Stout category or my tastes have just shifted away from enjoying these huge chewy beast beers. (1,591 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -13.9%

deep-ass black, the darkest head ive seen yet, this just after drinking black tuesday and the abyss. pillowy too. superb.

smell is prominently fruit. is it melon? watermelon? hard to tell. next up, wondering why i havent noticed them yet, are roasts that vary from familiar roasted malts to those id smell emanating from a coffee grinder.

taste is bitter, big molasses, fruitiness that includes that mystery melon from before along with prunes that were picked as not-quite-ripe plums, a bitterness that i perceive to be coming from hops that havent done us the favor of fading yet. the coffee comes through and might share some of that bitterness as well, but also provides a nice roastiness.

for an imperial stout, a medium mouthfeel that could stand to be a bit thicker. regardless, it is quite nice and is certainly as thick as many in this style that ive tried. i think it was not done justice by following black tuesday and the abyss. but, that is how it happened.

this is the least balanced of the three. the bitterness is a couple notches too high, as i prefer my stouts sweet and decadent. however, if youre into those more hop-forward stouts, you may find this one quite to your liking. (1,200 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -13.9%

Big thanks to Jw347 who I owe after he really stunned me with a couple incredible extras.

Pours black with some brown edging. Big gigantic brown foam head. A fantastic looking beer.

Smells faintly of hops and dark fruit, and strongly of roasted earth, malt, and coffee. Whoa. Pretty roasty.

Taste is massively roasted. I mean, charred, scorched wood/earth/malt/coffee roasted. I won't lie: it is palate wearying after a while. The light surprising hint of dark fruit and citrus, and some bitter chocolate, liven things up, but this beer is bone dry and kilned like a scorched desert. Man. It's like acrid ashy malt with some livening notes to keep it drinkable.

Wish I could have split the bottle with someone. Good, but a bit much. (737 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.1%

Thanks to bobby8405 for this 750ml bottle. 2 pours into an oversized snifter.

A slow initial pour directly into the center of the glass yields a dense and very dark tan (more like light brown) head. This slowly reduces to a skim. Creamy sheets of lace slide back into the glass, leaving a few sticky spots. Retention and lacing both increase substantially with the second pour.

Very assertive roasty nose. Lots of espresso, cocoa and burnt malt. Sweetness plays a smaller part- bittersweet chocolate, a few chocolate chips. No sign of booziness, an impressive feat at this ABV. Strong and inviting.

The espresso is rather dominant in the mouth initially. Tangy chocolate chips and raisins vie for attention with the roasted and burnt malts. The booze that was seemingly absent in the nose is definitely in play now, but it's not out of place at all. It joins with a cherry character to create a bit of a liquer aftertaste. Some earthy and herbal hops linger as well. A hint of something slightly odd I can't quite put my finger on, maybe diacetyl, drops it down a notch, but still very tasty.

The carbonation is perhaps a touch too vigorous, but the body is otherwise quite satisfying, thick and coating.

Overall impression: Nice beer. Seems to be a good candidate for aging (although I do wonder what that strange flavor was). (1,332 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from a 750 bottle into a snifter glass. This bottle was aged at least a year, maybe a little longer.

A: Wow, this is a deep black color with some red tints to it. Two finger reddish brown head leaves massive glass lacing the never goes away.

S: Tons of dark roasted smells with dark chocolate, smoke, licorice and some sweetness.

T: Wow, so roasty. Roasted malts just dominate with deep flavors of smoke, licorice, dark chocolate, hints of tar and coffee and some caramel and toffee sweetness. The dark roasted flavors mix with the sweet but never go away. Burnt woody tones make it chalky on the finish with a decent alcohol kick to it.

M: Full, coating, lasting roast flavors, higher carbonation and some alcohol.

O: A good stout, but not a great stout. I think maybe I hurt this with the age because the coffee is pretty non existent and the dark roasted flavors pound the mouth. I thought some more hops could have helped balance, but as I said it's possible the hops were muted from age.

Overall I enjoyed it, but it is not a top tier RIS or Imp stout IMO. I had this then the Voodoo BBVD on consecutive nights and the BBVD is a much more complex and enjoyable beer. Summation? Good, but not great.

Updated 10/1/12. Tried this beer again over the weekend. 750 bottle poured into a snifter glass.

S: Getting just a ton of roasted smells with much more charred and burnt wood. Still no hop notes.

T: The dark roasted flavors of this beer seem one dimensional to me. Very charred, burnt, roasted and tar really take over. No hints of fruit, hops, coffee or even chocolate. It all seems dark and dank.

This is my second bottle and it pretty much is the same. I guess this beer is just not for me. (1,716 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -14.4%

Picked this up on a trip to Orlando in Sept. 2010.

Poured from a 750ml. bottle and shared with my wife.

Appearance: Blacker than black body but no head at all. Kind of plops into the glass. Very viscous as it leaves a film on the glass as it's tilted.

Smell: Dark chocolate, bit sweet, robust coffee. Not as strong as i would have expected but still pleasant.

Taste: Hazelnut, layer of roasted coffee, long finish. Flavor is gradual, builds up in the middle. Molasses cookies, lingering coffee flavor. Not as complex as ABV would indicate.

Mouthfeel: Real thick yet retains a slick smooth feel. A bit syrupy.

Overall: Real good but still haven't found one that tops DL. (675 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -14.6%

Thanks to Jettanbass9 for hooking me up with this CCB brew. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Pretty freaking nice. Absolute clear separation between the body and head. Poured a dark black color...almost like the color of an infinite abyss. Zero visibility. Produced three fingers with of cocoa, tan colored head. Stellar head retention and some lacing as consumed.

S- A very nice aroma indeed. Toasted malts with a bit of a charred character. While this dominated, I could pick up a nice subtle layer of sweetness underneath...almost like molasses.

T- Bittering, chocolate malts and slight fruit character upfront that quickly transitions into a roasted, charred flavor. Finishes with a tad bit of creamy, sweetness and a decent amount of heat.

M- Medium bodied, pretty smooth. Wished this was a little more viscous.

D- With the level of bitterness upfront, and then the heavy charred flavors and big alcohol heat on the back end, my one glass became a pretty big chore to put down.

Overall, this is only my second beer from CCB, but I have not been impressed whatsoever. It was dressed for the part and had a pretty decent aroma, but just really fell apart in the other three areas. Hopefully they can prove me wrong down the road. (1,258 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Thick, viscous, and flat. No head. No lacing. The liquid itself is a glossy black.

S: Sweet raisin and roasted malts.

T: A sweet and rich blend of chocolate, raisins, molasses, and dark malts. A bit acidic.

M: Thick, flat, and syrupy, yet still manages to finish with an odd thinness.

D: The lack of carbonation greatly distracted from this beer and I simply could not enjoy it. I would hesitate to even call it a sipper as it offered little to invite you back for another sip. (487 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle, 2010 version.

Appearance: Pours out completely pitch black and very viscous-looking. About a finger of a dark brown/orangish tinted head forms. A bit in the way of lacing, and okay retention. This is definitely one of the more impressive imperial stouts as far as viscosity that I've seen, which really picks this beer up from an appearance standpoint.

Smell: Both bitter and sweet chocolate as well as cacao nibs come out immediately to me. Underneath that, I get vanilla, light dark fruits and toffee, and a big roasted/bitter/ burned malt presence with a touch of hops on the back end.

Taste: Bitter roasted malts right up front. Bitter chocolate, vanilla and coffee as well. Lightly hoppy on the back end, and I can feel the alcohol in the back of the throat more than I can taste it. I did like it, but I would call it a touch messy overall; too much malt bitterness and it still seemed pretty hot at this point.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Despite the head that formed on the pour, this beer has a surprisingly low amount of carbonation. It is heavy bodied and very viscous, but comes close to being flat. I don't think I care for it too much. Overall, I enjoyed the beer but wouldn't go out of my way for it again. A bit more time in the cellar would have done this one some good. (1,290 characters)

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing