Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008)
NYManc

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into a snifter. Courtesy of BA infi! Shared with BA r0nyn and infi's brother.

A: Thick motor oil black with no head and lacing. When placed under the light I can see a deep dark red mixed in. No head whats so ever, but when swirled around a small mocha head seems to emerge. No lacing whatsoever as well.

S: Wow, a very sweet smelling RIS. Sweet sweet toffee and chocolate mixed with an Espresso. A hint of malts mixed in with all this after a few sniffs.

T: Creamy goodness of coffee very well blended with chocolate. Overwhelming (in a good sense) after taste of extremely smoked malts. It lingers for a very long time after the gulp has disappeared.

M: Extremely rich, creamy, and smooth. Heavy body

D: This brew will disappear before you know it. 11.50% ABV is hidden like a ninja. High drinkability.

10-07-2010 22:21:30 | More by NYManc
russwbeck

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

A: My God. The darkest, thickest head I have ever seen. Period. Dark brown in color to almost black. Creamy, lacing beautiful as it finally recedes down the glass. It leaves a cap not unlike whipped cream to introduce you to the beer.

S: Are those hops I smell? Certainly some, mixed in with coffee. Molasses, coffee, smoke, and a ton of chocolate. No alcohol is noted at all.

T: The chocolate really dominates the beginning of this beer, followed by the molasses and smoke. At this point in my mind I'm thinking about how sweet this beer is, that was not to last. You get nailed with coffee, roastiness, and a bone dry finish.

MF: Thick, creamy, extremely heavy. Carbonated well. No hint of the 11% ABV

O: This beer is simply phenomenal. I wonder what age will do to it, but I have to figure the coffee would step back the the chocolate would take an even larger part of the beer, if not thin out a bit. Very, very good fresh.

09-25-2011 02:52:58 | More by russwbeck
greenmonstah

New Hampshire

750 mL bottle shared w/ one other

A - As dark and rich as BA Yeti was, this takes that to an insane new level. Beer clops out of the bottle in chunks and coats the glass like used oil. Blacker than Batman. The head is darkest brown I've seen since big brother Hunahpu.

S - Just an incredible display of roasted malts, this is a very straightforward stout that emphasizes the art of malt selection.

T - Again this stout is the perfect showcase of the roasted malt combined with sweetness. So balanced, this can be, and is, used as a basis for all kinds of incredible barrel aging and secondary fermentations for good reason. They perfected the malt flavors and went from there.

M - Thicker than anything I've had in over a year. This stuff has to be chewed. Perfect finish.

O - Overall this beer is incredible. I've already gone into it, the beer is the perfect imperial stout. I need to try every variant, and every Hunahpu. This beer re-affirmed my adoration of Hunahpu's. WOW.

06-18-2012 21:56:14 | More by greenmonstah
GrindFatherBob

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

'11 Vintage poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip. Thanks to Cigar City for this one!

A- Pitch black, slick like oil. The head is the most beautiful dark chestnut color I've ever seen on a beer, leaves streaks of thick lacing down the glass.

S- Sweet coffee mixed with dark chocolate. Molasses. Toffee with a hint of alcohol at the end.

T- Divine. Blackstrap molasses. Bittersweet dark chocolate/cocoa nibs. Toffee, mild alcohol hidden very well. Almost tastes like blackberry on the finish.

M- Juicy and thick. I like my stouts like I like my men. Lingers on the palate for an amazing bittersweet feel on the tongue.

O- One of the greatest Imperial Stouts I've ever had, could drink this every day. Cigar City, I fucking love you

10-04-2011 01:33:52 | More by GrindFatherBob

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

08-15-2014 02:41:31 | More by VBWharfRat
basscram

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

bought the 750 at cigar city on 10/30/10.
poured into my goblet glass and it pours like motor oil into a glass. their is no head or lacing, even as it is swirled around.
Color is black and light brown at the top. cannot shine light through this.

smell is slightly charred nuts but VERY light smell.
first taste is wow! Very thick. As I let it move along my tongue, a lot of chocolaty goodness is what I experience, almost like M&M's. The alcohol is hidden in the taste! There is some floral tastes as it subsides on the back of the tongue.

I put drink-ability pretty low because this is definitely not one you would want to gulp but sip on slowly and enjoy like a fine brandy or wine.

I'm very impressed with this beer.

11-02-2010 04:38:52 | More by basscram
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Greg is the man, nuff said. Another one I can finally cross off my list, I was able to open this one up and go to town on it last night. Served cold and poured into a snifter over the course of a couple hours, this one was consumed on 02/11/2010.

Best pour that could have happened, hands down. Simply astounding with the deepest, darkest black color possible and a huge, towering head of dark tan that nearly over topped the rim of the glass and simply refused to go anywhere. Could not have asked for it to look better, perfect. Could smell this one from across the room. Dark molasses, coffee, dark, dark chocolate just filling the air. Hints of dark wood, sweet, licorice, just an immense, immense aroma coming off of this one, I was really, really impressed from the start. Each sip seemed fuller more intense and luscious then the one before. Dark chocolate and coffee and dominant now, with vanilla creeping in but not overtaking, then a smack down of lightly bitter coffee seals it and I am in love. A full on RIS, this is what it is all about. Warming brings the coffee out front and center and everything starts to become clear now. Really just is impressive, impressive beer. One of the fullest feels, similar to Dark Lord or Abyss in that department, outstanding balance and flavor and could not ask for it to come across more full.

Overall one of my new favorites. I cannot even imagine what Hunaphus will bring if this one is as good as this, I am just beyond impressed.

02-12-2010 01:24:02 | More by mikesgroove
ThickNStout

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +5%

750mL bottle. Bottled July 2011. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

Pours gleaming jet black with a most beautiful two fingers of chocolate head. Small occasional patches of lace.

Rich aromas of dark fruit, molasses and cocoa. Sweet and inviting.

Wow, this is a powerhouse of classic robust imperial stout goodness! Raisin, currant, dark chocolate, molasses, leather, cherry pit, creamed coffee and caramel. Rich and delicious, only small traces of the 11% abv.

Nailed it on the feel! Oily thick, with a small pop or carbonation. Creamy, tongue coating and heavy. A lingering sweet thick aftertaste.

Another homerun from Cigar City. One of the finest imperial stouts that I've had the pleasure of trying. I'm sure the year of aging didn't hurt anything and I'm looking forward to what the other one I have will taste like in another 6-12 months. If you can try this, you should. Fantastic.

07-29-2012 01:14:31 | More by ThickNStout
camil1mj

2011 release poured at cellar temp into my Founder's snifter,

A: B E A utiful! Deep, dark brown. 2 finger mocha head that is slow to recede. Lots of sticky lacing. One of the best looking stouts I have ever seen.

S: Roasted, chocolately malt.

T: Just like it smells. Deep, dark, silky, roasted chocolate.

M: The thickest, chewiest, creamiest stout I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. This make this one stand out.

O: One of the top 3 non-BA stouts I have had. CCB deserves the acclaim it gets for the stouts they produce.

08-23-2011 23:01:07 | More by camil1mj
adam42381

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Review from notes at World of Beer - Fort Myers on 9/17/11.

Poured on draft into a snifter.

Appearance: Dark as night, completely opaque motor oil black with a 1 finger creamy dark mocha head. Perfect lacing. I don't think a stout could look any better.

Smell: Coffee, chocolate, sweet malt and a touch of toffee.

Taste: Sweet malt, chocolate and molasses up front followed by coffee in the middle before ending with toasted malt and bitter hops. Aftertaste is bitter with a touch of burnt toast.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, thick and creamy. Very smooth.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. The alcohol will keep me from drinking multiples, but you could easily down more than one.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. I love it from the bottle, but the draft was just phenomenal. If you ever see it on draft, make sure you try it.

09-25-2011 15:43:01 | More by adam42381
WanderingFool

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Marshal Zhukov pour flat black into the glass with a very small brown head on top. A few spots of lace stick to the glass.

The aroma is rich with chocolate, roasted malt, nuts, dark fruit (raisin, fig) and a touch of coffee.

Each sip of this full bodied beer is velvety smooth, creamy with light carbonation. The rich flavor is loaded with chocolate, roasted malt, toffee, nuts, and dark fruit (raisin). It finishes mildly bitter with a touch of grass. Once gone the chocolate and nutty notes linger on the palate.

This beer has an awesome mouthfeel with a full flavor that expands as it warms. I hope someday I can get another bottle.

02-25-2013 00:20:01 | More by WanderingFool
SGDJosh

4.58/5  rDev +5%

CCB Marshal Zhukov Imperial Russian Stout bottled on August 31 2012 and tasted on 9/14 from bottle. Fresh tasting...

Pours pitch black with a dark brown head. Very thick

Smells of rich coffee, espresso, smoke, roasted malts. Long dry finish that leaves you wanting more.

Mouthfeel is very full bodied, plenty of tactile sensations - velvety but dry.

Overall opinion is that this beer is great! Loads of flavor and mouthfeel. This is a fresh tasting and I will revisit a cellared bottle later

09-15-2012 01:40:23 | More by SGDJosh
mcallister

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Amazing looking beer. Deep oily black with one of the best colored heads I've witnessed. Dark mocha colored and oozing rolling bubbles like molten lava.

Layers of black fruits and dark chocolate. Burnt caramel and some light leathery notes and earth. Blueberry, currant, tobacco, and more, great nose.

This is a fantastic beer, smooth, round, creamy mouthfeel. Tastes like a mocha latte. Cream, burnt sugar, espresso and chocolate in the front and middle, and black fruits and earth through the finish. Delectable beer huge malts, perfect balance and amazing mouthfeel.

12-10-2011 20:32:12 | More by mcallister
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Original review was a 75cl bottle of the 2012 vintage poured at a recent beer tasting yesterday, 7/21/2013, so about a year old. It was poured into an unlabeled snifter glass at room temperature. The updated review is a 75cl bottle of the 2013 vintage poured into a Cigar City snifter yesterday, 9/11/2013. So the updated review is a reflection of the beer when it's fresh.

The nose gives me a good bit of dark chocolate and definitely molasses, with a bit of hefty espresso in the background. I can tell that this beer is the base for the Hunahpu as I recognize some of the notes here. There is also a bit of hop presence here, kind of like in the Founders' Imperial Stout or Victory Storm King. Smells good.

The beer pretty much pours a super thick, viscous motor oil into a straight up dark brown abyss. It is opaque with a creamy mocha head that extends over a cm and slowly dissipates into nothingness, which leaves the beer a placid pool of blackness. Lacing is there in spots and falls back into the beer as I sip on it. It stains the glass brown as I swirl it, much like Hunahpu does. It's so viscous, thick and hefty. Great looking stout!

As I drink this beer, I recognize the flavours I pick out in the nose. The molasses is definitely strong here, providing a nice dose of pure sweetness that is balanced out by the bitterness of the dark chocolate and espresso notes. The finish is just so dark chocolatey and roasty, it is incredible. In my opinion, this finish is missing in the 1 year old Zhukov compared to the fresh version... in the aged version, there is a lot less espresso and the dark chocolate is really more of a lighter, non-bitter milk chocolate type of flavour. But yeah, the fresh version is very complex with so much intense flavours yet it is so well-balanced and transitions very well with each flavour I pick out. I had to remind myself that this was not aged in bourbon barrels.

The body itself is incredibly thick as I alluded to before.. typical Cigar City stout viscosity and creaminess. Such a full bodied beer, with solid carbonation that drinks so very smoothly and feels creamy. Chewy and decadent. Leaves a finish similar to bitter dark chocolate with some roast marshmallow sweetness and a dash of sweet brown sugar.

An outstanding Imperial Stout. Cigar City knows what they're doing.. well, we all knew that already. Zhukov is a strong, complex beer that will keep you warm and interested. I recommend trying this one at least once when you get the chance. Having tried a bunch of RIS's out there, I can confidently say that I prefer Marshal Zhukov to any of the acknowledged RIS heavyweights such as Darkness, Plead the Fifth, Dark Lord, Ten Fidy, Stone IRS etc. Now if Cigar City released a barrel-aged Marshall Zhukov in bottles.. the world would probably collapse on itself.

07-22-2013 03:57:10 | More by Stevedore
CampusCrew

4.58/5  rDev +5%

appearance: deep dark black, nearly ebony, loaded head and creamy garnet reddish froth. it was almost metallic swirling around in the glass. Was beautiful and probably the most attractive beer I have seen in a glass.

smell: loaded coffee, and heavy chocolate aromas

taste: rich and slight chocolate roasted flavors but had a smooth rich taste, Dry, not sweet at all. loads of coffee flavor.

mouthfeel: thick, creamy, good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: amazing, best stout and one of the best beers I have eve had. I compared this side by side with a BORIS and it blew it away. Not even close.

01-10-2010 17:49:58 | More by CampusCrew
Beechner719

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Awesome Beer. Pours dark black with a nice tan head. This thing is like a milkshake. Very thick. It is everything a RIS should be. It doesnt get much better than this. If you havent had this beer, get it immediately. Smells of coffee with a tiny hint of cherries as it warms up. I would recommend drinking this at room temperature. The characteristics come out a lot more.

09-06-2013 16:07:29 | More by Beechner719
silentjay

4.58/5  rDev +5%

holy shit thats a thick, dark pour. I swear its coming out in chunks. a very dark head that is the color of coffee with just one creamer added. it sticks around a bit and leaves behind wonderful lacing.

first aroma is black strap molasses backed up with tons of chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, some firewood, a bit of charcoal (not smoky, though). an intoxicating aroma.

a woody flavor comes out first with black strap molasses, pure cacao, burnt dark roast coffee. maybe a bit of licorice and definitely some charcoal. so rich. This beer is gonna last me all night.

one of the thickest beers I have come across. carbonation is spot on as well as it makes its presence known, but does not take away from the creaminess.

wow. Thanks to Retail1LO for sending this my way. I definitely like this one better than the Parabola I traded for it (though thats no slouch either!) gotta get my hands on more of this. As well as more Cigar City beers. Judging only by this example, they may have worked out the carbonation/quality assurance kinks they had previously.

09-22-2011 02:34:05 | More by silentjay

08-22-2014 05:34:39 | More by kmanjohnson
drmcleod10

Missouri

4.56/5  rDev +4.6%

Generously shared by John and split between essentially him and I
2013 bottle poured into 2 snifters

A - Dark as night. Thick creamy pour that leaves a 1/4 finger mocha head that resides back into the glass after a moment. Really solid looking stout

S - Smell is huge nose of tobacco with dark fruits, figs and some roasted dark chocolate. One of the most tobacco forward smelling beers I've had

T - Taste follows the nose with huge tobacco and dark fruit flavors on the front followed by bitter dark chocolate and hints of molasses and coffee

M - Creamy full bodied stout with moderate amount of carbonation

O - This was an awesome beer that I was honored to be able to try. Thanks John

New Hampshire

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this beer

Review adapted from notes taken 3/31/12

Appearance: Dark, to say the least - pitch black, with a dark brown head - small, spotty lacing - looks like oily sludge, seriously leaves a film on the glass

Smell: Burnt and absurd - an utterly massive amount of malts, like liquified burnt bread, so heavy and so burnt - dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, other burnt aromas

Taste: Burnt chocolate and... malt extract?! - caramel (like, a cube of caramel candy), coffee, sugar, vanilla, chocolate, dark fruits - extreme, to say the least - the maltiness is insane, tastes like concentrated extract that should be watered down to make into beer

Mouthfeel: One of the heaviest beers I have ever had, ever - sludgy, extremely heavy, like burnt malt syrup, yet somehow has enough carbonation to hold it together

Overall - This is a monster

Multiple aspects of this beer are simply unbelievable. This is something to make into beer, not a stand-alone product. You could probably eat this with a spoon.

04-26-2012 05:34:58 | More by angrybabboon
GJ40

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Sampled from a 750ml bottle dated 31Aug2012 in a DFH snifter. Thanks surge1311!!!

A - Deep black with no light. A sturdy tan head that clings nicely to the glass. I enjoyed watching it stick with each sip then oh so slowly slide down the side.

S - Rich malt aromas with molasses, brown sugar, roasted marshmallows, chocolate and coffee. Great depth and complexity.

T - Like the aroma, rich malts dominate. Lots of dark chocolate. Great complexity. Smooth with no rough edges.

M - Thick and chewy yet an aspect of light and airy. Fantastic.

O - This is the stuff oil workers scrape off their shoes. But unlike them, this is not something you wish away. A great brew from an unlikely part of the country.

12-14-2013 22:42:00 | More by GJ40