Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008

Reviews: 503 | Hads: 2,398
4.11/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark brown, opaque color with a dark brown head. Aroma of roasted malt, whiskey like alcohol and wood. I'm the taste, dark roast coffee, dark fruits, dark chocolate and alcohol. Palate coating dark chocolates with some intense citrus hops in a die hard fashion. Coffee, smoke, charcoal and earthy at that. Faint vanilla like hint. Warming booze. Full bodied feel, smooth, with an even carbonation. Overall this is a great big stout. (440 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Probably the best none-barrel aged Imperial Stout I've tasted!

Appearance: The color was quite simply jet black. While pouring from the bottle it looked thick like motor oil. After swirling it around the glass, the beer stained the surface for some time time. The surface appeared slick and shiny reddish brown. Overall my friend and I agreed that the beer looked like soy sauce. Its thick and pitch black. It can't get anymore specific.

Aroma: picked up mostly milk chocolate, vanilla, and some molasses. The smell is rich and delightful.

Taste: Starts out sweet with roasted malts and finishes with intense bitter dark chocolate. At the beginning of the sip I picked up some sweet vanilla and then it started to become more rich in molasses. However the finish was the extra kick. Finishes complex and bitter with a ton of chocolate! It's not so boozy; very very smooth, the flavors transition one after another really well.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and heavy bodied. Slick in the mouth.

Overall: I love it. I've had many Imperial Stouts and I started to feel there were not much differences between many of them. But this stands out. The complexity of the beer is incredible, most particularly the bitter chocolate finish. Seek this out!! (1,248 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

Awesome Beer. Pours dark black with a nice tan head. This thing is like a milkshake. Very thick. It is everything a RIS should be. It doesnt get much better than this. If you havent had this beer, get it immediately. Smells of coffee with a tiny hint of cherries as it warms up. I would recommend drinking this at room temperature. The characteristics come out a lot more. (372 characters)

4.25/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a viscous black with a nice chocolaty head like a nice good stout should be

S - Nose is sticky chocolate and caramel malts with some soy sauce notes coming out.

T - Starts off with sweet soy sauce. The sweetness is kicked up with notes of vanilla... the sweetness is knocked back down by some rich milk and bakers chocolate flavors. Toasted notes finish it off. It is overall more sweet then toasty. This is how I picture the base beer of Bourbon County Stout tasting like.

M- smooth and viscous with some carbonation burn in the back

D - This was a fantastic stout. Sweeter then most but not cloying. I have only had barrel aged versions, which have all been amazing...I can see why because the base beer is damn good. Solid stuff! (746 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at CCB on August 31, 2013. They served it to me in a CCB Snifter.

This beer poured an absolute black color. CCB has plenty of light in their tasting room, but it wasn't hard to tell that this beer was a pitch black color. It was as black as a German Soldier's heart during WWII. That's pretty damn black! On top of this ink black brew was a 1/4 of an inch dark mocha colored head of foam. This nice looking head of foam had nice retention that left behind a small, but fat sized string of rings along the edge of the glass. Beautiful appearance!

This is the type of aroma that you want to find in an Imperial Stout. The aroma was hugely roasted with a nice subtle sweetness to back it up. Right up front was the dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, and dark roasted espresso beans. Once it got the roasted aromas out of the way, in comes the dark fruits. The dark fruit punch consisted mostly of black cherry with a touch of plum and raisins. This beer isn't over yet. This beer then finishes up with a nice caramel/molasses aroma.

The taste was just as complex as the sweet ass aroma. Like the aroma, it was the dry roasted elements that kicked off the taste. That's where I found the dark roasted malt, bitter dark chocolate, and a nice amount of roasted espresso beans. The roasted element of the taste was so big that it overshadowed the dark fruits and the subtle sweetness. My tastebuds could only pick out some raisins, black cherry, a touch of plum, and a miniature taste of caramel/molasses. It wasn't hard to tell who controlled the taste of this beer.

This was a dry full bodied thick Imperial Stout with a good level of carbonation and a lingering roasted aftertaste. This aftertaste wasn't going anywhere and I'm fine with that. If couldn't tell from my taste description, the aftertaste contained dry roasted malt, bitter dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, a few dark fruits and a subtle taste of caramel.

I've had this beer a few times, but never bothered to review it. I know, I'm a bad person. There's no doubt about it. This is a really good beer. I didn't know Marshal Zhukov personally, but I'm sure he would be proud to have this beer attached to his name. It's good in the bottles and really good on tap. (2,244 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So, this is the stout that started my romance with stouts. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. When I ordered a glass (at 11$) I was hoping that the hype surrounding this beer would be true. As soon as I put the glass up to my face the chocolatey-espresso smell punched me in the nose. I tipped the glass up and the motor oil slowly slid into my mouth. The chocolate and espresso flavor was instant and the gulp did not leave me with any bitter or spicy taste. The feel was smooth and I knew I had found my favorite beer.

Excellent beer. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect score is because I want to remain optimistic that there is something better out there, even though I doubt there is.

Cheers (717 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

I had this imperial stout and I feel in love with Stouts. I honestly had never had a stout besides Samuel smith oatmeal stout and Guinness but honestly I don't count those. It's all about IMPERIAL STOUTS. So I was told to try this by a very knowledgeable dude in the craft beer game so I tried it and fell in love dude. Great aged or out of the tap or in the bottle. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on this, please do yourself a favor. I've had this couple times on tap and in bottle and it's as good as the first time, every time. I would give it 5/5 but I always think things can only get better. (608 characters)

Many thanks to GeorgiaBeerGuy for this bottle and welcome to the Lehigh Valley for delivering this in person to enjoy together!

A - Pours a pitch black with a thin toffee colored lacing that's very viscous and sticky, and thick.

S - Thick aroma, molasses, caramel, vanilla, oak, cream, and chocolate.

T - Lots of oak, chocolate, molasses, some booziness, and extremely light cherry flavor.

M - Thick, full bodied, viscous, sticky, and velvet texture.

O - So glad I finally had the opportunity to try this beer! (515 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pitch black stout beautifullness.

S: The roasted malts, hint of chocolate and some booze.

T: Russian imperial stout 101, brewed to perfection. complex without being overwhelming. it hits all musts of this variety. Drinks pretty easy even at 11%. really tasty.

O: wish i had bought more. i would love to sit on a few of these and see how they develop. (358 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +17.2%

This is a definite wow beer. It comes on a tiny bit hot, not much at all though and I get an initial splash of coffee and toffee. Vanilla slithers its way in after the toffee and it ends with probably my favorite finish of any beer yet. Absolutely incredible, a finish of dark chocolate covered cherries... a sort of dark chocolate black cherry flavor. The finish of this beer is so incredible, I have to say it probably is the best finish and aftertaste of any beer I've had, at least any stout hands down. The nose on this beer is much like any RIS, specifically dark chocolate and toffee stand out to me. All I can say is yeah this beer is a must try for any lovers of Imperial Stouts!
P.S. Many thanks to toofdoc (Josh) and the boys at The Mack House Bottle Share Group for the bottle! (789 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours pitch black, and the head is the darkest I’ve ever seen, milk chocolate color, and excellent retention.

Smell is roast, caramel, chocolate, vanilla, sweet. As it warms up, the roasty and fruity characteristics balance more, quite enjoyable.

Taste is different, chocolate up front, a bit fruity towards the middle and roasty red fruit to finish. Little to no alcohol. As it warms, the fruit is still there, and the primary aftertaste, raspberry and cherry overpower the roast.

A bit of a lighter body than I was expecting from it. Very good stout, pretty unique, but the overpowering red fruit quality keeps it from being higher to me. Still quite enjoyable but could be a bit more balanced. (704 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Original review was a 75cl bottle of the 2012 vintage poured at a recent beer tasting yesterday, 7/21/2013, so about a year old. It was poured into an unlabeled snifter glass at room temperature. The updated review is a 75cl bottle of the 2013 vintage poured into a Cigar City snifter yesterday, 9/11/2013. So the updated review is a reflection of the beer when it's fresh.

The nose gives me a good bit of dark chocolate and definitely molasses, with a bit of hefty espresso in the background. I can tell that this beer is the base for the Hunahpu as I recognize some of the notes here. There is also a bit of hop presence here, kind of like in the Founders' Imperial Stout or Victory Storm King. Smells good.

The beer pretty much pours a super thick, viscous motor oil into a straight up dark brown abyss. It is opaque with a creamy mocha head that extends over a cm and slowly dissipates into nothingness, which leaves the beer a placid pool of blackness. Lacing is there in spots and falls back into the beer as I sip on it. It stains the glass brown as I swirl it, much like Hunahpu does. It's so viscous, thick and hefty. Great looking stout!

As I drink this beer, I recognize the flavours I pick out in the nose. The molasses is definitely strong here, providing a nice dose of pure sweetness that is balanced out by the bitterness of the dark chocolate and espresso notes. The finish is just so dark chocolatey and roasty, it is incredible. In my opinion, this finish is missing in the 1 year old Zhukov compared to the fresh version... in the aged version, there is a lot less espresso and the dark chocolate is really more of a lighter, non-bitter milk chocolate type of flavour. But yeah, the fresh version is very complex with so much intense flavours yet it is so well-balanced and transitions very well with each flavour I pick out. I had to remind myself that this was not aged in bourbon barrels.

The body itself is incredibly thick as I alluded to before.. typical Cigar City stout viscosity and creaminess. Such a full bodied beer, with solid carbonation that drinks so very smoothly and feels creamy. Chewy and decadent. Leaves a finish similar to bitter dark chocolate with some roast marshmallow sweetness and a dash of sweet brown sugar.

An outstanding Imperial Stout. Cigar City knows what they're doing.. well, we all knew that already. Zhukov is a strong, complex beer that will keep you warm and interested. I recommend trying this one at least once when you get the chance. Having tried a bunch of RIS's out there, I can confidently say that I prefer Marshal Zhukov to any of the acknowledged RIS heavyweights such as Darkness, Plead the Fifth, Dark Lord, Ten Fidy, Stone IRS etc. Now if Cigar City released a barrel-aged Marshall Zhukov in bottles.. the world would probably collapse on itself. (2,826 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a motor oil black with the slightest bit of a brown head. Only a whisp remains after a few seconds. Super sticky leg in the lacing. Carbonation minimal. After Dark Lord, about the thickest looking beer i've seen.

Smell is chocolate and dark fruits. Not overpowering but very good for the style.

Taste is chocolate, bitter roastiness, sugary sweetness, dark fruit, and a slightly bitter, dry finish. A nice complex taste with all notes integrated well.

Mouthfeel is full and super smooth. Reminds me a lot of Founders IS in that regard. The highpoint of the beer.

Overall, this joins Founders IS as my favorite "normal" IS. Of course founders is significantly cheaper and easier to find, so this loses out in that regard. Cigar City continues to impress me with their stouts and I look forward to trying more and more of their stuff. (843 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

750mL (bottled 8/31/2012) into a snifter. Pours a thick, oily pitch black w/ a deep reddish tan head. Absolutely opaque and black as night. This is an impressive looking imperial stout.

Aroma is thick and sticky as well. Molasses, dark roasted malt, rich chocolate, vanilla, dark stone fruit.

Taste faithfully follows nose. Bittersweet chocolate, sticky molasses, rum-soaked figs, espresso, vanilla, toffee, and just a touch of booze. There's a ton of dense sticky sweetness here, but it's balanced perfectly by a sharp, cocoa-like bitterness.

Mouthfeel is chewy and coating; thick and rich. Decadent. Yet it somehow manages to vanish off the palate and finishes semi-dry, leaving behind a nice chocolatey aftertaste that lingers like a rich bittersweet truffle.

Overall, a truly impressive Russian imperial stout and a genuine dessert beer. I was expecting this to be good, but not this good. (897 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on date of August 31, 2012, so about 9 months old. I actually bought this bottle from Letspour. Poured from a 750 ml bottle into my Cigar City snifter.

A - One of the most badass looking brews I have ever seen. Motor oil is honestly an understatement -- the viscosity of this beer is hard to describe, but it is extremely impressive. Even more, the darkest head I have ever seen pops up to cap off the beer. Nice alcohol legs, with nonexistant lacing.

S - Awesomely complex, with bitter chocolate, high-quality coffee (bordering on espresso), some nice hop bitterness, and a bit of vanilla to round things out.

T - Immediately pounds your palate with an immense bitterness, only to have this recede and the bitter chocolate, roasted malts and awesome espresso assault your taste buds. Each sip left an aftertaste of 5 minutes that imprinted itself on my memory.

M - Thick, thick, thick. Almost like a beer milkshake. Minimal carbonation, but that fits perfectly with the style, in my opinion. Layers upon layers of sweetness simply coat the mouth and lips. The most impressive mouthfeel I've ever had.

O - I was admittedly pretty excited to try this, but this even managed to exceed my expectations. Especially in terms of appearance and mouthfeel, I'm not sure that I can conceive of anything more ideal. Can't wait to open up my Hunahpu's now! (1,359 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours like motor oil; thick, black and viscous with the densest of heads. The head was a brown color but had a near black outer coating.

Chocolate malt scent with dried fruitiness such as dates or even apricot. There is a little coconut and vanilla in the scent with a creamy marshmallow.

The taste has dry chocolate, dried fruit, marshmallow, vanilla espresso, and milk chocolate. The taste and feel scream out creaminess with dry Graham cracker tones. There is so much going on yet this is a solid cohesive stout. Strong, thick and tasty it's a huge player. (561 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 2012 vintage 750 ml bottle into a Cigar City Brewing branded snifter

Pours a thick, viscous dark midnight black capped by by a dark brown one and half finger head. I'm always amazed by how Zhukov pours; this is one huge, thick RIS. Strong roasty malt, bakers chocolate, boozy alcohol, and dark fruit. One sip brings an explosion of flavor, charred dark chocolate malt, huge plum, prune, and black cherry notes, molasses which finishes with continued bold roasted malt, dark roast coffee/espresso, and warming alcohol. Ridiculously complex. The mouthfeel of this brew leaves nothing to be desired, huge and viscious, oily, velvety, creamy and silky. The most full-bodied brew that I've ever had and possibly the best mouthfeel of any brew I've had. As far as I'm concerned Marshal Zhukov is the one of the standards for Russian Imperial Stouts. Quite possibly the best brew I've ever had in the style. (915 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Pours a very thick black, very oily looking and viscous. A small brown colored head forms upon pouring and reduces to a thin cap on top. Minimal lacing.

S: Tons of molasses, it really dominates the aroma. There is some chocolate mixed in, a little bit of coffee, and faint roast. Definitely know its got some alcohol in it as well.

T: The flavor is certainly still full of molasses, but to a lesser extent. The chocolate is more pronounced, with some licorice and faint dark stone fruit. The roast comes through on the finish nicely, not much alcohol presence.

M: Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Slight warming as it goes down.

O: A big stout for sure. Really over powering in terms of thickness and sweetness, great if it is the only beer you plan on drinking. (779 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 bottle poured into a snifter.

A - pours a thick, midnight black with a half finger of chocolate colored head. Can't see anything through the glass.

S - great smelling beer, smells really big. Smells of chocolate, roasted malt, coffee underlying the big boozy smell that is right up front.

T - really complex tasting beer. Really big notes of chocolate, molasses, licorice, coffee, and a lot of fruit flavors like cherries and prunes, if you can believe that. The alcohol is definitely there and has that alcohol burn with each drink. Despite the alcohol in each taste, it's an easy beer to drink, really smooth going down.

M - thick presence lingers with lingering tastes of chocolate, fruits and coffee. very smooth finish.

O - this is a great beer yet a pretty big one that will probably be unbelievable given 2-3 years in the cellar. I love complex tasting beers and each flavor plays beautifully off the other. The booziness is present but is balanced out pretty well so its not overwhelming or overpowering the rest of the beer. I'm really glad I had this and thank akuyper for sending it along in our trade. This is a beer that is definitely worth seeking out and trying and/or cellaring. Am very interested to see how this beer tastes after aging for a few years. I can see why it's so highly regarded. (1,320 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Marshal Z pours thick and black and is topped with 1" of brown colored head
Smell: The aroma is a blend of roasted malt, alcohol, toffee and chocolate. The aroma is rather intense good but intense.
Taste: The flavors that erupt from the pint glass is just simply amazing; chocolate, roasted flavors, coffee and a nice amount of alcohol burn.
Mouthfeel: Thick and oily is a great way to describe the way that this beer feels going down. (447 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

2011 vintage (I think, old label). Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a Pipeworks snifter.

A- pours pitch black with a 3" dark cola head. Big trails and giraffe print of lacing remains on the glass, half finger of head remains as well.

S- sweet maple syrup, chocolate, roast, anise and some dark fruits.

T- sweet chocolate, maple syrup, anise, sweet dark fruits, roast and some ash.

M- full body and medium carbonation. Big thick feel, creamy and smooth.

O- better than I expected from what I have heard about MZ. ,anyone the age mellowed the sweetness some, even though it is still very sweet for the style. (611 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Pours thick and dark, completely opaque brown-black. You have heard it before and will hear it again pours like lovable motor oil base with a slightly over-sized head just over a finger's length a very very dark tan with a deep mahogany tint.

Smell: Strong alcohol with a nice burnt sugar scent and strong molasses. This beer doesnt smell it dispenses aroma.

Taste: Comes off with strong molasses, and heavy dark chocolate that feels blended with roasted coffee. It's bitter no doubt but offset with slight sweetness that comes off borderlin perfect.

Mouth: With sweet bitter chocolate, seriously a rarity that a stout like this quenches your thirst. Medium carbonation feels a little lighter than some but how sticky it is what makes this brew worth it.

Overall: This brew hit me the way in way that honestly I would be crazy to leave it alone on the shelf. And to think I already thought I had the best Russian Imperial Stout before this. Great beer, go spend a few bucks...Salud! (1,031 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a brandy snifter. Brewed 31 August 2012.

A: The darkest head I've ever seen. Dark chocolate brown, creamy, with good retention. The beer is black and opaque and viscous.

S: Booze, licorice, bittersweet chocolate. Strong, but not obviously complex. A hint of metal.

T/M: Soft, smooth, and thin. Not what I was expecting. I would say the mouthfeel is flat, but that's not quite right, because it's also velvety-creamy. The flavours are muddled. It's strongly malty, with hints of fruit (date? coconut?) and roasted barley and bittersweet milk chocolate and blackstrap molasses. Still, it's incoherent and I get the distinct feeling that it's not living up to its potential.

O: A nice RIS that's so smooth it goes down perilously easy, but it could perhaps stand a touch of carbonation or hop spice to accent the different, darker flavours that are (not) bubbling under the pitch-like surface. (926 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up from a great trade with Mike! Thick, pitch black pour with an amazing creamy dark caramel colored two finger head with decent retention and crazy lacing. The nose is hugely roasty and subtly sweet with hints of espresso, molasses, dark chocolate, toffee, and booze. The taste is complex and is dominated by the roasted malt along with hints of strong bitter dark chocolate, espresso, wood, burnt coffee, licorice, and some subtle vanilla and dark fruits with just a touch of smoke. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy and slightly oily with a bit of sweetness that is abruptly squashed by a lingering bitter finish. For a beer with such a beautiful head, it had a bit of a flat feel and could have used a touch more carbonation, but that's really being picky. I love the way it coats your mouth with flavor. Overall, this is a big rich bold beer that's really drinkable. First ever Cigar City beer, but definitely not the last! (940 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a bottle into snifter glass
it pours extremely dark almost black
very little head
it smells very smokey
i would say this taste is very smooth, taste of toffee and a sweetness
on the back-end
very balanced hints of lot of flavors but a good mix not one that is overpowering
i spilled a drop with a swirl lol and get a hint of coffee/expresso
overall i find that the hop profile is a little not quite to my tasting
that is why i feel that an overall rating of a 4 possible little lower is what i woudl score
think i may pass on this next time (555 characters)

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing